Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#520036 - Wed Apr 14 2010 06:21 AM Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton Ohio USA              
OK. I've been wondering the purpose of a thread like this for a while now, but have finally thought it'd be worth a try. We have a group here, folks who like to play the Chains (I, for one like them a lot --- it feels like I've been at it/them since the Invasion of Normandy). But I always wonder what you all think, you know? And, please know, it's a group accessible by 1,000,000+ members here on FT, too ~ not just a team board game of just a few dozen people. So, every day, we get new members stopping in. Some stay, some don't. But ya never know who's going to stick around, eh? And suggestions/thoughts are good things (from newbies or oldies alike). And that's what I'm asking for. Just some thoughts. About why you stop in, why you don't stop in anymore --- whatever (constructive) stuff comes to your mind.

A few things to know:

If a game goes idle for two weeks it gets deleted. No need to waste up space with it. So go to the bottom of the list sometimes. My *Bumper Sticker*: Save a Game!

We can have app. 50 games "active" at a time. Locked ones don't count. If you wish to start a new Chain game just count up the active ones. If there's room, try yours! Trust me --- if it sucks or won't work, it'll fall out of that two week window. No harm, no foul.

You guys are allowed to start (and renew) games always! It's not a moderator's job to do so. You folks manage the games here, essentially.

There's probably more details to mention, but they evade me right now. We follow rules on capitalization and bolding, of course. But that is WAY simple to explain. Structure on a site like this is important (again, a million members). I'm old, and have been here for a thousand years . Trust me, I know this. You start not following patterns/guidelines as posted, any number of new people might come in and think there's no boundaries. And when that starts (and I'm truly speaking from experience) we end up with chat speak, and spam, and so forth. Both things are forbidden on this (tightly controlled) site. Not much point in it. It's not hard to follow the guidelines, in my opinion.

So, that's it, I reckon. I've been made fun of before on my patented statement: "I'm a moderator, not an editor." Make fun away! It's the truth, though. None of we moderators want to have to change posts or b*tch like crazy. But I gotta say, too. If you all (any or some) have a problem with each other? Take it up with yourselves via PM. Let's try not to mess up these boards with it. Because it really oughtn't happen that way.

OK, then! So this board is open for comments! Suggest, discuss ...

"The best teacher is not the one who knows most but the one who is most capable of reducing knowledge to that simple compound of the obvious and wonderful." ... H. L. Mencken

#520037 - Wed Apr 14 2010 07:23 AM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: Gatsby722]
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark Ohio USA               
I, for one, really enjoy the chains. It is fun to stop by and add to the end of a chain and then see where it goes from there. They can really take some unusual turns.

My problem with the chains is that since the use of the Previous and Next buttons were removed, I find it really difficult to get around the chains. With other boards I am able to use the Index-Collapse buttons and get a list of the latest posts, but on the Chain Games Board I get the message

“Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 40 bytes) in /home/trivia/www/ubbthreads/postlist.php on line 152”.

Since this happens on two different machines, I do not think it is my computer that has the problem.

This means that I see a new chain only if it happens to be the last one posted to. I keep a number of chains under my “Favorite Topics” and access them through that. But you can only add a thread to favorites if you post to that thread, I am not always ready to post when I first see a new thread so that is a drawback to keeping track of chains. The fact that threads fill up and then are continued in a new thread further complicates keeping track of chains.

I think navigating through the chains is extremely difficult for a new player to do – the interface is not intuitive and there is no guidelines on how the system works. It is a wonder that we have as many players as we do.

#520038 - Wed Apr 14 2010 09:29 AM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: maninmidohio]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Maninmidohio, say what? I had no idea what you were talking about there. Perfect! See, that's why this thread will help things. I have NO idea about those buttons you mention . I've never used them! Knowing that people do will assuredly improve things ! It's also a great example/tool, too. 'Just 'cause I don't know' doesn't mean it's not there! I'll ask about it . Or Mada (denni) and/or cinnamOn will. I'm, personally, always wanting to make the Chain games better!

May I ask a stupid question? Where are those 'next' and 'previous' buttons at? And, when you answer, please remember that old cliche: "there are no such things as stupid questions" .

"The best teacher is not the one who knows most but the one who is most capable of reducing knowledge to that simple compound of the obvious and wonderful." ... H. L. Mencken

#520039 - Wed Apr 14 2010 10:04 AM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: Gatsby722]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
I don't know what you mean either Manin. Do you mean you acces the chains directly from the home page?

