Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#520781 - Thu Apr 22 2010 10:34 PM Talk To Yourself!
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton Ohio USA              
This one is not a chain game, as it doesn't have to lead one post into the next. It's all about discussion with self, and that's all it is. Sometimes we say the most interesting and/or amusing things privately and unashamedly, don't we? We might think no one would care. BUT, we might be wrong about that. Everybody is interesting, in their own way. My dear ol' aunt used to tell me: "Everybody's a bestselling biography that no one has bothered to write yet." I think she was right. And said bio is all about the perceptions we have of a day. So spill your perceptions, if you wish. Doesn't have to be profound or important (but it might be). Doesn't even have to be explained (but you can if you want to). It's just whatever you might be saying to yourself. With nobody listening, o' course .

I love my new bird house, let me begin. It was an odd thing to purchase the other day (seeing as how I own no birds). But I was at this Amish store nearby -- quite a delightful discovery, that store -- and I went in there looking at all the startlingly crafted furniture, etc. I have a high regard for the Amish. They start a 'thing' from scratch and build it up from there to a place that almost takes the breath away. Everything in there was awesome, from the bed frames to the jams/jellies on the walls. Pretty pricey, though (which makes sense, considering it takes one man/woman countless hours to put each thing together). Then I saw this little bird house, made out of cedar. Only fifteen dollars! Buddy, I was on that like white on rice . The stupid little thing not only looks terribly cool, but it smells so terrific that I (for one) can hardly stand it! And while no birds will ever likely live in it, it has a nice spot near my book shelf to remind me of craftmanship. And nice aromas. And heartful intent. As said: I truly heart the Amish and the way they do things.

Now all I need is a bird, I reckon.

Edited by Gatsby722 (Thu Apr 22 2010 10:52 PM)

#520782 - Mon Apr 26 2010 11:58 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: Gatsby722]
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
I for one would love to see Gatsby's bird house, it sounds beautiful.

Oh my, I can't believe it, I will actually have a few days off work, something that has been completely out of the question since the whole chaos started with the volcanic eruptions. My great satisfaction is that I have finally managed to get everybody home, my last passegers flew out yesterday, no more yelling and shouting, finally a bit of peace and quiet.

#520783 - Tue Apr 27 2010 12:54 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: szabs]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
It's snowing here today! Unbelievable. There's been no snow on the ground since early March, it was 20 degrees Celsius just two days ago.. and it's snowing!

#520784 - Mon May 03 2010 02:29 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: guitargoddess]
StarfishTwo Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge Tennessee USA      
Our German exchange student finally went home week before last. She was to stay with us three weeks, but had to stay an extra week due to the ash cloud in Europe. Her program directors took her to visit some big cities (Atlanta, Nashville) and museums and other attractions. We took her to the Smoky Mountains and to the Cherokee Reservation in North Carolina. She enjoyed many of these things, but it was the social life of the American teenager and the shopping that captivated her the most. Wal-Mart particularly amazed her and she took many pictures trying to convey the immense size of the place. She couldn't believe we could buy groceries, jeans, paint, blueberry bushes, and a pellet gun all in the same place. She screamed when she touched a loaf of our standard whole-wheat bread. Our soft bread so freaked her out that we ended up taking her to a bakery to get the nice crusty bread that she was used to. We enjoyed showing her our culture and learning about hers. Everyone in the family learned a little German. It was a very positive experience, other than the frightening experience of being responsible for the 14-year-old child of someone 8000 miles away who (whom?) you have never met. Next month, we will send my boyfriend's 15-year-old daughter to stay with those people for a month, and I hope she enjoys the culture shock in the same way that Hannah did with us.

#520785 - Sat May 08 2010 08:13 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: StarfishTwo]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

It's been a long time since I actually looked forward to seeing "Saturday Night Live". It's been on so darned long! Back when the format was all fresh and new I had people over to my (groovin' ) apartment to party with and watch it together, week after week! The show never got bad, and I truly believe that. I lost interest only because the novelty of it wore off, and the regularity of looking at it got scarce. But tonight I plan to watch like crazy. Betty White is hosting, at the mere age of 89. I l.o.v.e. Betty White! She has the ticket to life, I think. She's irreverant, yet respectful. Grateful, yet bold. Likes animals yet seems to like people just as much. Pays attention! AND she even gets a little dirty sometimes. Who could ask for more?

#520786 - Tue May 11 2010 05:03 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: Gatsby722]
guitargoddess Offline

I really hope I get my building pass at work tomorrow... a visitor's pass is rather inconvenient when you're there all day. Passes are supposed to be requested in advance and ready the day you start, I know because I used to be an admin in the department I'm working in and had to request passes for student workers a few times... but it seems no one requested my pass until the end of my first day there? Not that big of a deal, but it's a bit silly that I can't even go to the washroom without bothering someone else because the bathroom is located in the main hallway by the elevators, and you need to swipe the door to the office to get back in... At least I got a computer account and e-mail access today though! Set up by a cute IT guy

#520787 - Sun May 16 2010 11:16 AM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: guitargoddess]
MomOf2 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates
Oh please please let it rain a bit tonight- tall order for a middle eastern desert I realize. It was totally overcast in the late afternoon, with lots of thunder and strong gusts of wind, but then it only rained about 4 little wimpy drops. Guess I took in the patio cushions for nothing. Daytime temperatures are already in the 40s and it is getting too hot to walk my dog at our customary time of 7am. This morning the sand and pavement were already so hot that we sprinted to the grassed boulevard so his paws wouldn't get burnt off. I am so not looking forward to changing our walk time to 5am-bleh. Only my tortoise is happy about this; he likes it hot and dry. I generally water my garden in sections so he always has a dry spot.

Edited by MomOf2 (Sun May 16 2010 11:19 AM)

#520788 - Sun May 16 2010 04:24 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: MomOf2]
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Well... I've been talking to Gatsby and he's not feeling very well. He has to lie down to get better and he'll be off the computer for a few days.
We are all so used to having him around all the time and making us smile with his words and funny optimistic stories and so I thought, in case somebody else misses him, I'd let you know what's up.

#520789 - Sun May 16 2010 06:23 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: denni19]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
I hate when people have a vendetta against someone and is hostile toward someone they really don't know. Meanwhile, he sought out to do something and was successful yesterday, and now I am left out to dry. Granted, I have a lot of people on my side, but will see if it will be enough.

#520790 - Sun May 16 2010 10:03 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: dg_dave]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Orosi Costa Rica              
Thank you denni, for letting us know. I had missed him, and was wondering where he was. Gats, get well soon, the place isn't the same without you!

@)--->-- a rose to brighten your day.

#520791 - Wed May 19 2010 01:55 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: MadMags]
MomOf2 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates
Awww Gatsby, feel better soon.

#520792 - Fri May 21 2010 08:27 AM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: MomOf2]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ugh, y' know ? All a person needs to do for things to go south in a hurry is do something as perfectly natural as take an innocent pee? Say what . I suppose I shouldn't get all fussy and wonder what happened that caused me to (without even knowing it) go down like a felled tree into a rather large assortment of kitchen gadgets last Friday --- all I really remember is leaving the bathroom, everything going dark, and I woke up 20 minutes later surrounded by double broilers and various spatulas and a [now dented] wok, etcetera --- and then proceeding into a few of the most painful (may I say that twice? PAINFUL) days I've experienced in my life. Once I got to the couch and managed to sleep I woke up Saturday unable to move anything but my head, arms and (kinda) the right leg. Any attempts to budge anything else resulted in my screaming out loud and throwing up like a carsick 3-year old. Jeesh! Today was the first day I could manage to get the [ahem] 4.5 feet (!) from sofa to desk. It took me, I timed it, 43 minutes to go such a distance, too ! But it's s-o-o-o nice to have made it back to my regular domestic perch. How long I'll remain perched on said perch, however? Probably not too terribly long ...

