Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 23 of 28 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 27 28 >
Topic Options
#996426 - Sun Jul 14 2013 07:14 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
rossian Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
That one is well worth crying 'foul' over! Not that it will make any difference, of course.

#996464 - Sun Jul 14 2013 02:39 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Tsk! Definitely an unlucky combination; I got it too but had been fortunate enough to have seen Froggy's warning. Thank you, but sorry you had to be the sacrifice. frown

I suppose otherwise all I could have done was put verbaliser down as the answer to both, knowing one would have to be correct, and aim for 29/30...

#996497 - Sun Jul 14 2013 03:39 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: froggyx]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Perhaps there might be some way to write a subroutine that will check for Brit/Am spelling variations and remove and substitute? I know that won't be easy, but I have to say that it seems really dirty pool to force the player to guess which is matched with which.

Originally Posted By: froggyx
Set 25: I only achieved 28/30, but I believe I should be granted all 30 frown

My issue today, in relationships (mixed the following 2 up):

jabberer is related to verbalizer

You said: verbaliser

jabberer means "someone whose talk is trivial drivel"
verbalizer means "someone who expresses in language"

growler is related to verbaliser

You said: verbalizer

growler means "a speaker whose voice sounds like a growl"
verbaliser means "someone who expresses in language"

Not fair! cry

#996534 - Sun Jul 14 2013 04:21 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
So, on one side of the pond, talking about inconsequentials is called trivial drivel while on the other side it's thought of as growling? Makes it sort of a dog eat doggerel world, no?

#996545 - Sun Jul 14 2013 05:09 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
lol mehaul.
Sometimes I think people forget that it's "just a game" : )

#996551 - Sun Jul 14 2013 05:40 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I'd kindly respond but the dog has eaten all my witty gratitudes. smile

#996563 - Sun Jul 14 2013 11:33 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Chavs]
froggyx Offline
Explorer

Loc: Greater Manchester England UK
Originally Posted By: Chavs
Tsk! Definitely an unlucky combination; I got it too but had been fortunate enough to have seen Froggy's warning. Thank you, but sorry you had to be the sacrifice. frown

I suppose otherwise all I could have done was put verbaliser down as the answer to both, knowing one would have to be correct, and aim for 29/30...

no problem, glad at least my post helped you smile

the problem I had with it was, that I was after the green flag yesterday and could've done with the 100-200 points more in Mind Melt - however, in the end, it didn't make a difference, because I would've failed anyway (could've potentially been a problem though) crazy

Edited by froggyx (Sun Jul 14 2013 11:35 PM)

#996899 - Tue Jul 16 2013 03:39 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
tatwood Offline
Participant

Loc: Western Massachusetts USA
thrombocytosis is related to symptom

You said: blood disorder

thrombocytosis means "increase in the number of platelets in the blood which tends to cause clots to form"

symptom means "(medicine) any sensation or change in bodily function that is experienced by a patient and is associated with a particular disease"

So according to the Mind Melt dictionary, thrombocytosis isn't a blood disorder. Hmmm.

#996901 - Tue Jul 16 2013 06:17 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

What did the game say was supposed to match with blood disorder?

#996986 - Wed Jul 17 2013 11:00 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
MiraJane Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: mehaul
What did the game say was supposed to match with blood disorder?

"pounding, throbbing, pulsating headache & increase in blood pressure caused by attempting to figure out Mind Melt definitions."

#997030 - Wed Jul 17 2013 01:35 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
There's a lot of that going around - take two aspirins and play again in the morning.

Seriously, though, it's a matching game, and there are often two definitions that could fit one word, so you have to identify the other word that is to be matched with one of them, and then decide which pairing gives the best fit. This can, of course, be incredibly difficult sometimes, which is the challenge of its game, and part of its fascination.

#997549 - Sun Jul 21 2013 12:42 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
daBomb619 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Olympia Washington USA       
In the Definitions section:

Quote:
pay out is pay out

You don't say.

#997551 - Sun Jul 21 2013 02:45 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
halekotsi Offline
Participant

Loc: South Korea
Yes, but when the clue "make a rattling sound" came up on Word Wizard, the answer was "brattle" and not "rattle." My toes hurt.

#998186 - Tue Jul 23 2013 11:38 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Athens Georgia USA            
This has to be fixed, and for once there's no hidden nuance of meaning to differentiate between the pairings.

On the left:

1. textile
2. cloth

On the right:

mohair
waterproof

Of course I guessed wrong, but I was floored to see the definitions:

textile means "artifact made by weaving or felting or knitting or crocheting natural or synthetic fibers"

cloth means "artifact made by weaving or felting or knitting or crocheting natural or synthetic fibers"

#998300 - Wed Jul 24 2013 02:25 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
twosleepy Offline
Explorer

Loc: Mendon New York USA           
I haven't posted in a while, but this is simply foul:

The opposite of frontward is back
You said: rear
frontward means "at or to or toward the front"
back means "at or to or toward the back or rear"

The opposite of front is rear
You said: back
front means "the side that is seen or that goes first"
rear means "the side that goes last or is not normally seen"

#998358 - Wed Jul 24 2013 09:39 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
HairyBear Offline
Forum Adept

I'm here to whine about the same one... Question Set 16, since twosleepy didn't put it.

#998362 - Wed Jul 24 2013 10:07 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

unfortunate set of circumstances. But you know, everyone in your set had the same playing field ~

It's kind of like when in curling, one team complains about the ice. You can either call it, or not. Or sometimes you just get lucky : ) Hope you both get lucky in the future!

#998600 - Thu Jul 25 2013 07:59 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
twosleepy Offline
Explorer

No good luck, but more bad luck. This one shouldn't even be allowed:

brachiocephalic vein is related to venous blood vessel

You said: vena

brachiocephalic vein means "veins formed by the union of the internal jugular and subclavian veins"
venous blood vessel means "a blood vessel that carries blood from the capillaries toward the heart"

gastroepiploic vein is related to vena

You said: venous blood vessel

gastroepiploic vein means "one of two veins serving the great curvature of the stomach"
vena means "a blood vessel that carries blood from the capillaries toward the heart"

I'm sure you notice that "vena" and "venous blood vessel" have the exact same definition. This is ridiculous, and reduces the game to pure luck rather than skill and speed. Not happy at all... mad

#998609 - Thu Jul 25 2013 09:05 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
HairyBear Offline
Forum Adept

A similar set, but not the same:

selective lipectomy is related to anaplasty

selective lipectomy means "plastic surgery involving the breakdown and suction of fatty tissue"
anaplasty means "surgery concerned with therapeutic or cosmetic reformation of tissue"

thrombectomy is related to extirpation

thrombectomy means "surgical removal of a blood clot (thrombus) from a blood vessel"
extirpation means "surgical removal of a body part or tissue"

That was question set 23. They are not the same, but two obscure -ectomies in one question set seems a bit much. I've never seen "extirpate" used in that sense, either.

As for jakeroo's opinion, that would be fine if we were only measured against people in our own set, but we're not, we're measured against people across ALL the sets. And I agree with twosleepy, LUCK should never be a factor. It always is, can't extirpate that, but we can try.

#998691 - Fri Jul 26 2013 04:54 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Point taken HairyBear, but "all the sets" only applies for a certain badge (I think, but I could be wrong as I'm not really trying for anything particular at the moment). The level of "annoyance" probably depends what a person is going for (perhaps).

I disagree with Luck (or "educated guesses") never being a factor though (otherwise how does one explain lottery wins? or guess the word of the hour for that matter? lol). Call it karma if you would prefer - I'm still sending good vibes to you : )

And I'm quite fond of the "random" factor.

In any case, the dictionary/definitions used in this game (as well as Word whatever) are not owned/maintained by FT, so unfortunately there's not a whole lot of good that can come out of pointing out more than one match that is "too similar", other than the freedom to "vent" (which is FINE with me as I love to vent myself lol, but gosh, it's just a game).

Just wait til you get to the Mind Melt requirements in Ascension (if you haven't already) and then I'll absoLUTEly commiserate with you (giggles).

#998712 - Fri Jul 26 2013 07:22 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
The "across all sets" does apply to getting points for your team in the Mind Melt game, since points are awarded to the top 200 scores made by players in each size division of teams. Nevertheless, it is easier on the blood pressure to shrug it off and hope for better luck in the future than to fume about it. There are filters in place to try and minimise the number of "too close" options, but some still crop up on occasion. Sometimes, stuff happens.

#998771 - Sat Jul 27 2013 06:16 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Ah! that's what it is - not a badge but team points (there are 80 people better than me on our team, that's probably why I've never really worried/thought about it LOL). Anyway, thanks Looney : )

#999396 - Tue Jul 30 2013 11:13 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
twosleepy Offline
Explorer

Ascension?

#999512 - Wed Jul 31 2013 12:54 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland

#999534 - Wed Jul 31 2013 03:38 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Johnsnow Offline
Participant

Loc: Arkansas USA
irridentist is related to exponent

You said: proponent

irridentist means "an advocate of irredentism"
exponent means "a person who pleads for a cause or propounds an idea"

ritualist is related to proponent

You said: exponent

ritualist means "an advocate of strict observance of ritualistic forms"
proponent means "a person who pleads for a cause or propounds an idea"

Um, exponent and proponent mean the same thing, yet I got the two answers wrong. What's the deal? This should never happen...

Page 23 of 28 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 27 28 >

Moderator:  Terry