I come into the forums and open up the chain games section and then they're all laid out in front of me.

I love the ones I play. I start my day with them over my cup of coffee and I play them last thing at night before I close my PC down - and numerous times inbetween when I have a spare moment LOL

I'd just suggest making this a 'sticky' thread too so it stays up the top of the board

Edited by Midget40 (Thu Apr 15 2010 12:13 PM)

#520040 - Mon Apr 19 2010 12:08 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: Midget40]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Orosi Costa Rica              
The 'Previous' and 'Next' buttons are bottom right of this page, Gats. I've never used them, I always use the 'Index' one in the middle which takes me to page one of the Chains, where I can see all the threads. Does that not work the same for you maninmidohio?

Thanks for starting this thread Gatsby! Personally, I stop in to relax, to match wits with forum friends, and to learn some new 'stuff' along the way. I was a little saddened to see the "Talking to Myself" thread hit the boneyard. I understand about non-active threads needing to be deleted to make room for more active ones, but this particular thread seems (to me) like an exception could be made for it. True, it wasn't one that had entries every day, (or even every week) but the entries that were there were a glimpse into the person posting for the reader, and also a great place to sound off, vent, or for meditative musings for the poster. As I remember it had a great many views, so was obviously popular among the Chain Gang. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Thanks Gatsby for moderating such a busy forum. Hats off to you, sir! There's many here, I'm sure, that appreciate the time and effort you put into it. *sings For He's A Jolly Good Fellow...*

edited to be more specific as to which part of Ohio maninohio is from - sorry!!

Edited by MadMags (Mon Apr 19 2010 12:17 PM)

#520041 - Mon Apr 19 2010 12:21 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: MadMags]
StarfishTwo Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge Tennessee USA      
I don't do anything of these things you folks are talking about. I just log on and come to the Chain Games forum and everything's laid out all nice and neat.

Maninmidohio, you might want to play around with your default display mode and default view in your display preferences. I go to another forum that is powered by UBBthreads just like this one, but it's organized completely differently and the preferences I use over there would NOT work here.

I'll add my thanks to Gats, as well. Our games run pretty smoothly most of the time, but it's wonderful to have a place to discuss and work out problems that arise.

#520042 - Mon Apr 19 2010 12:49 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: MadMags]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Well thank you, Mags! It's so easy for me to pop in (or stay in, for hours ... pick one ) over here. That might change, though. All I ever think forward to is to a time when I actually have to make a living and not be able to do that so much. Seems to me, by now, the Chain Games run themselves mostly. And that's the way it should be . Good and smart lot of 'regulars' down here!

As for that "Talk To Yourself" thread. Technically (and in my opinion) it should NEVER stop. Because [and now I'll get all technical about my feelings on it ] -- with it not here, there's *false advertising* going on. If you're wondering what I mean, read the intro to the games down here. It says "there's even a chain where you talk to yourself, nobody listens". To me, that means the thread should/must be here. But the last one got ZERO traffic! I bumped it three times when it was in danger of sitting idle too long ... and back to the basement it went, in short order. My thought? If we start it back up (and I want to)? Keep an eye on it. If it starts to slip down and nobody looks? Say anything (we talk to ourselves all the time, so say a little something that's in your head ~ heck, do a "twitter" something, even, since that evidently works in the world like crazy ). Posting anything, however, will bring the thread back to the top, current and moving. And that's all that's required.

And I'm now getting a grip on 'previous' and 'next' buttons. I'm working on it . I've never used them before. I'm so easily complicated/confused, though .

And, Midget! I'm not too sure how often people look at *stickied threads*. At least not the 'stoppers by'.I was thinking this thread might get more feedback down on the conversational boards here. But we'll see how it goes. But I really did consider "stickying" it at first. If it seems better to do that (maybe after responses get rolling) I'll switch it?

#520043 - Mon Apr 19 2010 01:10 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: Gatsby722]
StarfishTwo Offline

I agree. I don't ever even notice the stickies anymore. I just breeze right past 'em and get to the good stuff.

Gats, if you put the Talk To Yourself thread back up, I will help rescue it out of the basement from time to time. I do a good bit of that, anyway! But I don't promise to say anything pithy.

#520044 - Thu Apr 22 2010 10:07 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: StarfishTwo]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

All right, then. The *Talk To Yourself* thread is returning now ! I need to talk to myself about bird houses ...

Let's all try to keep it floating, OK? Bird houses or no.

#520045 - Thu Apr 22 2010 10:32 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: Gatsby722]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Oh yayyy!!

