Rules
Terms of Use

Page 27 of 35 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34 35 >
Topic Options
#1039489 - Thu Mar 27 2014 07:29 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Picard25 Offline
Participant

Loc: Austria
I've gotten two nearly identical definitions today ... and naturally got them the wrong way around ... aargh!

gyrus is related to bodily structure

gyrus means "a convex fold or elevation in the surface of the brain"
bodily structure means "a particular complex anatomical structure"

kinetochore is related to body structure

kinetochore means "a specialized condensed region of each chromosome that appears during mitosis where the chromatids are held together to form an X shape"
body structure means "a particular complex anatomical structure"

#1039562 - Thu Mar 27 2014 06:09 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Picard25]
mdurnanj Offline
Participant

Loc: Florida USA
It bit me too, Picard. Eenie meenie ...

#1041029 - Wed Apr 09 2014 06:11 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
The two answer definitions are identical:

rabbit fever is related to zoonotic disease

You said: zoonosis

rabbit fever means "a highly infectious disease of rodents (especially rabbits and squirrels) and sometimes transmitted to humans by ticks or flies or by handling infected animals"

zoonotic disease means "an animal disease that can be transmitted to humans"

lyssa is related to zoonosis

You said: zoonotic disease

lyssa means "an acute viral disease of the nervous system of warm-blooded animals (usually transmitted by the bite of a rabid animal)"

zoonosis means "an animal disease that can be transmitted to humans"

#1041060 - Wed Apr 09 2014 09:21 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Midget40]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Originally Posted By: Midget40

rabbit fever means "a highly infectious disease of rodents (especially rabbits and squirrels)

shocked Rabbits aren't rodents! The very idea. shocked

#1041912 - Mon Apr 14 2014 08:59 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
TimBentley Offline
Explorer

Loc: Indiana USA
Take your pick...

schnaps is related to hard liquor

You said: strong drink

schnaps means "any of various strong liquors especially a Dutch spirit distilled from potatoes"
hard liquor means "distilled rather than fermented"

lacing is related to strong drink

You said: hard liquor

lacing means "a small amount of liquor added to a food or beverage"
strong drink means "distilled rather than fermented"

#1042227 - Wed Apr 16 2014 11:35 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
adam36 Offline
Participant

Loc: Michigan USA
Usually I understand (after the fact of course) where I made mistakes in the subtle difference between words for the word association (part 3) portion, but a couple of issues with today's MM leave me stumped.

Black Tie and Tails were both words and the associations were either Evening wear or Evening clothes. I guessed wrong after flip flopping. Afterwards, I looked up the synonyms for evening wear and found evening clothes was a synonym.

I can see that if you use black tie as style of dress as opposed to the actual black tie, but how does that help to form a distinction between wear and clothes which are also synonyms?

#1042242 - Wed Apr 16 2014 02:10 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
I had the same incident. Buth definitions for evening wear and evening clothes were exactly the same: "attire to wear on formal occasions in the evening".

#1042261 - Wed Apr 16 2014 02:57 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Same here, though I was lucky enough to guess correctly.

#1042270 - Wed Apr 16 2014 03:48 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
It's a matter of inadequate definitions in the dictionary reference. Tails is also called White Tie, and is even more formal than Black Tie, but both can be defined as evening wear. If I got that pairing, I would match wear, a more formal term than clothes, with tails, but it would still just be rationalising a 50-50 guess, and could be wrong.

#1044241 - Thu May 01 2014 11:39 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
nautilator Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
tree is related to hunt down
You said: plant

tree means "chase a bear up a tree with dogs and kill it"
hunt down means "pursue for food or sport (as of wild animals)"

Every single person in my set got this wrong.

#1044712 - Mon May 05 2014 07:56 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
leaving is related to feat

leaving means "act of departing"
feat means "a notable achievement"

I don't quite see how these would be related.

Nor this one, though I guess technically if you fall you change location. ;P

fall is related to locomote

fall means "descend in free fall under the influence of gravity"
locomote means "change location"

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#1044954 - Wed May 07 2014 02:00 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
The "leaving" thing has been evoked quite a few times. Falling as locomotion is a new issue.

#1047378 - Tue May 27 2014 12:49 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ontario Canada
Brilliant! Vein = vena, not vein etc. I'll have to remember that.

vena canaliculi cochleae is related to vein

You said: vena

vena canaliculi cochleae means "vein of the cochlear canal"
vein means "a blood vessel that carries blood from the capillaries toward the heart"

cardinal vein is related to vena

You said: vein

cardinal vein means "any of the major venous channels in primitive adult vertebrates and in embryos of higher vertebrates"
vena means "a blood vessel that carries blood from the capillaries toward the heart"

#1048378 - Sun Jun 08 2014 03:42 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Lpez Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Mexico
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to report this, but on today's Mind Melt, on the third section of the game (Relationships), I stumbled upon the word "predeterminaation", probably a typo. I just wanted to inform whoever needs to know this about it. Thanks! smile

#1048553 - Tue Jun 10 2014 11:25 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
HairyBear Offline
Enthusiast

Absolutely no one went 30/30 on question set 18 today.

