Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10
Topic Options
#576190 - Mon Dec 13 2010 01:26 PM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: salami_swami]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
They didn't change the format and rules of golf or tennis when Tiger Woods and Roger Federer came along. Everyone else had to dig a little deeper to compete. These other players will have their day in the sun, or maybe they won't. Such is life. Likewise, top FT players will come and go. Good players who have been around for awhile and/or have better abilities should NOT be knocked down or have their hands tied because others can't keep up. They worked their way to the top over a period of time.
It took me three tries to finally get some monthly badges. I'm still trying for the Who Am I. Once I got up to 170 points in KO, the competition became tougher. I knew that would happen. So it's been slow going for quite a while, but I get my points every so often. These are GAMES. Not everyone can win. Some win more than others. Again, that's life.

#576192 - Mon Dec 13 2010 01:32 PM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: ssabreman]
Jennings Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Surrey
England UK
I've always thought that the words FUN and GAMES belonged together.

#576201 - Mon Dec 13 2010 02:06 PM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: Jennings]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Ssabreman, you're right. I'm at 125 KOs, and I knew going in it would be tougher. I haven't won any weeks for a long time, but I don't particularly care. I know it will be a long haul for me to reach 200, but those players who finally reach the divisions where it is tougher to win already have all the badges except the 200 points badge anyway, so it really doesn't even make SENSE to complain. The 50,000 points badges are LONG HAUL badges, so is the 200 points badges. It really doesn't need to be changed so a complaining player gets what they want.

#576203 - Mon Dec 13 2010 02:10 PM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: Terry]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
Originally Posted By: Terry
Originally Posted By: mike32768
dsimpy's example is interesting - it shows what happens when (big) government (or the webmaster) tries to essentially legislate behavior.

Actually, his example shows what happens when dealing with speed bumps in his personal experience. Maybe there are some lessons to be learned from it, but it's a logical fallacy to jump from an anecdote about traffic enforcement to grandiose sweeping generalizations about "big government" or "webmasters trying to legislate behavior".

Perhaps you want me to go back to giving everyone identical questions in every game, and letting everyone have 10 accounts each. That way if people wanted to behave by playing a game, writing down the answers, and playing again, we could all get 100%. After all, what I'm doing is legislating against that behavior. Big evil webmaster hurting the poor masses!

Heaven forbid we have rules and enforce them!

Very drole, Terry. :smilee I didn't mention big government or big bad webmasters of course, but it was - as you know - meant to be illustrative of this topic and not in the slightest, at the moment, about speed bumps. The illustration was simply to make the point that, IMO, games should be tweaked to improve them for the playing experience of the majority, rather than focusing too much on the disputed googling of a small minority of speed demons.

You are of course the webmaster (big, bad or otherwise :)), and you do legislate, and I'll happily play the games quite frankly whatever changes are made to them.

#576334 - Mon Dec 13 2010 06:14 PM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: dsimpy]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
With KO, why not make it tougher then use the GC penalties? Make it if you go over a certain allotted time (maybe two minutes or so - 2m30s at max), then every second over that threshold get penalized at a stiffer time penalty. Maybe hae three different thresholds on how many KOs a player has. If a player has over 250 (or whatever Terry decides), then they move to a tougher question group. Once a player hits double the first, then make it even tougher. I don't know how much that would take to write, and I don't want to make Terry do an exorbitant amount of work, but would that be feasible?

Liz, how much time do you take on KO? At 20 questions, 2½ minutes would be 7½ seconds per question.

Terry, thoughts?

#576414 - Tue Dec 14 2010 03:49 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: dg_dave]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
Why not just leave KO as it is and all stop whining when you can't go fast enough to beat that week's opponent? It's taken me however long it's been since KO started to get within sight of the 200 badge, and I will get there eventually by plodding away - some weeks I win (maybe 1 in 4 or 5), some weeks (about 2/4) I go out on the first day, but I don't immediately assume that the person who beat me has googled/memorised every.single.question on the site/has a trained keyboard marmoset/has a voodoo Rowena dolly with a pin in it's typing hand/has a team of highly trained hackers to fix things/is an alien who can influence my answer choices with the power of their enormous brain. I just move on and wait for the next week.
I am certain I've said this before, and no doubt will again, and my opinion is worth just what you pay me for it laugh but Terry could give everyone all the badges the day they register, and nobody would have anything to complain about... OR we can all go and do whatever it is that needs doing to WIN the badges, and accept that some of them take more time/effort/input/dedication than others. Some of them just need a bit of dumb luck.

