Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#514597 - Sun Mar 14 2010 01:39 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Tizzabelle]
triviapaul Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Delft<br>The Netherlands
You are right, it's not like I knew what I was doing when I copy-pasted it
Check out this fantastic site for Finnish tongue twisters.

http://www.alphadictionary.com/fun/tongue-twisters/finnish_tongue_twisters.html

Lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas
Airplane jet turbine engine auxiliary mechanic non-commissioned officer student
The longest Finnish word but an actual military term in the Air Force.

Kokko, kokkoo kokkoo koko kokko! - Koko kokkoko? - Koko kokko. Kokkookko? (Savo dialect)
Kokko (a surname), gather up the whole bonfire! - The entire bonfire? - The entire bonfire. Now will you gather it up?

#514598 - Sun Mar 14 2010 01:58 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Tizzabelle]
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Western Australia
On the mispronunciations, the place I had trouble with was the American state Arkansas - I knew Kansas was pronounced as it was spelt, so why the difference ?
Favourite words - serendipity & happenstance.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

#514599 - Wed Mar 17 2010 10:50 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: tezza1551]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
Thanks for the link triviapaul! I'm not sure I'm ever going to be able to say any of them without a lot of practice. I suppose I should brush up on my Finnish now I have dual citizenship as of last week!

#514600 - Wed Mar 17 2010 03:04 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Tizzabelle]
tjoebigham Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Fairhaven Massachusetts USA   
I've got a thing about unusual words, such as tchotchke, omadhaun, daedal, synergy, bouleversement, et al.

A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you thought of. Burt Bacharach

tjoeb};>

#514601 - Thu Mar 18 2010 07:32 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: tjoebigham]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
I love 'oxymoron' it makes me smile. Then there are a lot of towns in Namivia that have great names - Otjiwarongo, Gobabis, Okahandja, Tsumeb,Okakararawhich, to name a few.
I hate the word 'learner' - why can't it just be student?

#514602 - Mon Mar 22 2010 08:49 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: lady1]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Quote:

When I was little I thought "misled" was "myzled" and that "bedraggled" was "bed-raggled".

It isn't? I don't think I've ever heard bedraggled pronounced... what's it supposed to sound like?

On the theme of funny pronounciations, when my brother was younger, he asked me what an "otto-pissee" was... it was 'autopsy'.

#514603 - Tue Mar 23 2010 10:14 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: guitargoddess]
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
Bedraggled. I pronounce it beDRAGGled.

At about age eight I caused a minor sensation at school be confusing rumour and aroma. I think I'd written something about an *arumour. The teacher asked me what I meant and I replied by saying the word could mean 'the smell of tea or coffee' or 'a story going round'.

#514604 - Tue Mar 23 2010 12:18 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: bloomsby]
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
I'm not sure whether I ever misread misled, but I remember being momentarily nonplussed when I read in a school history book that our troops in the Crimean War were underfed. I interpreted it as un-derfed and wondered what on earth was involved in derfing a soldier.

#514605 - Thu Mar 25 2010 03:00 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: TabbyTom]
triviapaul Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Delft<br>The Netherlands
I just remembered I love "oodles"

#514606 - Thu Mar 25 2010 03:35 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: triviapaul]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
Oxymoron's a great word. A mate of mine calls them "poxymorons". I think we should all get together and work out a definition of derf. I'm sure it's a word in a language somewhere. As for a synonym being used because you can't spell the word you want, well I'm guilty of that ;-)

I have a new word for my favourites list. "Bumbershoot"! It's a 19th century American term for umbrella. I love the word brolly but bumbershoot has overtaken it temporarily. It's in a quiz I wrote coming soon so if you see it you'll know what it is

#514607 - Thu Mar 25 2010 08:49 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Tizzabelle]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Quote:

I interpreted it as un-derfed and wondered what on earth was involved in derfing a soldier.

#514608 - Fri Mar 26 2010 06:28 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Tizzabelle]
bluerodeo Offline
Participant

Loc: Greenfield Park Quebec Canada
Whisper. A fun thing to do in a woman's ear.Or vice versa.

#692406 - Tue Feb 21 2012 02:57 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: bluerodeo]
MikeMaster99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
Without resorting to Monty Python's' woody and tinny words as a criterion, I really like obfuscation - the sound of the word fits so nicely with the meaning (wilfully ambiguous).

