Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1028049 - Mon Dec 30 2013 10:13 AM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA

My micro-printing needs practice as this x20 mag indicates. But the sentiment is at 100%.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Dec 30 2013 11:20 AM)

#1030108 - Wed Jan 15 2014 03:03 PM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I'm a little rusty from a holiday break so I figured a nice rectangular brilliant cut Lab grown Sapphire (no, not my Secret Laboratory but one in India) specimen wouldn't present too much of a challenge to image. 'Twasn't that easy. My first view had all the oily streaks that account for fingerprints on it. I wiped it with a previously wetted but now dry paper towel, you know. the kind that feel really dry to the point of being dusty? This specimen, being lab grown, doesn't have any inclusions. All those tiny white dots are pieces of cellulose from the towel and I failed to erase the oil streaks completely. I could have gotten my lens cleaning chamis to wipe it down but the dust is interesting dang it! This is a times 30 magnification. It is mounted atop a Hershey's Kisses sized and shaped hunk of plumber's putty to hold it square to the scope lens. You can see parts of four of the scope's lights around the bottom of the face of the stone, giving a measure of how out of perpendicular the image is looking into the material. Through most of the non-face peripheral facets you can see how clear the 3 1/4 ct of material is. It is a good piece to compare a rectangular brilliant cut with the plain rectangular faceting done on the Aquamarine colored spinel of a few postings ago. I think I can improve on the pose mounting into the putty too. I might try making four tiny putty posts to rest the stone in rather than plunging the pavilion straight into it and blocking the bottom light entry.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Jan 15 2014 09:51 PM)

#1032113 - Tue Jan 28 2014 11:43 PM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

The delay in posting runs something like this, heck it is like this. I bought a 4.85ct average weight 12x10 oval brilliant cut color change Zandrite from Sri Lanka. Under fluorescents its a beautiful peachy orange and in the sunlight it shifts to a nice pale lavender color. I so loved its size, shape and color athleticism that I decided it would be nice to have a matched pair. So I ordered another under the same description. That word 'average' in the weight meant that even though it would be a calibrated 12x10mm oval, the depth of the pavilion could vary, a deeper stone bringing a heavier carat weight and vice versa. Another possible flunking grade could go to mismatch in the colors. Finally the second arrived and I present the pair here. Please excuse the difference in color look; they are slanted in different angles, but are a wonderful matching orange side by side to the naked eye. Since my microscope's LEDs are of two wavelengths, I think one of them is triggering some of the purple light to emerge from the stones, moreso on the righthand one.
This image has them mounted in the plumber's putty at x15 magnification (hinting at how large a stone each is.
Up next: I try to see how the polarizing lens off my old SLR camera effects the reflections of light off highly sharp angle crystals like drusey quartz and pyrites. I need to made a stand to set the filter on that would set it between the scope and the object. A cut and reformed aluminum can ought to do the trick.

#1033714 - Mon Feb 10 2014 01:41 AM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Nothing expensive or dear to this one. It's just the cap of my ballpoint on the non-business end of the pen (and a black dot on the white paper background below the cap, sorry). It's just a cap and yet, there's so much engineering that went into its creation. The black of the pen body is seen in the upper right. A color ink indicator piece of black plastic is fused into the clear plastic of the cap body on the lower end. The short, bright lines just north of the indicator piece are molded holders of a soft spongy insert where the pen point sits when the cap is in place as a cap. I guess that insert (which is white, not clear preventing a view of the short bright lines that are on the far side of the cap) is to stop any ink flow out of the ink reservoir when not in use. In my earlier Happy New Year photo you can see the pen ball socket has been equally well engineered so leaks probably won't happen but good design calls for anticipating most possible failure modes and designing against them. As a purely artistic note, I love the way springiness was given to the clip part by using a cross-section shape of two different radii hyperbolic curves which allows the materially rigid plastic to distribute the flex stress along a much larger area than if two matching curves had been used.

On the polarized filter mount front I can report this progress: I removed the filter from the old camera (and got a 'sky' filter to boot - how that'll mix with the scope will be found out later); found a can top that it nearly perfectly fits; cut out the material of the can top with a can opener (! - some design tools can be found in kitchen drawers); have settled on a design for the side stands that will safely allow varying the height of the stand (affecting that aspect safely will require rolling the edges of the cut can to prevent lacerations and yet allow bending of the formed legs to account for wideness (footprint) for larger objects and setting the right height of the filter in the image pathway.

#1034271 - Thu Feb 13 2014 07:09 AM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I had planned to post this in the Shiny theme thread of the month. But my week wait from last posting puts me to the 15th, one day too late. So here it is: my Claddagh ring. Worn on the right hand and with the heart pointed out. Happy St. Valentine's Day.

