Terms of Use

Page 10 of 35 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 34 35 >
Topic Options
#638482 - Sat Jul 02 2011 06:50 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Anton]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
This combination is certainly correct, but interchangeable.

psychomotor development is related to ontogenesis

You said: growing

psychomotor development means "progressive acquisition of skills involving both mental and motor activities"
ontogenesis means "(biology) the process of an individual organism growing organically"

cytogeny is related to growing

You said: ontogenesis

cytogeny means "the origin and development and variation of cells"
growing means "(biology) the process of an individual organism growing organically"

As the definitions given for "growing" and for "ontogenesis" are exactly identical, I feel my choice is defendable, too.

#638534 - Sat Jul 02 2011 10:47 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
ArlingtonVA Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Virginia USA
I'd say you have a good argument there! smilee

#638603 - Sat Jul 02 2011 11:01 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: ArlingtonVA]
oberon Offline
Learning the ropes...

I also made the "mistake" re: ontogenesis and growing. Seems like it should be possible to program the game so it can't use two words in the same set where the definitions are exactly identical. (However, considering I'm far from a computer programmer, I'm very prepared to be wrong about that.)

#638791 - Mon Jul 04 2011 10:01 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Anton]
twosleepy Offline
Explorer

Loc: Mendon New York USA           
Okay, I just saw what a furor I touched off by daring to put in my own subject. Who knew? I had no idea this was against some rule, and can't figure out why it's a big deal, anyway. The topic title wasn't changed, just the subject of my post. Well, needless to say, I won't do THAT again. Am I now a pariah, banned from the board? If not, I'd like some feedback on the pairs I posted. If so, let me know so I can slink away...

PS I scoured the topics and threads looking for aforementioned rules. I could not find anything about post subject titles. I am eager to find the rules so that I do not continue to commit heinous acts unwittingly. Thank you for any guidance on that.

Edited by twosleepy (Mon Jul 04 2011 10:18 AM)

#638795 - Mon Jul 04 2011 10:30 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: twosleepy]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
The way messageboards work is that if you are replying to something in an existing thread, changing the name of your reply does alter the overall title of the thread - and if everyone did that, pretty soon no one would know which topic was what. That's why the thread title is automatically included in the subject line for replies and why changing thread titles isn't done - but it was easy enough to spot and change back. No one died so please save your pariah outfit for another time. smile And no one was holding you responsible for what happened next...

As for your original question... pass, lol.

#638805 - Mon Jul 04 2011 12:02 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Could you repost the query, twosleepy? I'm not saying I'll know how to answer, but it will make it easy for people to see the question without having to scroll back and search for the pairs.

#638844 - Mon Jul 04 2011 06:15 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
I think this is most likely the one he/she meant...

Originally Posted By: twosleepy
Let's play "Which of these was actually found in the game?" Any takers?

The opposite of free is blame

You said: convict

free means "let off the hook"
blame means "put or pin the blame on"

The opposite of exculpate is convict

You said: blame

exculpate means "pronounce not guilty of criminal charges"
convict means "find or declare guilty"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The opposite of free is convict

The opposite of exculpate is blame

#638848 - Mon Jul 04 2011 06:33 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Jakeroo]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Thanks for reproducing this, Jakeroo.

I'm stumped because it looks like you've drawn up two scenarios, only one of which is real. I can say that I've felt like things were wrongly matched in this game in the past, and often it is a matter of nuance. I personally prefer the second option:

---------------------------------------
The opposite of free is convict

The opposite of exculpate is blame

---------------------------------------

I don't have any intelligent or elegant way of explaining why this feels more correct to me though...

Sue

Edited by shuehorn (Mon Jul 04 2011 06:34 PM)

#638852 - Mon Jul 04 2011 07:17 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
I think I would have paired them the other way, as exculpate and convict feel like more formal terms than free and blame (which, by the way, has a dreadful definition provided!).

#638918 - Tue Jul 05 2011 07:01 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
I agree with Looney - not only are "free" and "blame" less formal, but to me at least they seem much more general, whereas "exculpate" and "convict" are not (usually) used much outside talking about a criminal.

#639000 - Tue Jul 05 2011 12:41 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: reeshy]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Well, you've convinced me reeshy and looney! Can twosleepy now clarify which one was really in the game?

#639730 - Sat Jul 09 2011 10:49 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle<br>  Washington USA...
"renegue on" appeared in the third section of my game today. That U does not belong there; the right spelling is "renege."

