Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#496914 - Sun Sep 20 2009 12:08 PM What to serve with chicken broccoli divan casserole?
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
I have a recipe for a chicken and broccoli divan casserole that I am going to make on Tuesday night and I am open to suggestions as to what to serve with it. It has cubed chicken, broccoli spears, cheese, and the sauce (milk and soup). So it seems to me like rice or noodles should be served with it? If so, should I just ladle it on top of plain brown rice to serve, maybe a pre-flavoured broccoli and cheddar Lipton rice, or maybe plain buttered noodles? My other thought was adding corkscrew pasta right into the casserole. Or perhaps just hot buttered dinner rolls...

I am useless trying to think of what dishes go together! Brown rice is usually my go-to if I am unsure, or a green vegetable, but this already has broccoli in it, so I'm thinking I need a carb.

Any suggestions welcome

#496915 - Sun Sep 20 2009 12:23 PM Re: What to serve with chicken broccoli divan casserole? [Re: guitargoddess]
wayman71 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Hamler Ohio USA         
Pasta salad. I could eat it every day, and with anything.

#496916 - Sun Sep 20 2009 12:29 PM Re: What to serve with chicken broccoli divan casserole? [Re: wayman71]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Noodles, I'd say - just about any type (except I would strongly suggest NOT the preflavoured type). Probably best to serve them separately, so that people can adjust the noodle/sauce ratio to please themselves.

#496917 - Sun Sep 20 2009 01:31 PM Re: What to serve with chicken broccoli divan casserole? [Re: agony]
honeybee4 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Lemoore
California USA
I would say that is a meal in itself. Serve a hearty green salad with it and maybe some garlic bread.

#496918 - Sun Sep 20 2009 01:34 PM Re: What to serve with chicken broccoli divan casserole? [Re: agony]
queproblema Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Kenny Lake Alaska USA     
Hot buttered noodles. I prefer egg noodles. This is a favorite dish of mine, and I just got off the phone with my daughter, who happened to have served it last week. I asked if she remembered the "secret ingredient." Oh, yes, she never forgets the touch of nutmeg. It's just enough to give an exquisite flavor, but not enough to be readily recognizable. And wine, of course! She used sherry; any white wine will do.

#496919 - Sun Sep 20 2009 01:54 PM Re: What to serve with chicken broccoli divan casserole? [Re: queproblema]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
I agree with honeybee4. I think that is a meal in itself, like a casserole. You have your meat, vegetable and cheese, why not rolls (to sop up the plate with! Yum!), a salad and a beverage. Then you have dessert. You could also have olives, etc for an appetizer or with the meal. Gads -- can't wait for dinner!

#496920 - Sun Sep 20 2009 02:27 PM Re: What to serve with chicken broccoli divan casserole? [Re: Jar]

Ooh I don't know why I didn't think of salad! A green salad sounds, I think I am leaning towards that! With some hot crusty bread.. mmm.

#496921 - Mon Sep 21 2009 01:19 AM Re: What to serve with chicken broccoli divan casserole? [Re: guitargoddess]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Can I come to dinner? It sounds wonderful.

#496922 - Mon Sep 21 2009 01:31 AM Re: What to serve with chicken broccoli divan casserole? [Re: lady1]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling<br>  Hong Kong     ...
Crusty bread with that, every time .Oh Yum!!

#496923 - Mon Sep 21 2009 01:48 AM Re: What to serve with chicken broccoli divan casserole? [Re: ren33]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Crusty bread and freshs alad with that sounds perfect to me! Your menu has my mouth watering!

Edited by Santana2002 (Mon Sep 21 2009 05:55 AM)

#496924 - Mon Sep 21 2009 05:13 AM Re: What to serve with chicken broccoli divan casserole? [Re: Santana2002]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
Depends who's coming. I don't think it would hurt to offer an extra carb if you're cooking for people with ravenous appetites and hollow legs.

Rice seems to be the traditional carbohydrate to go with this dish, and it's one you'd use anyway so, if you offer it separately, and it doesn't all go, it won't be wasted.

It sounds good and I've only got a little appetite so can I come too please?
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#496925 - Mon Sep 21 2009 02:22 PM Re: What to serve with chicken broccoli divan casserole? [Re: lesley153]

lol sure, everyone is welcome to stop by to eat

#496926 - Mon Sep 21 2009 03:05 PM Re: What to serve with chicken broccoli divan casserole? [Re: guitargoddess]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
I'd say buttered noodles and warm, crusty bread. Sounds delicious.

#496927 - Mon Sep 21 2009 04:27 PM Re: What to serve with chicken broccoli divan casserole? [Re: guitargoddess]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
Yay, thank you - I can get to Ottawa in time for dinner.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong