Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#501363 - Sun Nov 01 2009 11:55 AM November Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.
The winner(s) of each Round are awarded monthly points, which are eventually tallied for the entire year.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Brandz_mygirl
Tuesdays - Gatsby722 (as best he can )
Wednesdays - JaneMarple
Thursdays - Denni19
Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
Saturdays - Mugaboo

Any changes, just let us know !

#501364 - Sun Nov 01 2009 11:58 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: brandz_mygirl]
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday November 2 – Quiz

Just some stuff. This was meant to be the Oct 26 round. Oops.

1) Meetings can be the bane of many working people’s lives. They can be boring, unproductive, time-consumers when you’re already short of time, stressful, etc. I’ve sat in many a meetings and, from my own experience, approximately two-thirds of those meetings were an utter waste of time. The remaining one-third were mostly useful but had elements of unproductive time within. This page has a list of things one can do to turn useless meetings into productive ones. Please tell me any one of them.

2) I like getting along with people. A calm, happy, organized working environment can be such a pleasure to work in. Alas, people being people, I haven’t yet come across such a working environment (I do count myself as a contributor to the less than ideal work environment). In the past week (and it was a very busy week too), I’ve had to cope with a major spat between someone who works for me and a colleague from a different department. Please tell me any one of the 5 Do’s –or- the 5 Don’ts to getting along with people as listed on here.

3) On Saturday, I bought the “BlackAdder Remastered: The Ultimate Edition” DVD set. I loved the “Blackadder” series which first ran during the 1980s. Please tell me an episode title from the 4th “BlackAdder” series – or- one of the main cast members/actors from that 4th series.

4) Watched the cast of “Glee” singing the American National Anthem at the MLB Baseball World Series Game 3. The game was held on October 31 at the Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia. Please proceed to the Wiki article on Citizens Bank Park, and tell me any one of the “significant events” mentioned in that article. Just the first few words of the event is fine.

5) Well, since Halloween is just over, this question will be about scary movies. The UK newspaper, the Telegraph, has an article entitled “The Shining 'scariest film ever', poll says”. From that article, please tell me any of the other movies mentioned.

This round will close on Sunday 8 November at noon FT time. To all a gentle Monday.

#501365 - Tue Nov 03 2009 09:49 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: brandz_mygirl]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton Ohio USA              
Round 3 ~ Tuesday

Another mixed-up bunch of stuff, today!

1. Gotta do the "funny" stuff (well, to me it is, anyway) first. And please note: watching the video will not be useful in answering the question; I just added it for giggles. I thought this clip was pretty darned hysterical (just click on the arrow on the *goth dude's* face on there) --- thank you, too, choco_nut in Oz for alerting me to it . It's a guy named Jim making fun of all things current pop culture, mostly twitter and tweeting. And puppies. And androgyny. And miscellaneous media obsessions. He gets especially carried away when taking on recent USA fixation Adam Lambert. Lambert didn't win (although one must question it, as things are progressing?) 'American Idol', Season 8 last spring -- but he WAS the runner-up. Yet seeing as how the guy IS wildly entertaining, and talented, even I got on the "Glambert" band wagon in spots last year. But I resisted, wisely, any temptations to paint my fingernails black or dye my hair or indulge in manscara. True, he is talented. But, bottom line, just a noticeable singer who stands out in a sometimes remarkable way. His new, make that first, album is being released on November 23, 2009. To start, please tell me a track that is four minutes long (or longer) on the soon-to-land "For Your Entertainment", by Mr. Adam Lambert.

2. If you happened to look at that clip you might have heard the name Levi Johnson mentioned. And his, ahem, latest project: displaying his 'shortcomings' in an adult magazine. For those unfamiliar, it was this Alaskan rascal --- with, some suggest, the IQ of a caribou, too, I might add --- who managed to impregnate last year's VP hopeful in the US election, Sarah Palin's, daughter. It's just my opinion, but that is one especially whacky group of people in that northern circle, indeed. Levi has since broken up with his baby mama AND has been hitting the talk show circuit saying very hateful things about the Palins. He seems to have missed something as he does this, though. While he thinks he's somehow unique? Seems to me that everybody says pretty bad things about the Palins constantly (and aren't cornered into paying child support as they do it, either). Anyway? Levi will be 'modeling' in this month's Playgirl magazine. Goody, huh ? Let's go back twenty years, however ... to a slightly more (or maybe not) sensible time. Please tell me a *Man of the Month* who appeared in Playgirl magazine in 1989. That info can be gotten from Wikipedia. You will not, I assure, need to pull up the magazine's website under any circumstances.

3. Now a drastic switch to things that do matter, and matter a lot. The war in Afghanistan rages ... and the debates pro and con (mostly con, I think) resound. Me? I'm a pacifist by nature, and a realist by choice. I don't really care which side is right or wrong. All that matters, to me, is that the casualties in exercises like this seem to never stop. There is really, in my estimation, no real "right" way to kill a soldier. I have 100% respect for the honor attached to it and the services they render(ed). But a life cut short is really just that, nobility aside. It's a piece of the future, a potential life of possibly extreme merit, gone. The Washington Post keeps a page called *Faces of the Fallen*. Please tell me a US casualty that happened, from there, on an especially heavy day of tragedy during this Afghanistan/Iraqi conflict: October 27, 2009.

4. The 'movie buzz' is hot this week surrounding one that's scheduled for wide release in a few days. It's called Precious, and looks like a very worthy piece of work. It tells of an obese, illiterate teenager Clareece "Precious" Jones who lives in Harlem with her [very, to say the least] dysfunctional family; she has been impregnated twice by her father and is in a destructive relationship with her mother. Precious is invited to an alternative school where she hopes that her life can change direction. 'Tis a character-driven film, the revelations being the actors in it, reportedly. Stand-up comic Mo'Nique takes on the role of the (beastly, by the sounds of it) mother to the troubled teen and heretofore unknown Gabourey Sidibe plays Precious --- and both already have been called front-runners for Academy Awards. The movie is based on a novel called "Push" by a poet/performance artist named Sapphire. Kindly tell me a sentence from the first paragraph of the novel "Push". I used Amazon on that one ... but there's always the possibility that different online versions exist .

5. Blech! Here's some gruesome local news. It's entirely disturbing, without question. Police have arrested convicted rapist Anthony Sowell, 50, of Cleveland, Ohio, after finding three bodies in his home (they've since found three more in there). Sowell has lived in the house since his 2005 release from prison after serving a 15-year sentence. None of the victims has been identified ~ two were African-American, but the race of the others hasn't been determined, it is reported -- significantly because the corpses have decomposed for too long. The Cuyahoga County Police Department up there is now under much scrutiny since, once again, it seems a local law enforcement chain-of-command overlooked some (now, looking back) obvious signals that something was very amiss in that house --- notably the stench of rotting flesh that many neighbors noticed for some time. Enough about that ugliness, though. Let's talk about Cuyahoga County in Ohio. Using this map I'd like to know a county in Ohio that lies further east than the very eastern edge of Cuyahoga County.

This will close up on Sunday afternoon, yes? In the meantime, have a terrific string o' days !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Nov 04 2009 06:30 AM)

#501366 - Wed Nov 04 2009 12:20 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Gatsby722]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 4th November round
Q1 A film beginning with T
Q2 A song title beginning with T
Q3 A book title beginning with T
Q4 A eight letter word beginning with T
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with T
This round closes on Monday!

#501367 - Fri Nov 06 2009 08:16 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: JaneMarple]
maninmidohio Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark Ohio USA               
Round 6

When I arrived in New York, my first order of business was to look for a job. The most obvious place to look was in Manhattan. I will let you know that I was successful next time, but before we go into that we will make this the Manhattan Round.

1. The Manhattan Project was the codename of the coordinated effort by a group of scientists from the United States, United Kingdom, Denmark, and Canada to develop the first atomic bomb. This secret project encompassed over 30 different sites in the U.S., U.K., and Canada. By the end of the project it had involved over 130,000 individuals and cost nearly $2 billion. The project was a success in that it met its goal and shortened the length of World War II. Of course, the ongoing consequences are still being felt both for the good and bad. The Wikipedia article on the Manhattan Project lists several references (books) on the subject. Please give me the author of one of those books in either the Technical Histories or Participant Accounts section – please limit your choice to a book with only a single author.

2. The Manhattan Transfer is an American vocal group that came to prominence in the 1970s and is still going strong. They have a variety of vocal styles mixing contemporary and jazz. Their 1981 album, Mecca for Moderns, is an example of this versatility. They won Grammies for two different tracks in different genres, Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal and Best Jazz Performance by a Duo or Group. Please give me the name of a track on the Manhattan Transfer’s Mecca for Moderns.

3. Manhattan is Woody Allen’s 1979 romantic comedy that reunited many of the successful creators of the Academy Award winning Annie Hall. Allen again collaborated with Marshall Brickman on the writing and again he costars with Diane Keaton. From the IMDB site for “Manhattan” please give me one of the people listed under “Other crew”.

4. A Manhattan cocktail is typically made by mixing whiskey, vermouth, and bitters. The exact ingredients vary greatly from maker to maker with a wide variety of whiskeys, vermouths, and bitters used. Wikipedia has several named variations on the Manhattan cocktail; please give the name of one of these variations.

5. Finally we come to Manhattan Island which was the inspiration for this round. Manhattan Borough is the smallest division of New York City and it encompasses Manhattan Island as well as a few smaller islands. Manhattan Borough is identical to New York County as a division of New York State. New York County is the most densely populated county in the U.S. with 71,201 residents per square mile. It is also one of the wealthiest counties in the U.S. with an average per capita income of over $100,000. In the extensive Wikipedia article on Manhattan Island it lists several sites that are National Protected Areas. Please give me one of these areas that are on Manhattan Island (this will eliminate the Statue of Liberty National Monument because it lies on one of the other islands that constitutes Manhattan Borough).

This round will end noonish (FT Time) on Wednesday, November 11. I hope you all enjoy this round and have a great weekend.

#501368 - Sun Nov 08 2009 07:14 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: maninmidohio]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Approximately 8 hours to go for Round 3, kids !

"The best teacher is not the one who knows most but the one who is most capable of reducing knowledge to that simple compound of the obvious and wonderful." ... H. L. Mencken

#501369 - Sun Nov 08 2009 09:17 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Gatsby722]
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 2 will close in just under 3 hours. Still time for more answers to come in.

I've been very lax and haven't yet replied to all those who've sent in answers. Will probably only be able to get round to it tomorrow.

#501370 - Sun Nov 08 2009 03:17 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: brandz_mygirl]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round four closes tomorrow

#501371 - Sun Nov 08 2009 04:14 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: JaneMarple]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Round 3 - Tuesday
Five sturdy players!

1. To start, please tell me a track that is four minutes long (or longer) on the soon-to-land "For Your Entertainment", by Mr. Adam Lambert.

For 10 Points:
A Loaded Smile (4:04)
For 5 Points:
Pick U Up (4:10) (2), Soaked (4:33) (2)

The other 'longer' tunes on the album will be "Sleepwalker" (4:25), "Aftermath" (4:26), "Broken Open" (5:03) and "Time for Miracles" (4:43).

2. Let's go back twenty years, however ... to a slightly more (or maybe not) sensible time. Please tell me a *Man of the Month* who appeared in Playgirl magazine in 1989.

For 10 Points:
Martin Jade (November), Scott Lockwood (June), Jason Wallenberg (October)
For 5 Points:
Marc Anthony Donais, aka Ryan Idol (February) (2)

Michael Bannon, Bruce Schutt, Paolo Pecota, Jeff Thompson. Benny Graham, Eric Thompson, Tom Burgess and Bud Ralph also stripped down for that periodical that year ...

3. The Washington Post keeps a page called *Faces of the Fallen*. Please tell me a US casualty that happened, from there, on an especially heavy day of tragedy during this Afghanistan/Iraqi conflict: October 27, 2009.

For 10 Points:
Staff Sgt. Luis M. Gonzalez, Sgt. Isaac B. Jackson, Pfc. Christopher I. Walz
For 5 Points:
Sgt. Fernando Delarosa (2)

The deaths of Major David L. Audo, Sgt. Dale R. Griffin, Sgt. Patrick O. Williamson and Spec. Jared D. Stanker happened on that dreadful day as well .

4. The movie is based on a novel called "Push" by a poet/performance artist named Sapphire. Kindly tell me a sentence from the first paragraph of the novel "Push".

For 10 Points
I was out of school for a year. / I had got left back in the second grade too, when I was seven, 'cause I couldn't read (and I still peed on myself). / I'm in the ninfe grade.
For 5 Points:
I should be in the eleventh grade, getting ready to go in the twelf' grade so I can gone and graduate. (2)

The other sentences that opened the book: I was left back when I was twelve because I had a baby for my fahver. / That was in 1983. / This gonna be my second baby. / My daughter got Down Sinder. / She's retarded. / But I'm not.

5. Let's talk about Cuyahoga County in Ohio. Using this map I'd like to know a county in Ohio that lies further east than the very eastern edge of Cuyahoga County.

For 10 Points:
Ashtabula, Belmont, Columbiana, Monroe, Portage
For 5 Points:
Nobody today !

Geauga, Trumbull, Mahoning, Carroll, Jefferson and Harrison Counties would've worked, too.

The Results!

45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl & Mugaboo
40 Points! .... maninmidohio & szabs
35 Points! .... denni19

Great answers! Great players! But, at the end of it all, it was brandz_mygirl and Mugaboo who managed to squeeze ahead and top the leader board this time ! Congrats, and a hot new November Trivia point, to the both of 'em! Thank you all (very much) for playing!

