Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#446208 - Sun Nov 29 2009 06:30 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: MadMags]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
We had a very hot, dry summer, so the garden is only recovering at present. The amaryllis plants are always so rewarding, and are blooming now. We have lots of gerbera as always. I give these last two plenty of room and care as they are so brave.

#446209 - Mon Nov 30 2009 06:29 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jabberwok]
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Western Australia
Got mainly bottlebrush, banksias, grevilleas and melaleucas to bring birds into the garden.
My veges survive on my washing water - tomatoes, capsicum & pumpkins, plus what are called jam melons. The strawberries are nearly ripe, the parrots are massacring the apricots, and the mulberries should be right for Xmas.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

#446210 - Mon Nov 30 2009 08:59 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: tezza1551]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Man you all make me jelous! I would be cooking jam until it came out of my ears if I had your fruit.

#566962 - Tue Nov 16 2010 06:39 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: janetgool]
funnygirl Offline
Participant

I only have a balcony! So my small garden consists of herbs like basil, oregano, pairsley...and some flowers that my new found stray kitten has his eye on!

#566978 - Tue Nov 16 2010 08:45 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: funnygirl]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Mid November on the Canadian prairies? Rock hard frozen ground with a little skiff of snow on it, and dead branches poking through. We've been having a gorgeous late fall, but it's still winter here now, or at least what most of you would consider winter (we're revelling in our good luck - I still haven't brought out the snow shovels, and haven't had to plug my car in once.)

#567009 - Tue Nov 16 2010 10:52 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: agony]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
I think that the 70's in November made up for the 40s in June, but we still haven't had enough snow or rain yet. We added four peach trees and a plum tree to the orchard. People kept asking for my Christmas wish list, since I couldn't come up with anything I put my fruit plants and seeds on it. Happy gardening for those in warmer parts of the world!

#567152 - Tue Nov 16 2010 03:36 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
C30 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Lancashire England UK         
Living just 1/2 mile from coast, what little top soil there is, gets mixed with sand and blown away......bit like being UK answer to "Arkansas Dustbowl". So what is growing? Answer, very little. Havn't tried Cactus though, might do well!
Originating from the fertile East Anglian farmlands, I do find gardening here a very frustrating occupation!

#567328 - Tue Nov 16 2010 08:21 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: C30]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I just planted 40 big pom-pom orange Marigolds in a thirty foot front border. I want bright red Salvia to go behind them but they are dang hard to come by (Darn kids wanting to smoke or tea the leaves). I may have to grow my own but they'll be way behind in growth. Hmmm, I could do a succession planting of the Marigolds around February to peak with the home grown Salvia (red wanted but purple would do on a thirty foot line with the orange.) but I need something with color that'll get to 1-2 ft high now (Verbena? haven't seen any in the garden centers). The fuscia/red Bog'villa in the middle rear is coming into cloud like blossoming which should last until next March. I just cut down a six foot high Monstrous cut leaf Philodendron plant (four babies growing). The woody stem/stock weighs about 150 pounds and is almost ten inches in diameter. The leaf pattern in the wood is like bird's eye maple, Now I need to find homes for the babies. Anyone care to adopt a huge house plant? The leaves get to two feet long!

#568160 - Thu Nov 18 2010 10:59 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
humbugs Offline
Participant

Loc: Adelaide South Australia      
Veggie garden has taken off like you would not believe! Rocket, bok choy, cucumbers [apple and burpless], and shallots are just about ready for the first picking. Eggplant, corn, chilli, capsicum, radishes are all doing well. Pumpkin, watermelon, and canteloupes are all about to take off around the backyard. Dwarf beans, snow peas, strawberries and celery all doing well but still a way to go before picking. Tomatoes [4 different types] all flowering but not fruiting yet. All this on severe water restrictions, so a lot of hand watering from the whopping great rainwater tank I have. Oh yep, rhubarb was grand this year and the cherry tree looks to produce quite well if I can keep the local birds [and kids] away from it. The veggie patch is interspersed with marigolds and tansy to keep the pests away and quite near to a hedge of italian lavender and row of fragrant roses which are in full bloom. Quite spectacular! Methinks I like the garden a little too much!

#568301 - Fri Nov 19 2010 01:52 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: humbugs]
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Buenos Aires Argentina       
You're all making me jealous as well! Hehe. Humbugs, how nice that you can grow all those beautiful vegetables and flowers smile I would love to have a little garden, but I live in a building and although there's a balcony in the apartment that's not small at all, it's not big enough to have a garden. My mom does have some beautiful plants though.

Gardens are so pretty to look at!

Edited by minkpenny (Fri Nov 19 2010 01:53 PM)

#568406 - Fri Nov 19 2010 07:27 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: minkpenny]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Minkpenny, there are benefits beyond the pleasure of viewing the garden. There is a sense of accomplishment to having been responsible for some growth. Even living in an apartment shouldn't deprive you of that reward. Look around your community for opportunities to brighten a dreary corner somewhere and take responsibility for its nurture (Ask permission first of course). Some churches up here run community gardens where help is always available and space available too. You just have to go out of your way to get there usually. Again, look around for opportunities. Civic organizations also like to do sprucing up with plantings. Good luck.

#568421 - Fri Nov 19 2010 08:08 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

I'm planting a flower garden smile

Today I weeded the patch of dirt...tomorrow I will fertilise it.
Any suggestions for which flowers to plant? I'd like them to be able to be picked and put in a vase, and to be able to survive 40C+ temperatures (Australian summer coming up)

Also wondering whether veggies will grow nicely with the flowers?

#568430 - Fri Nov 19 2010 08:51 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: The_lioness33]
humbugs Offline
Participant

Roses and Lavender are the main plants I have around the veggie patch but I'm also a bit of a trial and error girl as well. There's an awful lot to chose from at the moment ... you could try Chrysanthemums, Asters, Zinnias, Marigolds, Daisies ... anything really. It also depends on what type you want to plant as well! Herbs, Natives, Bulbs, etc, etc. The thing is to get it pretty much established before our hot weather really kicks in and make sure everything is mulched well.
I've got Marigolds planted between various veggies just to keep the white moths and other bugs away and they seem to work well plus they look quite nice when in bloom.
Best bet is just to take a trip down to your local nursery and see what's around.

Hope you let us know how it goes for you!

Sighs ... can feel another Bunning's run coming on!

#568435 - Fri Nov 19 2010 09:00 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: humbugs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Or from seed Zinnias make beautiful many colored Daisy type displays in the cut arrangement. The marogolds can be mixed in if you use floral wire to lengthen the stem on the blossoms(That's about all you can pick on the marigold without damaging the plant itself - in fact 'deadheading', the removal of blooms, encourages more blossoms on them)
If you can afford the bulbs/corms, the many new varieties of Dahlias are breathtaking and they will last a while when cut. Margarites and asters are wonderful later in the season, but you must start them now.
If you want greens besides the herbs and mints to mix in your arrangements, a shady spot can be used to grow Maidenhair fern. Many mistakenly plant asparagus fern to use like maidenhair, but the asparagus fern is an invasive weed in the garden and has skin tearing thorns on it. Avoid at all costs. Boston Fern leaves are nice in arrangements.

Edited by mehaul (Fri Nov 19 2010 09:07 PM)

#568460 - Sat Nov 20 2010 12:31 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: mehaul
Minkpenny, there are benefits beyond the pleasure of viewing the garden. There is a sense of accomplishment to having been responsible for some growth. Even living in an apartment shouldn't deprive you of that reward. Look around your community for opportunities to brighten a dreary corner somewhere and take responsibility for its nurture (Ask permission first of course).

You're very right, mehaul smile Knowing that you helped in the growth of a vegetable or flower or plants must be so rewarding. Those are really good ideas, thank you! I'll find out and see if I can do something like that. Thanks again smile

#568464 - Sat Nov 20 2010 01:18 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: humbugs]
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: humbugs
Roses and Lavender are the main plants I have around the veggie patch but I'm also a bit of a trial and error girl as well. There's an awful lot to chose from at the moment ... you could try Chrysanthemums, Asters, Zinnias, Marigolds, Daisies ... anything really. It also depends on what type you want to plant as well! Herbs, Natives, Bulbs, etc, etc. The thing is to get it pretty much established before our hot weather really kicks in and make sure everything is mulched well.
I've got Marigolds planted between various veggies just to keep the white moths and other bugs away and they seem to work well plus they look quite nice when in bloom.
Best bet is just to take a trip down to your local nursery and see what's around.

Hope you let us know how it goes for you!

Sighs ... can feel another Bunning's run coming on!

I was intending to put Marigolds near the tomatoes mum wants me to grow...

Other than that, I'll have a look at what's in Bunnnings...I was there this morning buying some gloves. Looks like I'm going back again.

#568502 - Sat Nov 20 2010 05:59 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: The_lioness33]
humbugs Offline
Participant

Heh! Now you just have to pick which tommies you want [or need]!

#568648 - Sat Nov 20 2010 04:55 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: humbugs]
agony Online   content

Administrator

I wouldn't chose marigolds as a 'put in a vase' flower, unless you have different ones down there from ours. They are lovely in the garden, and do a good job of keeping down the pests, but one of the reasons they keep bugs away is their smell. Quite medicinal, not too nice in the house.

#568655 - Sat Nov 20 2010 05:26 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: agony]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

The smell is in the leaves mostly. The aroma from the bloom smells quite 'flower shoppy' or 'funeral parlory' 5 minutes after picking! as I am experiencing right now on a bloom I picked 10 minutes ago.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Nov 20 2010 05:28 PM)

#568657 - Sat Nov 20 2010 05:38 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
humbugs Offline
Participant

Absolutely right agony and that's the main reason why I mentioned them. They really do look good in the garden at the moment and do a fine job keeping most of the bugs away. Just like Nasturtiums they will self seed next year which is always a great signal for me to get busy in the garden.

#568706 - Sat Nov 20 2010 09:35 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: humbugs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Minkpenny,
Often libraries are strapped for personel to tend to gardens (if they even have them) Your local library may, if not use you as a resource, suggest places to do some growing. I used to have a beer can, top cut out that I rigged a wire coat hanger holder for, hung from the dash vents of my VW bug and grew a beautiful Lobelia in. If you drive in a car everyday, you could grow a plant in it.

#568958 - Sun Nov 21 2010 10:23 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

There's a park four blocks away from my house called "Reader's Park", as it is next to the National Library. Now that you mentioned libraries, mehaul, I'm thinking maybe something can be done over there. Thanks again for your ideas smile

#568959 - Sun Nov 21 2010 10:29 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: minkpenny]
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

As of tomorrow, my garden will grow:
Tomatoes
Marigolds
Portulaca
Verbena
Phlox.

Basically, I went to Bunnings and picked the prettiest ones.

#568977 - Mon Nov 22 2010 12:59 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: The_lioness33]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Good luck and be sure to use plenty of that black composted cow stuff. It will add nutrients and if what you folks say about the summer weather there, it'll help hold moisture in the soil as well.
I might opt for the Verbenas too since I can't find the Salvia I wanted.

#569129 - Mon Nov 22 2010 03:55 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
agony Online   content

Administrator

I'm vermicomposting these days, which gives a lot of good rich compost, too - especially if you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, and so have lots to feed them.

I have one batch of worms at home, and one at work. Since I'm living alone now, the colony at home is growing quite slowly, and not churning out much compost. The one at work, on the other hand, is just booming! A daycare yields an awful lot of banana peels, apple cores, and melon rinds.

This is a great winter idea, when outdoor composting doesn't do much because of the cold. Takes up about four cubic feet, and if you do it right there is no smell or flies. Can sit in a cupboard or in the basement quite happily.

Here's an indication of why I'm not doing any gardening for at least five months:

Current Conditions

Observed at: Wainwright CFB 2:00 PM MST Monday 22 November 2010

Temperature:
-21.5°C

Pressure / Tendency:
102.7 kPa / rising

Humidity:
81%

Wind Chill:

Dew Point:
-23.9°C

Wind Speed:
NNE 17 km/h

Forecast

Issued: 11:00 AM MST Monday 22 November 2010

Today:
Periods of light snow ending late this afternoon then cloudy. Wind becoming north 20 km/h early this afternoon. Temperature steady near minus 21. Wind chill minus 32.

Tonight:
Cloudy. Clearing after midnight. Low minus 30.

Tuesday:
Sunny. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 24. Wind chill minus 39.

Wednesday:
Sunny. Low minus 31. High minus 22.

Thursday:
A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 24. High minus 10.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong