Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#500951 - Sat Oct 31 2009 11:27 AM The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
I've been in possession of a Canon Digital Rebel XTi for quite some time, but I have to give it back to the owner pretty soon and am looking to get a DSLR of my own. Now, it's no secret that Canon and Nikon are the leaders in the DSLR market with all others (sorry Olympus/Pentax/etc. aficionados out there) competing for the bronze medal.

As I am trying to decide what to purchase, it would be interesting to know what you think. If any of you use a DSLR, I'd like to know what you think the advantages of your camera is, and disadvantages too.

#500952 - Sat Oct 31 2009 02:44 PM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: LeoDaVinci]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Personally, I think it's a toss up and all it is is brand loyalty. Nikon and Canon DSLR's are so similar in quality and price that I think each individual has to choose for themselves.

I've read that Canon is better because the L series lenses are the best on the market. But any Nikon owner will tell you that Nikkor lenses are equally as good, if not better. Both are amazing lens brands and you couldn't go wrong with either.

I shoot Canon and have had a 20D for about 5 years. I'm more than satisfied with the camera and wouldn't switch to Nikon for my next purchase.

My advice, would be to look at the cameras in your price range. Looking at the specifications and see if there is something one camera has that the other doesn't in that price range. Take a look at the lenses you'd be thinking about purchasing and see which would be a better value given your shooting style and subjects. Read as many reviews of each as you can, mainly on photography websites, not sites like Amazon. A couple you can check out are:

http://steves-digicams.com/

http://www.fredmiranda.com/

Both offer exceptional reviews. fredmiranda offers reviews from numerous forum members on each product. Many of them professional shooters themselves.

If you were looking for a more definitive "argument" for one verses the other, I'm sure others will chime in that have stronger brand loyalty and/or opinions.

#500953 - Sat Oct 31 2009 03:03 PM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: LeoDaVinci]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Orosi Costa Rica              
I was reading about this very subject on a forum not too long ago. It may have been on this site, as I have it bookmarked.

I've been a Nikon owner now for over 30 years, my first Nikon being an SLR, the FM model, which I was very happy with. My present digital camera is also a Nikon, the Coolpix E5400, which I've owned now for about six years or so, and am also very happy with.

When I do upgrade to an SLR, it will probably be the Nikon again, although I will check out Canon too. I think they are both great cameras and it comes down to personal preference. I will do my research mostly via forums, reading the experiences of other buyers. The bottom line for me, after considering the glass etc, is how it feels in my hand.

#500954 - Sat Oct 31 2009 03:22 PM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: MadMags]
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
I hardly dared to check this thread Sometimes this question can get very emotive! I peronally am Canon 10D (although I also have a Pentax compact that is a real belter!) Despite all the bile spewed on this subject (not here, I hasten to add! ) the choice of a camera is very subjective. Check out the reviews, by all means, but think about how you want to use it, choice of lenses (if, for example, you are into photographing flowers, you might find a really great deal on a macro lens with one or the other), and I totally agree with MadMags that it's the feel in your hand (and how you're going to use it...for example I happen to like a heavier camera - if you spend your time climbing mountains, you might disagree...) that matters

#500955 - Sat Oct 31 2009 03:31 PM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: Quiz_Beagle]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Good point Mags and Beagle, be sure to hold each of the cameras you are considering...and get the feel of them.

and Mags, dpreview is a great site as well. Forgot to mention that one.

#500956 - Sat Oct 31 2009 03:48 PM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: pyonir]
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
Not just holding them, by the way..check your fingers can reach all the buttons and is the way it works (changing aperture etc.) is intuitive *to you*. It is *really* worth spending time in a proper camera shop with an assistant that knows what they're talking about.

#500957 - Sat Oct 31 2009 03:53 PM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: Quiz_Beagle]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
In the days of film I used to have Pentax SLRs, but when I switched to digital I switched to Nikon. For me the choice depended on several factors:

What sort of photos you take - action shots? scenery? portraits? Some brands are better than others at each of these, you need a camera that does well at the things you do.

How easy is it to change a lens? What sort of lenses can you get and how easy is it to get a general purpose one with good focal length that is also easy to carry. That may be more important to women who have to juggle camera, camera bag, and handbag, lol. I learned to leave the handbag at home, have camera, have good camera bag, stick wallet and passport in that, use as carry on luggage.

How easy is it to change the camera settings quickly? I never use auto so I need to be able to change aperture and shutter speeds easily, preferably with one hand while the other hand is holding on to a branch of the tree that purple with green spots frog is sitting on...

The colour balance is different - if you look at images produced by Canon the blues and greens are different from Nikon. It's a matter of taste. You can correct this balance in some editing software, but it makes sense (to me) to go for the balance you prefer overall, then you won't have to correct so much or as often.

Can you hold it easily? I have small hands and find it hard to grip some cameras. Go into a camera shop, and tell them you're thinking about what sort to buy. Ask to hold them.

In the UK, it's sometimes cheaper to buy a camera online but go to the store to collect. Look out for deals.

Enjoy your new camera!

