Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#503831 - Tue Dec 01 2009 02:21 AM December Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton Ohio USA              
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.
The winner(s) of each Round are awarded monthly points, which are eventually tallied for the entire year.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Brandz_mygirl
Tuesdays - Gatsby722
Wednesdays - *open*
Thursdays - Denni19
Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
Saturdays - Mugaboo

Any changes, just let us know !

#503832 - Tue Dec 01 2009 02:26 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Gatsby722]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

After two weeks *missing*, I promise I'll get Round 1 up this week, folks . All I have to do is type it up - the other 'stuff' is all done. Sorry I've been so remiss lately. It's almost official, too: I'm changing my middle name to Slacker ..

#503833 - Tue Dec 01 2009 02:56 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Gatsby722]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Round 1 ~ Tuesday

Just a bunch of recent stuff, both large and small?

1. A highly anticipated film is just about to hit theatres (it's that time of year, o' course, when all the "highly anticipated" ones come out so as to grab those big holiday box office bucks and get eligible for Oscar consideration). It's called Brothers, and stars three hot Hollywood actors: Natalie Portman, Tobey Maguire and Jake Gyllenhaal. It's a story about a young man who comforts his older brother's wife and children after big bro goes missing in Afghanistan --- and gets complicated aplenty when said missing brother gets found and sent back home. The TV Guide website took this as an opportunity to take a look at some of the best-known groups of Hollywood Brothers: On-Screen and Off. Kindly tell me one of the ten pairs/groups of siblings they selected, OK?

2. Yikes. This guy again! He continues to push the envelope . This from The Huffington Post: "He's not on '(American) Idol' anymore! Adam Lambert, last season's runner up, performed a raunchy performance at the American Music Awards Sunday night, interrupted by a quick tumble on stage. Lambert alternately had a dancer on a leash, had a dancer's head grinding against his crotch simulating oral sex, and had a hand on his own crotch. He also made out with a male band member and flipped his middle finger. And it was on ABC prime time!" I saw the performance and I, for one, was not offended by the "show" (but I must say, too, that I found most of it a tad unnecessary and could have easily predicted that it would fire up many others who watched). My opinion? I thought, and think, the song itself stinks. And I really think Adam could have sung it much much better. But still, since he is who he is, cries of *homophobia!* and *sexism!* rang out like crazy the next day, especially after he was banned from appearing on a morning talk show ~ they were afraid he might do something disturbing on morning TV, I guess? Enough about gay musicians, though, for the moment. Let's talk about "gay" literature. Over on AfterElton.com they took a poll and came up with AfterElton’s 50 Best Gay Books. Tell me a title of one that ultimately landed in the Top Eight on their list.

3. Speaking of "loves to rattle the audience" types, stand-up comedienne Kathy Griffin has been popping up an especially lot in the media lately. For those unfamiliar, she's the star of the salty TV series "My Life on the D-List" --- an exploration of her efforts to *fit in* amongst the Hollywood big shots (those that she revels in making fun of without boundaries). One expects Ms. Griffin to be off-color every other second, though, so her shock value is never exactly, well, *shocking* very much. She makes me laugh. Her sense of humor is both intelligent and very honest. Why is she all over the place, however? She has a new book out, an autobiography, and it's even on the New York Times bestseller list. Please tell me an odd-numbered chapter in the new book "Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin". Note: you'll probably quickly notice, as you go, why I dare not ask you to submit the name of an even-numbered chapter ...

4. On the home front, a current event was that I got (most of) my Christmas decorations up last weekend. Too early, I'm thinking. I'm kinda sick o' looking at it already ... I'll be ready to make a bonfire using it all come December 20th. This guy is a favorite around here, though. So him I won't tire of. FunTrivia has an esteemed member, an editor, by the name of Snowman, by the way. He's created a bunch of (fine) quizzes, too. The one I'll ask you to have a look at is one I enjoyed bunches, though. I should say that I don't personally know Mr. Snowman, nor did I ask his permission to highlight one of his quizzes like this (it just occurred to me that he might kill me ... but let's hope not ). In Snowman's "I'm a Phobiaphobic!" quiz, each question begins with *I'm ___________*. There's ten questions. Pick one of the word(s) he used to fill in those blanks.

5. Here's an especially overdone piece of "news" on the wires this week. On November 27 billionaire golfer extraordinaire Tiger Woods wrecked his car. Into a fire hydrant and a tree (I think). At 2:30AM while being barefoot, no less (hey, dude ... driving without shoes is a misdemeanor, don't ya know?). His wife allegedly saved him by busting out the back window of his minivan with a [are you ready for it] golf club! One surmises that just opening a door and pulling him out was a preposterous notion? Oh, my, though ... the way this story has played out (due mostly to silence on the part of the Woodses, fueling speculation(s) galore)! Historically squeaky clean Tiger has now been portrayed all the way from being labelled a lecherous low-life cheater to even a victim of spousal abuse! He escaped all this with a few minor injuries, but his reputation has certainly been taken to task thirteen times hourly. None of it changes that he was named Sports Illustrated magazine's "Sportsman of the Year" more than once -- an honor presented to 'the athlete or team whose performance that year most embodies the spirit of sportsmanship and achievement'. To finish, please tell me any other individual (no teams) that received that Sportsman of the Year accolade since 2000.

