Page 11 of 17 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#642616 - Sat Jul 23 2011 06:05 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Harrynj]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
This entry is bound to become stale.

"Australian politician; current Minister for Climate Change, Energy Efficiency & Water
Your answer: Penny Wong".

The word "current" will not be correct in some years.

#642617 - Sat Jul 23 2011 06:16 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
The way the government is going, there is a fair chance that it will not even be relevant by Christmas. smile

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#642812 - Sun Jul 24 2011 02:43 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: ozzz2002]
Barbiegurl676 Offline
Participant

Loc: Iowa, USA
Today I came across Eric Cantona - the answer was that he is "French controversial footballer", but it should also have actor in his description, as that seems to be his current career choice. He's not just an extra, either, but has "stared" in a few roles, or at least received some of the top billing.

#643089 - Mon Jul 25 2011 12:55 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Barbiegurl676]
George95 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ontario Canada
Chinese NBA Basketball player

Yao Ming

Ming retired from the NBA on July 20, 2011.

#644710 - Wed Aug 03 2011 01:57 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: George95]
AlOPeesha Offline
Participant

Loc: Slough of Despond London UK   

Today's 'Who Am I' quiz, Weds 3rd August 2011.

13 English former footballer

Bobby Charlton
Jean Renoir
Johannes Brahms
Phil Neal
Georges Simenon
Joseph Pulitzer

Bobby Charlton is an English former footballer, as is Phil Neal.

Bobby Charlton was not the correct answer. I am just wondering when he stopped being and English former footballer.

#644736 - Wed Aug 03 2011 03:02 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: triviapaul]
klinski_1987 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Wisconsin USA
13. English former footballer

Your answer: Bobby Charlton

Bobby Charlton was: England team player; football superstar

The correct answer was Phil Neal

Bobby Charlton = (England team player; football superstar)
Jean Renoir = (French film director; actor; author; 'Grand Illusion' & 'The Rules of the Game')
Johannes Brahms = (German composer; friend of Schumann; known for his 'Lullaby')
Phil Neal = (English former footballer)
Georges Simenon = (Belgian novelist; created detective Maigret)
Joseph Pulitzer = (Hungarian-American publisher; noted for his Prizes)

Bobby Charlton retired from the English team in 1970, making him a former English footballer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Charlton

#644737 - Wed Aug 03 2011 03:03 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: klinski_1987]
klinski_1987 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Sorry! Apparently I can't read. Good call AlPeesha.

#646592 - Thu Aug 11 2011 11:29 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: klinski_1987]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
13. English stage, film, radio & TV actor; writer; humorist; dramatist
Your answer: Charles Blondin

The correct answer was Peter Ustinov

I have some doubt about the word "English" in the description. Shouldn't it mention that he was of mixed descent (Russian, German and Ethiopian, according to Wikipedia)?

#646607 - Thu Aug 11 2011 11:53 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
Why should it? Peter was born in England and was an English citizen. Pretty much everyone has mixed descent, so why should it be mentioned in this case? Because of his name? He was English.

#646610 - Thu Aug 11 2011 12:00 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: JanIQ
This entry is bound to become stale.

"Australian politician; current Minister for Climate Change, Energy Efficiency & Water
Your answer: Penny Wong".

The word "current" will not be correct in some years.

It's already stale. Penny Wong became Minister for Finance and Deregulation after the August 2010 election. Perhaps a better answer would be "Australian senator" or similar. smile

#648071 - Thu Aug 18 2011 06:58 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Tizzabelle]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
Meredith Grey

Your answer: Fictional character; female surgeon on TVs 'Grey's Anatomy' played by Ellen Pompeo

The general description of the quiz refers to 'famous people'. Is a fictional character in a not particularly well known (worldwide) TV series a 'famous person'? I'm sure the process of elimination used by most people will ensure that this gets a high percentage correct, but I think I'd rather have Australian Beach Volleyball players than fictional TV characters (please don't take me up on that). Just a thought, but would the actress Ellen Pompeo qualify for inclusion in her own right?

#649498 - Wed Aug 24 2011 03:16 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: dippo]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Kenneth Grahame

British author; 'The Wind in the Willows'

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say he's a "Scottish author" given that he was born in Edinburgh, Scotland? I understand they both part of Great Britain, but I've seen many others referred to as "Scottish" not "British".

Thanks!

