Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 45 of 53 < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 52 53 >
Topic Options
#973553 - Thu Mar 21 2013 08:50 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mesa AZ
Inability, impaired ability, complete lack of ability...Maybe if they had offered your two definitions, I would have been able to read and perceive the words.

#973563 - Thu Mar 21 2013 09:56 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: ssabreman
maple-leaf - emblem of canada

maple leaf is not a hyphenated word

Got this one in reverse. Are these being attended to? Just asking.
15. The emblem of Canada
Your answer: maple-leaf

#973570 - Thu Mar 21 2013 11:20 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
No, corrections like that are not being attended to, as they are in the source dictionary (which is not here at FunTrivia). Terry can, and has, filtered out a lot of material that is unacceptable for one reason or another, but the database itself is just out there. Unless you can figure out which one it is, and get the corrections made there!

#973762 - Sat Mar 23 2013 05:58 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
froggyx Offline
Explorer

Loc: Greater Manchester England UK
Haha, this has never happened to me before. 3 times the same question in Word Wizard (I mean it happens in the Expert and the Easy Game quite often, but it's not that usual in WW, is it?)

5. A crime that undermines the offender's government

Your answer: treason

9. An act of deliberate betrayal

Your answer: treason

15. A crime that undermines the offender's government

Your answer: high treason

#976239 - Thu Apr 04 2013 11:47 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ITSOUNO11 Offline
Participant

Loc: Virgin Islands USA
Is subsidence gradual sinking or sudden collapse? Both were correct answers.

2. Subsidence
Your answer: a gradual sinking to a lower level

3. Subsidence
Your answer: the sudden collapse of something into a hollow beneath it

#976243 - Fri Apr 05 2013 12:08 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

It can be either, it just has to involve downward movement. In this game, you won't find both of those options on offer and need to choose between them.

#977179 - Tue Apr 09 2013 04:20 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

I think the wording here was cut short and produced an incorrect definition.

13. Cradle
Your answer: run with the stick

This is from dictionary.com in reference to lacrosse.
19. lacrosse - to keep (the ball) in the net of the stick, esp while running with it.

The intent is that you are holding the ball. Running with it is secondary. In either case, it should mention ball.

#979174 - Thu Apr 18 2013 04:15 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Another chop job which makes the definition wrong.

Involution - correct answer is raising a number to a specified power

But from dictionary.com
Compare evolution an algebraic operation in which a number, variable, expression etc, is raised to a specified power
Compare involution an algebraic operation in which the root of a number, expression, etc, is extracted

#979195 - Thu Apr 18 2013 06:18 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Extracting a root is mathematically equivalent to raising the number to a fractional power (square root is the power of 1/2, cube root is the power of 1/3, etc.) so involution and evolution could both be described as raising the number to a specified power.

edited to clarify wording and fix typo

Edited by looney_tunes (Thu Apr 18 2013 09:37 PM)

#979198 - Thu Apr 18 2013 06:53 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

So you're saying that evolution = involution? To a non-math person at this level, they look like the opposite of each other. I'm sure many others would be happy if they used the actual dictionary definition when it becomes this technical. It's hard enough without reversing definitions to make it impossible.
I see it as taking the second half of the 'compare' entry under involution, word for word. This makes it a bad match, similar to my previous post.

#979230 - Thu Apr 18 2013 10:14 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Dictionary.com actually has the two terms defined in the reverse of what you posted, but that is not really the point. Neither of these is a term that a contemporary mathematician would use, because they imply a very narrow understanding of what is involved in the concept of raising a number to a power. Extracting a root is one type of exponentiation, using a fractional exponent with a numerator of 1 (taking a square root uses the power of 1/2). The exponent can also be an integer (what most people expect to see, as in squaring the number with an exponent of 2), or a fraction such as 2/3 or 17/4, which produces an effect not simply summarised by a generic term. And it can get far more complex!

#979233 - Thu Apr 18 2013 10:40 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Nope, I copied them straight from dictionary.com. Have you defended both answers now?

involution:
Compare evolution ... etc.
evolution:
Compare involution ... etc.

And what you are saying tells me that this is so complex that it should not appear in a WW game if a mathematician has trouble with it.