This will close up shop, such as it is, come Sunday evening! See you then !

#503834 - Sat Dec 05 2009 08:15 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Gatsby722]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

24 hours to go for Round 1, folks !

#503835 - Tue Dec 08 2009 05:47 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Gatsby722]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
Oi!

I did wonder why that quiz was suddenly getting a few more plays.

#503836 - Tue Dec 08 2009 10:23 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Snowman]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Round 1 - Tuesday
"Current Events"
Four outstanding players !

1. The TV Guide website took this as an opportunity to take a look at some of the best-known groups of Hollywood Brothers: On-Screen and Off. Kindly tell me one of the ten pairs/groups of siblings they selected, OK?

For 10 Points:
The Wayans; Luke, Owen and Andrew Wilson
For 5 Points:
Chad and Rob Lowe (2)

The others: The Baldwins; Beau and Jeff Bridges; Ben and Casey Affleck; Donnie and Mark Wahlberg; The Jonas Brothers; Dylan and Cole Sprouse and Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly (who aren't really brothers, but they played some in the movies ...).

2. Over on AfterElton.com they took a poll and came up with AfterElton’s 50 Best Gay Books. Tell me a title of one that ultimately landed in the Top Eight on their list.

For 10 Points:
#2) "Maurice" by E. M. Forster, #4) "At Swim, Two Boys" by Jamie O'Neill, #6) "Hero" by Perry Moore, #8) "Boy Meets Boy" by David Levithan

#1) "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin, #3) "The Front Runner" by Patricia Nell Warren. #5) "Giovanni's Room" by James Baldwin and #7) "The Line of Beauty" by Alan Hollinghurst rounded out the list.

3. Please tell me an odd-numbered chapter in the new book "Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin".

For 10 Points:
Brooke Shields, Don't Read This; Hot Cup O' Talk; The Little Gossip Girl; They Barked, They Laughed

The other applicable chapters are "L.A. Is My Lady"; "From Worcester, MA, To Dick: Stories From The Road"; "Reinventing Myself: I'm Just Like Madonna!"; "My Marriage Begins"; "A Win, A Loss" and "The Wizard Of Woz".

4. In Snowman's "I'm a Phobiaphobic!" quiz, each question begins with *I'm ___________*. There's ten questions. Pick one of the word(s) he used to fill in those blanks.

For 10 Points:
I'm dikephobic!; I'm poinephobic!
Fpr 5 Points:
I'm isolophobic! (2)

I'm sociophobic!, I'm politicophobic?, I'm ashenophobic!, I'm nucleomituphobic!, I'm kakorrhaphiophobic!, I'm neophobic!, I'm hellenophobic! --- would've worked, too.

5. To finish, please tell me any other individual (no teams) that received that Sportsman of the Year accolade since 2000.

For 10 Points:
David Robinson (Professional basketball), Dwyane Wade (Professional basketball)
For 5 Points:
Tim Duncan (Professional basketball) (2)

Curt Schilling (Baseball), Randy Johnson (Baseball), Lance Armstrong (Cycling), Tom Brady (Professional football), Brett Favre (Professional football) and Michael Phelps (Swimming) were the other honored sportsmen this century.

The Results!

50 Points! .... brandz_mygirl
45 Points! .... Mugaboo
40 Points! .... physalius
35 Points! .... maninmidohio

Yay! A perfect score for brandz_mygirl ! Well done, indeed. Thank you all for playing (and thank you, too, to Snowman for not getting mad at me for borrowing the contents of his quiz ).

#503837 - Wed Dec 09 2009 11:06 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Gatsby722]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Round 8 (a day late ) ~ Tuesday

1. Up in the Air is a 2009 American comedy-drama film directed by Jason Reitman. It's about a corporate downsizer in his travels and follows his isolated life and philosophies, along with the people that he meets along the way. George Clooney plays Ryan Bingham, a man who goes around the country to terminate corporate employees (because their actual employers are too chicken to?) It was stated in the film's press notes: "Ryan is like a masseur who comes in and sort of rubs your shoulders while rolling your desk chair into the elevator." Yikes. "On occasion he delivers motivational speeches about the virtue of a relationship-free life. He relishes the comfort of being anonymous during his perpetual travels. He does not have a personal life. His company finally chooses to ground him and keep him at the corporate headquarters in Omaha, Nebraska ..." According to Reitman, "The movie is about the examination of a philosophy—what if you decided to live hub to hub, with nothing, with nobody?" So where's the *comedy*, is my question? Anyway, the movie won big at the National Board of Review last week --- winning Best Film, Actor (Clooney), Supporting Actress (Anna Kendrick) and Screenplay. The first question, though, is: aside from the *title* track, please tell me a tune on the soundtrack of Up in the Air (released by Rhino Records).