Edit to add: See also the post in this thread of Oct 23, 2013.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Feb 13 2014 08:25 AM)

#1035114 - Wed Feb 19 2014 07:03 AM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

In yet another break from building my Polarized Filter Microscope Mount/Stand, I made a paper mount for a gem pic. I took a four inch square piece of note paper, folded the corners in by an inch at 90 degrees which set the surface plane of the paper 1 inch above another flat piece of the same paper, then easy folded the center area and took a crescent shaped bit out with some scissors (I took great effort not to run with them!). This allows me to sit a stone onto the slot and only a minimum of foreign material touches the stone. I also can light up the bottom piece of paper as a lit background by shining a flashlight into that 1 inch gap between the paper pieces. In this image you can see the thin edge of paper to the right, lower side of the jewel and the lit piece of paper below being lit by a different wavelength of white is seen in that triangular opening. This was my first try so I erred in the size opening I made. I used it this time but will try to make a better fit in the future. I will save this one for larger stones (don't want to waste paper)
Oh, the stone and image data - It is a 0.70ct, oval, Portuguese cut, 7x5mm Pink Tourmaline. I wanted the pink of a female Easter bunny dress and had gotten a pink Morganite that was way too pale to show its pink so tried the Tourmaline and am very pleased in the color presentation. The overall, un-spotlighted color can be seen in the upper left quadrant's pink pentagon shaped facet reflection. Its picture is taken at x40 magnification with scope LEDs and bottom lit indirectly (mostly, there is some side direct lighting above and below the mount plane) and from the image top with an LED Flashlight.
Does anyone have a clue to what the vendor meant by Portuguese cut?

Edit: The source location for the Tourmaline is listed simply as India. Sorry I can't be more specific to its collection history. Also I'd like to opine that this mounting method, which allows more light to enter the cut stone and from more angles with minimum shading from the actual holding structure, allows more of the sparkle to emerge into the photo, showing more of the effects of facet reflection.

Edit2: Some email exchanges with Jewelry Television (the stone's vendor) revealed that it was mined in Mozambique and shipped to India for cutting and polishing.
Also, their representative passed on this info about 'Portuguese' cut - Portuguese Cut: There are many variations of the Portuguese cut. It originally referred to round stones with 96 facets on the pavilion and 81 facets on the crown for a total of 176. There are variations with fewer facets but still far more than the 58 of a standard round brilliant typical of diamonds. - So there has been almost twice as much work put into this tiny stone than a similar sized diamond with a 'brilliant' cut. No wonder it sparkles so much.

Edited by mehaul (Fri Feb 28 2014 08:10 AM)

#1035309 - Fri Feb 21 2014 04:32 AM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

The paper mount minus the Tourmaline and without the backlighting. The tiny dots seen to the lower right of the slit in both images makes me think that for some images a calibrated scale would be a nice addition/enhancement.

#1035738 - Mon Feb 24 2014 09:43 AM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

This is the pale pink Morganite rough I got from Amethyst Galleries to go with the pale pink Morganite cut and polished gem I got from jtv. The Morganite crystal is the darker sweep area across the right, a third of the way down from the top and with some white slashes pointing to the crystal apex toward its left. The magnification is at x40. The rough was collected from the Urucum Mine, Galileia, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
With a naked eye exam of the stone shows a nice pale pink, possibly 1 ct Morganite. You can see some pink in those mentioned slashes. I saw a flash of green in it! At one angle almost a quarter of the crystal reflects green light. I couldn't get the thing lined up right under the microscope but did find these two glints of green from it in generally the same area. You may have to zoom in to see the two spots but they are at the top left of the crystal and then below that one at the bottom edge of the crystal just to the left of where a bit of host rock crosses over the bottom of the Morganite. The green to me reminds me of opal green which then makes me wonder if some H2O is trapped on the backside of the stone against the host rock because there is no way I should see green out of a pink Morganite. Another possibility is that there are two Morganite crystals sandwiching the water.
Please forgive that this isn't a great sharp image of the entire mineral specimen. The task was to capture some of the green out of a pink Morganite and there is some success in that effort.

#1036398 - Sun Mar 02 2014 06:05 PM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I purchased a matched pair of 6mm round green Apatite, about 0.7ct each. They are said to be cut in a 'Flower' cut. Like the Pink Tourmaline its history is: found in Madagascar and shipped to India for cutting and polishing. They do sparkle but with lances of flash rather than the mini-points with the Portuguese cut.
I made a mount out of paper like I did for the Tourmaline and side/bottom lit the stones. It brought out the pavilion cutting very nicely. The table top of the stone looks like a Brilliant cut (I will show it tomorrow), so it has a nice octagonal window to look into to see the pavilion reflections. The grassy pale green of the mineral is lost a bit through the magnification process (x22 in these images).
For some reason the image makes me think of Colorado! Maybe they should have called the cut a 'Leaflet' cut instead. Sure resembles Cannabis leaves.