The only conclusion(s) so far? Times like this make living alone an amazing PITA. Oh, and also: Elsa Lanchester (RIP)? You think you can scream well on-screen when that handsome husband of yours shows up and such? Sister, given the right circumstances, it is evident that I can outscream you (times ten) without even popping a sweat .

#520793 - Sun May 30 2010 11:39 AM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: Gatsby722]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Appreciating the small things in life: After living here for 3.5 years and doing quite nicely without a fan, I decided yesterday I just had to have one after all. The last couple of weeks have been unusually hot, and not only hot, but muggy too. The evenings were unbearably humid. So yesterday afternoon I trotted over the bridge into town to the local hardware store. They had a good selection (not always the case), and I gladly forked over twenty five bucks for a table model. Then I went to the grocery store and picked up a litre of chocobon icecream.

Ahhhhh, blessed relief! As the cool breeze filled the room, and I ate a bowl of my favourite icecream, I reflected on how the simple things in life really are quite delightful. I'm a lucky gal.

#520794 - Tue Jun 01 2010 09:44 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: MadMags]
david1975 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada     
On May 29th, I went to a local store, where they demonstrated the iPad, which had arrived in Canada the day before. I was so impressed with the iPad that I decided to buy one for myself. Unfortunately, I found out after charging up the battery that the applications had to be downloaded. Today, I went back to the store where I bought the iPad, where the staff downloaded the applications that were needed. Now it works very well.

#520795 - Fri Jun 04 2010 08:38 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: david1975]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Warning: now here goes a whacky post indeed . But I do 'weird' pretty well. To start, I get over on FaceBook now and then (and always feel a bit overwhelmed when I do), and the big theme with my *friends*, most of which I'd lost track of in 1975, is our 35th class reunion looming. Yes, 'blech!' to such hallmark events, don't you think? None of us made a bit of sense back then and, now that we're starting to? It confuses me like crazy . I don't really know these gray-haired, right-winged people (didn't we all used to be crazy liberal?) anymore in the slightest. But, I admit, it IS fun catching up. Anyway, June 1st was the anniversary of our graduation day. Three and a half centuries ~ oops, I mean decades ~ ago. We had a large class that year, so big that some accomodations needed made. Typically the whole band (of which I was a staunch member) played, doing "Pomp and Circumstance" after which all seniors stood up and returned to their nearly diploma-grabbing seats once we were done. THAT year there was no room for the entire band, first time ever. Instead, the band director had to choose a 'representation' of the band to stand up, a small group of seniors who had somehow excelled over time. Lucky freakin' me, huh? He picked the saxophone sextet of which I was a member, baritone sax participant. Oh, oh, oh. I was NOT pleased -- and resisted having to stand up, mid ceremony, and go up there and play . After being called many names by my ensemble leader (I'll skip the nasty terms she used in my direction, but I remember them well), I decided I'd go ahead and do it. She was kinda right ... we smoked the lot in the regional tournaments, scoring a *1* with blue ribbons and insane praise attached (I still have the ribbon), So, I finally reckoned, who better to "represent". But, anyway, it all came up on FaceBook a bit once the anniversary hit. I have a rather selective memory, but somehow, I managed to recall the name of the song we did. Looked it up on YouTube! I couldn't believe it! There it was! Now, the attached clip IS NOT us (Case Western Reserve people doing it) but the arrangement is identical. And I was just s-o-o-o thrilled [ahem] to listen. I remembered why I wanted to skip on doing it back then in front of a crowd, that's for sure. It was that low B flat I had to blow mid-way through, with vibrato (simply torture, I tell ya!). Hitting that note AT ALL is like having your toes getting pulled up to your eyebrows -- there's not enough breath in a body to do it right since you have to open your lungs to flatly abnormal places. It took me weeks to manage it for the tourneys. I was expected to do it again? Say what? But, dammit, I hit it that day. With what felt like three zillion people watching me. But, back to the video I found ... the arrangement is the very same one we played. Note by note. One of those times that I looked at the sheet music and thought: Omigod! I can't possibly play this! It's too complicated!" But, as we went, all the rough notes fell together in such an awesome way ! My challenges came in the first part, the 'Poem'. The second half (the 'Dance') was easier since, as the bass part, all I had to do was what I referred to as "tuba toot" way back '75. Ah, it was a good show that June day, though. Here's that same arrangement done by Case Western Reserve's ensemble (but, don't doubt it, we were better). Would it be all right to say in the notes we got after our regional performance that the judges said (no word of a lie) how *outstanding* the baritone sax was in the first half. Without question, they were correct . I kept telling everybody, back then: "Clearly you guys realize that the bari is the backbone of this operation, don't you?" LOL. Here's what the song sounds like. We were easily as good (OK, a tad more exact) than this lot.

Why is this important, I must wonder. After a month like I've had? I bow down to a time when I could do something right. It gives me a wee boost in thinking that maybe, just maybe, I'll get to do something right again .

Edited by Gatsby722 (Fri Jun 04 2010 09:11 PM)

#520796 - Fri Jun 04 2010 09:14 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: Gatsby722]
Englizzie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tulsa Oklahoma USA          

I just wanted to sell a television, so I posted it on Craig's List. It must have been my day. The coterie of irritating, non-existent people who ask all sorts of ridiculous questions, and have no intention of buying a bean. You know that they all have phony e-mail addresses. Well today, the great god of spam chose me to be the victim. I got a little obstreperous with one irritant, who then became quite threatening. It was not a nice feeling. So I reported the threats to all sorts of people, who will do nothing, and pulled my ad for my TV. As days go, I would suggest that this was not a very inspiring one, and reinforces the feeling that most dogs are better than most people.

#520797 - Sun Jun 13 2010 02:41 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: Englizzie]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
So glad you've brought this one back Dave, I remember the first one and we do learn a lot about each other from it. And hope you get moving a lot better quickly.

I for one am only too happy to use the opportunity of the internet to teach, but when anything controversial is involved (for this, read "global warming") cages can really get rattled. With enough opposition most people eventually give up as they feel it's a waste of effort and not appreciated, but on any subject if you believe you have the truth, one single changed mind is a miracle. I've seen it happen a few times and beats all the insults and put downs I get the rest of the time. If anyone gives up they're letting the buggers win.

On 'other business' I know I'm going to upset and alienate at least half the site members now, but I've been checking out Sarah Palin recently and besides the way she sometimes presents herself (if it was art it would probably be called 'primitive'), but she seems to have her head well screwed on and not hooked into the fashionable and popular movements which I believe are based in fear and emotional sentiment rather than any actual fact. With the mid terms coming later in the year it may be half way round the world but US policies affect most of us one way or another and having seen enough from both sides since Obama got in am (runs and hides under table) rooting for a Republican senate next. If they win then I'll know it wasn't just me.
I'll go into hibernation now, right wing views seem to have lost all their respectability this millennium.

UN IPCC

#520798 - Wed Jun 30 2010 11:51 AM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: satguru]
StarfishTwo Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge Tennessee USA      
Every now and then something happens that restores my faith in humanity, at least for a little while.

I went to a drive-thru restaurant a few days ago to grab a quick bite to take back to work. When I got to the window, money in hand, the cashier informed me that the woman in the car in front of me had paid for my meal. The woman in question was long gone by that point, so I couldn't even give her a wave of thanks. I decided to pass it on, so I paid for the car behind me in line. I wondered later how far it went, and who was the person who finally stopped the giving. I knew at some point, a car would pull up and say, "Awesome! Free food!" and drive away, but how many people would participate before that happened?

I remember the whole "Practice random acts of kindness" trend a few years ago, but you don't hear much about these things lately, and I was frankly stunned to be on the receiving end of one. It was an extremely uplifting experience, and it's led me to ponder the possible results if everyone engaged in this sort of behavior on a regular basis. We could only be better for it, and isn't better what everyone wants?

#520799 - Wed Jun 30 2010 04:08 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: StarfishTwo]
guitargoddess Offline

I am so pleased with myself, I made my first pie on the weekend, crust and everything, for my dad's birthday. Pecan, his favourite. It came out great! We cut into it last night after dinner, and there's none left now!

#520800 - Thu Jul 01 2010 12:11 AM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: guitargoddess]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Last night, or to be exact, early this morning at 1:45 I was working at my computer when I felt quite a strong vibration in my chair. It lasted for what seemed like a couple of minutes then abated, then to return, not so strong this time. An earthquake. I checked the net early this morning. It was a 4.0 near Quepos, not very far from here at all.

#520801 - Mon Jul 05 2010 07:01 AM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: MadMags]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Sometimes it seems like a day can drag, even if you've only been at work for an hour. Only 11 to go...but it'll seem like so many more.

#520802 - Fri Jul 16 2010 02:26 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: dg_dave]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Sometimes you wish you had a little inventory, but when you don't have enough, it can be stressful.

#520803 - Mon Aug 02 2010 11:29 AM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: dg_dave]
guitargoddess Offline

I love long weekends Gives me a chance to watch all the TV shows that I used to watch while unemployed and now really miss. Mostly Rachael Ray and The Price is Right

#520804 - Mon Aug 02 2010 11:09 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: guitargoddess]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Go ahead and brag to yourself, dude. You and I both think it's OK, right? Especially today? You made it through every freakin' aisle of that (huge) grocery store Monday afternoon - only using your walker and not sitting on one of those motorized scooters they have there (which are GREAT fun, by the way , and my domain since early June). My friend who helps me is evil, I think . Just (definitely) kidding. He's not. But he's quick to say: "You need to try it now. Grab that walker and let's see what happens." And I made it! Up until now he's had to pull one of our vehicles up to the *fire zone* parking, pull me out, plop me up, go in and get a scooter, deliver it, plunk me in it -- and off we went. Today I used my own legs. And they worked! Both of them did! Especially that left one.

Only a little, I sometimes sit here and think how long a road it's been, for me, since May 14 (I'll never forget that date, let me tell ya). It's been MY journey, let me clarify --- even though I had such God-blessed good helpers --- but it all went s-o-o-o fast. And there are weeks of it, to be frank, I can't remember. Stuff around here really hurt - in a way that I could have never before remotely have fathomed. Pain like that seems to (threaten to) shut a person down! I can make jokes about it now -- but in June I was like a newborn baby . I did it all. After I broke my hip I had to learn to sit up. I had to learn how to move. I (yes ) wore 'adult diapers'. Once I got to the hospital (after nearly two months of 'diapering') I had to learn to walk again, after the surgery. One step was a major challenge (aparatus or not). Two? A victory that made me (privately) cry. I know/knew that there are people here who have dealt with such things, that 'recovery' wonder of getting just a little bit better (Sue comes to mind, after her heart surgery [and some others, too]). It's all about merely that one wee step. Biting your tongue and doing it. Sounds like a bad "Lifetime" channel movie, don't it ? In many ways, I guess it is. But I got to walk through the store today (and bought all the stuff to make a zillion pounds of spaghetti sauce tomorrow). To me? Bad movies or no, I get to live a little bit longer. And cook for/eat with/serve my guests, too.

And, young man? You NEVER take that for granted. And if you do? Shame (badly) on you.

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Aug 04 2010 09:44 AM)

#520805 - Mon Aug 02 2010 11:27 PM Re: Talk To Yourself! [Re: Gatsby722]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

By the way. While we were in that huge grocery store we stopped at one of those Red Boxes in it, sitting there near the exit (where you can rent new DVDs for a buck). It had Hot Tub Time Machine in there, so I rented it. O. My. God! What a great film ! Best I've seen in 2010.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  guitargoddess, StarfishTwo