"The best teacher is not the one who knows most but the one who is most capable of reducing knowledge to that simple compound of the obvious and wonderful." ... H. L. Mencken

#501372 - Mon Nov 09 2009 09:10 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Gatsby722]
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

November 2 Round – Answers

Thank you to the fantastic five who played the Just some stuff round.

1) This page has a list of things one can do to turn useless meetings into productive ones. Please tell me any one of them.
For Ten Points: End the meeting when it’s done, Reflectively listen in information meetings, Set things aside
For Five Points: Ask for action items (2)
Not mentioned: Ask questions afterward, Keep to the rules of order, Know what you want from the meeting, Know why the organizer called the meeting, List what you need to say, Take the meeting minutes.

2) Please tell me any one of the 5 Do’s –or- the 5 Don’ts to getting along with people as listed on here.
For Ten Points: Do share, Don’t be annoying
For Five Points: Don’t lose your temper (3)
Not mentioned: Do greet people, Do lend a helping hand, Do respect others, Do smile, Don’t be an arrogant jerk, Don’t be so touchy, Don’t gossip.

3) Please tell me an episode title from the 4th “BlackAdder” series – or- one of the main cast members/actors from that 4th series.
For Ten Points: Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry, Tony Robinson
For Five Points: Private Plane (2)
Not mentioned: Rowan Atkinson, Tim McInnerny, Captain Cook, Corporal Punishment, General Hospital, Goodbyeee, Major Star.

4) Please proceed to the Wiki article on Citizens Bank Park, and tell me any one of the “significant events” mentioned in that article.
For Ten Points:
- The Eastern League Reading Phillies hosted the Trenton Thunder on May 9, 2005 at CBP;[10] Reading beat Trenton 5–3.
- The first inside-the-park home run was hit by Jimmy Rollins on June 20, 2004, against the Kansas City Royals.
- The park hosted its first World Series game on October 25, 2008, with the Phillies defeating the Tampa Bay Rays, 5–4 in Game 3.
- The Phillies lost their 10,000th regular-season game in their history[14] on July 15, 2007 to the St. Louis Cardinals, 10–2,[15] marking the first time a professional sports franchise reached that plateau.
- On September 14, 2005, Andruw Jones of the Atlanta Braves hit his 300th career home run which went 430 feet (130 m) off Phils reliever Geoff Geary in a 12–4 Phillies win.
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned:
- On June 14, 2004, former Phillies first baseman Jim Thome hit his 400th career home run to the left-center field seats at Citizens Bank Park
- Randy Wolf of the Phillies threw the first pitch at 1:32 pm EDT on April 12, 2004 to D'Angelo Jimenez of the Reds, who got the park's first hit, a lead-off double.

5) The UK newspaper, the Telegraph, has an article entitled “The Shining 'scariest film ever', poll says”. From that article, please tell me any of the other movies mentioned.
For Ten Points: Bride of Frankenstein, Halloween, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
For Five Points: Alien (2)
Not mentioned: Jaws, Night of the Living Dead, Psycho, Rosemary’s Baby, The Wicker Man.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Mugaboo & Maninmidohio win the round. Well done guys!

Other Results:
40 points: Szabs & Gatsby
35 points: Denni

Gentle Monday everyone.

#501373 - Mon Nov 09 2009 04:44 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: brandz_mygirl]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 4th November results
Q1 A film beginning with T
FOR TEN POINTS:
The Three Lives of Thomasina (1964), Ten Tall Men, Tim (1979), Touch of Evil (1958), Tora, Tora, Tora, "To End All Wars",
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
The Golden Compass and more

Q2 A song title beginning with T
FOR TEN POINTS:
Think for Yourself (Beatles), Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen), "Try Me", by James Brown, "Try Me", by James Brown, Tiptoe through the Tulips, "Tender Hands" - Chris de Burgh,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Tea for Two and more

Q3 A book title beginning with T
FOR TEN POINTS:
Timbuktu (by Paul Auster), The Torment of Others (Val McDermid), "Tanglewood Tales", by Nathaniel Hawthorne, Thinner (Stephen King), Ten Little Indians (Agatha Christie), "Tooth and Nail" - Ian Rankin,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Three act tragedy (Agatha Christie) and more

Q4 A eight letter word beginning with T
FOR TEN POINTS:
Theology, Terpinol, Tomahawk, Tempered, Teamster, teahouse,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Thriller and more

Q5 Something you can eat beginning with T
FOR TEN POINTS:
Tapioca, Tronchon Cheese, Trix (breakfast cereal), Tomato, Treacle Tart, Tomme (French cheese),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Twix (Chocolate bar) and more

COMPETITORS
Brandzmygirl – 50
Denni – 50
Gatsby – 50
Maninmidohio – 50
Mugaboo – 50
Szabs - 50
Well done to all

#501374 - Tue Nov 10 2009 12:49 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: JaneMarple]
Forum Champion

Round 6, the Manhattan Round, will close in about 24 hours. Plenty of time to get your entry in. New players welcomed.

