Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#501388 - Sun Nov 22 2009 03:10 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Mugaboo]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Round 18 closes tomorrow

#501389 - Mon Nov 23 2009 01:56 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: JaneMarple]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 18th November results
Q1 A film beginning with U
FOR TEN POINTS:
U-571 (2000), Urban Cowboy (1980), Urban Ghost Story, Unfinished Sky (2007),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all

Q2 A song title beginning with U
FOR TEN POINTS:
Up Where We Belong (Officer and a Gentleman – Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes), Under The Moon Of Love (Showaddywaddy), Underneath (The Hansons), Unwashed And Somewhat Slightly Dazed (David Bowie),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all

Q3 A book title beginning with U
FOR TEN POINTS:
Under the Banner of Heaven (Jon Krakauer), Under a Calculating Star (by John Morressy), Under Heaven (Guy Gavriel Kay), Unnaccustomed Earth ( Jhumpa Lahiri),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all

Q4 A eight letter word beginning with U
FOR TEN POINTS:
Unpacked, Unworthy, Univocal, Usufruct,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all

Q5 Something you can eat beginning with U
FOR TEN POINTS:
Uni (sea urchin eaten as sushi), UHT Milk, Urfa Kebab, Ulloa cheese,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all

COMPETITORS
Brandz_mygirl - 50
Maninmidohio – 50
Mugaboo - 50
Szabs - 50

Well done to Brandz_my girl, Maninmidohio, Mugaboo and Szabs

#501390 - Wed Nov 25 2009 03:07 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: JaneMarple]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 26th November results
Q1 A film beginning with V
Q2 A song title beginning with V
Q3 A book title beginning with V
Q4 A eight letter word beginning with V
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with V
This closes on Monday!

#501391 - Fri Nov 27 2009 07:14 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: JaneMarple]
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 27 Friday

Beer is the world's oldest and most widely consumed alcoholic beverage and the third most popular drink overall after water and tea, so lets talk about beer today.

1. On the “Beer” wiki page there is a diagram that illustrates the process of brewing beer, please give me one of the stages in the brewing of beer.

2. Ninkasi is the ancient Sumerian matron goddess of beer. Daughter of Enki, she is also one of his eight children created in order to heal one of the eight wounds that Enki receives. She is the goddess of alcohol, and was also borne of "sparkling fresh water." She is made to "satisfy the desire" and "sate the heart. " The Hymn to Ninkasi,"is a prayer to the Mesopotamian goddess, served as both a prayer and as a method of remembering the recipe for beer. From the hymn please give me any line that starts with You are the one.

3. A blackened bottle of Lowenbrau beer found in the wreck of the Hindenburg zeppelin, was auctioned off a few Saturdays ago, worth thousands of pounds it is said that it was the most expensive bottle of beer ever bought. The bottle was found by a fire-fighter cleaning up the American airfield where the German airship exploded in 1937. The airship was engulfed by flames as it landed in New Jersey, killing 38 people and injuring 60. New Jersey firefighter Leroy Smith found six bottles of Lowenbrau beer and a pitcher intact on the scene of the crash. He buried his secret find so he could collect them later, as the area had been sealed off by the authorities. From this article , on the sale of the beer, please give me any figure mentioned in the article.

4. The book Strangest Pubs in Britain is acclaimed by numerous celebrities and the subject of rave reviews by dozens of newspapers, magazines and other media, as a rollercoaster ride of amazement. The book is a through research on some of the strangest and wackiest pubs located in Britain. From this page please give me one of the pubs mentioned that has MORE HEREafter its description.

5. On many TV shows we see the actors drinking or ordering beer, in many cases the name of these beers are made up in order not to advertise freely, the different brands. These beer’s roles in pop culture were made possible due to a show’s viewership, and some of these beers have even developed their own inherent popularity outside of their own show. Sloshpot. com have compiled their own list of The Best Fictional Beer Brands on TV, please give me the name of one of these beers and the show they where on.