#1050477 - Fri Jun 27 2014 04:14 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
A post from site feedback which should be here so it can be fixed:

Quote:

I have just completed "mind melt", and under the definition "Stupification through drink" the answer was Scottishness.

I strongly object to this definition as it is a slur on the whole of the Scottish nation, and this definition should be removed.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Fri Jun 27 2014 04:14 PM)

#1050486 - Fri Jun 27 2014 04:59 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark Ohio USA               
I am wondering if the person who registered the complaint didn't read the answer a bit quickly. Sottishness is a word that means "stupification through drink".

Looney is good at tracking down dictionary sources for mind melt entries, but I could not find a reference to Scottishness and drinking.

#1050491 - Fri Jun 27 2014 06:06 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
I don't know about the veracity of the claim (maybe the Sottishness was actually a wrong answer that just happened to be on the same question). I just forwarded it because it came through a channel where those maintaining the MM database wouldn't see it.

If anyone wants to try and confirm the report, you'd need to play an untimed game - the player had set #4.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Fri Jun 27 2014 06:13 PM)

#1050860 - Mon Jun 30 2014 06:52 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ontario Canada
I just played a game of Word Wizard. It often seems like the database is the same as MM.
5. Sottishness
Your answer: lack of restraint in use of alcohol

I have seen this pairing many times in the game, and with the definitions listed first. I have never seen scottishness. I think the person glanced too quickly.

#1051850 - Tue Jul 08 2014 01:00 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
HairyBear Offline
Enthusiast

LOL@Scottishness!

Question set 19 yesterday had the pairing of itinerary and electron orbit. I managed to get it by process of elimination, but somehow I doubt electrons make itineraries. I almost didn't come here to post it because I figured twelve people would have already complained.

#1054458 - Mon Jul 21 2014 10:42 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
HairyBear Offline
Enthusiast

Looks like everyone except my teammate missed this one in set 19:

polling place is related to spot

You said: edifice

polling place means "a place where voters go to cast their votes in an election"
spot means "a point located with respect to surface features of some region"

bird sanctuary is related to edifice

You said: spot

bird sanctuary means "a building where birds are kept"
edifice means "a structure that has a roof and walls and stands more or less permanently in one place"

Seems to me a polling place is more likely to be an edifice than a bird sanctuary is. A bird sanctuary is more likely to be outdoors, or covered by a net at most.

#1054475 - Tue Jul 22 2014 01:06 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: HairyBear]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: HairyBear

Seems to me a polling place is more likely to be an edifice than a bird sanctuary is. A bird sanctuary is more likely to be outdoors, or covered by a net at most.

According to the laws of New York State, a polling place is not specified as a place with walls and a roof. I skimmed the laws of Texas regarding the issue online and Texas does not specify walls and a roof either. I only have a physical copy of New York State laws at home. Since it is after 3am here, I'm not up for reading the laws of all the U.S. states, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, or any other place right now.

#1054520 - Tue Jul 22 2014 10:48 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: MiraJane]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Originally Posted By: HairyBear

A bird sanctuary is more likely to be outdoors, or covered by a net at most.

I take it you've never been to Slimbridge, Welney, or Arundel to look at the Wetlands Wildlife Trust sites or the many sanctuaries run by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds? Big business, and quite big buildings - you'd need a pretty large net!

#1055655 - Tue Jul 29 2014 11:49 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
butters9 Offline
Participant

Loc: Mississippi USA
A classic from Set 26 today:

pulmonary vein is related to vena

You said: vein

pulmonary vein means "any of four veins that carry arterial blood from the lungs to the left atrium of the heart"
vena means "a blood vessel that carries blood from the capillaries toward the heart"

vena diploica is related to vein

You said: vena

vena diploica means "one of the veins serving the spongy part of the cranial bones"
vein means "a blood vessel that carries blood from the capillaries toward the heart"

I think it's best to guess the opposite on these, since I see that it's happened before.

#1055685 - Tue Jul 29 2014 03:01 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
I got the same one, butters9. I think it is totally random, and they shouldn't appear in the same set.

Edited by shuehorn (Tue Jul 29 2014 03:01 PM)

Page 27 of 35 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34 35 >

Moderator:  Terry