2. The new film New Moon, speaking of new flicks, opened in theaters recently at #1, making 10 or 12 billion dollars its opening weekend . OK, not quite that much ... but LOTS. It is, for those not in the know, borne of a series of novels by Stephanie Meyer that covers young vampires and their loves, 'lives' and overall enigmatic moodiness? I hope that summation is close-to-right as I've never actually read a book in the series nor seen one of the movies, I should confess. "New Moon", the novel, made the USA TODAY's Best-Selling Books of Last 15 Years. I need to know any other book that landed within four spots [inclusively] before or after "New Moon"'s location on that list, please.

3. One last *new movie* question. A new biopic called The Blind Side came out BEFORE New Moon, but (o' course) the latter film knocked everything out of the way in earnings the week it opened. Surprisingly, though, The Blind Side came back one week later and took back its spot at #1. It's the story of Michael Oher, a very down-on-his-luck teenager who is taken in by a suburban family, made to feel he belonged, and more importantly made to feel safe and loved. Because of their support, he went on to a completely exemplary college and professional football career. Might you tell me a College award and/or honor given to the real-life Michael Oher?

4. Meredith Baxter got somehow cornered into doing a very unexpected thing last week. She shows up on the "Today" show and (egads) came out o' the closet ! She's best remembered for playing Alex Keaton's (aka Michael J. Fox's) mother on the long-running sitcom "Family Ties" ~ but she's been acting for decades now, mostly in TV movies and as a guest on various dramatic AND comedy series.The rather pathetic part about the whole (mostly unimportant, really) 'event' was that the poor woman had to get on the airwaves like that and spill because she was in the process of being *outed* by some so-called newspapers who'd managed to get hold of some photos of she and her long-time partner. Jeesh. Like they don't have enough to gossip about re: Tiger Woods these days? Now they have to pick on TV Moms, too? Anyway, kindly tell me an episode of "Family Ties" that originally aired in 1989. Note: *Part 1* or *Part 2* of those episodes that year will count as the same title ....

5. Last bit of entertainment news? The Grammy Award nominations came out last week. Again, I'm out o' touch aplenty, and had heard very few of the nominated songs. The Song Of The Year is a songwriter(s) Award, and a category that has named some real classics as winners in it over the years. Will that happen this year? I reckon we'll have to tune in and find out, yes? But, to close, please tell me a male who is nominated for their contribution as a songwiter in the Song of the Year. Please keep in mind that, in some cases, the performer of the song had nothing to do with the writing of it.

This'll close up Monday afternoon! Have a great week and weekend, kids.

#503838 - Fri Dec 11 2009 03:22 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Gatsby722]
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 11 Friday

1. [On the 11th of December 1816 Indiana became the 19th US state. Please give me the name and year of any of the previous states accepted into the union before Indiana.

2. The United Nations Children's Fund (better known as Unicef) was created by the United Nations General Assembly on December 11, 1946, to provide emergency food and healthcare to children in countries that had been devastated by World War II. In 1953, UNICEF became a permanent part of the United Nations System. UNICEF provides long-term humanitarian and developmental assistance to children and mothers in developing countries. From the official UNICEF web site please give me the name of one of their international ambassadors.

3. Apollo 17 landed on the moon on the 11th of December 1972, it was the sixth and final lunar landing mission of the Apollo program. Please give me the first or last name of any of the crew or the back up crew.

4. Hector Berlioz born on December 11, 1803 was a French Romantic composer, best known for his compositions Symphonie fantastique and Grande Messe des morts. Berlioz made significant contributions to the modern orchestra with his Treatise on Instrumentation. Please give me the name of an Overture by Hector Berlioz.

5. To wrap up this round please give me any notable event that occured on the 11th of December.

This round will close on Wednesday, if you have any queries just pm me, in the meantime have great weekend .

#503839 - Sat Dec 12 2009 04:39 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: szabs]
Mugaboo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 12 - Saturday 12th December

1. Last weekend Usian Bolt had his World Record party in Jamaica. Unfortunately he didn't have a drinks licence (Which you need after 2pm), and the star act (Vybz Kartel) didn't turn up till 4am, and it was just after he arrived that the police broke up Bolt's party. Please name a song on Vybz Kartel's album "The Teacher's Back" (Not skits or JP bonus tracks)

2. Lat weekend also saw the BIFAs, the most promising newcomer award went to Katie Jarvis, who was spotted having an argument with her boyfriend (Brian) at Tilbury railway station. Please Name any actor/actress who starred in the film "Fish Tank".