#1036541 - Mon Mar 03 2014 08:17 PM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

This is the top lit view. There is still bottom lighting but the eight LEDs of the scope overpower the indirect lighting from under the paper mount. You can sense the green color better in this view. I can make out the openings I cut in the paper mount for the stones to sit in, They are a different shape than I used for the Tourmaline. Fun time: can you guess what the cut paper shape is? Tune in tomorrow to find out.
Mixing the two photos gives a good idea of how pretty the jewels are in the daylight.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Mar 03 2014 08:20 PM)

#1036623 - Tue Mar 04 2014 10:16 AM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Any lucky guessers? In trying to focus the paper I reduced the magnification to x20 so this photo won't overlay the other two exactly. I had thought of using a round punch but that is buried in the back of one of my toolbox drawers. The carton knife was handy and easily poked the eight slits needed to cut the openings. I did experience 'chads' just like in the 2000 election here in Florida. If I'd had the microscope back then, I might have picked up some spare change taking picks for the Board of Elections recording chads.
While pondering if I could have faired better with the photos if the holes were round, I thought that in this case maybe turning the stones upside down and on their tables might show the glimmering better...

#1036872 - Wed Mar 05 2014 06:35 PM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Dang! Here's the green Apatite round flower cut stones posed sitting on their tables (top facet) against a white piece of paper. I will place them on a black background but I don't think you'll see that shot posted here. It will probably show the microscope's ring of 8 LEDs reflection like this one does. I cannot seem to catch the neat glimmer these stones have. Maybe a side shot? Maybe they have to be rotated to align with the LEDS?

Edit: Or Table down, bottom lit? That would mean designing another paper mount with round openings... off to the toolbox.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Mar 05 2014 07:42 PM)

#1037102 - Fri Mar 07 2014 05:06 PM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I went to black cloth background, stones resting on the sides of their pavilions (that keeps the LED reflections to a minimum) and side lit by flashlight LEDs. The pavilion points are aimed downward; the upper stone's point toward the lower right corner; and, the lower stone's point toward the lower left corner. The green color seems more noticeable with the black background. The side lighting is almost straight into the right-hand stone so a lot of that light passes through out the pavilion point. I must be careful these things don't LASE on me!
There's just the straight into the sides with a white paper mount left to look at.

#1038246 - Mon Mar 17 2014 10:00 PM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

This is my Saint Patrick's Day posting. It is precious to me. My mother and niece vacationed in Ireland thirty years ago and brought this back to me. It is a Claddagh ring themed tie bar, by Solvar Ltd of Dublin and purchased at Blarney Woollen Mills.
The image is at x10 magnification. The illumination is from a new source I recently acquired. A bank of 28 LEDs mounted on a convex reflector field, powered by 3 AA batteries from Bell & Howell called a Torch Light. The stack of LEDs is arrayed in a field measuring 3 inches high by 1.5 inches wide. It produces a large field of nice white light.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Mar 18 2014 01:13 PM)

#1042156 - Wed Apr 16 2014 05:06 AM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

The Engagement ring I was lucky to have returned. No, not in the material sense but in the commitment sense. If she still had it, we might be married and she'd still be running around with other men. We parted ways and she returned it to me. I had had the center stone, a 0.75 carat brilliant cut, perfect in the 4 Cs diamond. I wanted her to have a full carat so I added the two 0.125 ct baguettes on either side, mounted in yellow gold with the center stone in a traditional 4 prong mount and the baggies in box mounts. Perfect Cs baggies are easy to find. The underside of the rectangles is open, allowing the stones to be seen through and that assembly is mounted above the ring surface. They look like two light wands in mangers on either side of the main stone. Since the sides of the main stone are open, the light from the two side stones reflects up into it.
When it was put together. I had the center stone shot with a laser and the refracted beams output the far side recorded on film and that pattern registered. That was a neat process to witness. They square up and center the table of the stone to the laser and put a black sheet behind it. They move the laser back and forth to get the best focus, record that distance and then insert a polaroid sheet in the back and capture the image. Now I imagine they just write a microscopic number on the girdle.

