Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#505509 - Sat Jan 30 2010 04:54 PM Re: Old Members [Re: tim10001]
MollyGrue Offline
Prolific

Loc: Michigan USA
Wasn't it possible at one time to get a Fun Trivia thong?

Oh, my, I just noticed I've been here for almost nine years, does that make me an old one?

Edited by MollyGrue (Sat Jan 30 2010 04:59 PM)

#505510 - Sat Jan 30 2010 06:03 PM Re: Old Members [Re: MollyGrue]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Oh yes Tim! I had forgotten half of that!It seems like a lifetime ago!
Yes Betsy that DOES make you an OLD member!! And no you can't have an FT thong!

#505511 - Sun Jan 31 2010 06:41 AM Re: Old Members [Re: tim10001]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
yep, I can remember all of that; except for the old bulletin board .. it predates the date I joined (26 Dec 1999).

There's a post somewhere in here by Terry re the birth of Quizzyland. He had no idea how it would pan out .. he was expecting a dozen or so quizzes a week!

#505512 - Sun Jan 31 2010 06:47 AM Re: Old Members [Re: gtho4]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Did you get an FT thong though, George?

#505513 - Sun Jan 31 2010 07:58 AM Re: Old Members [Re: ren33]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

nope, missed out on that one

#505514 - Sun Jan 31 2010 08:21 AM Re: Old Members [Re: gtho4]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Maybe Terry didn't have your size....

#505515 - Sun Jan 31 2010 07:41 PM Re: Old Members [Re: ren33]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I remember about half of those, mainly as I was one of those much maligned visitors who only came to ask and answer questions for 3 years as I only had basic dialup and besides tying up the phone when online was charged every minute I was until mid 2003.

Again, I missed the bulletin boards, but when I arrived there were the daily and weekly quizzes by Snowbird, the encyclopedia of useless information (or a variation of) and the forums. Quizzyland arrived a week after my questions had been mainly covered thoroughly (and by at least one person on this thread who answered the lion's share), and when I returned to find Ask FT set up specifically for that purpose rather than just in the forum it was a year later.

I did contribute one fact to the encyclopedia as well, and read many more, discovering apparently the most popular category of all was toilets. From then I knew I was in good company. A year later although the post a fact page still opened it was impossible to add them, I tried for ages and gave up, and discovered it had been closed to new entries some months earlier which was a shame as I'd been saving some more up.

Other landmarks were the short lived chatroom, when the Brits went to bed the Americans finished dinner, meaning I was faced with a stream of new arrivals till 4am or so and couldn't not say hello. I certainly remember the controversial issues as that was about 2003-4 when I rarely missed a day and was far better as a spectator than a participant. As sheer entertainment alone I agree it was far better than reading a book or watching the TV as it was real life. I think I know the person you mean as well but imagine it without such characters? Then there was the guru list, which I started trying to work my way up and for reasons I don't know to this day ran out of steam after only 8 answers in Ask FT. My only excuse was that with qs and as I started losing track after a while (no 'my questions' link then) and decided to use the forums as they were saved to find later. But that didn't stop me answering so I stand shamed.

I certainly remember the FT shop and by the time I decided to get a mug and sticker it had gone as well, and somehow doubt one will appear on Ebay as few people would want to sell them.

Otherwise the things I do remember are the names, including tim10001 of course. There's also Bossyboots who's been a mainstay of computers & technology as long as I remember, tjoebigham who's been a mainstay of every part of the site besides the chatboards (as far as I know?), Chelseabelle who could probably write a few volumes from all the journalistic type material she's posted consistently, Bruyere who is also on a par there, all the current admin team who were staff I think as long as I can go back, Linda1, Sypher who also kept things going in half the forums from way back, Finlady who was very active and helpful in Ask FT who is sadly missed, PaulE who answered my first question and still logs in from time to time, and finally but not least, and not here for a long time, the irreplaceable Moonrockie, who always typed in blue (my favourite) and famous if nothing else for his two page tirade on copyright (and being the 5000th member which he reminded people of every day or so). Another hilarious thread to read and may even still be here if it made the cutoff page. And the argument with Gunslinger where someone decided to have a go at him and got more and more patronising while Gunslinger was clearly splitting his sides laughing while answering. Again, I hope that one's survived for anyone who hasn't read it. He truly showed his class and patience there as most people would have cracked after so many rude comments but he kept his cool right through. I like memories, anyone noticed that before?