#576416 - Tue Dec 14 2010 04:04 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: Rowena8482]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Hear, hear, Rowena! I have been playing for a long time, too, and hope to get the 200 badge some time in the New Year. I would hate all my efforts so far to be 'diluted' because of the impatience of a few people.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#576422 - Tue Dec 14 2010 05:16 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: ozzz2002]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I haven't contributed to this either, but I'm happy to agree with Rowena and oz. I've been stuck on 197 KO points for weeks because I'm now in the higher divisions. That's a product of past success, and now I don't win very often - last week I got 20/20 & still got knocked out in round one by a better player. It's not a problem to me - there's always another week. When I do eventually get the badge it will seem even sweeter.

#576432 - Tue Dec 14 2010 06:55 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: rossian]
KayceeKool Offline
Participant

Loc: Hermanus
South Africa
I have been lurking round the forums for a while now enjoying the banter and camaraderie but never quite having the courage to inflict my opinions on the rest of the site. However, reading this thread has made me take a deep breath, grab courage in both hands and share a story with you for my first posting. Apologies in advance if I am not quite au-fait with the etiquette.

This week, I am one of those lucky/unlucky souls whose tournament has been chosen for the Fantasy K/O. In my little form guide, it says that the last time I won a K/O was against Traveler56. What it doesn't tell you is that we both ended up with the same score in the final and I won on tie-break, this despite Traveler not getting a single question wrong all week and me being, shall we say, less consistent. On Saturday morning I logged on to find not only had I won but to a lovely little note from Traveler congratulating me and wishing me luck for the next week. This note meant far more to me than the little gold cup and the points ever could. Surely this is the spirit in which FT should be played and which keeps us coming back day after day. I know who I felt was a true champion that Saturday morning. Please don't let us spoil what, after all, is supossed to be FUN, with bickering.

Good luck to everyone playing this week and I hope that you all enjoy your games.

#576463 - Tue Dec 14 2010 08:56 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: KayceeKool]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Quote:
Why not just leave KO as it is and all stop whining when you can't go fast enough to beat that week's opponent?

That's not actually my beef. Oddly enough, I care little about badges and count any that I receive as a bonus for being around a long time. My beef is with it being assumed that because I'm slow I must be googling, and every time it comes up I sit back for awhile and then get annoyed again. It's a moot point for me this week in any case - I was both slow and dismal... smile

#576529 - Tue Dec 14 2010 10:58 AM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: Rowena8482]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
Originally Posted By: Rowena8482
... but I don't *immediately* assume that the person who beat me has googled/memorised every.single.question on the site/has a trained keyboard marmoset/has a voodoo Rowena dolly with a pin in it's typing hand/has a team of highly trained hackers to fix things/is an alien who can influence my answer choices with the power of their enormous brain.

Aha! So you're not completely ruling these possibilities out then? wink

Edited by dsimpy (Tue Dec 14 2010 04:14 PM)

#576561 - Tue Dec 14 2010 12:23 PM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: dsimpy]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
I have no problems with time penalties but PLEASE don't commence them after you go over 2 seconds a question.

I personally cant make 2 seconds a question if I just press start and randomly pick answers as fast as I can without reading questions - believe me I've tried to see what I need to do to get down to to make these times that win. Now I know I can't do it I just play the best I can to get the best score I can.

My absolute best time which I can only do on a subject that I know backwards and have immediate 'question recognition' on is 3 secs a question.

I have a reasonable PC, a good internet connection and no physical limitations - that is just my limit so I imagine a lot of others are much worse of.

Knowing that time penalties will click in after 2 seconds just makes it seem more impossible - it may only be a perception but perceptions are quite poweful!

#576603 - Tue Dec 14 2010 02:49 PM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: Midget40]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Originally Posted By: Midget40
I have no problems with time penalties but PLEASE don't commence them after you go over 2 seconds a question.

I long ago realised that my team would be in bad shape if they had to use my score in the Easiest game - a time under 3 seconds per question is a triumph for me, 2.5 seconds per question if I get a set that I don't have to read past the first word. In games that require me to actually read the question and possibly also choose an answer rather than knowing what it is and finding it, 4 seconds a question is my personal target, and I give myself a pat on the back. I already find the time penalties pretty vicious, and any increase would make the chore of trying to play the games for the possible team points even less attractive.

Amid all the debate over the legitimacy of googling, I feel frustrated that there seems to be an assumption that anyone who takes any kind of time must be researching as they go. Some of us just aren't that fast!

#576648 - Tue Dec 14 2010 04:12 PM Re: Added lev 100 mini-badge: The Centurion Champs [Re: looney_tunes]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
Nothing at all would surprise me anymore regarding people I "meet" on the internet dsimpy laugh I'd be obliged if said alien could let me know the lottery numbers for this week though wink

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10

Moderator:  Terry