Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#556543 - Fri Oct 08 2010 06:14 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: bhs63]
trev1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Surrey UK
This is my first attempt at posting a photo here so please don't blame me if it all goes wrong :-)

This should be a photo of a heron, taken today at a local lake in Surrey.

#556549 - Fri Oct 08 2010 06:33 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: trev1]
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
That looks just wonderful, trev! Great shot!

#556569 - Fri Oct 08 2010 09:46 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: spanishliz]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Oh Wow! And welcome to you Trev!

#556600 - Sat Oct 09 2010 02:54 AM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: ren33]
auntie1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Kingsville VIC Australia
Great pictures from everyone. A fine introductory contribution trev1, hope there are more to come!

This is the unusual flower of Kennedia nigricans (dusky coral pea),a vigorous climber endemic to the state of Western Australia.

#556714 - Sat Oct 09 2010 05:32 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: bhs63]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Haven't been "around" much for quite awhile due to family health issues, so I see I have a lot of catching up to do. Not going all the way back to May LOL, so will start with October..

Copago: Love the canola field picture. We're quite familiar with that crop here on the Canadian prairies. For over 2/3 of my life we knew it as rape or rapeseed. Apparently "somebody" decided that wasn't politically correct, so now we use the word canola instead ~. Well composed picture - I especially like the wind machines in it - shows how HUGE they must really be (compared to the large building in the foreground)!

Zorba: Cool plant/flower! Do you know what it is?

Copago (again): I've noticed you've become more "adventurous" with your photo taking of late, including macros. Love the bird pictures. Your magpie is much different than ours. I'll have to take a pic of one here (not usually a popular subject since, here, folks would rather shoot them with a weapon rather than a camera lol)

bhs: you always post lovely photos, but I REALLY love the bougainvillea one - postcard quality! Lovely colours in the rug photo as well.

Mugaboo: that's really odd about the polar bear (not just the fact that he/she doesn't like cold, but Mercedes is a ridiculous name for such a creature LOL). Was the bear a "transplant" from another zoo - like California or something? lol

Satguru: You have a good "eye". I especially like your pictures of gardens and trails - you'd be a great person to go on a walk with : )

Except for one killing frost 3 weeks ago, we're having a surprisingly nice fall. I am shocked that this lady has survived this long. You don't usually see orb weavers OUT of their webs, but this girl has already done her duty by leaving behind a cradle of cold-tolerant eggs in the eaves of the garage that will hatch in the spring. This is Araneus gemmoides , nicknamed the "Jewel" spider due to the Latin name, but more commonly called the Cat-face spider. Personally I think the "face" on the top of the abodomen looks more like a devil, but maybe that's just me lol

#556724 - Sat Oct 09 2010 06:30 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: Jakeroo]
trev1 Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you Liz, Ren and Auntie, I'm glad you liked the heron shot.
I love looking at the different photos on these monthly threads and hope to be able to contribute.

This is an upside down photo of the lake where I chased about after the above heron.

Jakeroo, amazing detail on your spider picture, I almost want to flick it off my computer screen :-)

Auntie, lovely shot of an unusual looking flower. I love the colouring.

#556730 - Sat Oct 09 2010 06:55 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: trev1]
auntie1 Offline
Enthusiast

Jakeroo, I think zorba (Sharon's) flower shot posted October 1st is Clerodendrum paniculatum aka Pagoda Flower. It grows in India, Sri Lanka and Malaysia.

trev1, the light coloured part of my Kennedia is usually a lime/yellow, but this was paler due to gloomy weather.

#556731 - Sat Oct 09 2010 06:57 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: trev1]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
YIKES, I totally missed the second page (not used to the new forum format yet I guess)

Trev1: YOWZAH on the heron. They're my favourite bird - they look (to me at least, but I'm quite an "odd sort" lol) like pterodactyls. I have plenty of pics of great blues, however, I've never gotten a good one of them flying. You DO realize that with those two pictures you've posted, that you've set an extremely high standard now, don't you? lol. Lovvvvvvve the "mirror image" (as well as the bird).

Auntie: That's a flower to die for. Looks like a bird pecking. Is that from your garden? If so, I'd kill for some seeds. I'll barter almost anything (barring dogsleds, igloos and good looking Mounties lol)

#556737 - Sat Oct 09 2010 08:49 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: Jakeroo]
zorba_scank Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mumbai India
Thanks for identifying the flower, Dawn. I had no idea what it was but Pagoda flower seems like an apt name. smile

Beautiful photos, trev1. Welcome to the forums! smile

Dawn, I love seeing pictures of flowers from Australia. Some of them are so different from the ones I've seen elsewhere.

Thanks, Jake and glad to have you back though I haven't been around much myself.

The Hungarian Parliament building

#556820 - Sun Oct 10 2010 06:01 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: zorba_scank]
trev1 Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you Jakeroo - I agree with you herons do look like pterodactyls, particularly when flying. Herons are a great subject to try and photograph but you are right about them being difficult to capture in the air. I'll post my heron doing a pterodactyl impression, (that didn't quite work out), tomorrow.

Zorba, thank you for the welcome. Budapest looks like a beautiful city, one I've wanted to visit for a while now. Anymore Pics :-)

Today was a wonderful Autumn day, perfect for walking.
The photo trys to capture the colours of the trees with the sun shining on the turning leaves.