#649512 - Wed Aug 24 2011 03:52 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: pyonir]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Oh please, leave my country alone!

#649522 - Wed Aug 24 2011 04:33 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

What flopsymopsy would like is 15 questions in her set with Johnny Wilkinson as the answer! 1) JW: Fair to middling English rugby player. 2) JW: Blonde English rugby player 3) JW: Rugby player born in Frimley, 1979 4) JW: English fly half or centre. 5) English rugby player who can kick a bit.. etc etc etc wink Can anyone arrange that? laugh

#649530 - Wed Aug 24 2011 04:51 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Tizzabelle]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

14) JW: Kicked drop goal in last minute of extra time to beat Australia in Australia
15) JW: Responsible for frozen look on Australian Prime Minister's face as he was forced to present the World Cup to a load of Poms!

#649543 - Wed Aug 24 2011 05:41 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
This really isn't the thread for a rugby discussion!

#649550 - Wed Aug 24 2011 06:16 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: spanishliz]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Sorry spanishliz frown We have already taken the banter into PM as we thought it might not be the right time and place for it here! smile

#649554 - Wed Aug 24 2011 06:24 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Tizzabelle]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

It took my mind off the very serious issues I have with the arbitrary way Who Am I? treats the matter of my country's legal status and what makes people one nationality or another. I may be a lone voice crying in the wilderness but my country is still the United Kingdom and I am still British. As was Kenneth Grahame.

#649559 - Wed Aug 24 2011 06:47 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
The the rest of the Scottish Who Am I answers should be corrected to all say British as well then. If all of them were labeled as British, I wouldn't have mentioned it. Consistency is all I ask.

In the US, even though Puerto Rico is a territory of the US we don't call them Americans, they are referred to as Puerto Ricans. Sheesh, I wouldn't have said anything at all if I knew it was such a huge deal. Sorry.

#649564 - Wed Aug 24 2011 07:04 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: pyonir]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

No, you're right to ask for consistency - I wouldn't mind quite so much if it was consistent but it's not. People who are Scots may get called that but English people mostly get called British. Or worse, Irish or Irish-born or Indian-born... It is complicated, quite often because of our Imperial past. We staffed our Empire with soldiers, civil servants, teachers, engineers, etc. but sending those people to India or Australia or Ireland didn't necessarily give them that nationality - maybe it did if they chose to live there after their contracts ran out but mostly it didn't. And it didn't give their children another nationality either, even if they were born overseas. I saw Rudyard Kipling described on FT recently as Indian... eh? There are many entries in WAI describing people as Irish when in fact they were often Anglo-Irish and sometimes plain English or Scots or Welsh... and in the same way I've seen Germans born in pre-war Czechoslovakia described as Czech when in fact they would never have called themselves that in a million years. It's not consistent and it clearly bugs me, lol.

#649574 - Wed Aug 24 2011 08:10 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Any WAI entry that refers to actual place of birth is fine with me. If they were born in Glasgow, then I'm thinking Scotland, despite anyone else's politics, personal or historical definitions of boundaries, or where that person actually lived for the majority of their life.

I (naively) think that someday, if humans hope to survive as a race, countries won't matter at all.

#649579 - Wed Aug 24 2011 10:36 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Jakeroo]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
The day will come when we all bow down to Zardoz!
Click to reveal..
Fictional British God - how does that get demographed? Pseudo-Anglo Deity?

#649594 - Thu Aug 25 2011 02:58 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Jakeroo]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
Any WAI entry that refers to actual place of birth is fine with me. If they were born in Glasgow, then I'm thinking Scotland, despite anyone else's politics, personal or historical definitions of boundaries, or where that person actually lived for the majority of their life.

It's one thing to add the place of birth but not to assign nationality because of it. I refuse to say that Kipling was Indian no matter where he was born. Nor will I say that my sister is Maltese because of where my parents were stationed at the time of her birth or that her youngest children are Kenyan. Place of birth doesn't necessarily determine nationality.

Anyway, a night's sleep has removed (some of) my tetchiness on the subject smile but like Pyonir I would like some consistency.

#649604 - Thu Aug 25 2011 05:45 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
lol Flopsy, I wasn't aware I had disagreed with you.

#649612 - Thu Aug 25 2011 06:34 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Jakeroo]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

No, well, maybe you didn't. wink

Page 11 of 17 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16 17 >

Moderator:  Terry