Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#497586 - Sun Sep 27 2009 04:34 AM This week's theme is RELIGION
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
The theme for this week is religion. Perhaps there is a church, temple or a mosque nearby, a family bible, a menorah, religious art .. anything that says to you 'religion'.

#497587 - Sun Sep 27 2009 05:05 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: Copago]
Professer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln<br>England UK      ...

The main tower of Lincoln Cathedral from the bottom of steep hill, anyone who is fit enough is a recomended walk

Edited by Professer (Sun Sep 27 2009 05:19 AM)

#497588 - Sun Sep 27 2009 11:18 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: Professer]
lilyalli Offline
Prolific

Loc: Norfolk UK      
It is a bit of a steep walk, I agree Gary - but well worth it and there is a lot to see en route to distract you from the effort needed!

This seems to be a sort of temporary temple - there was no door. Spotted in Singapore earlier this year.

#497589 - Sun Sep 27 2009 12:06 PM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: lilyalli]
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         

Virgen del Carmen, is the patron saint of fishermen and sailors in Spain. On the evening of July 16, in all the fishing villages and towns, the effigy of Virgen del Carmen is not only paraded through the streets but also taken to sea in a flower-adorned boat, accompanied by a float of fishing boats, which are blessed for the coming year in the process.

#497590 - Mon Sep 28 2009 01:28 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: szabs]
Copago Offline

Great start!

Not quite up to the standards of the Lincoln Cathedral but this is the Anglican Church at White Cliffs: built somewhere in the late 1800s. They only have a service once a month (second Sunday ) and is flat out holding fifty people. For funerals and things like that there's always a PA system set up outside.

#497591 - Mon Sep 28 2009 07:47 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: Copago]
lucyfire Offline
Participant

Loc: Durban, South Africa
In 2005 I went on a Contiki tour through Europe. While in Vienna I took this photo of St Stephen's Cathedral. [image]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/WednesdayZA/n652806819_792995_3977.jpg[/image] edit by Copago to see if we can get it to work :) hmmm ... ihave no idea .. I'll see if i can post it in another post.

Edited by Copago (Mon Sep 28 2009 11:18 AM)

#497592 - Mon Sep 28 2009 07:48 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION *DELETED* [Re: lucyfire]
lucyfire Offline
Participant

Loc: Durban, South Africa
Post deleted by Copago

#497593 - Mon Sep 28 2009 08:06 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: lucyfire]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
You are using the wrong tag. It's IMG not Image.

#497594 - Mon Sep 28 2009 10:18 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: flopsymopsy]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      

Robert, Lord Hungerford - died 1459

Dog, name unknown. "I've been stuck in this cold draughty cathedral for over 500 years; we've been through the Wars of the Roses, the Spanish Armada, the English Civil War, the Glorious Revolution, Napoleon bloomin' Bonaparte, and two World Wars, and he still hasn't given me a biscuit!"

#497595 - Mon Sep 28 2009 11:13 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: flopsymopsy]
Copago Offline

image should work too

Quote:

by LUCYFIRE In 2005 I went on a Contiki tour through Europe. While in Vienna I took this photo of St Stephen's Cathedral

(how odd - it's the exact same that you posted, Lucy! I'll ask the powers that be!)

Edited by Copago (Mon Sep 28 2009 11:25 AM)

#497596 - Mon Sep 28 2009 12:28 PM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: flopsymopsy]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Quote:

You are using the wrong tag. It's IMG not Image.

Both tags ought to work, in fact if you click on the UBB code for entering an image the tags are image, not IMG.

#497597 - Mon Sep 28 2009 12:50 PM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: sue943]
magicjeanie Offline
Participant

Loc: Sussex England UK      

st George at Dover castles church

#497598 - Tue Sep 29 2009 06:46 PM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: magicjeanie]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Here is the famous fan tracery in the cloisters of Gloucester Cathedral, many shots of which are seen in Harry Potter films.

#497599 - Wed Sep 30 2009 01:35 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: ren33]
quogequox Offline
Prolific

Loc: Adelaide SA Australia      

These are Ovoos in Mongolia, a shamanistic practice blended into Mongolia's form of Buddhism.
The blue scarves represent the sky. The idea is to circle the Ovoo three times clockwise and add a stone, or money, or booze etc to it for good luck on your travels.
I found these high up in the mountains of northern Mongolia overlooking Lake Khovsgol. It would have been quite mystical if it wasnt for the telecommunications tower just out of shot!

#497600 - Fri Oct 02 2009 06:05 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: quogequox]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England

I've shown this a few times, but fits into the theme nicely! I made this six years ago, with plastic canvas, and comes out every year

#497601 - Fri Oct 02 2009 06:58 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: JaneMarple]
Jedi_Padawan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
This is the Bible my grandmother received for Christmas when she was ten years old. It's seen a lot of wear over the years!

