Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 26 of 27 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 >
Topic Options
#1028293 - Wed Jan 01 2014 10:06 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
pent2go Offline
Participant

Loc: Ontario Canada
The connection is actually a game error, and not a real connection at all. This is easily verified through online dictionaries.

My other problem is that it doesn't fit any of the hints either.
Juke house is NOT a spiff.
Juke house does NOT contain spiff.
Juke house does NOT have a spiff.

In the end, I just think it's confusing, annoying, and unfair. I think the game would be better off without it...if it's not fixed now, someone else will complain about it later, I'm confident of that.

#1028311 - Wed Jan 01 2014 01:12 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
It is just one example where the connection between options in Part 3 is based on common synonyms (or even, sometimes, on a common word in an example of the word's usage). It seems to be built into the way the game selects matches (whatever that is), because it has been there from the start. Perhaps the hint (which I must say I haven't even read in years) could be reworded to indicate the possibility of that kind of connection.

#1028370 - Thu Jan 02 2014 02:17 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: HairyBear]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: HairyBear
Bigamy is illegal. The punishment is known as trigamy. (Ogden Nash, I think)

I don't get it. confused

#1028407 - Thu Jan 02 2014 09:51 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
MiraJane Offline
Enthusiast

Bigamy & better half. Another interesting pair. And I can see how those two are also paired together be ause they both relate to a concept not stated in the choices or definition, like spliff & juke house relate to joint. Both relate to marriage.

Grace - look up the definition of trigamy. Consider what the prefixes bi and tri usually refer too. Don't think of bigamy as "multiple spouses" and get back to us.

#1029091 - Tue Jan 07 2014 11:56 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
MiraJane Offline
Enthusiast

The definition is cut off -

mal rosso is a disease caused by deficiency of niacin or tryptophan (or by a defect in the metabolic conversion of tryptophan to niacin); characterized by gastrointestinal disturbances and erythema and nervous or mental disorders; may be caused by malnutrition or alco

#1029614 - Sun Jan 12 2014 04:28 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

In Mind Melt today, the word "brewpub" was misspelled as "prewpub". There's no such word as "prewpub", and the correct answer was the definition of "brewpub" (a sort of restaurant and microbrewery). So clearly this is a typo.

#1030252 - Thu Jan 16 2014 07:51 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
glendathecat Offline
Explorer

Loc: Kent UK
Had the following two in my set of possible answers. Meant it was complete guesswork because either of them could have attached to the two words in question.

laborer means "someone who works with their hands"
manual laborer means "someone who works with their hands"

#1030491 - Fri Jan 17 2014 03:26 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Johnsnow Offline
Participant

Loc: Arkansas USA

I'm still trying to figure out how I got these two wrong...

You said: devolve

come along means "develop in a positive way"
regress means "get worse"

You said: regress

recover means "get over an illness or shock"
devolve means "grow worse"

#1031053 - Wed Jan 22 2014 12:59 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
sally0malley Offline
Participant

I just played Mind Melt (Qn set 22) and my score is zero! Has anyone else ever had that problem?

#1031166 - Wed Jan 22 2014 02:23 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
I notice your post is quite near midnight Fun Trivia Time. Maybe you played just before the closing of the set...

#1031375 - Thu Jan 23 2014 04:22 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
maninmidohio Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark Ohio USA               
Set 25 offered up both defence and defense on the left side of the opposite section of the quiz. Since these are alternative spellings of the same word it made it a pure guess which would be correct. I guessed incorrectly.

#1031418 - Thu Jan 23 2014 09:39 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ITSOUNO11 Offline
Participant

Loc: Virgin Islands USA
elicitation is related to stimulant

You said: diversion

elicitation means "stimulation that calls up (draws forth) a particular class of behaviors"

stimulant means "any stimulating information or event"

entertainment is related to diversion
You said: stimulant

entertainment means "a diversion that holds the attention"
diversion means "an activity that diverts or amuses or stimulates"

I Guess it all depends how serious you take life. Most people I know see entertainment as a positive part of life, not a means of diversion.

#1031707 - Sat Jan 25 2014 11:38 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
MiraJane Offline
Enthusiast

take root is become settled or established and stable in one''s residence or life style; "He finally settled down"

In the definition, there is " instead of ' in the word one's.
This was in the first part, if that helps.