#556825 - Sun Oct 10 2010 06:41 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: trev1]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Thanks Jakeroo, a few people have done that very thing and come on my photographic walks, it is nicer with company and quite rare in my case.
Welcome trev, and we may overlap on locations sooner or later as I do cover Surrey as well.

Here is the River Thames at Hampton Wick looking over to Kingston.

Edited by satguru (Sun Oct 10 2010 06:50 PM)

UN IPCC

#556832 - Sun Oct 10 2010 07:11 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: satguru]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Is that the Arboretum in your Autumn photo,Trev? I spent many a lovely day there when my mum worked at the University. Makes me wish we had more clearly marked seasons here.

#557000 - Mon Oct 11 2010 01:38 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: ren33]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

This is looking the other way at Kingston Bridge with John Lewis department store behind it.

UN IPCC

#557016 - Mon Oct 11 2010 03:22 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: satguru]
trev1 Offline
Enthusiast

Well spotted Ren, and yes it is the Arboretum in the photo, a wonderful place to spend an afternoon. This time of year is a favourite of mine, simply for the amazing colours of the trees. Very very busy at weekends though. I'll post a photo looking down towards the lake at the Arboretum tomorrow, to show anyone who doesn't know the area.

Thank you for the welcome Satguru, I'm sure at some point I will post a shot of a location you've already posted, but that's one of the things I love about photography, you can have ten people photograph the same subject and end up with ten very different pictures, or ten photos of exactly the same thing.
I'm not too sure :-)

Another photo of my favourite heron, this time looking for lunch. I was amazed to see a fish with its head out of the water, when I reviewed the photo later.

#557034 - Mon Oct 11 2010 07:01 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: trev1]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Trev, one of my favourite topics on Flickr are seeing other people's pictures of places near me. Every one is different and some are recognisable as being a particular person's style. I like to see familiar places the most as they mean so much to me.

UN IPCC

#557051 - Mon Oct 11 2010 08:19 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: satguru]
auntie1 Offline
Enthusiast

Compared with Old Father Thames, The Yarra River is a Cheeky Little Brother!
This is Westgate Bridge, which spans the lower reaches of the Yarra.

The span at the extreme left is the one which collapsed during construction in 1970 with the loss of 35 workmen's lives.

#557142 - Tue Oct 12 2010 04:58 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: auntie1]
trev1 Offline
Enthusiast

Lovely river pictures Auntie and Satguru.

Here is a photo of the lake, looking down towards the boat house, at the Winkworth Arboretum in Surrey.

This photo was taken a few hours ago, with about an hour of light left.

Unfortunately the heron was keeping out of my way today, but lots of ducks following me around.
Guess what's coming tomorrow :-)

Edited by trev1 (Tue Oct 12 2010 05:02 PM)
Edit Reason: Just adding a couple of missed words.

#557163 - Tue Oct 12 2010 08:08 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: trev1]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

A typical suburban bungalow in Golders Green

UN IPCC

#557188 - Tue Oct 12 2010 10:54 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: satguru]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Great photos Trev ... welcome to the photo forums!
Been a tad busy here this week so have been absent.
Thanks for the comments Jakeroo - I'll be interested to see your magpies and the difference in them!

#557305 - Wed Oct 13 2010 10:46 AM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: Copago]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Despite losing all its paint (easily remedied) this is the first speed limit I've come across in Britain with catseyes, there are lots in the old pre 1964 design but not the pre 1953 ones like this. It's at the point where a public road joins a private road so changes back to the normal speed.

UN IPCC

#557346 - Wed Oct 13 2010 02:14 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: bhs63]
Dotb Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oswestry Shropshire UK       
Beacon Fell, the view from the memorial garden.

Edited by Dotb (Wed Oct 13 2010 02:16 PM)

#557390 - Wed Oct 13 2010 05:20 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: Dotb]
trev1 Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Copago - I love your first picture this month, the view is amazing.

Satguru - I'm glad you managed to find and shoot the sign, there can't be too many like that around. I love the luminous green fence in your previous photo - A new trend for Golders Green? :-)

Dotb - What a beautiful view.

Today, a duck.

#557410 - Wed Oct 13 2010 08:01 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: trev1]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

That fence just had to be there didn't it- two houses today had skips on the front drive as well which ruined any chance of a decent picture. It's the second rebuild on the first road though, I have a picture of the first which appears to have clad a bungalow in slate, I couldn't see but the second house in progress may actually have been demolished.

UN IPCC

#557413 - Wed Oct 13 2010 08:25 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: satguru]
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Wonderful photos, everyone. Time I joined in again!

Here are a couple of maple leaves on my front lawn, a sure sign of autumn.

#557561 - Thu Oct 14 2010 02:55 PM Re: Photo a Day October [Re: spanishliz]
trev1 Offline
Enthusiast

A new location today. I seem to remember seeing some pictures of this area in a monthly thread a few months back, hopefully no one will mind a few more :-)

These are the steps leading from the car park up to Frensham Common in Surrey.

I found an interesting photo competition in The Times today. The challenge is to submit a photo of a great British building, bringing out the "Majesty and grandeur of the architecture".
I have not a clue how to go about photographing a grand public building in a way that stands out from the thousands of other photographs that must be taken of the same places everyday, but it sounds like a challenge. I've set part of Sunday aside to try and take a photo I can submit. I will probably post what I manage to photograph, next week.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Copago, flopsymopsy