This round will close on Wednesday the 2nd of December noonish FT time. If you have any queries just pm me. In the meantime have a great weekend.

#501392 - Sat Nov 28 2009 06:01 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: szabs]
Mugaboo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 28 - Saturday 28th November

1. "Cowshed" make a range of vegetarian bodycare products. Please tell me one of the "moods" that Cowshed use for their products.

2. Earlier this week Boghall Butchers from Bathgate was hailed as tne best Scotch pie maker in the world in a competition in Dunfermiline. Please give me any kind of pie that Boghall Butchers sell.

3. "Brewdog", based about an hour's drive from me in Fraserburgh, have just launched a new beer that they claim is the strongest in the world. Please name drink made by BrewDog.

4. Name any real person who was accused of being a werewolf.

5. As soon as I've finish the current book I'm reading, I will embark on "Conquest: The Englisg Kingdom of France". Please give me any other history book by Juliet Barker.

Apologies for another beer question in there, the round will close on Thursday (4pm FT time).

#501393 - Sun Nov 29 2009 06:25 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Mugaboo]
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Monday November 30 – Quiz

Peeeeeees Please. This round is weeks late. But it’s here at last.

1) “The Persistence of Memory” or “Melting Clocks” is probably the most famous painting by Salvador Dali, surrealist painter extraordinaire. Please give me the title of another painting by Dali that was completed in the same year as that of “The Persistence of Memory” and has only one or two words in the title/

2) Potatoes – I have fond memories of my very first baked potato, piping hot and oozing butter, topped with lashings of baked beans and bacon strips. While researching the topic of baked potatoes for this round, I came across an article said that some of the world's best baked potatoes can be found at the Pennsylvania Farm Show in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA. So off I went clicking online to have a look. The Pennsylvania Farm Show will run from Jan 9 to Jan 16 2010, and it is the largest indoor agricultural event in the U.S.. The show “promises to follow the tradition of featuring the best in youth livestock shows, cooking demonstrations, educational displays, celebrity contests, and some of the state’s most delicious foods.” From the Pennsylvania Farm Show website, please tell me one of the products that will be on sale at the food court by the Pennsylvania Cattlemen’s Association. I counted 10 items.

3) Pregnancy – It takes approximately 40 weeks for a human baby to develop from a fertilized egg to a full term baby, ready for birth. It can seem long to the expectant parents, especially to the expectant mama. There are, however, some mammals with longer gestation periods than that of a human. Please proceed to Wikipedia’s article on gestation period and tell me a mammal that has a longer gestation period than that of a human.

4) Mary Travers died on Sep 16, 2009 at the age of 72. Mary was a member of the folk/pop group “Peter, Paul and Mary” that had a series of hits in the 1960s. Please give me a song title from the track listing of their first album released.

5) Please give me any word that starts with a ‘P’ and ends with a ‘P’. As long as the word can be found on the Webster online dictionary, it doesn’t matter whether it’s a slang, an abbreviation and so forth.

This round will close on Sunday 6 December at noon FT time. Wishing everyone a gentle Monday and a wonderful week.

#501394 - Sun Nov 29 2009 04:15 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: szabs]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 26th November round closes tomorrow!

Unfortunately this is my last one for a while. Don't worry, I'm not leaving Funtrivia, just that life is getting busy! I shall probably return to be quiz host at some time

#501395 - Mon Nov 30 2009 02:55 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: brandz_mygirl]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 26th November results
This closes on Monday!

FOR TEN POINTS:
Valley of the Dolls (1967), Vanity Fair (2004), Vampires Anonymous, Visit to a Small Planet (1973), Virus (1999),
Ten points to all

FOR TEN POINTS:
"Vincent" by Don McLean, Vote or Die (P. Doddy), Vegetable Soup (The Wiggles), Visions Of The Night (The Police), "Violently Happy" by Bjork,
Ten points to all

FOR TEN POINTS:
"Vandals in the Stacks?: A Response to Nicholson Baker’s Assault on Libraries" by Richard J. Cox, "Vincent" by Don McLean, Vampire Chronicles (Rice), Vintage of Surrender (Jayne Castle), Vineyard Enigma by Philip R. Craig, "Variable Star" by Robert Heinlein and Spider Robinson,
Ten points to all

FOR TEN POINTS:
Vertuoso, Varietal, Vanquish, Valvules, Varicose,
Ten points to all

FOR TEN POINTS:
Vanilla, Vermicelli, Vindaloo curry, Vignotte cheese, Vasilopita (Greek bread/cake),
Ten points to all

COMPETITORS
Brandz_mygirl - 50
Gatsby – 50
Maninmidohio - 50
Mugaboo – 50
Szabs - 50
Well done to all!

I hope to take part sometimes! xxx

#501396 - Wed Dec 02 2009 10:18 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: JaneMarple]
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 27 My mailbox is still very empty , so I will keep it open till tomorrow. Everyone is welcome to participate oldtimers and newcomers .

#501397 - Thu Dec 03 2009 04:41 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: szabs]
Mugaboo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 28 - 4 played

1. Please tell me one of the "moods" that Cowshed use for their products.
For 10 points: Lazy Cow; Wild Cow
For 5 points: Moody Cow [2]
Not mentioned: Grumpy Cow; Horny Cow; Knackerd Cow

2. Please give me any kind of pie that Boghall Butchers sell.
For 10 points: 1 1/2 Lb Steak Pie; Chicken Curry Pies; Poached Haddock and White Wine Sauce Pie; Steak Mince Pies
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned: Ind. Steak Pies; Steak & Gravy Pies; Scotch Pies; Haggis & Curry Pies; 1 Lb Steak Pie; 2 Lb Steak Pie

3. Please name drink made by BrewDog.
For 10 points: Paradox; Rip Tide
For 5 points: Hardcore IPA
Not mentioned: 5am Saint; 77 Lager; Bashah; Chaos Theory; Dogma; Hop Rocker; Movember Beer; Nanny State; Punk IPA; Punk Monk; Tactical Nuclear Penguin; The Physics; Tokyo; Trashy Blonde; Zietgeist

4. Name any real person who was accused of being a werewolf.
For 10 points: Prince Vseslav of Polock (1101); Jean Grenier (1603)
For 5 points: Gilles Garnier (1573) [2]
Not mentioned include: Damarchus of Parrhasia (c400BC); Saint Christopher (c250); Pierre Bourgot and Michel Verdung (1521); Pernette Gandillon (1598); Ann of Meremoisa (1623); Antoine Leger (1824)

5. Please give me any other history book by Juliet Barker.
For 10 points: The Tournament in England 1000-1400; Tournaments: Jousts, Chivalry and Pageants in the Middle Ages; Wordsworth: A Life; Agincourt: The King, the Campaign, the Battle
For 5 points: (none)

Scores:

45 points: Gatsby722; Szabs
40 points: Maninmidohio; Brandz_mygirl

Two contestants emerged from battle as victors - Gatsby and Szabs have been honoured with the usual monthly point, well done.

#501398 - Thu Dec 03 2009 04:51 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Mugaboo]
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 27 Answers

Four marvellous players participated in this round dedicated to Beer.

1. On the “Beer” wiki page there is a diagram that illustrates the process of brewing beer, please give me one of the stages in the brewing of beer.

10 Points to all : Mash Tun, Hot water tank, Hopback, Bottling
Among others: Malt, Hops, Copper, Keg, Chiller

2. Ninkasi is the ancient Sumerian matron goddess of beer. " The Hymn to Ninkasi,"is a prayer to the Mesopotamian goddess, served as both a prayer and as a method of remembering the recipe for beer. From the hymn please give me any line that starts with You are the one.

For 10 Points NONE :
For 5 Points : You are the one who soaks the malt in a jar (2), You are the one who spreads the cooked mash on large reed mats (2)
Among others: You are the one who handles the dough, You are the one who bakes the bappir in the big oven, You are the one who holds with both hands the great sweet wort

3. A blackened bottle of Lowenbrau beer found in the wreck of the Hindenburg zeppelin, was auctioned off a few Saturdays ago, worth thousands of pounds it is said that it was the most expensive bottle of beer ever bought. From this article, on the sale of the beer, please give me any figure mentioned in the article.