#1032180 - Wed Jan 29 2014 08:46 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
monsieurdl Offline
Participant

Loc: Maryland USA
dust jacket is related to publicity

dust jacket means "a paper jacket for a book"
publicity means "a message issued in behalf of some product or cause or idea or person or institution"

There is NO way this could possibly be a reasonable connection. Just because a dust jacket protects a book, does not mean it associates itself inside a book for "a message issued in behalf of some product or cause or idea..." I spent 30 seconds trying to figure out how in the heck this could possibly be associated. UGH!

Edited by monsieurdl (Wed Jan 29 2014 08:49 AM)

#1032184 - Wed Jan 29 2014 09:00 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Dust jackets are often used as publicity either for the books they cover or for other books by the same author. They usually contain some basic information about the author, a synopsis of the book, and recommendations from celebrities or other authors. The blurb is intended as promotional material - in fact the word 'blurb' was coined to refer precisely to material of that sort on a dust jacket - and using the dust jacket for publicity purposes has been a tradition since the early part of the twentieth century, i.e. for the past hundred years.

#1032186 - Wed Jan 29 2014 09:08 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
monsieurdl Offline
Participant

Loc: Maryland USA
You know what? I was thinking about the traditional book cover and not the hardcover dust jacket... I withdraw my objection smile

Edited by monsieurdl (Wed Jan 29 2014 09:08 AM)

#1034025 - Wed Feb 12 2014 12:37 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
finocchio is related to veggie
You said: vegetable
finocchio means "aromatic bulbous stem base eaten cooked or raw in salads"
veggie means "edible seeds or roots or stems or leaves or bulbs or tubers or nonsweet fruits of any of numerous herbaceous plant"
cuke is related to vegetable
You said: veggie
cuke means "cylindrical green fruit with thin green rind and white flesh eaten as a vegetable"
vegetable means "edible seeds or roots or stems or leaves or bulbs or tubers or nonsweet fruits of any of numerous herbaceous plant"

Arghhhh!!!

#1034031 - Wed Feb 12 2014 02:30 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
mehaul Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
I'd have matched the same way based on nick name versus full name:
Cuke and Veggie are brief forms of cucumber and vegetable
while
Finocchio and Vegetable are the full term and not at all shorter forms
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#1034185 - Wed Feb 12 2014 07:00 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
You pick 'em.
Q. 1 - up the stairs
Q. 2 - in a higher place

Answers - below; on a lower floor

#1034192 - Wed Feb 12 2014 08:30 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

If I had to match them, I would put the higher and lower phrases together (for the nice parallel structure), leaving up the stairs and below to be connected. But they could clearly match the other way, too.

#1034194 - Wed Feb 12 2014 08:52 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
That's exactly how I figured it, too. BUT...drumroll...

The opposite of up the stairs is on a lower floor
You said: below

up the stairs means "on a floor above"
on a lower floor means "on a floor below"

The opposite of in a higher place is below
You said: on a lower floor

in a higher place means "in or to a place that is higher"
below means "in or to a place that is lower"

Too close to be put in the same set, I think.

#1034205 - Wed Feb 12 2014 09:38 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

I can see the link the way it was used, too - both relate to travel between floors. That is why I have always hated IQ tests with questions like finding the odd one out - I can often think of more than one way to group them, with a valid difference between one and the other three. Those questions never give you a space to discuss and defend your answer. cry

#1034328 - Thu Feb 13 2014 11:34 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
nautilator Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Today's MM set 27 has two words that have the exact same meaning. I got them right, but that was by chance.

measuring means "the act or process of measuring"
mensuration means "the act or process of measuring"

Both were match-up choices presented in the 3rd section.

#1034345 - Thu Feb 13 2014 02:17 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: darthrevan89]
paul4760 Offline
Participant

Loc: Iowa USA
I'm not sure, but didn't mm define procurer as a "woman pimp"?

#1034721 - Sat Feb 15 2014 10:44 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
TimBentley Offline
Explorer

Loc: Indiana USA
Another pair with identical meanings:

operationalism is related to philosophical doctrine

operationalism means "(philosophy) the doctrine that the meaning of a proposition consists of the operations involved in proving or applying it"
philosophical doctrine means "a doctrine accepted by adherents to a philosophy"

intuitionism is related to philosophical theory

intuitionism means "(philosophy) the doctrine that knowledge is acquired primarily by intuition"
philosophical theory means "a doctrine accepted by adherents to a philosophy"

Page 26 of 27 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 >

Moderator:  Terry