#752157 - Sat Feb 25 2012 08:59 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: MikeMaster99]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Brouhaha is good. I like exponential because being a greedy guts the idea of things growing at a massive rate appeals.

#777613 - Sat Mar 10 2012 02:18 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: lady1]
sportsherald Offline
Participant

Loc: Canada
My mother grew up reading much more than her family and neighbours, became a school teacher and parent, and only discovered in her 50s (corrected by her helpful children) that "misled" WASN'T pronounced "mizzled." She'd have been comforted to know from this discussion that her error was so common!

I find it hard to choose one or two favourites from the tens of thousands of words available in just the English language, with new ones added every day. Peregrination does arbitrarily come to my mind, and hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia could apply to those who are afraid to finish long Finnish words.

#777615 - Sat Mar 10 2012 02:35 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: sportsherald]
sportsherald Offline
Participant

Loc: Canada
On the subject of "underfed," I just learned through Dictionary.com that a soldier would likely rather be derf than un-derf-ed:

Derf

Derf\, a. [Icel. djafr.] Strong; powerful; fierce. [Obs.] -- Derf"ly, adv. [Obs.] Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

#777874 - Sun Mar 11 2012 07:08 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: lady1]
coachpauly Offline
Participant

Loc: Hong Kong
I like the word "tinkle".... no idea why smile

#780890 - Thu Mar 22 2012 06:49 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: coachpauly]
rustic_les Offline
Participant

Loc: Ireland
Indubitably - especially when pronounced like an old-fashioned English gentleman. Much like one of the Vulgarian spies from the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

#786127 - Fri Apr 13 2012 05:25 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Tizzabelle]
rstone_123 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Asheville, NC
Hello, my name is Ralph,

I like the word curmudgeon. Why? You ask? This is what I have posted on a website I have:

I've come to the conclusion that I may possibly be a "Curmudgeon". Be honest now, if you didn't know what the term meant...what was the first thing that popped into your mind? My thought was some sort of an ocean crustacean. I should be rotten, and if the definition is foreign to you make you look it up. Being the nice guy that I am, I'll tell you for one reason only. The definition of the term will probably not be exactly the same as the one I'm about to give you, as the [archaic] rendering is: a crusty, ill-tempered, churlish old man. The [modern] definition is: anyone who hates hypocrisy and pretense and has the temerity to say so; anyone with the habit of pointing out unpleasant facts in an engaging and humorous manner. (That does not give you license to judge, demean, nor treat people with anything less than respect, honor, and dignity. I don't give a rats butt who they are or what they do. Try viewing their actions and behavior from their perspective instead of yours. Try and gain some understanding of that individual, and whether you like or dislike what you think you see...love them always. Lord knows we need to clean up our own doorsteps first...then go in for the kill:).

Another word I'm fond of is 'compassion'. I think we all need it and need to show it.

Ralph

Edited by bloomsby (Sun Sep 16 2012 06:48 AM)

#823811 - Sat Sep 15 2012 10:02 AM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: lady1]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I have a few because they make me laugh when I hear them [someone I know mispronounced them]: coup, debris, paradigm, lineage, indigenous [all those words but one were from when I was in anthropology class, and the person who pronounced them wrong was the one reading my textbooks]

I like the word “inconceivable” because every time I see or hear it I’m reminded of the most common dictionary definition: “not conceivable”) [I cracked up when I saw that].

When I first saw the place names “Nova Scotia” and “Saudi Arabia” written, I didn’t pronounce them right. To this day, my mother and I still laugh about that (and I was definetly old enough to know better with “Saudi Arabia”)

Mom’s ex-boyfriend’s daughter used to say “walermelon” instead of “watermelon.” She could say “watermelon,” but for whatever reason whenever she was talking fast it didn’t come out right. [Her brother, incidentally, said “Lebadon” instead of “Lebanon.”]

Place names I like would have to be Trout Run and Wyamissing.

Someone I know doesn't pronounce the r in California, and it's not the local accent, so it makes me laugh [she grew up here and has never beenout of the state].

I forgot all about happenstance. Don’t see or hear it much.

#823928 - Sat Sep 15 2012 12:00 PM Re: What's your favourite word? [Re: Jazmee27]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Lollygagging I'm sure had an innocent background. Why am I reminded of it whenever I see LOL? Are folk dawdling when they type it?
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  bloomsby