Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#575634 - Sat Dec 11 2010 10:56 PM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: Anton]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Well, fight for more bumping, but as I am leading in TV right now with a 39 -- and I googled -- not sure what you are expecting. So, yes, you play against a bunch of googlers right now. That is what makes it, for some, FUN trivia! For the record, did you refuse to take open book tests in college? Or was that not letting you live and die by your own knowledge?

#575635 - Sat Dec 11 2010 11:01 PM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: bubblesfun]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Loc: California USA
It's funny that you bring that up. I did refuse to use books and/or legal cheat sheets. I may not have received the best grades, but I earned what I got. I sure could have used one in Accounting, but I enjoy earning what I get when I am being timed and tested.

#575636 - Sat Dec 11 2010 11:07 PM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: Anton]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Hmmmmmm, but you didn't refuse to take classes where open books were allowed although others scored better through their legal methods? Are you getting the conundrum yet? Why not let everyone play with their strengths? You enjoy being timed and tested, others enjoy the thrill of the timing with Google help.

#575637 - Sat Dec 11 2010 11:24 PM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: bubblesfun]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

How would I know what teachers allow open book tests? That isn't something they tell you when you are registering. That makes no sense.

Anyway, I guess earning what you get on your own merit and fair play mean nothing to you. That's your prerogative. Just know that everything I have done in the hourlies was by my own brain. If I want to Google, I'll go do the Bus Ride.

#575640 - Sat Dec 11 2010 11:58 PM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: Anton]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Actually, we just disagree about what fair play means. And you can make snotty comment after snotty comment -- that doesn't change for me. I will still be just as educated, still have a great life, still enjoy the site immensely, and still think Google is fair play. Agree to disagree.

And maybe it is different in different colleges, but every course I took I knew exactly the kinds of exams I would have going in. That is called research. Like the kind that can be found on Google! Maybe the East Coast is different, lol. And if I want to Google? I guess I will just have to win another WTS in 39 seconds.

#575641 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:04 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: bubblesfun]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: bubblesfun
And if I want to Google? I guess I will just have to win another WTS in 39 seconds.

And in the process, cheat other players who didn't Google out of a win, bonus points, and/or a badge.

#575642 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:04 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: Anton]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Great, find me the cheating rule?

#575643 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:07 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: bubblesfun]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
And maybe it is different in different colleges, but every course I took I knew exactly the kinds of exams I would have going in.

In Ontario (thanks to the government), universities are required to outline an exact structure of marking and expectations on the first day of lectures including each assignment/test grade weighting. Any changes made to the syllabus after the fact must be done well in advance, otherwise students can demand the specifications listed from day 1.

Off-topic, but true! laugh

#575644 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:07 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: bubblesfun]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

From Terry:

Another addendum:

Players who accuse other players of cheating will be removed from this website with no warning. We simply cannot tolerate players being nasty to one another.

If you have a specific concern with another player, contact an administrator.

So, let's hear it? I have a specific concern.

#575645 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:09 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: kyleisalive]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Quote:
And maybe it is different in different colleges, but every course I took I knew exactly the kinds of exams I would have going in.

In Ontario (thanks to the government), universities are required to outline an exact structure of marking and expectations on the first day of lectures including each assignment/test grade weighting. Any changes made to the syllabus after the fact must be done well in advance, otherwise students can demand the specifications listed from day 1.

Off-topic, but true! laugh

Love Canada! My research was just asking other students who had taken the class, and now they have websites devoted to outlining class structures, but I like the idea!

#575646 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:11 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: bubblesfun]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

From Terry:

Another addendum:

Players who accuse other players of cheating will be removed from this website with no warning. We simply cannot tolerate players being nasty to one another.

So, let's hear it? I have a specific concern.

"Cheating is defined as any action undertaken by a FunTrivia user to unfairly inflate or manipulate game scores, challenge scores, tournament scores, or quiz rankings in any manner. This is usually done through collusion (sharing information with someone else), or through multiple accounts (play a game with player A, then use that knowledge to help player B)."

http://www.funtrivia.com/cheating.cfm

Googling is manipulating the scores.

#575647 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:15 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: Anton]
Forum Champion

Quote:
Googling is manipulating the scores.

So would asking the person next to you if that's the case. :s

Quote:
This is usually done through collusion (sharing information with someone else), or through multiple accounts (play a game with player A, then use that knowledge to help player B)."

Neither of these refer to Googling.

If either of you have issues with cheating, please consult the administrators as they are the ones who would be apt to deal with such a situation. As it says in the Cheating post at the top of this forum (at http://www.funtrivia.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/310340#Post310340):

Quote:
Cheating on FunTrivia is actually quite difficult. All of our games have been designed with safeguards against cheating. I know precisely how someone could cheat, and how to detect that.

and

Quote:
Posting attacks on this board is a waste of time.

and

Quote:

Edited by kyleisalive (Sun Dec 12 2010 12:17 AM)
Edit Reason: added quotes.

