Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#544144 - Mon Aug 09 2010 08:33 PM For Srini701- AFL Football
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
AFL explained.

I saw your post recently asking about AFL and how it differs from other footy codes. Hopefully this post will clear up a few questions.

History

The game was invented in about 1858, and was originally designed to keep cricketers fit during winter. Melbourne was the first club formed and are one of the oldest clubs of any code in the world. The first rules were written by Tom Wills, who also did a lot to get the competition off the ground.

Some Rules

Throwing the ball is not allowed. It must be kicked or handpassed. A handpass is when a player holds the ball on one hand, and punches it with the other.

A ball is 'marked' when it is caught on the full from a kick that goes further than 15 metres. Anything shorter, or a ball that is touched in flight, will bring a call of 'play on' from the umpire.

A player can be tackled between the knees and shoulder, but cannot be pushed in the back. Below the knees constitutes a 'trip', and above the shoulder is 'around the neck'. Both of these are offences and will result in a free kick. (Similar to a free kick in soccer).

Scoring

There are four posts at each end of the (oval) ground, two tall ones flanked by two shorter ones. A goal is scored if the ball is kicked between the two tall sticks, and this scores six points. A behind is scored if the ball goes between a large and small post, or if the ball is touched by an oppposing player before it goes through the sticks. Also, if the ball touches either goalpost, it is a behind. A behind only scores one point.

The Attraction of the Game

The high marking. When a player can get up to almost three metres in the air over a pack of players and catch the ball, it is known as a 'speccy'- short for 'spectacular'. The best sight in football! Some great high-markers were Alex Jezaulanko, Trevor Barker, Geoff White and Warwick Capper.

Precision kicking. Some players seem to have the knack of kickinng goals from outrageously impossible angles. Peter Daicos was a genius at doing this, so was Kevin Bartlett.

The League

The Australian Football League (AFL) was created from the old Victorian Football League (VFL) in 1989 to reflect the growing spread of the game away from its birthstate of Victoria. There are now teams in every state except Tasmania and the 'interstate' teams can certainly hold their own against the traditional Melbourne-based sides. In the 2010 season there are 16 teams, but there are plans to add a couple more teams in the future. Western Sydney will be starting soon as will Gold Coast (Queensland).

If you have any questions, please ask, but in the meantime, check out some of the action in this Youtube clip.

I may be a tad biased, but I think it is the best football code in the world!

Edited by ozzz2002 (Mon Aug 09 2010 08:39 PM)

#544145 - Tue Aug 10 2010 11:45 AM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: ozzz2002]
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Hyderabad India           
Wow! thanks, Ozz for that patient and detailed write-up...You ARE a fantastic guy ...so it is NOT rugby or even American "soccer"...

#544146 - Tue Aug 10 2010 08:52 PM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: srini701]
ozzz2002 Offline

Also, the game is often played on an cricket ground- the SCG and the MCG are used extensively. Adelaide Oval, the WACA and the Gabba occasionally host games, too.

The ball is a similar shape to a rugby ball, but a bit more smaller and pointier. They are not quite as pointed as an American gridiron ball.

I forgot to mention that in the scoring, you will see results such as 7.5 (47), which translates as 7 goals (multiplied by 6) plus 5 behinds, equalling 47 points. The total score is the important one as 6.11 also equals 47 points. The latter score means that that team just could not kick straight.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#544147 - Tue Aug 10 2010 11:10 PM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: ozzz2002]
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

Also, the game is often played on an cricket ground- the SCG and the MCG are used extensively. Adelaide Oval, the WACA and the Gabba occasionally host games, too.

The ball is a similar shape to a rugby ball, but a bit more smaller and pointier. They are not quite as pointed as an American gridiron ball.

I forgot to mention that in the scoring, you will see results such as 7.5 (47), which translates as 7 goals (multiplied by 6) plus 5 behinds, equalling 47 points. The total score is the important one as 6.11 also equals 47 points. The latter score means that that team just could not kick straight.

Play football on a cricket ground? scoring in decimals? what next?...

Dunno if you read Asterix and Obelix, but like that Roman Legionary that says "These Gauls are crazy...", think I will say that about Aussie sports now

#544148 - Tue Aug 10 2010 11:19 PM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: srini701]
ozzz2002 Offline

And no padding either! The Yanks think we are barking mad, too.

#544149 - Wed Aug 11 2010 04:32 AM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: ozzz2002]
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Ozzz, thanks for giving such a good explanation, I often wondered about AFL footy compared to all the rest, till now never really understood it .

#544150 - Wed Aug 11 2010 05:04 AM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: szabs]
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

I don't know anything about rugby either, but think you score through those touchdowns(?) and people keep pulling and falling all over each other all the time (excuse the crude way I am putting this )...in AFL the players seem to be kicking the ball into the long goal posts...in the AFL also the players seem to be pulling one another (but then, they do that in the regular football too )...how else is it different from rugby?

In NFL, they seem to be wearing all those heavy uniforms and here they are not...how else is this different from the NFL?

