Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
#557015 - Mon Oct 11 2010 03:15 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK
I can see how the connection was derived, but I'm not convinced that you could arrive at it without the definitions. Clam, to me, meant either the thing you eat or to be quiet, as in 'clam up'.

#557040 - Mon Oct 11 2010 07:16 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: rossian]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Another aspect to clam is when it's so humid, everything gets 'clammy' or sticks together on your body due to perspiration and in that scenario your skin tends to gather together.

__+FORRECEMENT__
__-FORRECEMENT__

Positive and negative reinforcement

#557057 - Mon Oct 11 2010 09:41 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Athens GeorgiaUSA
I think that one's a bit of a stretch... wink

#557067 - Tue Oct 12 2010 04:12 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: abechstein]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill VictoriaAustralia
Originally Posted By: abechstein
I think that one's a bit of a stretch... wink

So it's probably in the database somewhere!

#557136 - Tue Oct 12 2010 03:53 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
In the "Opposite" section, one of the pairs was

The opposite of forte is piano

forte means "used as a direction in music"
piano means "used as a direction in music"

This is correct; however, the definitions used are the same when they should have opposite definitions. Forte should include louder; piano should include softer.

#557440 - Wed Oct 13 2010 11:58 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Buddy1]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

OK, I think I finally found an unequivocal, unarguable error in the database, which we can all agree upon...

------

The opposite of observably is perceptibly

observably means "in an imperceptible manner or to an imperceptible degree"
perceptibly means "in a noticeable manner"

------

These two words are clearly not opposites; if one can observe something it is able to be perceived or noticed. This erroneous definition seems to come from this online dictionary: http://lookwayup.com/lwu.exe/lwu/d?s=f&w=observably#r/360026

I can't find any other dictionary which has this definition. So, can we all agree that the Mind Melt database needs to correct the definition of "observably" to something like "in a noticeable manner"?

#557456 - Thu Oct 14 2010 03:00 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: abechstein]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

The definition of observably cited is absolutely and clearly wrong. (I speak as one who usually defends the quirks as being part of the fun - but the definition is almost exactly the opposite of the word being defined.)

#557493 - Thu Oct 14 2010 06:40 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Loc: Grayslake
IllinoisUSA
The "wrong" definition can also be found in

http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=observably

but I think RhymeZone and LookWayUp are related.

Happy Word Wizard Trivia!
Immortal #4, #8, #15, #18, #6, #6, #5, #5, #4, #7, #4, #12, #15, #48, #26, #19, #__, #__, #16 (GC2-20)
Who Am I? Editor since June 17, 2008 - June 30, 2013

#557533 - Thu Oct 14 2010 11:34 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Just because somebody put it online doesn't make it right.

#557835 - Fri Oct 15 2010 06:30 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Oh I dunno if it's "clearly" wrong, as that would just be how someone "perceives" the definition. For instance, scientific observation vs. average human perception rarely mean the same thing, nor are they frequently talked about in the same context.

#557918 - Sat Oct 16 2010 09:59 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Jakeroo]
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore MarylandUSA
In the definitions section "an accounting procedure or system designed to promote efficiency orassure the implementation of a policy or safeguard assets or avoid fraud and error etc." should have a space between "or" and "assure".

#558012 - Sat Oct 16 2010 07:30 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Julia103]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Jakeroo, I might buy that observation and perception might not always be synonyms, but I just can't see how they can ever be antonyms. If you can observe something (through scientific study or just through ordinary means), it is, by definition, able to be perceived.

#558359 - Mon Oct 18 2010 09:52 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: abechstein]
illiniman14 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Champaign IllinoisUSA
On set 8 for today, the antonyms section included 2 choices: defense and defence. I don't know how anybody could tell the difference between the two, so in essence it's just a flip of the coin.

#558448 - Mon Oct 18 2010 03:55 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: illiniman14]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I got that too, illiman. Got them wrong, too. You're right, it was a flip of the coin. Either answer worked. :-)

#558492 - Mon Oct 18 2010 07:03 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: salami_swami]
WesleyCrusher Offline
Administrator

Loc: Germany
Actually, the system got them WRONG. One of the two options clearly suggests one of the two spellings of "defen*e", but the one marked as correct is the exact other one.