#575648 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:16 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: kyleisalive]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Neither of these refer to Googling.

Kyle, it says "usually."

#575649 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:17 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: Anton]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Terry? Is using Google "manipulating" the score? Has it been banned from this site? Not in the rules as of now. If not, please explain again the cheating accusation rules. Or this is all just false. Can these accusations and snotty comments just go on for hours? This is really ridiculous.

#575650 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:19 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: bubblesfun]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Terry? Is using Google "manipulating" the score? Has it been banned from this site? Not in the rules as of now. If not, please explain again the cheating accusation rules. Or this is all just false. Can these accusations and snotty comments just go on for hours? This is really ridiculous.

Since there is at least a 75% chance you wouldn't have got that 10/10 and you used to Google to achieve that 10/10, it is manipulating the score. smile

#575652 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:25 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: Anton]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

And you get the 75 percent from where? You have no clue how many I Googled. Arguing with you is worthless. All accusations, and name-calling with no facts. I will end this by waiting for Terry's response.

#575653 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:26 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: bubblesfun]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Four options with one right answer. 75% of getting it wrong by guessing.

More than one question being Googled makes it more than 75%

EDIT: And I didn't call you any names.

Edited by AntonLaVey (Sun Dec 12 2010 12:27 AM)

#575654 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:31 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: Anton]
Forum Champion

Quote:

I'm an English major with a penchant to be bad at math, but if you have ten questions with four answers each, and each question has one right answer, technically isn't it always a 75% chance of getting it wrong by guessing? If not, I am math-illiterate and will succumb to my lack of knowledge.

Or I'll Google it.

Or not.

laugh

#575655 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:34 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: kyleisalive]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Quote:

I'm an English major with a penchant to be bad at math, but if you have ten questions with four answers each, and each question has one right answer, technically isn't it always a 75% chance of getting it wrong by guessing? If not, I am math-illiterate and will succumb to my lack of knowledge.

Or I'll Google it.

Or not.

laugh

One question has four possibilities. A, B, C, or D. Factor in another question and there are many more answer possibilities to choose from. A and B, A and C, A and D, even A and A. B and C, B and B, etc. This is why getting 10/10 by just guessing is as close to impossible as impossible gets.

Edited by AntonLaVey (Sun Dec 12 2010 12:34 AM)

#575656 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:36 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: Anton]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Googled two. Want to change your math?

#575657 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:38 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: Anton]
Forum Champion

1/4 answer options correct is the same as 10/40 answer options in terms of ratios. I'm getting myself screwed up.

This is why I don't do math. laugh
No more off-topic for me; I'm overtired. :P

#575658 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:42 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: bubblesfun]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

It doesn't work that way, Kyle. lol

Googled two. Want to change your math?

AA, AB, AC, AD, BB, BC, BD, CC, CD, DD. Ten possibilities to guess correctly on two questions. Divide by two and we are now at least 80% chance of you guessing incorrectly on one of them. Sure, I'll change my math.

EDIT: Sorry. 80% chance of guessing incorrectly on both of them. Or is it one of them? Either way, that's a lot of combinations and that's a big number.

EDIT: I got it! There's a 10% chance of guessing them both right. ten combinations and only one is right.

Edited by AntonLaVey (Sun Dec 12 2010 12:48 AM)

#575659 - Sun Dec 12 2010 12:45 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: Anton]
Forum Champion

Quote:
It doesn't work that way, Kyle. lol

Math stopped being my strong suit when they started adding letters into it. wink
So I took their letters and departed for the world of English.

#575660 - Sun Dec 12 2010 01:04 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: kyleisalive]
leelee63 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Cape Cod Massachusetts USA   
"Who is the best?" to "Who Googles the fastest?"

"If someone can google and still win the time test in a game like WTS, why are you more righteous?"

"Why is your win more fair because you may have taken a geography course or lived in more countries while I "fairly" beat you using google? The time element is the great equalizer in a game like WTS."

etc. etc. etc.

I have a couple of questions. Being a player that will never be in either the 'elite' ELO raters or a fast googler, is it really necessary to argue what type of strategy deserves, merits or earns a badge? Just observe the recent times it takes to win most of the hourly games at the higher level. Does it come down to google fast or true knowledge? Or does it come down to having played so many times, you don't have to read the questions, just the answers. Is the "skill" of being a fast clicker really a rewarding venture?

As for zipping out a 10/10 score in WTS in 39 seconds is outstanding, then adding in the cut/paste/search factor while googling two questions......whatever.

#575661 - Sun Dec 12 2010 01:11 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: leelee63]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
My motto is simple: Live and let live.

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Terry