#501375 - Wed Nov 11 2009 07:54 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: maninmidohio]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Round 10 ~ Tuesday ... and fashionably late about it, no less !

1. As many are aware, The Fort Hood shooting occurred on November 5, 2009, at Fort Hood, located outside of Killeen, Texas, the largest US Military base in the world. A gunman opened fire in the Soldier Readiness Center, killing 13 people and wounding 30(+) others. As things progress, the questions rise --- more questions, of course, than even 'bad' answers as things swirl as to why it happened. Is it the social backlash on all (not just some) Muslims in American society now, and how it affects them? Is it military security gone wrong, top-to-bottom? Is it because guns are simply too easy to get one's hands on and carry around with them? As it goes, I suspect all these factors will come to be probed --- but, to me? It was just another waste of human life, perpretrated by a nut job who should stand no fair ground for "explanations" of it. He remains alive. A rainbow of innocent, sturdy people do not, as a result of him. And, in my opinion? That's a bad, bad, bad balance sheet . But, anyway. To begin, please tell me one of the men who lost their lives at Fort Hood that day. And may they all, men AND women, rest in peace.

2. But this quiz was sparked, not just by Fort Hood, but by a movie I saw on TV recently called American Gun (2005), as well. The film, in a nutshell, addresses "a powerful series of interwoven storylines that bring to light how the proliferation of guns in America dramatically affect and shape the every day lives of its citizens". These tales cover the map all the way from a woman still trying to deal with her errant son who went on a shooting rampage at his high school, an inner-city principal who fights the flow of weapons into HIS assigned school and another 'typical' young girl who, upon taking a job at a family-owned gun shop, finds herself slipping into the lure of the *power* that having a gun can be. Again, more disturbing questions and not too many rigid answers --- but the movie was pretty exceptional, I thought. One can hear a song in it, as the stories come to their (kinda) conclusion(s). It's called "The Good Stuff" by Schuyler Fisk (the daughter of actress Sissy Spacek and her husband Jack). So, then, please tell me a song on Fisk's album titled "The Good Stuff" ... and only choose tunes with three (or less) words in their title.

3. Forest Whitaker plays the beleaguered school administrator in American Gun. Yes, I'm a HUGE fan of his -- not only because he seems to be an actor with both skill and a message, a director with fine focus and, by all accounts, a v-e-r-y decent human being, too. Whitaker was nominated for an Independent Spirit Award - Best Lead Male for his role in today's movie-in-question. Kindly tell me any other actor who was nominated for that same award (The Independent Spirit, Lead Male) the year that Forest Whitaker was up for American Gun. OR the year before.

4. The story is, then, notably about three separate communities, and how they've been affected by the presence of guns in those communities. Those cities are in three different states, as the movie describes them. [Note: having a look at the film's official site will help on this one, to start -- notablty the 'Making Of' page there]. On this one, I'm needing the name of any of those three states. Or the capital city in any of 'em. OR (simply because I couldn't think of anything else in a hurry ) the *State Bird* assigned to them.

5. We really do try, over here, to legislate our guns. Once again, though, Fort Hood proves how much we tend to suck at it. It's one of those muddled areas of life --- but, for what it's worth? We really do try. Or try to try, at least. One good step that way happened some twenty years ago, with the thrust put behind The Brady Act -- James Brady was that fellow who was shot during an assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan, and left in a wheelchair as result of his injuries. The bill requires that background checks be conducted on individuals before a firearm may be purchased from a federally licensed dealer, manufacturer or importer - unless an exception applies. A glance at Wikipedia will tell you that
Section 922(g) of the Brady Act prohibits certain persons from shipping or transporting any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce, or receiving any firearm which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, or possessing any firearm in or affecting commerce. Tell me one of those prohibitions that would deem a person disallowed to own a handgun in the USA.

This will close up on Monday, around noon! Have a great rest-of-the-week!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Fri Nov 13 2009 06:32 AM)

#501376 - Wed Nov 11 2009 11:35 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Gatsby722]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 11th November round
Q1. Something you’d associate with a birthday
Q2. Something that should be built to last.
Q3. One of the rooms in the board game “Cluedo” (also known as “Clue”)
Q4. Something you’d find in a toyshop
Q5. A colour of the rainbow
This closes on Monday!

#501377 - Wed Nov 11 2009 01:38 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: JaneMarple]
Forum Champion

Round 6 - Results

There were six great entrants for the Manhattan Round. Thanks to all for playing.

1. The Wikipedia article on the Manhattan Project lists several references on the subject. Please give me the author of one of those books in either the Technical Histories or Participant Accounts section – please limit your choice to a book with only a single author.

For 10 Points:
Stephane Groueff, Robert Serber, Martin J. Sherwin, and Stanislaw Ulam
For 5 Points: Hans A. Bethe (2)
Not Chosen: Henry DeWolf Smyth, William Yenne, and Kenneth David Nichols

2. Please give me the name of a track on the Manhattan Transfer’s “Mecca for Moderns” album.

For 10 Points:
Boy from New York City and Spies in the Night
For 5 Points: On The Boulevard (2) and (The Word of) Confirmation (2)
Not Chosen: (Wanted) Dead Or Alive, Smile Again, and Until I Met You (Corner Pocket)

3. From the IMDB site for the movie “Manhattan” please give me one of the people listed under “Other crew”.

For 10 Points:
Cheryl Hill and Jennifer Ogden
For 5 Points: Kathleen McGill (2) and Dennis Kear (2)
Not Chosen: Kay Chapin, Scott MacDonough, Gail Sicilia, Robert E. Warren, and Charles Zalben

4. Wikipedia has several named variations on the Manhattan cocktail; please give the name of one of these variations.

For 10 Points:
Cuban Manhattan and Latin Manhattan
For 5 Points: Rob Roy (4)
Not Chosen: Fanciulli cocktail, Dry Manhattan, Perfect Manhattan, Brandy Manhattan, Ruby Manhattan, and Metropolitan

5. In the extensive Wikipedia article on Manhattan Island it lists several sites that are National Protected Areas. Please give me one of these areas that are on Manhattan Island.

For 10 Points:
Lower East Side Tenement National Historic Site and Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace National Historic Site
For 5 Points: Federal Hall National Memorial (4)
Not Chosen: African Burial Ground National Monument, Castle Clinton National Monument, General Grant National Memorial, Governors Island National Monument, and Hamilton Grange National Memorial

Results

With 35 Points: brandz_mygirl, denni19, Gatsby722, Mugaboo, PDAZ, and szabs

It is hard to believe, but when the last entry was in and all the dust had settled we had a six way tie for first place. So hearty congratulations and a November trivia point goes to all of our winners: brandz_mygirl, denni19, Gatsby722, Mugaboo, PDAZ, and szabs. Join me again next time to find out where I wound up working on the great island of Manhattan.

#501378 - Fri Nov 13 2009 06:27 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: maninmidohio]
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 12 - Thursday, Nov 12th

As I am late in posting this round, I thought I'd make it a "SUPER" one .

1 - A SUPERnova is an exploding star that can become billions of times as bright as the sun before gradually fading from view. At its maximum brightness, the exploded star may outshine an entire galaxy. The explosion throws a large cloud of dust and gas into space.
From Wikipedia's "List of supernovae" please tell me the name of a constellation where a supernova appeared.

2 -The SUPER Bowl is the championship game of the National Football League (the premier association of professional American football) and, in most years, it is the most-watched American television broadcast. The halftime show for the Super Bowl is a highlight of the event and many popular singers and musicians have performed during this show.
From HERE please pick your favourite among the Top 10 Super Bowl Halftime Shows and give me its title. (the text above the photo).

3 - A SUPERmarket is a self-service store offering a wide variety of food and household merchandise, organized into departments. It is larger in size and has a wider selection than a traditional grocery store and it is smaller than a hypermarket or superstore. Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd is the third largest chain of supermarkets in the UK and the group is one of the main supporters of Active Kids Get Cooking - an initiative which recognises, supports and promotes excellent healthy eating work and cooking in primary, middle, secondary and special schools throughout the UK. Each year the challenge requires pupils to create a healthy, innovative dish.
On the Active Kids Get Cooking official website, please check out the Special challenge 2008 winners list and give me the name of a school together with their winning dish(es).

4 - SUPERman is a fictional character, a comic book superhero appearing in publications by DC Comics, widely considered to be an American cultural icon. Created in 1932 by American writer Jerry Siegel and Canadian-born artist Joe Shuster, the character first appeared in Action Comics #1 (published in 1938) and subsequently appeared in various radio serials, television programs, films, newspaper strips, and video games.
Please give me any other story which appeared in "Action Comics #1" [which is, as of June 2009, the most valuable comic book in the World].