#1042445 - Thu Apr 17 2014 08:21 PM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

A pair of Russian Chrome Diopside Rectangular Cushion cut, 0.85 ct, 7x5 mm, cut and polished in China. The vendor says the mineral is mined out and they were lucky to obtain these from the Chinese market which is a growing market. I decided on trying to get a matched pair by ordering 2 ea. of a single item. I think they match quite well. Usually the break in gem costs hit in at the 1 ct mark. I feel I got a deal with these slightly lighter than a carat each pair. I don't think any Chrome Diopside will be coming directly from Russia to the USA for some time even if they should find more. I think this pair will be a great investment.
The microscope was set to x20 magnification. I used the mount shown earlier with the two square holes in them so they'd sit upright for the camera. You can get a sense of their size that way too. They really look like 1 carat specimens!

#1044008 - Wed Apr 30 2014 01:15 PM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

This reminds me of some of the images we've seen lately about the view from aircraft looking for floating debris. But, here's a chance to check the color presentation of your viewing devices. This is Turquoise. The parallel white lines on the right two quadrants are artifacts of the sawing process used to expose this face of the stone. They probably existed across the whole face but were polished away for the most part. The white calcite(?) vein in the 8:00 position reminds me of a lobster. I've seen albino and turquoise lobsters at the New England Aquarium. Does anyone know if they're still there?
This is TUR-49 from the Amethyst Galleries catalog, magnified x40 under the microscope's built-in LEDs. The stone was collected at Turquoise Mountain, Globe, Arizona. On one side there is what appears to be a white bacillus growing on the side. Under the microscope it turns out to be just some of the white mineral populating the stone's exterior.

#1044026 - Wed Apr 30 2014 01:52 PM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Here is the "colony" of growth out the TUR-49's side. I thought calcite but knowing the formula for turquoise is CuAl6(PO4)4(OH)84H2O, I now tend toward the idea that the tiny crystals are a Phosphorous mineral of some sort (the radical PO4 of the overall turquoise?). A Phosphate salt could be what's grown on the side where some moisture reacted with the interior Phosphate and blossomed a growth of a salt form.

#1045577 - Mon May 12 2014 08:37 PM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

A nice 1cm square cushion checkerboard cut, 3.25ct Moldavite. I wanted to get a pair of these (seeing that all my double buys seem to match well lately) for maybe someday making a pair of cufflinks. But in this time frame the vendor wasn't giving a deal on S&H so I figured I'd go back next month for a second one. I got a notice of a shipping deal from them and went to get that second stone. Oops, they're out of stock. I'll have to go to other vendors to find a match. Moldavite doesn't vary in color much so a calibrated 1cm square ought to be easy to find. It's the checkerboard cut that'll probably be impossible to match. Maybe I'll get to rectangular cuts for cufflinks and use this for a tie pin. Ugh, ties.
The image is at x25 under the 'scope's LEDs. The stone is from the Czech Republic and cut in India. Upon zooming into the bright spots in the image, you can see the typical bubbly stretch marks/striations that identify Moldavite from green glass. That structure was induced into the stones as they fell to Earth and stretch and engulfed air into the molten mix of an asteroid's explosion on impact and hurling much olivine material into the upper atmosphere. That makes it what is called a tektite.

Edited by mehaul (Tue May 13 2014 04:39 PM)

#1060768 - Fri Aug 22 2014 02:20 PM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Of the cut and polished minerals that entertain us with their beauty (and to some, attraction is for monetary value), I find Strontium Titanate to be the most beautiful. The refraction is such that white light is broken out prismatically into its rainbow constituents from what seems like more than the interior surfaces it has to reflect off of. It has orders of magnitude more sparkle than does Diamond.
These are a matched pair of Orchid colored (a tad bluer than lavender) 6 mm rounds of 1.25 ct each. The mineral in this case is laboratory created in China. The fingerprint oils were manufactured here in Florida. Sorry, I used my fingers to pick them up and place them on the two hole paper stand for imaging.
One of my dear childhood memories it being given access to one of my mother's single earrings whose partner had been lost. I removed two tiny (probably 1/4 cart each) Strontium Titanate stones. On my wooden Duncan Yo-Yo in the exterior spin center on each side I bored two cone shaped craters and glued the gems in place. I had learned to do the "sleeper" trick on the toy and could hold the spinning jewels up to eye level and gaze for long periods as they spun and changed colors. Didn't take too much to distract a simple mind. Yo-Yo's gone. Those Strontium Titanates are gone. All that remains is the simple mind.

#1060992 - Sat Aug 23 2014 11:54 AM Re: Digital Microscopy [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

This is the upper right hand stone from the image above. The earlier was done at 25x magnification. This view is at 45x. A little more of the color flashes can be seen here.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Copago, LeoDaVinci, ren33