Edited by satguru (Sun Jan 31 2010 07:47 PM)

UN IPCC

#505516 - Sun Jan 31 2010 08:06 PM Re: Old Members [Re: satguru]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I always thought Moonrockie was female, with that Care Bear avatar.

Anyone remember Snake? I can remember leaving a dinner early as I had to get home to take my designated playing slot.

#505517 - Sun Jan 31 2010 10:37 PM Re: Old Members [Re: sue943]
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: New York USA
tim10001 and satguru are certainly bringing back a lot of memories. I think I had forgotten about the bulletin board, and the fact that the Lounge was called the Funtrivia Tavern, and Gunslinger's showdowns with Sagebrush, and that green frog at the top of the main page, but as soon as you mentioned them, it all came back. And, Sue, I had also forgotten about Snake. That was a great game that Sypher came up with. I remember being nervous that I would miss my "appointment time" to play because I sometimes had problems getting online with my WebTV. tim10001 must also remember Pinhead, who, along with Linda1, was one of the first Mods on FT. And, like satguru, I also have fond memories of Finlady.

My old brain needs some jogging. What else can you folks remember?

#505518 - Mon Feb 01 2010 12:58 AM Re: Old Members [Re: chelseabelle]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Quote:

I think I had forgotten about the bulletin board, and the fact that the Lounge was called the Funtrivia Tavern, and Gunslinger's showdowns with Sagebrush, and that green frog at the top of the main page, but as soon as you mentioned them, it all came back.

Is this him; is this the frog?

#505519 - Mon Feb 01 2010 06:00 AM Re: Old Members [Re: gtho4]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
That is the frog.

#505520 - Mon Feb 01 2010 08:42 AM Re: Old Members [Re: sue943]
fjohn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wyoming USA Way Out West
We can go back to the beginning of Fun Trivia via the Way Back Machine found here: http://web.archive.org/collections/web.html
It has been very slow to respond lately, probably because of the enormous volume it handles (something like 10 terrabytes).

#505521 - Mon Feb 01 2010 08:55 AM Re: Old Members [Re: fjohn]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton Ohio USA              
Just to pop this back to what caught my eye, for a moment (not that I don't love, love, love reading you guys talking 'back when', mind you ... and I hope you all keep talkin').

Quote:

I think this is a suitable thread to say that today marks my sixth anniversary on the Forums!

Miss Jane! May I say a little something? It has been a pleasure and a privelege (unmatched) sharing these Forums with you! You're a sweetie, for sure.

#505522 - Mon Feb 01 2010 02:09 PM Re: Old Members [Re: Gatsby722]
tim10001 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Concord
  California USA   
@ Chelseabelle, Yes of course I remember Pinhead. If I'm not mistaken he/she had one of the first avatars here in the forums, an image of a guy with about a thousand pins sticking out of his head. Scary stuff. And who could ever forget Linda1 and her obsession with all things Oz (as in the Wizard of Oz) related. The woman actually used tell us regularly that she was wearing her ruby slippers! Some of the other names that I remember from those early days, Leprechaun, Sandalwood, TexasJoe, Partsdude, thejazzkickazz, BoyScout.

@gtho4, yep that's him! I think he may have been drawn by the same cartoonist that used to make the images for the "cartoon caption of the day" dealie. That was some funny stuff! Btw, whatever did you end up naming that horse? Oh, and have you ever gotten to drive one of those hot Ford Falcons? I know they are very rare and unbelievably expensive now.

Also, the image of that frog should somehow be made into a badge. I am not really into collecting badges or points here anymore, but I would do what ever would be necessary to have HIM on my profile page!

Edited by tim10001 (Mon Feb 01 2010 02:16 PM)

#505523 - Mon Feb 01 2010 02:42 PM Re: Old Members [Re: sue943]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

I always thought Moonrockie was female, with that Care Bear avatar.

Unless Miles is a girl's name as well I'd have said male, but I remember a different moon related avatar. I've found the profile and related posts but the avatar's gone now. Good news, he's still around although not posted for ages- are you there Moonrockie, care to say hello?

Moonrockie profile

I remember Pinhead, and there was a Pinfire as well to confuse things. Capricorn1, Boy Scout, Shadowhippie, Sandalwood, Astrix, and Armen/Arsen who posted a list of questions every week till about 2004. I could go on but maybe that will jog some more memories for now.

Edited by satguru (Mon Feb 01 2010 02:57 PM)

#505524 - Mon Feb 01 2010 02:47 PM Re: Old Members [Re: tim10001]
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I just had a look at the time machine there and it was a trip. I was looking at when I noticed the forums existed and it was a bit like Alice seeing a small door or a biscuit that would make her enter the next place.
I had already been a participant in quizzyland as I found this place looking for material like how many rat hairs are in a pound of spaghetti...and found a link to this site.
I looked at the way back machine and I created a lot of quizzes in February of 2001.
It was a good way to keep up my English.