3. On Monday the winner of the Turner Prize was announced, and the winner turned out to be oldest winner in the history of the prize. Please name either one of the four artists nominated for Turner Prize 2009, or one of the four judges.

4. A red wood tree was measured at 120 feet earlier this week. It claims to be the UK's largest Christmas tree, with 2,100 bulbs all topped with a star. It can be found at The Hilton Craigendarroch, at Ballater - which is the smallest Hilton Hotel in the world. Please name any African country that has a Hilton Hotel.

5. A good hint here is eat a good meal before you swallow your sword, this makes your stomach expand downwards, and hence you can fit in a longer sword. Also remember to read the usual notice that says something to the effect of: "this should not be tried out at home folks". Please name any sword Swallower as recognized by Sword Swallowers Association International.

Early Friday morning is when this round will close.

#503840 - Mon Dec 14 2009 10:30 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Mugaboo]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Round 8 - Tuesday
"More Current Events"
Four flashingly brilliant players !

1. The first question, though, is: aside from the *title* track, please tell me a tune on the soundtrack of Up in the Air (released by Rhino Records).

For 10 Points:
Goin' Home (traditional), Taken at All (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
For 5 Points:
Genova (Charles Atlas) (2)

Seven other songs on the album to choose from.

2. "New Moon", the novel, made the USA TODAY's Best-Selling Books of Last 15 Years. I need to know any other book that landed within four spots [inclusively] before or after "New Moon"'s location on that list, please.

For 10 Points:
"Body-for-Life" (#36) by Bill Phillips & Michael D’Orso, "Breaking Dawn" (#41) by Stephenie Meyer, "The Lovely Bones" (#35) by Alice Sebold, "Night" (#38) by Elie Wiesel - translations by Marion Wiesel and Stella Rodway

"The Four Agreements" (#33) by Don Miguel Ruiz, "Angela's Ashes" (#34) by Frank McCourt, "Chicken Soup for the Soul" (#39) by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen and "The Greatest Generation" (#40) by Tom Brokaw would've been right, too. "New Moon" was #37, by the way ...

3. Might you tell me a College award and/or honor given to the real-life Michael Oher?

For 10 Points:
2005 First Team All-Quad Freshman Chrome [AQFC] Tackle Letius, 2005 First Team SEC All-Freshman, 2007 First Team All-SEC, 2008 Outland Trophy finalist

Oher was also picked for: 2005 First Team Freshman All-America, 2008 First Team All-America, 2008 First Team All-SEC, 2008 Shug Jordan Award as the Southeast Offensive Lineman of the Year, 2008 Colonel Earl “Red” Blaik Leadership-Scholarship Award, 2008 Conerly Trophy finalist and a 2008 Lombardi Award semifinalist.

4. Anyway, kindly tell me an episode of "Family Ties" that originally aired in 1989.

For 10 Points:
All in the Neighborhood, The Job Not Taken, Nick's Best Friend, The Wrecker's Ball

Lots more on that one: "Basic Training", "Deja Vu", "Get Me to the Living Room on Time", "My Best Friend's Girl", "Til Her Daddy Takes the T-Bird Away", "Simon Says", "Rain Forests Keep Falling on My Head", "They Can't Take That Away From Me", "Wrap Around the Clock", "Mr. Keaton Takes a Vacation" & "Alex Doesn't Live Here Anymore".

5. But, to close, please tell me a male who is nominated for their contribution as a songwiter in the Song of the Year. Please keep in mind that, in some cases, the performer of the song had nothing to do with the writing of it.

For 10 Points:
Caleb Followill, Jared Followill, Matthew Followill, Nathan Followill (all Kings of Leon band members who wrote their own song "Use Somebody")

RedOne (nee Nadir Khayat) (for "Poker Face", performed by Lady GaGa), Hod David & Musze (for "Pretty Wings", performed by Maxwell), Thaddis Harrell, Terius Nash (aka "The Dream") & Christopher "Tricky" Stewart (all three for "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)", performed by Beyonce) are the other fellows in the running for the award.

The Results!

50 Points! .... Mugaboo and szabs
45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl and maninmidohio

Two winners with perfectly perfect scores that time --- and the other two were just one matched answer behind. Well-played, folks! A point, this time, to Mugaboo and szabs!
Thanks for playing.

#503841 - Wed Dec 16 2009 11:57 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Gatsby722]
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Excuse me folks may I have your atention please Round 11 will stay open till tomorrow, hopefully, by then my mailbox might have a few more answers .

