Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#514572 - Thu Feb 25 2010 04:51 PM What's your favourite word?
Tizzabelle Offline
Prolific

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
Copago's post about "aitch" and haitch" reminded me of words that irritate me and words that I love. My favourite word of all time is probably "autumnal". I don't know why I love it but I'm not the only person I know who loves "autumnal".

I love "curmudgeon" too. I don't love curmudgeons, just the word. It makes me smile!

So.. what are your favourite words? Or am I weird in having favourite words?

#514573 - Thu Feb 25 2010 05:24 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Tizzabelle]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
What a neat topic! I've always thought the word "megalomaniacal" was cool. I also like the word "benevolent". If you're weird in having favorite words, then so am I.

#514574 - Thu Feb 25 2010 05:26 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Tizzabelle]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
"Adaminaby" (a town in NSW) is one of my favourite words - if I ever retire I just may consider moving there just so I can say it more often. I love words with lots of syllables and sound kind of rythmic.

A word I don't like is 'slaughter'. It just sounds like it means especially when said with a hard 'g'.

#514575 - Thu Feb 25 2010 06:04 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Copago]
Sinned2471 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Jersey City New Jersey USA
I've always liked the word "imperial" and dislike the word "goggles"

#514576 - Fri Feb 26 2010 01:15 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Sinned2471]
Tizzabelle Offline
Prolific

Oh Copago! Adaminaby is a great place name That reminds me of when an English family I know was driving up the NSW coast for the first time. They saw the road sign for "Bulahdelah" and having no idea how to pronounce it said "Oh that sounds posh doesn't it? Bew-la-dee-dah." So they and I have called it Bewladeedah ever since For those that don't know Bulahdelah, it's pronounced Bull-a-dee-lah.

#514577 - Sat Feb 27 2010 05:53 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Tizzabelle]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
I like egregious and paradigm, but that's maybe because I've only added them to my vocab in the past few years.

I also like the word custard ... or maybe it's just the taste, so difficult to know.

#514578 - Sat Feb 27 2010 07:43 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: dsimpy]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Popacatapetl. The tl at the end is so economical!
I hate "misled", as I read it as
"mizzled" as a child and was laughed at.

Edited by ren33 (Sat Feb 27 2010 07:45 AM)

#514579 - Sat Feb 27 2010 08:07 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: ren33]
Mink Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Devon UK
Horripilation and serendipity are two of my favourites

#514580 - Sat Feb 27 2010 09:08 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Mink]
Tizzabelle Offline
Prolific

Hi Mink, serendipity is a favourite word of a good friend of mine too :-) Poor ren33. That story about "misled" is a very cute and understandable error for a child to make. I still remember a classmate in high school reading a passage aloud. He pronounced the word "sword" with the 'w'. We couldn't stop ourselves giggling. My nephew was about 3 years old and loved the Toyota commercials. He'd run around the house singing "Oh what a feeling.. Yoy-tota!" We still giggle about that one even though he's 19 now.

#514581 - Sat Feb 27 2010 12:09 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: ren33]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
Quote:

I read it as "mizzled" as a child

Didn't everyone? I remember my family deliberately pronouncing it like that. We were easily amused.

When the nearest letter-box was moved from the main road to a side turning, there was a note about why it had been re-sited. My son wanted to know why it had been rezz'itted.

When I was little I saw "fund" and pronounced it fyoond. I didn't get laughed at till I was 30 and mentioned the plover. I'd never heard anyone say it, so I said it with a long o, to rhyme with clover, and my colleague laughed. Apparently it's pronounced pluvva. Who'da thought it!

We got our own back - she was from the north of England.

Sublime is a nice word. So are limpid and languid - even if I don't know why.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#514582 - Sat Feb 27 2010 01:03 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Tizzabelle]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:

Oh Copago! Adaminaby is a great place name That reminds me of when an English family I know was driving up the NSW coast for the first time. They saw the road sign for "Bulahdelah" and having no idea how to pronounce it said "Oh that sounds posh doesn't it? Bew-la-dee-dah." So they and I have called it Bewladeedah ever since For those that don't know Bulahdelah, it's pronounced Bull-a-dee-lah.

LOL - that was the other one I had on my mind when I made my post There is also one near Dubbo called Buddabadah which is fun to say.

#514583 - Sat Feb 27 2010 05:40 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Copago]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Lindisfarne, oooh lovely!