As to the forums here though, I remember reading a discussion of the Timothy McVeigh execution and maybe responding. I remember Cellar Door on there back then.

Though I became a moderator here for a short time, immediately preceding the September eleven events, I never actually introduced myself in the welcome center. I saw a few old names like Magpie who was here with us for a while.

Tim10001 you have always been my neighbor in spirit and I did quizzes like yours with great nostalgia for the cultural references I missed living abroad.

I remember Copago and I getting to know each other and reading her announcing she was expecting. Seems like only yesterday.

I remember feeling like there was almost someone on in a time zone compatible with mine then.

Oh, I saw the name I was looking for..Jax. He and I were participants in the gun debate for a while. He was always a gentleman to me though we had widely divergent opinions to say the least. However I found myself thinking about him when my own father was attacked at gunpoint and defended himself with an old gun and enjoyed his fifteen minutes of fame. I'm sure he'd say it was a shame he hadn't hit the guys instead of scaring them away. But I remember Jax as always being courteous to me in those debates.

#505525 - Mon Feb 01 2010 03:42 PM Re: Old Members [Re: Bruyere]
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: New York USA
Jax, Astrix, TexasJoe, Leprechaun... Sure, I remember all of them. I just needed some help.

And, with the help of the Way Back Machine, I just spotted DreamWeave, shuttlebunny, GarytheG, Phellan, amlet, mickeymouse24, auschic, BagLady, princesspatty, Cohalen, fay_mc

What fun it is to go back and read through those old Forums. The Funtrivia Market Square was quite a lively place.

I think I'm beginning to feel 10 years younger now.

#505526 - Mon Feb 01 2010 05:10 PM Re: Old Members [Re: satguru]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Boyscout must be all of 20 years old by now!

#505527 - Tue Feb 02 2010 10:21 AM Re: Old Members [Re: ren33]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
This coming May, I'll have been here for just a measley 7 years. There have been lots of changes and additions during the time I've been on. I remember the chat rooms that were here for awhile, like Satguru mentioned. I even chatted with him a few times. I think that's where I met Leau and I had lots of conversations with ette. I didn't participate much in the Controversial Issues threads but I sure enjoyed reading them everyday. For awhile there, the lively discussions there is what kept me coming back. Ohhh, isn't reminiscing fun?

#505528 - Tue Feb 02 2010 11:22 AM Re: Old Members [Re: fjohn]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
Quote:

I just noticed that several of us 'old timers' were registered on Fun Trivia in the last century!

Even ones who registered in 2000 also registered last century.

#505529 - Tue Feb 02 2010 12:49 PM Re: Old Members [Re: dg_dave]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Dave, they discussed this for hours on the radio recently, do we actually have an authority that AD started from year 1 and not year 0? That was the proposition but no one actually had a source.

UN IPCC

#505530 - Tue Feb 02 2010 01:32 PM Re: Old Members [Re: satguru]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
Quote:

Dave, they discussed this for hours on the radio recently, do we actually have an authority that AD started from year 1 and not year 0? That was the proposition but no one actually had a source.

I found this site which states there was no year 0.

#505531 - Tue Feb 02 2010 02:08 PM Re: Old Members [Re: dg_dave]
tim10001 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Concord
  California USA   
@ dg_dave & satguru, wow this is kinda like the "Controversial Issues" forum. Dave, it's on the internet, so it HAS to be true, right? Keep going guys, this is good!

@ ren33, yeah he'd be about 20 now, that is if he hasn't left as the result of tragically nerdy whittling accident! Oooo, that was bad. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

@ Bruyere, Hi neighbor!

Edited by tim10001 (Tue Feb 02 2010 02:27 PM)

#505532 - Tue Feb 02 2010 03:27 PM Re: Old Members [Re: tim10001]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

@tim10001, do you remember dino?
I can't remember which horse that was .. whatever it was, it never made it to the track. It was a waste of time, and money! I've never driven a Phase 4; there are only three of them in existence. I did get to touch one of them last year; at a road-show!.

#505533 - Tue Feb 02 2010 03:29 PM Re: Old Members [Re: gtho4]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Here's an old header; it was used by Terry towards the end of the last century:

update to dead link:

Edited by gtho4 (Fri Jun 01 2012 01:53 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943