Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#498217 - Thu Oct 01 2009 01:01 AM Children who eat chocolate more likely to be criminals ...
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
msnbc story

it has been my experience that chocolate has prevented me being violent!

but seriously I find it interesting:

"Moore said parents who consistently bribe their children into good behavior with candies and chocolates could be doing harm. That might prevent kids from learning how to defer gratification, leading to impulsive behavior and violence."

#498218 - Thu Oct 01 2009 01:32 AM Re: Children who eat chocolate more likely to be criminals . [Re: Copago]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
An alternative explanation could be the ones who were not given sweets were probably from homes where the parents had more control of their children and there was some discipline and the children didn't need to be 'bribed', if they didn't behave there would be sanctions.

I wonder if they also checked their teeth. These parents who bribed were perhaps less likely to take their children for regular dental checks too.

Edited by sue943 (Thu Oct 01 2009 01:34 AM)

#498219 - Thu Oct 01 2009 05:41 AM Re: Children who eat chocolate more likely to be criminals . [Re: sue943]
bluerodeo Offline
Participant

Loc: Greenfield Park Quebec Canada
In a related story,Hershey Pennsylvania
has become the crime capital of the world.

#498220 - Thu Oct 01 2009 10:00 AM Re: Children who eat chocolate more likely to be criminals . [Re: bluerodeo]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
bluerodeo, could you give us some more information about that "related story?" It'd be interesting to get some background on that. Thanks, June

#498221 - Thu Oct 01 2009 10:43 AM Re: Children who eat chocolate more likely to be criminals . [Re: Jar]
bluerodeo Offline
Participant

Loc: Greenfield Park Quebec Canada
Hi June,
My apologies, but that was just me making a silly joke.

Edited by bluerodeo (Thu Oct 01 2009 10:47 AM)

#498222 - Thu Oct 01 2009 11:16 AM Re: Children who eat chocolate more likely to be criminals . [Re: bluerodeo]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Orosi Costa Rica              
It's ok, bluerodeo, I got it.

This gives the phrase "Death by Chocolate" a whole new meaning!

On a more serious note, I have a bit of a problem with the percentages given. They are not using the same base.

"British experts studied more than 17,000 children born in 1970 for about four decades. Of the children who ate candies or chocolates daily at age 10, 69 percent were later arrested for a violent offense by the age of 34. Of those who didn't have any violent clashes, 42 percent ate sweets daily."

This is like saying 100% of people who eat turnips, breathe, yet this doesn't mean 100% of people who breathe, eat turnips.

In order for the percentages for the chocolate-eating kids to be valid, both sets of figures should have been derived from the number of kids who eat chocolate.

#498223 - Thu Oct 01 2009 01:32 PM Re: Children who eat chocolate more likely to be criminals . [Re: MadMags]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Oops, Sorry bluerodeo, I'm afraid I'm the one who "didn't get it!" Now that I don't look at it so seriously, well, you know.

I understand what you are saying Mags, and you are right. There are too many instances where statistics are used to say what one wants them to say. Hence my skepticism with people using statistics -- they are so often misleading because of the interpretation.

On the other hand, I believe people that are bribing their children with chocolate should find other means to train their children.

Edited by Jar (Thu Oct 01 2009 01:33 PM)

#498224 - Thu Oct 01 2009 02:11 PM Re: Children who eat chocolate more likely to be criminals . [Re: Jar]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

I agree Jar, children shouldn't be bribed in order to do what they should. These parents obviously have very poor parenting skills if the only way they can get their children to behave is by rewarding them for NOT acting up. It's a very short term solution, and one that will backfire sooner or later.

More than likely, it's probably due to the fact that these children didn't have proper discipline at home that turned them into criminals by the age of 34, not that they ate more chocolate.

Edited by MadMags (Thu Oct 01 2009 02:16 PM)

#498225 - Thu Oct 01 2009 05:48 PM Re: Children who eat chocolate more likely to be criminals . [Re: MadMags]
MarchHare007 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Jilliby NSW Australia         

"On the other hand, I believe people that are bribing their children with chocolate should find other means to train their children. "

I have also found a whip and a chair to be Invaluable!

I bribe my dog with liver treats but lollies or food (sweet or otherwise) was never an option for my kids.

Now toys or videos / CD's or not playing with their cousins?
That Really held weight.

The kids could do a lot of 'chores' with the 'threat' of no time with cousins in the creek if the jobs weren't finished properly!

#498226 - Thu Oct 01 2009 07:11 PM Re: Children who eat chocolate more likely to be criminals . [Re: MarchHare007]
avrandldr Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Charlottesville Virginia USA  
Right on--good catch, MadMags, about the discrepancy in wording. Not that pounds of chocolate will do kids any good, but they really had to twist the wording to make the "findings" sound cohesive.

Once again, showing that correlation is not causation. People with larger shoe sizes always average much higher scores on math tests, right? (...because the ones with extremely small shoe sizes can't even read the tests yet...)

Edited by avrandldr (Thu Oct 01 2009 07:11 PM)

#498227 - Thu Oct 01 2009 08:41 PM Re: Children who eat chocolate more likely to be criminals . [Re: MarchHare007]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

I have also found a whip and a chair to be Invaluable!

Now why didn't I think of that!

#498228 - Thu Oct 01 2009 09:40 PM Re: Children who eat chocolate more likely to be criminals . [Re: Jar]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Duct tape works too.

#498229 - Sat Oct 03 2009 03:45 AM Re: Children who eat chocolate more likely to be criminals . [Re: MadMags]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

I've been thinking .. I wish someone would bribe me with chocolate. *wistful sigh*

I obviously had a deprived childhood as we were offered a clip around the ear 'ole many a time, but never chocolate.

#498230 - Mon Oct 05 2009 01:11 PM Re: Children who eat chocolate more likely to be criminals . [Re: MadMags]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
I saw this story on the news and was dropjawed. I've had sugar of some fashion every day and I have yet to commit a violent crime. Moderation is just common sense. I'd love to come up with some study like this but I can't shut my brain off long enough to present it with a straight face. Asinine.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943