PS: you are right about that "speccy"...it is good to watch

#544151 - Wed Aug 11 2010 01:28 PM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: srini701]
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea,UK
Hey srini - I'm just being a pedant here (my mother just tells me to shut up, so do feel free to do the same... I am very used to it ) but you can't score via a touchdown in rugby, even though that is what you do!

A touchdown can only be performed by a defending team, in the area on a line with or behind their own goalposts (but not out-of-bounds) AKA in-goal. This results in either an attacking scrum down on the five metre line (5m from the goal line) or a defensive drop-out from the 22m line depending on who was responsible for taking/putting the ball into in-goal.

If an attacking team reaches their opponents in-goal and puts the ball down legally, then they score a try worth five points (plus the opportunity to score 2 further points with a kick for the posts in a line from where the try was scored).

So I guess it is just different words for the same thing...

Jonno
Rugby referee and pillock!

Edited by jonnowales (Wed Aug 11 2010 01:55 PM)

#544152 - Wed Aug 11 2010 05:03 PM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: jonnowales]
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Western Australia
Thanks for that, Jonno. As a lifelong Aussie Rules fan, whose new partner is from New South Wales where the main code is Rugby, I have had several very confused explanations from various members of his family. Only trouble is, no two explanations were quite the same.
Yours makes sense, so when we visit in a few weeks, I will not have to sit there wondering what they are all talking about. Thanks again.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

#544153 - Wed Aug 11 2010 06:19 PM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: tezza1551]
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

No problem Tezza - the laws of rugby union are ridiculously complicated and by explaining them its helping me to learn them!

#544154 - Wed Aug 11 2010 10:47 PM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: jonnowales]
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

Thanks a lot, Jonno Makes lot of sense, but guess I will still say ..."these sports are crazy".....why can't people just play cricket, tennis or simple football instead of complicating their lives

#544155 - Wed Aug 11 2010 10:50 PM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: jonnowales]
ozzz2002 Offline

And just to muddy the waters a bit more, there are many differences between Rugby League which is generally only played in two Australian states and the north of England, and Rugby Union. Union is played in about 20 different countries, including Wales, Scotland, Ireland, England, Australia, Japan, South Africa, New Zealand, most of the Pacific islands, France, Italy, etc.

I will not even attempt to explain scrums (in either code), because they do not make any sense at all to me.

#544156 - Thu Aug 12 2010 06:13 PM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: ozzz2002]
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Scrums - yikes! I have written a quiz about scrums and it ended up being very technical...I guess it just can't be any other way!

#544157 - Thu Aug 12 2010 10:20 PM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: jonnowales]
quogequox Offline
Prolific

Loc: Adelaide SA Australia      
It is the best football code in the world. You're not biased at all.

#549357 - Sun Sep 05 2010 09:21 PM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: quogequox]
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

I've got a question Ozzz! smile

If the umpires get together to discuss whether a goal or behind has been scored and there is a difference in opinion, who gets the final say?

Basically what I'm asking is whether the field umpire leads the team of umpires or on goal issues, is it the goal umpire who gets the final say even if the field umpire disagrees?

Cheers smile

Jon

Edited by jonnowales (Sun Sep 05 2010 09:21 PM)

#549380 - Sun Sep 05 2010 10:49 PM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: jonnowales]
ozzz2002 Offline

Good question, Jonno!

When a goal or behind is scored, the field umpire will assess the play leading up to it, and if there are no free kicks, he will call to the goalie 'All Clear'. The goal umpire will then give his signals- one finger thrust out for a behind, or two for a goal- he will then wave a single flag for a behind, or both flags for a goal. If the ball touched the goal post, the signal would be in three parts- firstly, slapping the post, then signalling with one finger, and finally waving one flag.

If he is not sure, he can ask for assistance from any other umpires (usually a boundary umpire), but his is the ultimate responsibility.

A further point to note is that the goal umpires are the final declarers of the score. They overrule field umpires, scoreboard attendants, media, etc. At the end of each quarter, you will see the two umps comparing notes to make sure everything is accurate.

#549497 - Mon Sep 06 2010 05:51 PM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: ozzz2002]
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Thanks Ozzz - I've always enjoyed watching a game or two of Aussie Rules, but it isn't covered a great deal on British TV.

#657771 - Sat Oct 01 2011 04:52 AM Re: For Srini701- AFL Football [Re: ozzz2002]
Daaanieeel Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Perth WA Australia           
There are 17 teams currently in the AFL. The Adelaide Crows, the Brisbane Lions, the Carlton Blues, the much hated Collingwood Magpies, the Essendon Bombers, the Fremantle Dockers, the 2011 premiers the Geelong Cats, the Gold Coast Suns, the Hawthorn Hawks, the Melbourne Demons, the North Melbourne Kangaroos, Port Adelaide Power, the Richmond Tigers, the St Kilda Saints, the Sydney Swans, my personal favourite team, the West Coast Eagles and the Western Bulldogs. Next year (2012), the Greater Western Sydney Giants will be entering the AFL.

Edited by Daaanieeel (Sat Oct 01 2011 05:20 AM)

Moderator:  gtho4, ozzz2002