Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 36 of 51 < 1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 50 51 >
Topic Options
#676672 - Fri Dec 30 2011 05:45 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: tatwood]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Originally Posted By: tatwood
I actually think that 'banch' was a misspelling on that website, as I could not find any other source to back it up.

It almost certainly is, but it's there in the external source this game uses, so you just have to recognise it when it surfaces.

#676673 - Fri Dec 30 2011 05:47 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: tatwood]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: tatwood
Another duplicitous question:

5 surety
decorate the surface of by inserting wood, stone, and metal
one who provides a warrant or guarantee to another
a senior clergyman and dignitary
large and often sumptuous tent
a speaker with an unusually laoud voice
a written promise to repay a debt

Correct answer was 'one who provides a warrant or guarantee to another'

I answered 'a written promise to repay a debt'

According to freedictionary.com,

surety [&#712;&#643;&#650;&#601;t&#618; &#712;&#643;&#650;&#601;r&#618;t&#618;]
n pl -ties
1. (Law) a person who assumes legal responsibility for the fulfillment of another's debt or obligation and himself becomes liable if the other defaults.'

The definition you supply supports the game - it says that the term refers to a person, not to a written statement. I probably would have made your response, though.

#676704 - Fri Dec 30 2011 07:02 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
There's that darn laoud again.

#678518 - Thu Jan 05 2012 12:49 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

To me a demon is a noncorporeal entity while a bogey is a person in an airplane or such attacking from some angle. How can a person be inhuman (human is the definition of person)? Did they mean inhumane?

14 demon
a cruel wicked and inhuman person
a carriage for hire
a sum total of many heterogenous things taken together
an evil spirit
take one's time
the power to foresee the future

answer:
Demon
Your answer: an evil spirit
an evil spirit is the definition for "bogey"
The correct answer was a cruel wicked and inhuman person

PS (from Wikipedia result of Daemon input) Daemon, dæmon, or demon may refer to:
Demon, a supernatural being who is generally described as a malevolent spirit

PPS: ... cruel(comma) wicked ...

#678526 - Thu Jan 05 2012 01:47 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
"Inhuman" can mean "cruel and unfeeling" as well as "non-human", so a human can certainly be "inhuman" as well as "inhumane". However, I would say that "an evil spirit" goes just as well with "demon", and the two options shouldn't be in the same set.

#681514 - Mon Jan 16 2012 09:49 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
tatwood Offline
Participant

Loc: Western Massachusetts USA
My original post came through as gibberish. This is what I had included from freedictionary.com:

4.surety - one who provides a warrant or guarantee to another
guarantor, warranter, warrantor
sponsor, supporter, patron - someone who supports or champions something
5.surety - a guarantee that an obligation will be met
security
guarantee, warranty, warrantee, warrant - a written assurance that some product or service will be provided or will meet certain specifications

So, it seems that a 'surety' can either be a person or entity that provides a guarantee, or a written assurance of a guarantee. That's duplicitous to me ;>)

Edited by tatwood (Mon Jan 16 2012 09:49 AM)

#681880 - Tue Jan 17 2012 02:22 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: tatwood]
highfells Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Gerrard's Ghyll Cumbria UK
Well, you can call me fuddy-duddy, old fashioned, over sensitive or prudish, but I really think that words like "sodomize" and its definition ("copulate with an animal") should not be included in Word Wizard.

Can it be removed, please?

#682026 - Wed Jan 18 2012 02:23 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: highfells]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I don't think you're prudish, and I don't like this one or the many drug related ones. I'm glad I don't know the street names for various drugs. I don't think the dictionary is under Fun Trivia's control, though, so I doubt anything can be done.

#682077 - Wed Jan 18 2012 07:16 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: rossian]
highfells Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Gerrard's Ghyll Cumbria UK
Thanks for the support, rossian - I would also like to see the street drugs references removed.

If you look back at the first page of this thread, Terry does ask that offensive/inappropriate words and definitions continue to be reported. It looks like they have to be pruned manually.

#682136 - Wed Jan 18 2012 11:33 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: highfells]
Newbie1M
No longer registered

I would like to see the derogatory definition of "pansy" removed.

Also, I just had

13. Utter with vibrating vocal chords
Your answer: shriek

shriek means "sharp piercing cry"

The correct answer was sound.

Do you think this is a correct definition?

#682151 - Wed Jan 18 2012 12:21 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

The verb 'to sound' is used in describing speech to describe normal speech as opposed to whispering, which is defined in the database used for this game as 'utter with tensed vocal chords'. It's an uncommon, but perfectly correct, usage.