#514584 - Sat Feb 27 2010 11:49 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: ren33]
Sinned2471 Offline
Forum Adept

As far as town names go, I've always liked Menominee Falls and Lake Placid.

#514585 - Mon Mar 01 2010 07:26 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: lesley153]
Kaye19 Offline
Participant

Loc: Northern Ireland UK
When one of my children was learning to read he amused us by asking what is a pig e on! (pigeon)

I love the word 'tracklements' - seldom heard nowadays- it means salt, pepper etc which you put on the table.

#514586 - Mon Mar 01 2010 08:13 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Kaye19]
Tizzabelle Offline
Prolific

I love "tracklements". I had to look it up and it's a made up word from the 1950s that made it into the OED. I am going to use that on Thursday. I'm having dinner at the pub with a mate who's a bit of a word nerd too. She'll love it.. once I've explained it to her ;-)

Anyone watch "To The Manor Born" with Penelope Keith? I love how she wished everyone Merry Christmas on her Xmas cards.. "Yuletide felicitations". I say that every Xmas to certain friends. ;-)

#514587 - Wed Mar 03 2010 02:06 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Tizzabelle]
Tobyone Offline
Participant

I love "slubberdegullion", it means a slobbering, dirty wretch. I've not (to date) had an opportunity to use it.

When I was little I thought "misled" was "myzled" and that "bedraggled" was "bed-raggled".

#514588 - Wed Mar 03 2010 05:45 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Tobyone]
Sinned2471 Offline
Forum Adept

Quote:

I love "slubberdegullion", it means a slobbering, dirty wretch. I've not (to date) had an opportunity to use it.

When I was little I thought "misled" was "myzled" and that "bedraggled" was "bed-raggled".

Wait until you meet an American politician.

#514589 - Thu Mar 04 2010 12:17 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Sinned2471]
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
I've always been rather fond of "onomatopoeia" for some reason.
And I intensely dislike "moist". Couldn't tell you why. I just feel... icky saying it.

#514590 - Tue Mar 09 2010 11:37 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Taesma]
quogequox Offline
Prolific

Loc: Adelaide SA Australia      
I'm fond of "lackadaisical" because it appeared on three seperate report cards, which must be some kind of a record...or a conspiracy and
"nevertheless" just cos I like it.

#514591 - Wed Mar 10 2010 05:20 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: quogequox]
triviapaul Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Delft<br>The Netherlands
In English I like those posh compound words like 'notwithstanding' and 'whereupon'. Also the slightly oldfashioned words like 'whence' and 'hitherto'.
In Spanish for example 'ronronear' and 'tataratataranieta'

#514592 - Wed Mar 10 2010 06:19 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: triviapaul]
Jennings Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Surrey
England UK
Oojamaflip, meaning whatsit, thingy etc.

#514593 - Wed Mar 10 2010 11:11 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Jennings]
Tizzabelle Offline
Prolific

There are some ripper words in here :-) I like the idea of onomatopeeea.. onomotapoeaiesa.. onamtoppeias ... I just wish I could spell it without such distress to my brain ;-) I can't wait to use "slubberdegullion" somewhere, somehow. Triviapaul, if you like compound words try a little north of you in Finland. They see no need to keep a space when adding words together. So many words seem incredibly long, especially when travelling along a road at speed and you're trying to read a road sign. I can't complain though. It's my first language but I've lost a lot of it now. It doesn't help me when I try to read it. ;-)

#514594 - Thu Mar 11 2010 04:34 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Tizzabelle]
triviapaul Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Delft<br>The Netherlands
Ahhhh yes, Finnish, the language that gave us entokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas. Got to love agglutinative languages. Finnish has fifteen noun cases. That is superb trivia.

#514595 - Fri Mar 12 2010 07:04 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Tizzabelle]
tnrees Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Taunton Somerset UK       
On mispronunciations - I was in a car & saw the 1st 2 letters of a street name -when I saw it all I knew it was not Onion street but it took me ages to work out it was Union street.

#514596 - Fri Mar 12 2010 11:36 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: tnrees]
Tizzabelle Offline
Prolific

Hey Triviapaul, that Finnish word has something to do with aeroplane engine mechanics working on turbo motors. That much I can work out but I think it should be lentokone... I think, from my memory of Finnish. 15 noun cases? Love it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  bloomsby