#558543 - Tue Oct 19 2010 04:09 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
glendathecat Offline
Explorer

Loc: Kent UK
plural is related to signifier

You said: alignment

plural means "the form of a word that is used to denote more than one"
signifier means "the phonological or orthographic sound or appearance of a word that can be used to describe or identify something"

#559355 - Fri Oct 22 2010 02:59 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
trev1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Surrey UK

" sodomise is related to copulate

You said: penetration

sodomise means "copulate with an animal"
copulate means "make love" "

Just questioning the content of this question for inclusion in Mind Melt, although it fits within the frame of the game, it wasn't really something I wanted to ponder over my coco pops, or try to explain to my, (Made up), young children before they went to school.

#559400 - Fri Oct 22 2010 08:56 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: trev1]
darthrevan89 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Texas USA
These two are about as interchangeable as it gets:

morning is related to time period
You said: period of time

morning means "the time period between dawn and noon"
time period means "an amount of time"

decennary is related to period of time
You said: time period

decennary means "a period of 10 years"
period of time means "an amount of time"

Edited by darthrevan89 (Fri Oct 22 2010 08:57 AM)

#560026 - Mon Oct 25 2010 11:04 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: darthrevan89]
twosleepy Offline
Explorer

Loc: Mendon NewYorkUSA
Okay, I've taken my hits for this game, and not complained to this point, but when "words" start appearing that aren't even words in the English language (or any?), I bring it here:

STUNNG is aroused to impatience or anger; "made an irritated gesture"; "feeling nettled from the constant teasing"; "peeved about being left out"; "felt really [censored] at her snootiness"; "riled no end by his lies"; "roiled by the delay"

Say what?

#560027 - Mon Oct 25 2010 11:08 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: twosleepy]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton EnglandUK
The word must be 'stung'... clearly typed by someone who had just been stunnnnnnnng!

#560256 - Tue Oct 26 2010 08:42 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
twosleepy Offline
Explorer

Loc: Mendon NewYorkUSA
And another, although I got right by process of elimination:

clue is roll into a ball

This is the definition of "CLEW". Sheesh...

#560266 - Tue Oct 26 2010 10:16 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: twosleepy]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

While I definitely agree that there is an error with "stunng", it seems that "clue" is an accepted variant of "clew".

http://machaut.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/WEBSTER.sh?WORD=clue (1913 Webster's)

http://www.freedictionary.org/?Query=clue

By the way, there are two online dictionaries that have the obvious typo in "stunng"; the Mind Melt dictionary must have drawn from them. This should be the sort of error that's easy to correct.

#560350 - Tue Oct 26 2010 01:57 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
DGirlSlim Offline
Learning the ropes...

umlaut vs. diaeresis

Definition of UMLAUT
1a : the change of a vowel (as \\ to \&#275;\ in goose, geese) that is caused by partial assimilation to a succeeding sound or that occurs as a reflex of the former presence of a succeeding sound which has been lost or altered b : a vowel resulting from such partial assimilation
2: a diacritical mark placed over a vowel to indicate a more central or front articulation compare diaeresis

Definition of DIAERESIS
1: a mark placed over a vowel to indicate that the vowel is pronounced in a separate syllable (as in nave or Bront) compare umlaut
2: the break in a verse caused by the coincidence of the end of a foot with the end of a word

The definition given for today is for umlaut, not diaeresis. Although they are both two small dots over a letter, they perform a different function.

#561036 - Fri Oct 29 2010 01:16 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: DGirlSlim]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK
Here's another for abechstein's list of odd 'provide' matches:

Terrace is related to provide. 'Terrace' means 'provide (a house) with a terrace'. 'Provide' means 'provide or furnish with'.

I did get it right, as it was the only option left, but it isn't really a match.

#561305 - Sat Oct 30 2010 08:02 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: rossian]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Illinois USA
running away is related to feat

You said: rate

running away means "leaving (without permission) the place you are expected to be"
feat means "a notable achievement"

I don't see how "leaving without permission" could be considered "a notable achievement".

Page 2 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 ... 27 28 >

Moderator:  Terry