5 - "The Logical Song" is a hit single on SUPERtramp's 1979 album "Breakfast in America" and probably is the band's most recognised song. It was well received from the start and the critics called it a "timeless and touching tale about the human condition". Over the years the song has been covered, parodied, remade and used on movies and TV shows soundtrack.
Have a look at "The Logical Song" lyrics and tell me any adjective or adverb used in there.

Round 12 will be closed on Tuesday, November 17th - around noon FT time. Any problems you have with my questions, link, grammar or spelling , please feel free to drop a note and I'll do my best to help.

Have a restive and sunny weekend!

Edited by denni19 (Fri Nov 13 2009 06:30 AM)

#501379 - Sat Nov 14 2009 06:52 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: denni19]
Mugaboo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 14 - Saturday 14th November

1. You may have seen the 20th aniversary of the Berlin wall coming down, with Lech Walesa toppling a mile long line of giant dominos. From the International Federation of Dominos website, please give me any player who's ranked in the top seven.

2. Please name any emergency landing site for the Space Shuttle in either Europe or Africa.

3. Name any of the "Babar the Elephant" books by Jean de Brunhoff.

4. "Salomé" by Oscar Wilde was banned in Britain until October 5, 1931. Please tell be a venue that performed either the Play or the Opera, somewhere in London before that date.

5. According to the "Time" best 50 lists, please give me one of the top 10 Inventions of 2009.

Feel free to PM me if you're stuck, otherwise the round will close noon (FT time) on Thursday.

#501380 - Sun Nov 15 2009 06:41 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: JaneMarple]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 11 - Wensday - closes tomorrow and my In Box is rather empty

#501381 - Sun Nov 15 2009 10:00 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: JaneMarple]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Just a hair or seven more than 24 hours to go on Round 10. My mailbox is a little empty, too, might I add ? You rascal vets, get those answers in. To any newbies waiting/wanting to try out the game(s)here? Let me know! I'll keep the Round open until you decide to join in !

#501382 - Mon Nov 16 2009 03:50 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Gatsby722]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 11th November round
This closes on Monday!

FOR TEN POINTS:
More phone calls than usual, Musical chairs, A party, A wish when you blow out the candles,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Birthday card (2)
NOT MENTIONED:
Parcels and more

FOR TEN POINTS:
A furnace, A marriage, Refrigerator, Railway tracks,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Bridge (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
A house and more

FOR TEN POINTS:
Dining room, Study,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Kitchen (4),
NOT MENTIONED:
The library and more

FOR TEN POINTS:
Joysticks, Model soldiers, Teddy bear, Yoyo, Twister game, Rubber duck,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Prams and more

FOR TEN POINTS:
Red, Blue, Indigo, Yellow,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Orange (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Green and Violet

COMPETITORS
Denni – 45
Gatsby – 45
Maninmidohio – 45
Mugaboo – 45
Brandz_mygirl – 35
Szabs – 35
Well done to Denni, Gatsby, Maninmidohio and Mugaboo!

#501383 - Tue Nov 17 2009 02:00 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: JaneMarple]
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Round 12 is now closed and the results will appear tomorrow.
Thank you all who played!

#501384 - Wed Nov 18 2009 07:25 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: denni19]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Round 10 - Tuesday
"American Guns"
Five law-abiding (and greatly appreciated) participants!

1. To begin, please tell me one of the men who lost their lives at Fort Hood that day. And may they all, men AND women, rest in peace.

For 10 Points:
Staff Sgt. Justin M. DeCrow, 32; Captain John Gaffaney, 56; Civilian Russell Seager, 51
For 5 Points:
Major L. Eduardo Caraveo, 52 (2)

The other male victims in that horror were: Civilian Michael Grant Cahill, 62; Spc. Frederick Greene, 29; Spc. Jason Dean Hunt, 22; PFC Aaron Thomas Nemelka, 19; PFC Michael Pearson, 22 and PFC Kham Xiong, 23.

2. So, then, please tell me a song on Fisk's album titled "The Good Stuff" ... and only choose tunes with three (or less) words in their title.

For 10 Points:
Cold Heart, Fall Apart Today, Sunshine
For 5 Points:
Hello (2)

"Mr. Johnson", "Afterglow", "Miss You" and "You're Only Lonely" would've been right, too.

3. Kindly tell me any other actor who was nominated for that same award (The Independent Spirit, Lead Male) the year that Forest Whitaker was up for American Gun. OR the year before.