#639903 - Sun Jul 10 2011 02:00 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: CellarDoor]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
In today's set 22, I had

alarum means "an automatic signal (usually a sound) warning of danger"

It's supposed to be "alarm".

EDIT: Never mind - I've looked it up and my dictionary lists it as an archaic spelling! You learn something new every day, they say. smile

Edited by reeshy (Sun Jul 10 2011 02:01 PM)

#639907 - Sun Jul 10 2011 03:28 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: reeshy]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
While "renegue" may also be an "archaic" spelling (in that you don't see it much anymore), it is indeed a valid word (although I'm certain it doesn't appear in an American dictionary). You will find it in Collins, as well as other non-U.S. (hardcopy) publications.

In any case, until FT compiles its OWN dictionary, I don't really see the point in reporting "errors" of this sort. As far as I can tell, FT is accessing one or more online dictionaries (which are FULL of typos). If FT ever DOES make one with no errors, Terry should seriously think about selling it to all those sites out there that refuse to correct their own mistakes LOL.

Edited by Jakeroo (Sun Jul 10 2011 03:38 PM)

#640169 - Tue Jul 12 2011 04:01 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Jakeroo]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Quote:
dust wrapper is related to promotion

dust wrapper means "a paper jacket for a book"

promotion means "a message issued in behalf of some product or cause or idea or person or institution"

I managed to get this one right, but only because they were the only two left. Not sure how one relates to the other, though.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#640177 - Tue Jul 12 2011 05:42 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: ozzz2002]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
They are both, to some extent, related to promoting the sale of the item, I'd say.

#640191 - Tue Jul 12 2011 09:10 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: agony]
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
There is usually some promotional blurb written on a dust wrapper - reviews from critics and other authors plus a brief plot outline, sort of thing. I agree though that it's a stretch the way it's explained.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#640208 - Tue Jul 12 2011 10:00 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: ozzz2002]
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Years ago the dust wrapper of a book used to promote other books by the same author or publisher on the back, where more recently you see a photo of the author. I'd guess that would be the tie-in with promotion.

#641374 - Sat Jul 16 2011 08:32 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: spanishliz]
Cynic1983 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: New Jersey, USA
On today's Mind Melt the definition for "utility" was given as something like "of beef; inferior quality". This definition does not seem to be in the OED, and I'm concerned that it is a bit too obscure, even for this type of quiz.

#641375 - Sat Jul 16 2011 08:50 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Cynic1983]
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I seldom do the food shopping, but I've heard of utility cuts of beef, and would have made the connection, I think. Doesn't seem obscure at all to me.

#641438 - Sat Jul 16 2011 03:03 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: spanishliz]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Athens Georgia USA            

#641456 - Sat Jul 16 2011 04:27 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: abechstein]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
It's not a term that I have ever heard used in the UK

#641466 - Sat Jul 16 2011 05:58 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Snowman]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Athens Georgia USA            
I can believe that; "USDA" is the US Department of Agriculture. I'd be very surprised if the UK used the USDA grading system. I would say that "utility" used in this context is slightly obscure, but no more so than other usages in the game.

#641879 - Tue Jul 19 2011 01:31 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: abechstein]
Cynic1983 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I think the inclusion of both "overuse" and "overstretch" in today's Mind Melt might be a bit confusing. The correct answers were:

overuse - exploitation to the point of diminishing returns
overstretch - strain abnormally; "I pulled a muscle in my leg when I jumped up"; "The athlete pulled a tendon in the competition"

Yet the OED has "to use too much or too frequently; to injure by excessive use" as the primary definition for "overuse", and "to place excessive demands upon (personnel, financial resources, etc.)" as an extended definition for "overstretch".

The use of less common definitions is a key parts of the challenge of the Mind Melt quizzes, but including both of these in the same quiz might be asking users to make overly fine distinctions among definitions that seem to overlap significantly in actual usage.

Just my two cents.

#642413 - Fri Jul 22 2011 09:25 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Cynic1983]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
footwear is related to clothing

footwear means "clothing worn on a person's feet"
clothing means "a covering designed to be worn on a person''s body"

wrapper is related to garment

wrapper means "a loose dressing gown for women"
garment means "an article of clothing"

If all 4 are about clothing, and neither clothing nor garment relate to footwear, then could these two words be too closely related?

Page 10 of 35 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 34 35 >

Moderator:  Terry