Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 3 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
#561309 - Sat Oct 30 2010 08:08 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: DireWolf74]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
A reluctant bridegroom, perhaps? smile

I cannot see a link, either.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#561327 - Sat Oct 30 2010 09:00 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: ozzz2002]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
ozzz, I think you've seen the movie "Runaway Bride" a few times too many.

#563842 - Mon Nov 08 2010 02:09 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: DireWolf74]
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
I've had the time period one. The two clues were "Time period" and "Period of time" and the answers were "Week" and "Century". I made a lucky choice but I really can't see any difference between the two.

#564007 - Mon Nov 08 2010 04:10 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: supersal1]
ArlingtonVA Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Virginia USA
Originally Posted By: supersal1
I've had the time period one. The two clues were "Time period" and "Period of time" and the answers were "Week" and "Century". I made a lucky choice but I really can't see any difference between the two.

I just had those choices in my set. But I guessed wrong. That's life. smile

#564114 - Mon Nov 08 2010 11:35 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: ArlingtonVA]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Athens Georgia USA            
Since I haven't gotten very many questionable entries, I guess it was time... In retrospect, I should have relied on the process of elimination, but just because I can eliminate all other possibilities doesn't make this a proper match.

------

scrounge is related to hunt down

You said: collection

scrounge means "collect or look around for (food)"
hunt down means "pursue for food or sport (as of wild animals)"

------

I don't really see how "collection" isn't the best answer here; "collect" even is used in the definition for "scrounge".

#564246 - Tue Nov 09 2010 12:04 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: abechstein]
mike32768 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Upstate NY, USA former LIer
Opposites (Antonyms)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The opposite of tie in is decouple

You said: disjuncture

tie in means "make a logical or causal connection"
decouple means "regard as unconnected"

The opposite of connection is disjuncture

You said: decouple

connection means "the state of being connected"
disjuncture means "state of being disconnected"

#564277 - Tue Nov 09 2010 12:43 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: mike32768]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
These words are certainly similar, but if you consider parts of speech, the two nouns are matched, as are the two verbs. The stated pairing is clearly, although slightly, better than the reverse.

#564293 - Tue Nov 09 2010 01:10 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Belgium
bobble is related to miscarry

You said: trait

bobble means "make a mess of, destroy or ruin"
miscarry means "be unsuccessful"

This one might be offensive to pregnant people.

#564305 - Tue Nov 09 2010 02:00 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
JanIQ, I'd posted about that on the previous page. I'm not pregnant and both my pregnancies were 'successful', but I still think it's insensitive.

#564351 - Tue Nov 09 2010 04:20 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: supersal1]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
The problem is that, however painful the one meaning is, it's not the only definition of the word. Have you never heard of a 'miscarriage of justice', for example?

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#564372 - Tue Nov 09 2010 05:19 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: skunkee]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
I agree with skunkee. Also, the words are not supposed to equal each other's definition; they are just related. It'd be unfortunate if someone became upset by it, but I'm sure there are plenty of entries that could potentially upset different people.

#564404 - Tue Nov 09 2010 08:22 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: DireWolf74]
ArlingtonVA Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Virginia USA
Originally Posted By: DireWolf74

I don't see how "leaving without permission" could be considered "a notable achievement".

"Escape from Alcatraz"? wink

#565990 - Sat Nov 13 2010 09:55 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: ArlingtonVA]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
Just got a set with both 'Unfairness' and 'Unjust' as answers in the Antoym section today. The word to match up was 'fair'

Fairly interchangeable I would think but I was particularly surprised when I got:

The opposite of fair is unjust

You said: unfairness

Pretty sure that when you put 'un' in front of a world that they are exact antonyms of each other.

Think the two answers should be in different sets!

Edited by Midget40 (Sat Nov 13 2010 10:00 AM)

#566222 - Sun Nov 14 2010 07:38 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Midget40]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Belgium
You should consider the type of word. A name can be an antonym of other name, but not of an adjective.

This reasoning also applies to the synonym part, but not necessarily to the relations part. That's why many people find the relation part more difficult.

#567465 - Wed Nov 17 2010 09:18 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
darthrevan89 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Texas USA
This is one of those that I should've gotten through elimination, but I really can't see the connection (maybe my brain just hasn't woken up yet?). It was in the Relationships section:

equivalent is related to knowledge

equivalent means "a person or thing equal to another in value or measure or force or effect or significance etc"
knowledge means "the psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning"

#567525 - Wed Nov 17 2010 11:42 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: darthrevan89]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I took it that to make things equivalent, you needed knowledge of the items, without the knowledge, you cannot relate things. But that relation was forced because I haven't any knowledge (He He He)
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#567675 - Wed Nov 17 2010 04:23 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
deputygary Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Dakota USA
akvavit
sambuca

One was defined as liquor. The other was defined as liqueur.

What is the difference?

#567771 - Wed Nov 17 2010 05:24 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: deputygary]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

According to eHow.com:

"Liquor is a distilled alcoholic beverage sometimes used as a base ingredient for the production of liqueur. Liqueur infuses flavoring agents and has added sugar syrup. Liqueur has a weaker alcoholic proof than liquor. Both fall under the category of spirits."

My dictionary also lists them separately without referring to the other. "Liqueur" is a sweet alcoholic drink, while "liquor" is a distilled alcoholic drink - not much difference there, but still, I'd expect them to be cross-referenced if they meant the same thing. I'm quite surprised as I always thought the spellings were interchangeable.

#567783 - Wed Nov 17 2010 05:37 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: reeshy]
deputygary Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Dakota USA
Thanks, reeshy. I always thought them interchangeable myself. And in fact my reference states that liqueur is distilled from fruits but now some liquors also are fruit-flavored so any difference there might have been has become pretty minor. With that in mind it doesn't seem right that liqueur and liquor should both appear in the same set of questions.
No one should read this as a gripe about my score. There are bigger concerns in the world than a score on some FT game or quiz.

#567785 - Wed Nov 17 2010 05:40 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: deputygary]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

I agree that the answers should probably not be together in a set!

#567795 - Wed Nov 17 2010 06:02 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: reeshy]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
As a former bartender, I can't see ever mixing these up - they are as different as, say, lager and ale.

#567796 - Wed Nov 17 2010 06:11 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Actually, the way I put that was a little misleading. Liqueurs are a kind of liquor, but not all liquors are liqueurs.

An analogous entry would be "Finnegans Wake" = book while "Superman" = comic book. If all you had was "Superman" and "book", you could put the two together, but once the much more precise subcategory that it clearly belongs in appears, and when there is another word that fits the larger category so well, there's no doubt what the right answer is.

#567896 - Thu Nov 18 2010 01:50 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: agony]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I've always considered them two different entities. Liqueurs are usually drunk at the end of the meal, and have a specific meaning. You also get them in chocolates, especially at this time of year - it's the present you buy for your great aunt when you can't think of anything else (she either gets tipsy or gives them to the charity shop, but it's the thought that counts, isn't it?).

#568023 - Thu Nov 18 2010 12:45 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: rossian]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

I guess being a young teetotaller partly explains why I had no idea! I actually thought one might be UK spelling while the other was US. Even here on the forum FT does its job of teaching new things! laugh

#568030 - Thu Nov 18 2010 01:15 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: rossian]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Originally Posted By: rossian
You also get them in chocolates, especially at this time of year - it's the present you buy for your great aunt when you can't think of anything else (she either gets tipsy or gives them to the charity shop, but it's the thought that counts, isn't it?).

Excuse me but... I have been a great-aunt since I was 21 years old! If any of my (many) great-nieces and -nephews even think about giving me liqueur chocolates, they know where I shall deposit them - and it won't be the charity shop! whistle

Page 3 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 27 28 >

Moderator:  Terry