I remember the first time I came to the main page of the Chains, and was intrigued by the sentence "There's even a thread where you talk to yourself, everyone ignores you". It was that that made me enter, out of curiousity. It's a great thread, and I'm happy to see its return!

#520046 - Fri Apr 23 2010 02:09 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: MadMags]
StarfishTwo Offline

I, for one, am interested to know what Gatsby has to say about bird houses.

#520047 - Fri Apr 23 2010 03:10 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: Gatsby722]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
Quote:

And, Midget! I'm not too sure how often people look at *stickied threads*. At least not the 'stoppers by'.I was thinking this thread might get more feedback down on the conversational boards here. But we'll see how it goes. But I really did consider "stickying" it at first. If it seems better to do that (maybe after responses get rolling) I'll switch it?

Good point - I was just thinking how quickly threads move down on this thread because we're all in playing the games. The day after I wrote that post I was looking for the thread and it was half way down the second page already. (I added the suggestion then not on the first post)

By the way - I'll read a 'stickie' if I see it has a new post on it.

#520048 - Mon Apr 26 2010 01:36 AM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: Midget40]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Just a *heads up*! 'Categories' (which was really active there for a while) is now sitting at ten days unplayed. I bumped it up, which doesn't count as a play, but it didn't get updated with any guesses/hints after I did. Just four more days before deletion on that one ...

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Apr 26 2010 01:39 AM)

#520049 - Mon Apr 26 2010 01:38 AM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: Gatsby722]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Eeek! I just noticed ... 'Six Degrees of Wikipedia' is in the exact same situation as 'Categories' . I, for one, am pretty well stuck on both of 'em.

#520050 - Fri Apr 30 2010 01:55 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: Gatsby722]
StarfishTwo Offline

I'm so glad you started this thread! It's a great place to post reminders like you did above. I see both of those games are out of the basement now, so this thread has proved its worth already. If this thread ends up in the basement, though, then everyone might miss the reminders!

#520051 - Fri Apr 30 2010 02:43 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: StarfishTwo]
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Quote:

If this thread ends up in the basement, though, then everyone might miss the reminders!

Right!

That's why I also think it should be made a Sticky. And hopefully, one that won't get passed by .

As my great Boss [a.k.a. Mr. Gatsby ] already mentioned all that's important, I can't add anything brilliant but I'd like to stress one of Gats' points:

Quote:

You guys are allowed to start (and renew) games always! It's not a moderator's job to do so. You folks manage the games here, essentially.

I've been around the Chain Games for almost 4 years and I very rarely have seen players restarting games (new parts for an existing game) after the "300 posts" limit has been reached.

It's not that complicated to copy the guidelines into a new post, change the number (Part x) in the title and add the last 3-4 topics/posts that were played.

Sometimes I wonder what will happen if neither of us, moderators (and especially Gats), renews the games. We can just lock the thread when it's done and then wait for the players to start the new thread. Most probably, half of the games will meet an early demise .

Well... now I bet you can tell who's the *mod from hell* among us .

#520052 - Fri Apr 30 2010 04:07 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: denni19]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Just one [more] note on that "stickying" stuff. I'm bumping around in here all the time - so, essentially, I'm a "sticky thread" with a heartbeat and feet. There is no way that I'll let this thread go deep south (it seems to be helpful and looked at). I'm one of those who like feedback; in fact, I crave it. To me, "stickied threads" get read, and read only, and then proceeded from. Down here this way, "potentially stickied threads" get discussed. Shoot me sideways, if you will, but I think discussion is better than locked-up text.

And Mada (denni19) is a self-confessed "Mod from Hell" all of a sudden ? Say what!? That's so not true.

But, again, this thread can be "stickied" any time it seems right. It's the way it seems to go around here: whatever works, we'll go with it.

#520053 - Fri Apr 30 2010 06:56 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: Gatsby722]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Sorry if this is an inappropriate place to post this, couldn't think of a better place... just wanted to say that I'm starting a new full-time job on May 10th, and it's in the government department I worked in last summer/fall so I already know they have every good website imaginable blocked, so I won't be around playing chain games too much anymore - still weekends, and probably most evenings too. Maybe I'm being a little full of myself thinking you'd even notice my absence, but since I've been here and posting sometimes all day since my unemployment started in November, I thought maybe a couple of you would notice!

I did think of something more chain game-relevant to say this in thread a couple nights ago when I was away from my computer, but heck if I can think of it now... well, if I remember, I'll come back and post it!