Edited by ssabreman (Fri Apr 19 2013 08:23 AM)

#979257 - Thu Apr 18 2013 11:44 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

When I looked at dictionary.com, I saw the following definitions (in the Collins Dictionary section - there are multiple definitions):

ev·o·lu·tion
5. (Mathematics) an algebraic operation in which the root of a number, expression, etc., is extracted Compare involution [6]
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/evolution

in·vo·lu·tion
6. (Mathematics) an algebraic operation in which a number, variable, expression etc., is raised to a specified power Compare evolution [5]
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/involution

I have no trouble with the definitions, but the terms are archaic, and the wording is misleading in its implications (not its essence) when read by a layman. One would only have used evolution to refer to the process of raising a number to a fractional exponent whose numerator is 1, also called extracting a root. One could have used involution to refer to ANY process of raising a number to a power, so fractions are included in that term, even though most people only think of integers when they visualise it.

A rectangle is a four-sided polygon with two pairs of parallel sides, and four right angles.
A square is a four-sided polygon with four sides of identical length and four right angles. Since it also has two pairs of parallel sides, it is a rectangle. Many people, however, only use the word rectangle to refer to an oblong, one with a length different from its width.

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares. Similarly, the mathematical process of evolution (as defined here) is a type of involution (as defined here).

#982595 - Sun May 05 2013 10:47 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
nizard Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: California USA
For the last month Word Wizard is no longer letting me collect letters, has anyone else had this problem and how to you resolve the problem. Thank you, Nizard

#982613 - Sun May 05 2013 11:46 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
The Mini-Game, i.e. where you collect letters, is a Gold member feature. Non-GMs can play the ordinary Word game but not that one. So is you were able to collect letters before you must have had Gold Membership for a while but presumably it has now expired.

#983308 - Fri May 10 2013 12:07 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Pick one:
1. Negotiable_instrument

a security pledged for the repayment of a loan

an unconditional order or promise to pay an amount of money

#983314 - Fri May 10 2013 01:42 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

I pick Door #2, an unconditional order or promise to pay an amount of money. A security is different from the promise - my house is the security for my housing loan.

#983358 - Fri May 10 2013 11:42 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
And I'd pick the other one because it's not "unconditional".

#983935 - Wed May 15 2013 09:45 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: habitsowner]
CmdrK Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Nevada USA
One from the current session:

3. Hit with the hand
Your answer: smite

smite means "inflict a heavy blow on, with the hand, a tool, or a weapon"

The correct answer was whomp

I'm thinking both words mean the same thing. :-/

#984101 - Thu May 16 2013 10:56 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
sportsherald Offline
Participant

Loc: Canada
I've seen this one several times, and it's easy enough to pick the "right" answer, but as I understand it, it has the before and after reversed:

ground zero

a young child
a man who has never been married
the site of the world trade center before it was destroyed
an entrance to an amphitheater or stadium
act of ascertaining or fixing the value or worth of
an act of deliberate betrayal

The World Trade Center was never called "Ground Zero" until AFTER it was destroyed...

#984122 - Thu May 16 2013 01:22 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
AlexxSchneider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Perth Scotland UK             
I think the 'before it was destroyed' refers to the WTC not being in existence anymore, rather than the WTC being called Ground Zero pre-9/11. It's hard to explain; I mean that it says

the site of 'the World Trade Center before it was destroyed'
rather than
the site of the World Trade Center, before [the WTC] was destroyed

i.e. the site of what used to be the WTC, but then that was destroyed. Sorry if this is unclear - I know what I mean, but it's difficult putting it down in writing!

#984184 - Thu May 16 2013 08:32 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: AlexxSchneider]
mdurnanj Offline
Participant

Loc: Florida USA
i.e., the site of the former World Trade Center

#984194 - Thu May 16 2013 10:26 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
mpkitty Offline
Participant

Loc: Spokane Washington USA       
Sometimes I wonder if a definition is a British expression, or spelling or just a misspelling. Since British and American spelling and terms are sometimes similar but different, perhaps both could be given. To me, the defs seem to be mostly British - is this true, or is it just me. One example is about the gas (petrol) tank, do you top off or tip off?

No big deal, but...

#984195 - Thu May 16 2013 10:57 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Here in Australia we top up. There are many varieties of English, the American-British differences are just the start. The Word Wizard game uses a database (not on this site) that seems to me to use primarily American terms, especially a lot of the less formal usages. Over time, you get used to all the not-quite-right definitions, and even the occasional ones that are downright wrong, since they are beyond the control of the site.

#984204 - Fri May 17 2013 12:26 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
rossian Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
We top up in the UK too - when we can afford to.

Page 45 of 53 < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 52 53 >

Moderator:  Terry