For 10 Points NONE :
For 5 Points : 2.500 (2), 3.000 (2)
Among others: 9.400, 10.810, 18.034, 10.000

4. The book Strangest Pubs in Britain is a through research on some of the strangest and wackiest pubs located in Britain. From this page please give me one of the pubs mentioned that has MORE HEREafter its description.

10 Points to all : Snail racing & shoes as deposits (The Frog & Toad), chicken races & UFO's (The Barley Mow), Drinks hang unsupported from walls (Somerset House), the study of Sherlock Holmes (The Sherlock Holmes)
Among others: door made with human skin, crop circle headquarters, the home of Dracula

5. On many TV shows we see the actors drinking or ordering beer, in many cases the name of these beers are made up in order not to advertise freely, the different brands. Sloshpot. com have compiled their own list of The Best Fictional Beer Brands on TV, please give me the name of one of these beers and the show they where on.

For 10 Points : Buzz Beer of The Drew Cary Show , Rocketfuel Malt Liquor, from "NewsRadio"
For 5 Points : Girlie Girl Beer of Married with Children (2)
Among others: Duff Beer – Simpsons, Dharma Beer – Lost, Flager Beer – Magnum PI

Scores

This was a real though competion between our four players, I really thought we would have a four way tie, but in the end we had two winners in this round

With 40 points : Brandz_mygirl & Gatsby722
And our two runner ups with 35 points: Maninmidohio & Mugaboo

A hearty congratulations goes out to both winners in this round Brandz_mygirl & Gatsby , each will receive a trivia point in the month of November. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#501399 - Sat Dec 12 2009 11:45 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: szabs]
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Nov 30 results are very very overdue. Have been having a very tiring and busy, but good week.

Will get the results out later today and will also be updating myself on the Dec rounds.

#501400 - Sun Dec 13 2009 11:41 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: brandz_mygirl]
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

November 30 Round – Answers

4 lovely folks for the Peeeeeees Please round. Thank you.

1) Please give me the title of another painting by Dali that was completed in the same year as that of “The Persistence of Memory” and has only one or two words in the title/
For Ten Points: Mme Reese, Solitude
For Five Points: Olive (2)
Not mentioned: Erotic Drawing, Figure Clock, Gradiva, Landscape, The Dream, Untitled.

2) From the Pennsylvania Farm Show website, please tell me one of the products that will be on sale at the food court by the Pennsylvania Cattlemen’s Association.
For Ten Points: Apple cider, Beef hotdogs, Chocolate milk, Philly beef steak sandwiches
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Beef BBQ sandwiches, Beef sticks, Peach tea, Rib eye steak sandwiches, Steak egg and cheese sandwiches, White milk.

3) Please proceed to Wikipedia’s article on gestation period and tell me a mammal that has a longer gestation period than that of a human.
For Ten Points: Giraffe, Horse, Rhinoceros (Black), Whale
Not mentioned: Donkey, Elephant, Llama, Otter, Sea Lion, Seal, Zebra (Grant’s).

4) Please give me a song title from the track listing of their (“Peter, Paul and Mary”) first album released.
For Ten Points: 500 Miles, Autumn to May
For Five Points: Early in the Morning (2)
Not mentioned: Bamboo, Cruel War, If I Had A Hammer, If I Had My Way, It’s Raining, Lemon Tree, Sorrow, This Train, Where Have All The Flowers Gone?.

5) Please give me any word that starts with a ‘P’ and ends with a ‘P’.
For Ten Points: Pap, Pinup, Plantership, Proctorship
Not mentioned: Peep, Pip, Pop, Poop, Prep, Pulp & more.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Maninmidohio Well done!

Other Results:
45 points: Gatsby & Mugaboo
40 points: Szabs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ozzz2002