Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 13 of 17 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >
Topic Options
#664810 - Tue Nov 01 2011 11:47 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: AlexxSchneider]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mesa AZ
British-American stage, film & TV actor; 'Frida' & 'Spiderman 2'

Alfred Molina

typo - Spider-Man 2

#668224 - Tue Nov 15 2011 02:00 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
No need to incriminate the whole country. None of us are perfect but this goes too far:

3. German film actress; singer; writer; 'The Murderers are among US'

Your answer: Hildegard Knef

It should be Us not US.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Nov 16 2011 05:14 PM)

#668235 - Tue Nov 15 2011 02:38 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton EnglandUK
Oh I don't know... I've done the Expert category on Serial Killers many times and many of the Murderers are among you! wink

#668249 - Tue Nov 15 2011 02:48 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: NewYorkUSA
Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
Oh I don't know... I've done the Expert category on Serial Killers many times and many of the Murderers are among you! wink

True, but at least we have the good manners to catch most of them, rather than letting them continue to run amok like Jack the Ripper!

#668275 - Tue Nov 15 2011 03:46 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: bubblesfun]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Nothing the matter with a good amok. wink

#668282 - Tue Nov 15 2011 04:11 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK
And Jack the Ripper hasn't killed anyone for at least a couple of years.

#668300 - Tue Nov 15 2011 05:27 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: rossian]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Will someone check Flopsymopsy's passport for visits to the USA and coincidence to reported instances of amok behavior (sorry, behaviour)??

#668303 - Tue Nov 15 2011 05:40 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Amok is a male phenomenon so it wasn't me! Although if you were to look at my passport photo that might be anyone... anyway that's my excuse for the funny looks I get from US Immigration. wink

#668304 - Tue Nov 15 2011 06:05 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Jogging amok is considered the same as running amok in the US. It is practiced by many women at events they call sales.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Nov 15 2011 06:06 PM)

#668463 - Wed Nov 16 2011 12:20 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

While shopping I prefer running with my arms akimbo. It clears a better path than running amok.

#669491 - Sun Nov 20 2011 06:43 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville GeorgiaUSA
In today's set, I was given the Count of Porto Alegre, which is actually a position or rank and not a person's name. I think the correct name should have been Manuel Marques de Sousa, based on the answer of Brazilian 19th Century Military Officer.

#671622 - Mon Dec 05 2011 09:30 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
Australian former (24th) Prime Minster
Your answer: Paul Keating

Minster should be Minister

#674228 - Mon Dec 19 2011 08:51 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Buddy1]
highfells Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Gerrard's Ghyll CumbriaUK
Victor Herbert = (Irish-born German-raised American composer; conductor; cellist; a founder of ASCAP; 'Babes in Toylan)

Is there a bit missing at the end of this one?

#676822 - Sat Dec 31 2011 01:43 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: highfells]
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Loc: Grayslake
IllinoisUSA
I've only had limited time on FunTrivia for some time. I'm getting back to things I've let slide. Corrections have been made to entries noted here. I still have some changes to make that were PMd to me.

I've resumed collecting new entries for WAI. I have several hundred so far. I'm shooting for at least 700+ to get the database up to 10,000. If you have entries that you would like to see in the game send me a list of names. Descriptions are not necessary.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Happy WAI Correction Trivia!
Immortal #4, #8, #15, #18, #6, #6, #5, #5, #4, #7, #4, #12, #15, #48, #26, #19, #__, #__, #16 (GC2-20)
Who Am I? Editor since June 17, 2008 - June 30, 2013

#676989 - Sun Jan 01 2012 07:06 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Welcome back, Jmelston. We appreciate the work you've done to improve this game.

Happy new year !

#677013 - Sun Jan 01 2012 12:07 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

'E Could Hear Others expressing the same sentiment

#677037 - Sun Jan 01 2012 01:55 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: mehaul
'E Could Hear Others expressing the same sentiment

what mehaul said...
what mehaul said...

wink

#678344 - Wed Jan 04 2012 05:34 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

C. S. Lewis
Irish author of the 'Chronicles of Narnia'

You want to start the Troubles all over again? Jack Lewis was born in Belfast in 1898... I have a horrid feeling that the rumbling I can hear is him turning in his grave at the thought of being called "Irish".

Edited to correct typo.

Edited by flopsymopsy (Wed Jan 04 2012 06:33 PM)

#678519 - Thu Jan 05 2012 12:52 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I don't get it, Flopsy... He was born in Ireland. Doesn't that make him Irish? Whether he wants to be Irish or not?

#678521 - Thu Jan 05 2012 01:26 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: salami_swami]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

He was born in Northern Ireland and in 1898... at that time the whole of Ireland was part of the United Kingdom, and a lot of people who lived there had settled there one or two generations previously, coming from other parts of the UK. And sometimes they hadn't really settled, they were there as part of the administration and left again when their job was done. It's quite possible that C S Lewis's family simply referred to themselves as British although quite often, but not always, people like that were called Anglo-Irish; they certainly weren't called Irish. There was a lot of snobbery around at the time, and social and religious divisions made it all very complicated, but as a general rule calling someone whose family was British or Anglo-Irish "Irish" would have been regarded, rightly or wrongly, as an insult. On top of that Lewis's family were Protestant, and they would have regarded being called "Irish" doubly insulting. I am by no means saying their attitudes were right, but C S Lewis would have been part of that group, that immigrant (some would say colonising) socio-economic class with all its religious overtones, and to call him "Irish" is simply not correct. I've said this before - being born during the 19th Century in what the 21st Century calls country X doesn't mean the person had the nationality which is now associated with that parcel of land; even now, if you call some people from Belfast "Irish" they'll smack you in the mouth, assuming they don't shoot you first. Northern Irish and Irish are not necessarily the same, Anglo-Irish and Irish are not the same, and Northern Irish/British is a whole different can of worms. wink

#678522 - Thu Jan 05 2012 01:33 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Head spinning, but I understand now.

#678524 - Thu Jan 05 2012 01:38 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: salami_swami]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

I am pretty sure from everything I have read that C.S. Lewis was self-proclaimed Irish. Just one quote from him talking about meeting up with his friend and fellow Irishman: "Like all Irish people who meet in England we ended by criticisms on the invincible flippancy and dulness of the Anglo-Saxon race. After all, there is no doubt that the Irish are the only people: with all their faults I would not gladly live or die among another folk." Seems pretty straightforward to me.

#678525 - Thu Jan 05 2012 01:41 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: bubblesfun]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

For the record, that is from The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis: Family letters, 1905-1931 By Clive Staples Lewis and Walter Hooper. A great read if one is so inclined.

#678530 - Thu Jan 05 2012 02:09 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: bubblesfun]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Thanks for posting, bubblefun. I know quite a few people born in Northern Ireland who do consider themselves Irish, even from 3 generations ago. I wanted to find some evidence of what Lewis considered himself to be, and you saved me from having to research it.

Edited by shuehorn (Thu Jan 05 2012 02:09 PM)

#678532 - Thu Jan 05 2012 02:13 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: shuehorn
Thanks for posting, bubblefun. I know quite a few people born in Northern Ireland who do consider themselves Irish, even from 3 generations ago. I wanted to find some evidence of what Lewis considered himself to be, and you saved me from having to research it.

Here is one more quote to save you research, lol. This is Lewis talking about his admiration for Yeats: "I am often surprised to find how utterly ignored Yeats is among the men I have met: perhaps his appeal is purely Irish if so, then thank the gods that I am Irish."

Page 13 of 17 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >

Moderator:  Terry