#503842 - Fri Dec 18 2009 09:02 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: szabs]
Mugaboo Offline
Mainstay

Answers Round 12 - 4 played

1. Please name a song on Vybz Kartel's album "The Teacher's Back."
For 10 points: Dream; Imagine; Cosanostra; Life Story
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned: Court Case; Addi Addi Addi; Buss My Gun; The Teacher Says; Sexy Seductive Wine; Solomonic Chronic; Luxury Love; Love

2. Please Name any actor/actress who starred in the film "Fish Tank".
For 10 points: Sarah Bayes; Chelsea Chase; Kirsty Smith; Kierston Wareing
Not mentioned include: Charlotte Collins; Rebecca Griffiths; Toyin Ogidi; Carrie-Ann Savill

3. Please name either one of the four artists nominated for Turner Prize 2009, or one of the four judges.
For 10 points: Charles Esche; Jonathan Jones (both judges)
For 5 points: Andrea Schlieker (judge) [2]
Not mentioned: Enrico David; Roger Hiorns; Lucy Skaer; Richard Wright (all artists) and Mariella Frostrup (judge)

4. Please name any African country that has a Hilton Hotel.
For 10 points: Egypt; South Africa
For 5 points: Cameroon
Not mentioned: Algeria; Ethiopia; Kenya; Nigeria

5. Please name any sword Swallower as recognized by Sword Swallowers Association International.
For 10 points: Julian Bell; Samora Clark; Alexander Fenech; Jorge de Barros Olivera
Not mentioned include: Johnny Fox; Erik Kloeker; Dan Meyer; Hans Rosling

Scores:

50 points: Maninmidohio
45 points: Brandz_mygirl; Gatsby722
40 points: Szabs

Four wonderfully bright contestants, but only one winner, well done Maninmidohio. Happy Yule tide to you all.

#503843 - Fri Dec 18 2009 09:55 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Mugaboo]
szabs Offline
Star Poster

December 11 Answers

Four "Calling Birds" participated in this round.

1. On the 11th of December 1816 Indiana became the 19th US state. Please give me the name and year of any of the previous states accepted into the union before Indiana.

10 Points to all:Kentucky, North Carolina, Louisiana, Massachusetts
Among others: Delaware, Georgia, Pennsylvania

2. The United Nations Children's Fund (better known as Unicef) was created by the United Nations General Assembly on December 11, 1946. UNICEF provides long-term humanitarian and developmental assistance to children and mothers in developing countries. From the official UNICEF web site please give me the name of one of their international ambassadors.

10 Points to all : Harry Belafonte, Tetsuko Kuroyanagi, Femi Kuti, Ricky Martin
Among others: David Beckham, Jessica Lang, HM Queen Rania

3. Apollo 17 landed on the moon on the 11th of December 1972, it was the sixth and final lunar landing mission of the Apollo program. Please give me the first or last name of any of the crew or the back up crew.

10 Points to all : Harrison, Stuart, Schmitt, Ronald
Among others: Eugene, Alfred, James, Irwin

4. Hector Berlioz born on December 11, 1803 was a French Romantic composer, best known for his compositions Symphonie fantastique and Grande Messe des morts. Berlioz made significant contributions to the modern orchestra with his Treatise on Instrumentation. Please give me the name of an Overture by Hector Berlioz.

10 Points to all : Les Francs Juges, La fuite en Egypte, Le Carnaval romain, Le Roi Lear
Among others: Waverley, Rob Roy, Le Corsaire

5. To wrap up this round please give me any notable event that occurred on the 11th of December.

10 Points to all : James II Abdicates (1688), King Edward VIII of Britain abdicates the throne to marry American Wallis Warfield Simpson (1936), The New Zealand Parliament Buildings are almost completely destroyed by fire (1907), Bernard Madoff is arrested and charged with securities fraud in a $50 billion Ponzi scheme (2008)
Among others: Lithuania declares its independence from Russia (1917), World War II: Germany and Italy declare war on the United States (1941)

Scores

This was a real though competition between our four players, I really thought we would have a sole winner, but in the end, all of you have ended up with a perfect score, my congratulations to all four of you, who will all receive a much sought after December trivia point as a stocking filler for the holiday season.

With 50 points :
Brandz_mygirl , Gatsby722, Maninmidohio & Mugaboo.

I would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, I will not be able to do my round on the 25th of December as I will be away for a few days, my next round will be on the 8th of January, till then, enjoy your holiday season.

#503844 - Tue Dec 22 2009 04:44 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: szabs]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Round 22 ~ Tuesday

I feel like I'm with Santa dashing through the snow here, but I decided to throw together a quick (breezy) set of questions that cover just a short few of the pervasive year-end lists that are bombarding the airwaves at this time o' year.

1. Roger Ebert, film critic for the Chicago Sun Times, has come up with his *Best* list for 2009. He broke them into two groups this time -- Best Mainstream and Best Independent films. To start, please tell me a movie he named on the *Independent* list.

2. While on cinema, Rotten Tomatoes has gone back a bit further than just a year. They list the Worst of the Worst: Counting down the worst reviewed movies of the last TEN years. Pick one of 'em from the top ten, OK?

3. On December 20, writers for The New York Times (Mark Leibovich and Grant Barrett) listed their choices of The Buzzwords of 2009 that they found particularly noteworthy. From their selections, kindly tell me a word or phrase that starts with the letters G, R, A, N or T.

4. As they annually do, the *masters* of year-end lists, Time magazine has offered up their issue that covers "The Top 10 Everything " of 2009. One of their more interesting categories (in my opinion) is the Top 10 Political Gaffes of the year. This time, pick one of the Top Eight on that one.

5. Over on TV.com staff writer Tim Surette assembled his survey of The Best New TV Characters of 2009 --- not based on his own opinion, but based on the results culled when the site's readers were polled. Again, all I need is for you to pick any of the top vote-grabbers (there are ten of them). Note: you'll also notice a list of 'The Next Best' --- but don't use those, OK?

I think I'll probably leave this open until szabs returns from her time away ~ just to give everyone a chance to jump in.
Hey, guys and gals ! May you all have a crazy happy Merry Christmas!, yes? Enjoy every second of it!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Dec 22 2009 09:35 PM)

#503845 - Sat Dec 26 2009 03:00 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Gatsby722]
Mugaboo Offline
Mainstay

Round 26 - Saturday 26th December

Now while the moderators are all tipsy from Christmas, we can get up to shenanigans not normally approved of, namely some good old poaching.

1. We'll start our poaching with somethings easy, we'll get somes Eels from a Spanish river. So find a pool on the Arroyo del Nacimiento and lower a bail of hay into the water. First place in your hay, the entrials of the turkey you ate yesterday. Making sure the whole thing is well hidden near the banks of the river, so it can't be seen by the keeper. It won't be long (maybe two days) before an eel is having a snack and you can haul the hay out of the water, mission accomplished. And while you're there you might want to bag some Spanish red-leg partridge and turtledoves so you can send a few gifts to your true love. Although you'll need to train those partridge to sit in a tree first, as they are ground dwelling birds. Please tell me any items from days three to twelve that are sent to your true love according to the popular song at christmas.

2. Let's see how good the gamekeeper is in Canton. Here we'll go bag ourselves an eastern cottontail. We need some preparation here, after you've found a field that has a few in, they like brushy fence rows, field edges, gullies filled with debris or anywhere with plenty of cover. Block all the runs, with gorse or or anything that's will put them off going that way. You'll need a net (We'll come back to that later), and place it on the gate, where the rabbit will come through, big enough to drape over the top bar, and have some billowing at the foot of the gate. It will need to be dark, or else the cottontail will see the net when it runs into it, you'll need some light to see yourself, so not pitch black. Your accomplice comes from the other end of the field with a dog, under control not chasing after them, just enough to get the critters nervous, they will probably be about 100 meters in front of the dog, they will smell the dog and get quite nervous, they live for eating, breeding and hiding. You laying in wait at the gate, will suddenly hear the stone you placed on the net drop from the gate, and a small scuffle, quickly now, rush out and dispatch the animal. You could buy a suitable net from a local, but remember word might get around, and yon game keeper might get suspicious, so make you own. Please give me any knot that would be sutable to use for making nets.

3. Next we'll try to catch ourselves a peacock, these are plentiful throughout Singapore, so that's where we're off to next. If someone gave you an unwanted bottle of Whisky for Christmas, that will do fine, not scotch you understand (too good to waste), but something like that English stuff that they have just started to sell, first English Whisky for over a century they say. Soak some grain in that, and leave it for the peacock to eat. When the bird has lost it's faculties, pounce, nobble it, put it in your sack and hide it behind that holly bush, because you'll never get it past the lady at the garden gate. So how do we get it past the lady at the gate? Ask the her for a cutting of bougainvillea, that's how. This keeper is too nice to say no, then put the cuttings sticking out of your sack, with the peacock underneath, then out the gate with the friendly staff waving goodbye to you. There are eight hybrid bougainvilleas mentioned on the Singapore Botanic Gardens website, name one of them please. (They grow in the Bukit Timah Core)

4. It's to Romania now for some bear hunting. Won't get much hanging around Bucharest, so we'll take a hike up to the Carpathian Mountains, where we'll find them a plenty (Romania has more bears than any other European country), and save us the 150 Euro tax per day one should pay the the Romanian Government (and it's not the hunting season for them). You'll need to stork them with a high caliber rifle, but don't use the method used by Nicolae Ceausescu. His staff chained a drugged and tied a brown bear to a tree, with marksmen hiding close by to ensure success. On one ocassion Ceausescu fell over when he was shooting and his bullet sailed into the treetops. This was followed by thunderous applause from his staff when the bear dropped dead, with three marksman's bullets in it. Please name any sub-species of Brown Bear.