#520054 - Sat May 01 2010 08:07 AM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: guitargoddess]
denni19 Offline

Good luck with your new job GG!

Your absence would have been noticed, by both players and moderators. At least now we know what's going on and we won't think you got angry with us or bored with the games and just left.

Real life has a darned way of interfering with our wishes and hobbies and we all know that and we've all 'been there'.

#520055 - Sat May 01 2010 11:56 AM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: denni19]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

That's great news gg! Hopefully you can get on in the evenings at times, and continue to add your wit to the chains.

#520056 - Sat May 01 2010 12:13 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: MadMags]

Thank you for the well wishes Real life is very interfering! And I'm still new at this 'real life' stuff. Sometimes it's pretty depressing to think about the fact that I've got like 40 years of working for a living ahead of me. lol

#520057 - Sat May 01 2010 12:42 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: guitargoddess]
StarfishTwo Offline

I always notice when someone suddenly isn't here often (or at all) anymore, and then am stuck with wondering what happened to them (like Roofoo, for instance), so I'm glad GG posted a note to let us know what's up with her! Note to everyone: Let us know when you're going to disappear!

Way to go on your new job, GG! We play a lot of the same games, so you'll be missed. Don't be a stranger!

Quote:

Sometimes it's pretty depressing to think about the fact that I've got like 40 years of working for a living ahead of me.

I felt exactly the same way when I was your age, GG. I was seriously hoping to discover I was switched at birth with a Rockefeller baby. Now that I've got 20+ years under my belt, I don't feel all that differently, although working has been something I just do, like breathing. But I'm still waiting for the Rockefellers to come for me!

Quote:

I've been around the Chain Games for almost 4 years and I very rarely have seen players restarting games (new parts for an existing game) after the "300 posts" limit has been reached.

It's not that complicated to copy the guidelines into a new post, change the number (Part x) in the title and add the last 3-4 topics/posts that were played.

GG and I had a discussion about this a few months ago when a game we were playing went over 300 posts. GG wondered if we should start a new one, but I ended up nixing the idea because I didn't know how to lock the old thread before starting a new one. I was under the impression only mods could lock a thread and therefore I thought that we shouldn't start a new one because then there would be two open threads of the same game. Can we "serfs" lock an old thread? I would be happy to assist with housekeeping if I'm qualified to do so.

And I for one am falling in the "non-sticky" camp of the great debate. I like finding this thread mixed in with my games. It reminds me to read it.

#520058 - Sat May 01 2010 01:14 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: StarfishTwo]
denni19 Offline

No Starfish, unfortunately there's no system in place to allow players to lock threads.
The thing you can do if you wish to restart a game is to post a small note in the old one - "Do NOT post in here, a new thread has been opened" [and we will lock the old one when we show up].

OK, we do know that some (not many!) players never look up or down or sideways when making a new post [that's why double posting appears, or wrong starting letter in alphabetical games]. Anyway... If they post in an old/closed/stopped thread we can delete those wrong posts - the new part of the game is all that matters .

Thank you for wishing to help.

** About jobs and working years... This year in September I will 'celebrate' 30 years of continous working. I am 48 yo and, according to our laws, I am only allowed to retire when I'm 65 (if I don't kill myself before that ). So GG, brace yourself! Real life is not too easy...

#520059 - Sat May 01 2010 02:47 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: denni19]

Ooh at least I only have to make it to age 55, if I stay in the government.. public service workers get their full pension with the 85 year rule... age 55 + 30 years of service. I'm hoping to not stay in the government though. Well actually I'm hoping I'll find something I really enjoy doing in the government, because really, the pay and benefits can't be beat. I'm applying for teacher's college in the fall though, for hopefully starting Sept 2011. If I don't get into that though, no clue what else I want, and I guess being a ridiculously overpaid government clerk is better than a lot of other options! In theory though I should be able to move up from being a clerk quite quickly, since all the baby boomers are retiring and I have a university degree.. we'll see

Being a long-lost Rockefeller baby would be alright with me too though! Or winning the lottery. And I've been saying for awhile my backup plan is find a man to support me and be a housewife.. I'd be cool with that . Too bad it's not 1952 though.

#520060 - Sat May 01 2010 10:10 PM Re: Chain Games Discussions/Suggestions [Re: guitargoddess]
StarfishTwo Offline

Best of luck to you, GG!

Thanks denni for the info. Maybe some of us can help a bit with the housekeeping around here!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >