Rules
Terms of Use

Page 46 of 59 < 1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 58 59 >
Topic Options
#984226 - Fri May 17 2013 02:34 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
We do tip off at the start of a basketball game. I've never heard top off used other than in the phrase "to top it off", which means something like "The icing on the cake", the finishing touch.

#985703 - Sun May 26 2013 01:37 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
HoboKing Offline
Participant

Loc: South Carolina USA

A leader who stimulates and excites people to action.
I picked firebrand which is defined in one dictionary as "A person who is passionate about a particular cause, typically inciting change and taking radical action."

The correct answer according to the quiz was "galvanizer". I found the word "galvanize" defined "Shock or excite (someone), typically into taking action: "his voice galvanized them into action". Also "to subject to the action of an electric current especially for the purpose of stimulating physiologically." I'm thinking Luigi Galvani here. I like my choice of firebrand much better. I'm pretty lousy at this game relatively speaking. I take lots of quizzes on the site knowing I'm going to bomb. However none of them frustrates the you know what out of me like this game. I've had many other answers marked wrong that left me shaking my head, but didn't want to bother. I'm going to try to have 3 or 4 good games in a row and then retire from this game.

Edited by HoboKing (Wed May 29 2013 12:36 PM)

#985740 - Sun May 26 2013 06:58 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
HoboKing Offline
Participant

Loc: South Carolina USA
Batten 1
a : to grow fat
b : to feed gluttonously

I picked extreme gluttony for my answer. The definition accepted in the quiz was "a strip fixed to something to hold it firm." I admit that is probably the more commonly accepted version of the word but what can you do when faced with a situation like this? Very frustrating game indeed. Again I say I really don't mind taking my lumps, and I salute the many really good quizzers here. This game can be so frustrating.

#985784 - Sun May 26 2013 11:10 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ontario, Canada
15. Destroy or injure severely
Your answer: extirpate

Nope, even though extirpate means:
1. to remove or destroy completely

They like: cut up

#987149 - Fri Jun 07 2013 06:24 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Calpurnia09 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Adelaide South Australia      
I think that there is a spelling error in the original question. Perhaps it was meant to be canyon.

QUESTION:

11.Canon

a time unit used in industry for measuring work
a ravine formed by a river in an area with little rainfall
medieval plate armor to protect a horse's head
difficult or labored respiration
the trait of extreme cruelty
the property of strong in constitution

ANSWER:

11. Canon
Your answer: medieval plate armor to protect a horse's head

medieval plate armor to protect a horse's head is the definition for "chamfron"

The correct answer was a ravine formed by a river in an area with little rainfall

DEFINITION OF CANON:

can·on 1  (knn)
n.
1. An ecclesiastical law or code of laws established by a church council.
2. A secular law, rule, or code of law.
a. An established principle: the canons of polite society.
b. A basis for judgment; a standard or criterion.
4. The books of the Bible officially accepted as Holy Scripture.
a. A group of literary works that are generally accepted as representing a field: "the durable canon of American short fiction" (William Styron).
b. The works of a writer that have been accepted as authentic: the entire Shakespeare canon.
6. Canon The part of the Mass beginning after the Preface and Sanctus and ending just before the Lord's Prayer.
7. The calendar of saints accepted by the Roman Catholic Church.
8. Music A composition or passage in which a melody is imitated by one or more voices at fixed intervals of pitch and time.

#987156 - Fri Jun 07 2013 08:02 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
I think this has been mentioned before. The "canon" spelling is supposed to have an N with tilde (ñ) to represent the "ny" sound. I guess there has been a problem with the symbol appearing in the game (or indeed, in the original dictionary, as many people seem to just eliminate diacritics instead of providing an alternative spelling).

#987362 - Sun Jun 09 2013 06:19 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Calpurnia09 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Adelaide South Australia      
Thank you. I was unaware that it was the Spanish spelling. Perhaps it could be altered to English to avoid confusion.

#988101 - Thu Jun 13 2013 11:55 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Calpurnia09]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Quote:
1. A feeling of ill will arousing active hostility

Your answer: contempt

contempt means "open disrespect for a person or thing"

The correct answer was bad blood

I thought I had this one. Maybe it's the "active hostility" that contempt is missing? They seem fairly close in meaning to me, however.

Editor for Movies, Literature and For Children

#988484 - Fri Jun 14 2013 04:00 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: LadyCaitriona]
CmdrK Offline
Prolific

Loc: Nevada USA
From the 4:00 PM game:

3. An agent who sells insurance
Your answer: underwriter

None of the other possible answers were remotely close but this is technically incorrect. An underwriter does not sell insurance, he or she assesses risk and determines whether the company will insure an applicant.

Edited by CmdrK (Fri Jun 14 2013 04:00 PM)

#989747 - Thu Jun 20 2013 04:07 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
joecali Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Cali Colombia            
I try to use the word "geophone" in the minigame but isn't in the dictionary.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/GEOPHONE

#989768 - Thu Jun 20 2013 06:18 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

There are lots of words that you can find in other dictionaries but not in the one this game uses. Since it is not a Funtrivia dictionary or database, we players can only shrug our shoulders when that lovely word that used up all the awkward letters we are holding shows up as not being in the dictionary.

#991091 - Mon Jun 24 2013 05:51 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
HairyBear Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
Smooth and gracious in manner

Your answer: oleaginousness

oleaginousness means "consisting of or covered with oil"

The correct answer was blandness

I have seen oleaginous used to mean smooth and gracious, sometimes even as an insult (oily). I'm sure there's a dictionary that has the meaning for blandness associated here, but it isn't the commonly accepted one for someone who is bland. One or the other of these should go, preferably blandness.

The act of stripping and taking by force

Your answer: spoilation

Should be "spoliation," should it not?

#991187 - Tue Jun 25 2013 04:01 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
That's an interesting query.

Oleaginousness is an unpleasant version of smooth, I don't think I've ever noticed it being used as a particularly neutral or flattering description of someone's manner; whereas bland is the pleasant version of smooth, as is gracious.

Bland is like the word 'nice' in the way that fashionable cultural sensibilities have periodically relegated the trait to a negative, but the meaning is still the same, it's just that our culture doesn't value it at that time or in certain circumstances. When you talk about the commonly accepted meaning of bland, maybe you are talking about a cultural judgement on what is or is not desirable in a person or object of interest.

That's just my feeling anyway. I'd be interested to see what others feel.

Edited by Chavs (Tue Jun 25 2013 04:29 AM)

#994492 - Thu Jul 04 2013 08:46 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Chavs]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Has this one come up before?

12. Wildness

Your answer: rowdy behavior

rowdy behavior is the definition for "roughness"

The correct answer was a state of nature

Editor for Movies, Literature and For Children

#995013 - Sat Jul 06 2013 07:50 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
tatwood Offline
Participant

Loc: Western Massachusetts USA
1. A very powerful blow with the fist

Your answer: [b]knockout

knockout means "a very attractive or seductive looking woman"

The correct answer was smacker
BUT:http://www.thefreedictionary.com/knockout
knockout [&#712;n&#594;k&#716;a&#650;t]

n
1. the act of rendering unconscious
2. (Individual Sports & Recreations / Boxing) a blow that renders an opponent unconscious
3.a. a competition in which competitors are eliminated progressively
b. (as modifier) a knockout contest
4. (Group Games / Games, other than specified) a series of absurd invented games, esp obstacle races, involving physical effort or skill
5. Informal a person or thing that is overwhelmingly impressive or attractive she's a knockout
vb knock out (tr, adverb)
1. to render unconscious, esp by a blow
2. (Individual Sports & Recreations / Boxing) Boxing to defeat (an opponent) by a knockout
3. to destroy, damage, or injure badly
4. to eliminate, esp in a knockout competition

I WANT MY LOST POINTS BACK!!!
[size:20pt][/size]

#995028 - Sat Jul 06 2013 10:36 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

You have posted this in the thread for two games, but surely you only encountered it in one - the second time you would have remembered that the dictionary used in these games has that particular definition, and been on the lookout for it. Multiple postings of an issue serve no useful purpose, any more than does demanding your points back - they won't come. Like it or not, the game's decision is final.