5. One of our toughest keepers comes from Licking County, Ohio. It's here we intend to shoot ourselves a snipe, the snipe hunting season ended three days ago, so extra care is needed. You need to be a good shot to hit a snipe, but once you've got it, shove it in your sack and head for back in the direction of your parked car. **Oh! Oh!** The keeper is about to catch you red handed - good thing we prepared in advance for this. We'd stashed a bag of leaves in the copse on the route back to the car. Hide your snipe here, you can come back for it later, and head back. Now you can have a good laugh, you got away, the keeper can't take you into the sheriff's office for stealing a bag of leaves! Name any hunted animal that is in "Season" in Ohio at the moment (26th December).

Usual rules apply, 10 points if you get clean away, 5 if you're got by the keeper and no points if you're flung in jail. I'll be wanting to eat these goodies for my new years lunch, so the round will close on Friday 1st January 5am (FT time)

#503846 - Wed Dec 30 2009 07:20 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Mugaboo]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Round 22 will be closing up in a day from *now* ! AND Round 29 will be occupying this space sometime today. Not sure exactly what happened, but I had some problems (technical ones) transmitting stuff yesterday, so couldn't get it assembled . So I apologize for the delays ...

#503847 - Thu Dec 31 2009 07:00 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Gatsby722]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Round 22 - Tuesday
"A Few 2009 Lists"
Three Players !

1. To start, please tell me a movie he (Roger Ebert) named on his *Independent* Films of 2009 list.

For 10 Points:
Goodbye Solo, Sin Nombre, Skin

Departures, Disgrace, Everlasting Moments, Julia, Silent Light, Trucker and You, the Living are the others on the list..

2. Pick one of 'em (Rotten Tomatoes worst reviewed movies of the last TEN years), OK?

For 10 Points:
#3) Pinocchio (2002), #4) King's Ransom (2005), #7) Strange Wilderness (2008)

The others listed (in order):
1. Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever (2002)
2. One Missed Call (2008)
5. National Lampoon's Gold Diggers (2004)
6. Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2 (2004)
8. 3 Strikes (2000)
9. Redline (2007)
10. Witless Protection (2008)

3. From their selections, kindly tell me a buzzword or phrase that starts with the letters G, R, A, N or T.

For 10 Points:
*Aporkalypse* (undue worry in response to swine flu ~ includes unnecessary acts like removing nonessential kisses from Mexican telenovelas and the mass slaughter of pigs in Egypt); *Great Recession* (a reference to the current economic downturn ~ used at least a few times for every recession since 1980, but never with such vigor as now); *Torture Memos* (Bush administration documents that secretly authorized the torture of suspected terrorists)

Leaving *Athey* (an atheist, usually derogatory); *Government Motors* (a nickname for General Motors, which is now majority owned by the federal government); *Gaymarry* -or- *Gay-Marry* (to marry someone of the same sex -- also used hyperbolically to mean to form an unconventional relationship, as in, “I love my new cellphone so much I want to gay-marry it.”); *Green Shoots* (signs of an economic recovery or of a company’s financial turnaround); *Netbook* (an inexpensive portable computer, usually smaller than a laptop but larger than a smartphone, intended mainly for use with the Internet); *Tea Party* (an organized gathering of antitax, antigovernment and/or anti-Obama protestors), *Teabagger* (a derogatory name for attendees of Tea Parties, probably coined in allusion to a sexual practice) -and- *Tenther* (a person who believes the federal government is mostly illegal because it usurps rights that belong to the states, in violation of the 10th Amendment, which reads, “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”) as the unselected other right answers on said (dubious) roster ...

4. This time, pick one of the Top Eight *Political Gaffes* on that one.

For 10 Points:
#1) Joe Biden's Swine Flu Hysteria, #4) Hillary Clinton Gets Lost in Translation, #5) Michael Steele's Abortion Aberration

The others? Barack Obama's Bowling Blooper, Joe Wilson's Unwanted Outburst, Larry Summers' White House Sleepover, Barack Obama Opens the Floodgates -and- Joe Biden's Stimulus Stumble.

5. Again, all I need is for you to pick any of the top vote-grabbers in *Best New TV Characters of 2009* (there are ten of them).

For 10 Points:
Abed from "Community", Richard Castle from "Castle", Rev. Steve Newlin from "True Blood"

Mitchell from "Modern Family", Damon Salvatore from "The Vampire Diaries", Sue Sylvester from "Glee", Arthur 'Trinity' Mitchell from "Dexter", Lucifer from "Supernatural" -and- Tanya from "Hung" were also list-worthy this year.