#500958 - Sat Oct 31 2009 04:28 PM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: flopsymopsy]
L_A_Best Offline
Explorer

Loc: Cape Town South Africa  
Hubby and I just this past month upgraded our cameras. He had the Canon 350D and I had the Canon S3. Both camerea were three years old and already had taken 50000+ photos. The S3 needed replacing, it was worn out. Hubby chose himself a Canon 500D which he's very happy with. I went for the Canon SX20 IS. I'm thrilled with the greater zoom, the bigger megapixels and the greater ISO range. I'm hoping that the bigger megapixels will give me an even greater photo than the one I took last year of four 25 pound field guns being fired at the same time at night. Hubby and I do a lot of photography of canons and guns being fired and we will be taking photos again this year at the military tattoo which takes place at night so the bigger ISO range will hopefully allow me to take photos in low light without too much noise or as much noise.

We also use Adobe photoshop CS3 to edit each photo. Mostly to tweak the shadows, light and dark, noise ninja and sharpen as well as resize.

Hubby and I spent nearly 2 months looking at cameras online and comparing reviews and photos taken before deciding on the ones we wanted. Besides all the things I've already mentioned it was important that I found a camera I could handle. I'm left handed but use my right eye to look through the view finder and use my right hand to work the camera. We had to find one with all the buttons on the right but the view finder in the centre and also with an LCD.

My only grumble with the SX20 is the multi shot mode has a 1 second delay between taking the photos. I'm having to adjust my timing for photographing the canon firings so that I can get the flames and the vents and not the smoke. I do love having the Image stabilising, there are times when I'm taking a photo and moving or only using one hand and I'm still getting clear photos because of the IS.

On the subject of the camera bag. I got one big enough to double up as a "handbag" along with all the batteries, the extra flash, the memory stick and the attachment for the tripod it also holds my wallet and basic first aid stuff, note pad, pens, lense pen, wet wipes and when I'm using the camera I have place to put my bottle of cooldrink.

#500959 - Sat Oct 31 2009 04:44 PM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: L_A_Best]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Orosi Costa Rica              
Flopsy mentioned colour balance... When I'm looking at cameras in the store, I take in a box of watercolour paints I picked up at the dollar store, they usually have 20 colours. I will shoot the paints, and compare the trueness of colour on the different cameras I am considering.

#500960 - Sat Oct 31 2009 05:10 PM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: MadMags]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

A lot of camera shops will allow you to bring in your own memory card and shoot pictures with display cameras in the store. At least the two shops I frequented while living in the Phoenix area did.

I also prefer local owned camera stores when reviewing products in person. The sales people are usually much more knowledgeable and they usually have a much wider variety of products to look at. I do compare prices with online retailers, but you also need to beware of "gray market" cameras and online stores that run scams. If you decide to buy online, and it's not from a very large store like Amazon or Beach Camera, be sure to check out the companies information before hand. One site to do this is http://www.resellerratings.com/

#500961 - Mon Nov 02 2009 10:04 AM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: pyonir]
LeoDaVinci Offline

I'm almost inclined to go with the Canon out of convenience. I've used the Canons for so long I got used to focusing the lens at the forward part of the lens, and zooming in and out on the part closer to the camera. On the Nikon it's all reversed - something that will take some getting used to. I also got used to the feel of the Canon in my hands, though I do have large hands and the Nikon is just as good, but feels more, I don't know, boxy perhaps?

#500962 - Mon Nov 02 2009 10:59 AM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: LeoDaVinci]
L_A_Best Offline
Explorer

Personally I'd stick with what I know, what feels good, what I'm familiar with, what I'm comfortable with and what works. I see nothing wrong with sticking with what is convenient, change isn't always good or always necessary. If there's a "comfort zone" with the canon then don't change to a different make.

#500963 - Thu Nov 26 2009 09:32 PM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: L_A_Best]
LeoDaVinci Offline

Ok, I had to share. Here is a picture of the new toy using the old toy...

#500964 - Thu Nov 26 2009 10:01 PM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: LeoDaVinci]
MarchHare007 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Jilliby NSW Australia         

Yay Leo! Nice New Toy!

MOH and I had this debate 12 months ago when moh took a deep breath and decided he Really had to upgrade the Nikon SLR.

We had used several Canons - we test them - and they were definitely 'user friendly'.
I checked out some Canon / Nikon specific chat rooms and found users and comments were about even.

A family friend runs a photo printing shop and said that Canon gave much better quality than Nikon - and he was commenting on work from Pro photographers using both camera makes.

The main thing that tipped the scale towards the Nikon we now have - was that Nikon was the most recommended for star shots on telescopes over the Canon - which was a definite plus for our use.

You'll be able to give it a great workout Down Under!

#500965 - Fri Nov 27 2009 12:41 AM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: MarchHare007]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Congrats Leo!

#500966 - Fri Nov 27 2009 12:15 PM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: pyonir]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Drooling....

Very nice

#500967 - Fri Nov 27 2009 02:13 PM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: spanishliz]
L_A_Best Offline
Explorer

Hope you have a great time with the new camera Leo!

Hubby and I got to give our new Canon cameras a good workout at the military tattoo last week here in Cape Town. We are both very impressed and stunned with the pictures.

#500968 - Mon Nov 30 2009 05:16 PM Re: The DSLR debate: Canon v. Nikon [Re: L_A_Best]
LeoDaVinci Offline

Thanks y'all! Now, I have a couple of weeks to learn all the new features before I try them out in Oz.

Moderator:  Copago, LeoDaVinci, ren33