#497602 - Fri Oct 02 2009 04:17 PM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: Jedi_Padawan]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Orosi Costa Rica              
This tractor trailer was waiting its turn to cross from Nicaragua into Costa Rica at the Customs border.

#497603 - Fri Oct 02 2009 06:48 PM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: Copago]
PauFlP Offline
Explorer

Loc: Santa Rosa California USA    

Model English country church, about 18" tall, in our back yard, 1972. Built by a friend and me, modeled after Alice's village church in Disneyland's Story Book Land ride.

#497604 - Fri Oct 02 2009 09:58 PM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: PauFlP]
zorba_scank Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mumbai India
Hindu idols in a village temple

#497605 - Sat Oct 03 2009 04:13 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: zorba_scank]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia

I think I have posted this one before but it's worth a re-run. This is St Teresa's Catholic Church in Bodega Bay, California. It featured in Alfred Hitchcock's movie "The Birds". I took this photo on our trip to California last year and I loved the way the sunlight was captured in the shot (just dumb luck, not because I am a good photographer ).

#497606 - Sat Oct 03 2009 09:27 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: MotherGoose]
mc_shellsie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vancouver Island BC Canada
I love this topic, the pictures are amazing ... particularly love the Mongolian Ovoos!

St. Peters (Catholic)
Down and Connor
Dedicated Oct. 14 1866
Belfast, Northern Ireland
August 2009

Edited by mc_shellsie (Sat Oct 03 2009 09:39 AM)

"a kind deed is useless, unless it is done with love."

#497607 - Sat Oct 03 2009 09:31 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: MotherGoose]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

I'm really enjoying the variety of photos this week, from a diversity of different beliefs.

MotherGoose, the pros use a prism lens to get that effect, you did it without!
Zorba, love the colours and composition in your offering this week. Lovely shot.
Jeanie, welcome to you (and St. George), hope to see more photos from you.
Ren, I've never seen the Harry Potter movies, but what amazing carving in your well-composed photo. Do you know what material it is?
Jane, you are obviously a talented crafter. It's so much nicer to have homemade decorations, isn't it?
Jedi, I hope that bible gets passed down to a family member when the time comes.
Qq, I was quite intrigued by the Ovoos. I've never known anyone who's been to Mongolia before, what a fascinating trip you must have had.
Szabs, I really like your shot and the story behind it. What an interesting parade to have seen.
Prof, that hill would give the ol' legs a good workout, I'd imagine.
Flopsy, a nice offering of a piece of English history, I like the warm muted colours in that shot.
Lily, what a colourful scene to stumble upon!
Copago, I think that's one of the smallest churches I've seen! Built out of rocks found on the spot, I assume.
Lucy, I hope you don't let your problem posting put you off from returning, lovely shot, hope to see more from you.
PaulFlp, welcome to you too. I see from your profile you enjoy models, but I'm perplexed by your photo. The perspective of the trees make the church seem much higher than 18"! Tell us your secret!

... I've been under the weather for the last 6 weeks, which is why I've not posted or commented much during that time, but glad to say I survived and am feeling back to par once more, and look forward to getting the camera busy again.

#497608 - Sat Oct 03 2009 09:33 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: MadMags]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Ahh, mcshellsie, I've been wondering where you were, missed your photos. Good to see you back again.

#497609 - Sat Oct 03 2009 09:45 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: MadMags]
mc_shellsie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vancouver Island BC Canada

Thanks Mad Mags, i had a wonderful 2 month trip to see 'the love of my life' in Scotland; this year saw the Hebrides, Northern Ireland, Isle of Skye etc. My first time in the Highlands, so different than the Lowlands. I happen to like the refraction in your photo too Mother Goose, some lenses do this when you shoot directly into the sun. They say its a bad thing (lens wise), but i happen to like it when it happens, sometimes it makes your photo 'magical'.

"a kind deed is useless, unless it is done with love."

#497610 - Sat Oct 03 2009 11:07 AM Re: This week's theme is RELIGION [Re: MadMags]
PauFlP Offline
Explorer

Loc: Santa Rosa California USA    
Quote:

PaulFlp, welcome to you too. I see from your profile you enjoy models, but I'm perplexed by your photo. The perspective of the trees make the church seem much higher than 18"! Tell us your secret!

Carefully selected camera angle, mainly. Those trees in the foreground were themselves only about a foot high, plus I specifically chose slow-growing shrubs with small leaves, and kept them trimmed and pruned to tree-like shapes. For "grass" I used Irish and Scotch moss, also for their tiny, compact leaf structures. Thanks for the welcome!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Copago, flopsymopsy