For 10 Points:
Jeff Daniels - The Squid and the Whale, Aaron Eckhart - Thank You for Smoking, Terrence Howard - Hustle & Flow, Edward Norton - The Painted Veil, David Strathairn - Good Night, and Good Luck

Which left Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote, Heath Ledger - Brokeback Mountain, Ahmad Razvi - Man Push Cart and Ryan Gosling - Half Nelson unmentioned on that one ...

4. On this one, I'm needing the name of any of those three states. Or the capital city in any of 'em. OR (simply because I couldn't think of anything else in a hurry ) the *State Bird* assigned to them.

For 10 Points:
Northern Cardinal (State Bird for both Illinois and Virginia), Richmond (capital of Virginia), Salem (capital of Oregon)
For 5 Points:
Western Meadowlark (State Bird for Oregon) (2)

Illinois, Virginia and Oregon were the states in the film. And Springfield, the cap of Illinois, was the other city.

5. Section 922(g) of the Brady Act prohibits certain persons from shipping or transporting any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce, or receiving any firearm which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, or possessing any firearm in or affecting commerce. Tell me one of those prohibitions that would deem a person disallowed to own a handgun in the USA.

For 10 Points:
Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution; Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions
For 5 Points:
Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced U.S. citizenship (3)

The other no-nos (and I think there should be more, in many cases ) when it comes to gun ownership are 'Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year', 'Is a fugitive from justice', 'Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance', 'Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States' 'Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner' -or 'Has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence'.

The Results!

50 Points! .... Mugaboo
45 Points! .... denni19, maninmidohio
35 Points! .... brandz_mygirl
30 Points! .... szabs

Wonderful performance by Mr. Mugaboo ! A perfect score and a brand spankin' new November Trivia point to go with it, too. Thank you all for playing --- a nice set of answers rolled in from all sides.
P.S. - Sorry about being late and overall remiss this week with The Rounds. We had a death in the family - and an important one, at that - so things have been a bit upside down . To be candid, much of my *family* (the by-birth ones) play out like a bad Movie Of The Week very often. Unexpected sadnesses like this one tend to upset more than one apple cart, indeed. But things are leveling out, now [mostly]. I ought to be back on track ~ as good as I ever am on said dubious track, that is ~ next week.

Thank you veddy much. And have a fine week ahead!

#501385 - Wed Nov 18 2009 02:00 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: brandz_mygirl]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 18th November round
Q1 A film beginning with U
Q2 A song title beginning with U
Q3 A book title beginning with U
Q4 A eight letter word beginning with U
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with U
This closes on Monday!

#501386 - Thu Nov 19 2009 11:38 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: JaneMarple]
Mugaboo Offline
Mainstay

Owing to congestion in my timing schedule, round 14 will now close 21 hours later than anticipated. (9 am tomorrow FT time)

As numbers are low, I'll give a hint in the form of a link for Question 4.
Let's be having you now

#501387 - Fri Nov 20 2009 10:01 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Mugaboo]
Mugaboo Offline
Mainstay

Answers Round 14 - 3 played

1. From the International Federation of Dominos website, please give me any player who's ranked in the top seven.
For 10 points: Leonardo Despaigne; Luis Guillarte; Eduard Petreñas
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned: Salvador Cabrales; Osmil Daudinot; Quilmes; Jose Rivas

2. Please name any emergency landing site for the Space Shuttle in either Europe or Africa.
For 10 points: Kinshasa, Zaire
For 5 points: Roberts International (Monrovia), Liberia [2]
Not mentioned include: RAF Fairford, United Kingdom; Hoedspruit, South Africa; Lajes Field, Azores

3. Name any of the "Babar the Elephant" books by Jean de Brunhoff.
For 10 points: The Story of Babar; A.B.C. of Babar; Zephir's Holidays
Not mentioned: The Travels of Babar; Babar the King; Babar and His Children; Babar and Father Christmas

4. "Salomé" by Oscar Wilde was banned in Britain until October 5, 1931. Please tell be a venue that performed either the Play or the Opera, somewhere in London before that date.
For 10 points: Court Theatre
For 5 points: King’s Hall, Covent Garden [2]
Not mentioned include: Bijou Theatre; Duke of York’s Theatre; Gate Theatre; Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

5. According to the "Time" best 50 lists, please give me one of the top 10 Inventions of 2009.
For 10 points: The Smart Thermostat; Controller-Free Gaming; The Telescope for Invisible Stars
Not mentioned: NASA's Ares Rockets; The Tank-Bred Tuna; The $10 Million Lightbulb; Teleportation; The AIDS Vaccine; Tweeting by Thinking; The Electric Eye

Scores:
45 points: Brandz_mygirl; Gatsby722
40 points: Maninmidohio

From a trio of loyal subjects, Gatsby and Brandz_mygirl came away as victors. Thank-you all for playing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002