#995249 - Sun Jul 07 2013 05:13 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
tatwood Offline
Participant

"You have posted this in the thread for two games..."
I don't know what you mean here. I have complained in the past (twice? three times?), but not about this particular absurdity. I don't see any "multiple postings". I *do* detect, however, a certain pleasure in scolding a frustrated FT player, and an interesting propensity for edicts. Middle-school teacher, perhaps? Je ne care pas, as we used to say to our middle-school French teacher, much to her enjoyment.
Consider me spanked, hopefully to *your* enjoyment.

#995250 - Sun Jul 07 2013 05:20 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: tatwood]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
You posted here, too.

And I am not sure that patronising staff is such a good idea.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#995251 - Sun Jul 07 2013 05:38 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
tatwood Offline
Participant

That posting was a mistake. So sorry. You say that ".. patronising staff" isn't "such a good idea", but you think that patronizing paying members is OK? Please explain.

#995253 - Sun Jul 07 2013 05:46 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: tatwood]
ozzz2002 Offline

Quote:
I don't see any "multiple postings".
I do, as just pointed out to you. I am sure others noticed it, too.

Quote:
I *do* detect, however, a certain pleasure in scolding a frustrated FT player, and an interesting propensity for edicts.
It was merely pointed out to you that a) there is nothing anyone can do about the small fault in the game, and b) that you had actually posted twice about it, in a very demanding manner.

Quote:
Middle-school teacher, perhaps? Je ne care pas, as we used to say to our middle-school French teacher, much to her enjoyment.
And you do not consider this as patronising?

#995263 - Sun Jul 07 2013 06:23 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
tatwood Offline
Participant

I apologized for the mistaken posting under 'Mind Melt' issues. What more can I do?

You have emphasized this mistake twice in your last post. Consider me duly castigated for that apparently egregious error.

You did not, however, respond to this: 'You say that ".. patronising staff" isn't such a good idea", but you think that patronizing paying members is OK? Please explain.'

Again, please explain. Patience required.

Edited by tatwood (Sun Jul 07 2013 06:27 PM)

#995264 - Sun Jul 07 2013 06:37 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ozzz2002 Offline

Nobody patronised you (or any other paying member) at all.

#995266 - Sun Jul 07 2013 06:58 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
tatwood Offline
Participant

Editor, Humanities, Literature and Books For Children:
"You have posted this in the thread for two games, but surely you only encountered it in one - the second time you would have remembered that the dictionary used in these games has that particular definition, and been on the lookout for it."

Editor, Hobbies and Geography, and Forum Moderator:
"Nobody patronised you...at all."

Really?

Editor, Hobbies and Geography, and Forum Moderator:
"And I am not sure that patronising staff is such a good idea."

What??

Threatening FT members for any reason is very poor judgement on an editor's part. I'm done - no more $ from me.

#995274 - Sun Jul 07 2013 08:20 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: tatwood]
mdurnanj Offline
Participant

Loc: Florida USA
I got that knockout/smacker pair in Mind Melt and guessed wrong. I think all we can do is smile and shrug. These close calls are part of the charm of the game.

Edited by mdurnanj (Sun Jul 07 2013 08:22 PM)

#997894 - Mon Jul 22 2013 05:13 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ITSOUNO11 Offline
Participant

Loc: Virgin Islands USA
How about this?

BRAIN:

the answer was 'kill by smashing someone's skull".

my answer was 'term for an attractive young woman', which was defined as 'wench'.

then:

SPIRITUALITY:

the definition was "property or income owned by a church".

the answers all made no sense, even the correct one, though the correct choice was the only one to mention a 'church'.

(Going to church every Sunday doesn't mean you are a good Christian, just as standing in your garage doesn't make you a car.)

Page 46 of 59 < 1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 58 59 >

Moderator:  Terry