#682161 - Wed Jan 18 2012 01:33 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
Newbie1M
No longer registered

OK - thanks. Sorry to sound off about it.

#682892 - Fri Jan 20 2012 07:08 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Quote:
6. Cause a disturbance

Your answer: disturb

disturb means "change the arrangement or position of"

The correct answer was rumpus

Heads you win, tails I lose. frown

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#684810 - Sat Jan 28 2012 02:29 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ozzz2002]
twosleepy Offline
Explorer

Loc: Mendon New York USA           
Here is an error that needs to be corrected:

short ribs
1. love of or taste for fine objects of art
2. give encouragement to
3. rib ends between the rib road and the plate
4. insensibility resulting from cold
5. obtain through intimidation
6. a small hole made by a sharp object

The answer is 3, but it should read "rib ends between the rib ROAST and the plate"

#686287 - Thu Feb 02 2012 07:29 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: twosleepy]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
Grrr! I just got tripped up on informal usage:

14. A very pretty girl who works as a photographer's model
Your answer: clinker

clinker means "a hard brick used as a paving stone"

The correct answer was pin-up

Yeah okay, I should have scanned ALL the possible answers before clicking, but where I come from "she's a real clinker" is synonymous with "A very pretty girl ..."

Ah well! whistle

#687557 - Mon Feb 06 2012 01:31 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
odo5435 Offline
Participant

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
I just played the game at 1:20AM CST and got the following question:

14. A week chirping sound as of a small bird

The answer was, of course, tweet, but, if a quiz about words can't get the spelling of questions right, it makes you wonder about the answers.

#687576 - Mon Feb 06 2012 02:38 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: odo5435]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

You must remember that these questions do not come from FunTrivia, but from an external database which has many inaccuracies in it, as has been noted here. As I understand it, the external source cannot be edited, all that might be done is to filter out entries that are noted as incorrect. But there are so many of them (I haven't even bothered to post a lot of not-quite-accurate definitions that have arisen, as long as you can still work out what the match has to be) that the game might almost disappear should all the dodgy entries be removed.

#687622 - Mon Feb 06 2012 10:08 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
odo5435 Offline
Participant

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
Originally Posted By: looney_tunes
...these questions do not come from FunTrivia, but from an external database which has many inaccuracies in it [and] the external source cannot be edited, all that might be done is to filter out entries that are noted as incorrect. But there are so many of them...
(emphasis added)

Like you, and apart from the many reported here, I've also come across a quite a few inaccuracies that I've not previously bothered to report; for much the same reasons as you.

To be frank though, if the database is so flawed and it can't be corrected (as has been noted in several previous posts), should it be being used? There seems to be so much contention over the definitions and interpretations in this game that, perhaps, it might not be such a bad idea to abandon it completely until something better can be found.

At the very least, there should be some provision for correction of the many errors that obviously exist. Why bother having this forum thread at all? Does it serve any purpose?

#687714 - Mon Feb 06 2012 04:34 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: odo5435]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
I think the thread is in place in case we are able to edit the items in the future. For all its faults, the game is still a lot of fun to play for many on the site, which is why I think it still exists, warts and all. I for one would be sorry to see it go.

#687715 - Mon Feb 06 2012 04:35 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: odo5435]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

What's the ANSWER?

42, of course!

#687719 - Mon Feb 06 2012 04:42 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Originally Posted By: mehaul
What's the ANSWER?

42, of course!

I guess I missed the question????

#687722 - Mon Feb 06 2012 05:13 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
I used to love the quiz, but now, although I still play it daily, it's become annoying and there's a good chance I'll spend that time playing other things, or...doing things elsewhere. And, it's all because of the incorrect answers as well as spelling and grammar errors.

#687782 - Tue Feb 07 2012 12:39 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: habitsowner]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

That's why I originally got tired of it, but now that I am sucked into gathering letters for the mini-game, I try to ignore the small irritations. If and when I ever get a twelve-letter word, I might relapse into apathy.

#687841 - Tue Feb 07 2012 06:16 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Isn't part of the fun in this game the searching for errors? I thought the Wizard hid them for us to find. Then we report them here for all the gold we can scrape off our monitor glass.

#690223 - Tue Feb 14 2012 01:39 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Windswept]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Missing letter here

2. The quality of being slow to understand
Your answer: dulness

UN IPCC

Page 36 of 51 < 1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 50 51 >

Moderator:  Terry