The Reults!

50 Points! .... maninmidohio, Mugaboo and szabs

Yay. Three perfect scores on that one! Congrats to all of ya ! Point, Point, point for December.

You'll note that I did not get yesterday's questions up a promised. Sorry 'bout that --- after a moment's thought I decided I might as well, now, wait until next week (the "New Year") and post them. Maybe more folks will be back in the mix by then, too. Holiday *blues* and/or *busies* all behind us.

Gotta throw this out to you guys, too: clearly, we really need to try to rustle up some more players and/or spirit behind these Trivia Rounds as the new year looms, yes? Any ideas? I've heard a few good ideas on the subject so far (recruiting people from your team boards, etc.) and I'm pretty sure we're down to the spot where ANY idea, by now, is better than none. I won't dare speak for anybody else, o' course, but it gets very defeating (for me, anyway) to put the time into composing a set --- even though I enjoy doing it, I really do! --- and then to have so little feedback. We *regulars* are (usually, while wobbly in my case ) as reliable as songs from Les Miserables escaping the lips of Susan Boyle! But we need more players! Where do you all think we might rustle some up? I've heard from some corners that FT members have looked at our Rounds, but won't play 'em for fear that one can't play without hosting (and they're not too keen on having to draft questions). Rest assured one can play without having to host, ever, if one doesn't wish to --- which we know, but maybe some browsers out there don't. And one doesn't have to play every Round, either, to be part of the *mix*! Some think it's required that way. I'm sure we all agree that these Trivia Rounds are fun, fun, fun ! Somehow or other, I'm also sure they'd be mighty MORE fun [again] if we had more people jumping in.
I'm all invested in this, natch. Like Mr. Mugaboo, I've been in the swim of the Rounds (pretty much) from nearly the start of 'em. And these l-o-n-g slumps are nothing new (albeit not quite as long as this one has turned out). But I'd hate to see them peter out, and I say so especially based on history of when they bustled. Again, any ideas ~ please send them to me (or share them here) .
Save the whales? Save bankrupt car manufacturers in a brutal recession? Save that horny director in the new movie Nine? Bah to all that ! They've got their masses of interest already. Somehow or other, our little pocket of FT-ers needs to save these wonderful (and tested, over time) Trivia Rounds.

And I'll shut up now. Except to say: "Happy New Year!" You guys are terrific !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Thu Dec 31 2009 12:39 PM)

#503848 - Fri Jan 01 2010 09:23 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds 2009 [Re: Gatsby722]
Mugaboo Offline
Mainstay

Answers Round 26 - 3 played

1. Please tell me any items from days three to twelve that are sent to your true love according to the popular song at Christmas.
For 10 points: Calling birds (4); Gold rings (5); Swans a' swimming (7)
Not mentioned: French Hens (3); Geese a' laying (6); Maids a' milking (8); Ladies dancing (9); Lords a' leaping (10); Pipers piping (11); Drummers drumming (12)

2. Please give me any knot that would be sutable to use for making nets.
For 10 points: Clove Hitch; Granny Knot; Widener knot
Not mentioned include: Fisherman’s Knot; Netting Knot; Reef Knot

3. There are eight hybrid bougainvilleas mentioned on the Singapore Botanic Gardens website, name one of them please.
For 10 points: Calcutta; Easter Parade; Lord of Willindon
Not mentioned: Elizabeth Angus; Mrs Eva; Penang; Pride of Singapore; Singapore Pink

4. Please name any sub-species of Brown Bear.
For 10 points: Kodiak Bear
For 5 points: Syrian Brown Bear [2]
Not mentioned include: Eurasian Brown Bear; Kamchatka Brown Bear; Tibetan Blue Bear

5. Name any hunted animal that is in "Season" in Ohio at the moment (26th December).
For 10 points: Raccoon; Ringneck Pheasant; Weasel
Not mentioned include: Cottontail; Crow; Fox; Groundhog

Scores:

50 points: Maninmidohio
45 points: Gatsby722; Szabs

The top poacher seems to be Maninmidohio, well done, he gets a point to place in his trophy cabinet. The other two used their ill gotten gains to bribe the Romanian keeper - hence I ate duck for lunch today.

Happy new year to you all.

I must also echo the call for new players. I'm not sure I'll continue with these rounds, if numbers don't pick up by the end of March. For the first couple of years I never got fewer than six players, the last couple of months I've been lucky to get that many. Myself, having it advertised on "The Buzz" would be the best idea, if Terry can program it in. Even if our esteemed moderator, sends a message there when ever a new round is spotted it would do.

Moderator:  ozzz2002