Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 23 of 50 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 49 50 >
Topic Options
#568981 - Mon Nov 22 2010 03:42 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
10. Adhereing to the concrete construal of something
Your answer: literalness

A wee typo in a rather verbose question- Adhering

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#569095 - Mon Nov 22 2010 12:49 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ozzz2002]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Verbosity is not a major crime, only a minor felony.

#569271 - Mon Nov 22 2010 11:41 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
TinyDetail Offline
Participant

Loc: Arkansas USA
2. The state of being held in high esteem and honor
Your answer: adulation

adulation means "servile flattery"

The correct answer was reputation

Sometimes this game can be very frustrating:

From the World English Dictionary
adulation

— n
obsequious flattery or praise; [b]extreme admiration [/b]
Reputation usually means good, but in practical use, it also can be used like this: "Sam has a bad reputation in our town"

I love Word Wizard but at times, it can be frustrating! Just saying!

~~Tiny

Edited by TinyDetail (Mon Nov 22 2010 11:42 PM)
Edit Reason: verbosity

#569392 - Tue Nov 23 2010 12:44 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: TinyDetail]
TinyDetail Offline
Participant

Today WW has the definition of a "waterspout" as "a heavy rain". This is a pretty poor definition. It is certainly MUCH more than a heavy rain in most any part of the world. It always involves a revolving spout of air that carries water with it, or even water that rises into the air above the water surface as a revolving phenomenom. Rising in the air does not make it a heavy rain. On dry land they are called tornadoes. The definition should include something about revolving or circling or something to that effect, in my humble opinion.

~~Tiny

#569481 - Tue Nov 23 2010 04:46 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: TinyDetail]
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
"3. Buffet
Your answer: cause to be confused emotionally

cause to be confused emotionally is the definition for "throw"

The correct answer was usually inexpensive bar"

Ok, so my answer was stretching it a bit, but I'm sure its more accurate than the 'correct' answer.

I can't find any reference to a buffet being an inexpensive bar, but one site gave the following definitions:

buf·fet 1 (b-f, b-)
n.
1. A large sideboard with drawers and cupboards.
a. A counter or table from which meals or refreshments are served.
b. A restaurant having such a counter.
3. A meal at which guests serve themselves from various dishes displayed on a table or sideboard.
adj.
Informally served: a buffet luncheon.

buf·fet 2 (bft)
n.
A blow or cuff with or as if with the hand.
v. buf·fet·ed, buf·fet·ing, buf·fets
v.tr.
1. To hit or beat, especially repeatedly.
2. To strike against forcefully; batter: winds that buffeted the tent. See Synonyms at beat.
3. To drive or force with or as if with repeated blows: was buffeted about from job to job by the vagaries of the economy.
4. To force (one's way) with difficulty.
v.intr.
To force one's way with difficulty: a ship buffeting against the wind.

(1) Refers to a meal or a piece of furniture. The reference to 'refreshments' is the only link to a bar, and it is very tenuous.

#570065 - Thu Nov 25 2010 06:18 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: supersal1]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western Australia
Not a complaint as such but more for interest sake:

12. Celibacy
Your answer: an unmarried status

(my answer was correct by the way)

I would have thought that celibacy had more to do with marriage than not being married! grin

#570504 - Sat Nov 27 2010 09:51 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: supersal1]
twosleepy Offline
Explorer

Loc: Mendon New York USA           
I think there is a word missing in that answer. An inexpensive FOOD bar, in the US, would be a buffet. They're not always inexpensive (a Mother's Day brunch buffet we go to is nearly $40 per person, and includes Mimosas, crab legs, made-to-order omelettes, carved lamb/salmon/prime rib etc. etc....), but many are $10-15, and are, unfortunately, quite popular.

#570560 - Sun Nov 28 2010 06:23 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: twosleepy]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
Originally Posted By: twosleepy
I think there is a word missing in that answer. An inexpensive FOOD bar, in the US, would be a buffet. They're not always inexpensive (a Mother's Day brunch buffet we go to is nearly $40 per person, and includes Mimosas, crab legs, made-to-order omelettes, carved lamb/salmon/prime rib etc. etc....), but many are $10-15, and are, unfortunately, quite popular.

Sounds great. I'd pay $40 for that. Right now, in fact, if New York wasn't a bit far ... shocked (There's no smilie for hungry, so this one with the mouth open will have to do!)

#570854 - Mon Nov 29 2010 01:35 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: dsimpy]
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Loc: Grayslake
Illinois USA    
14. Caught along the Atlantic coast of the United States

Your answer: striper

Another incomplete definition. Mention of 'fish' would help here.

Happy Word Wizard Trivia!
Immortal #4, #8, #15, #18, #6, #6, #5, #5, #4, #7, #4, #12, #15, #48, #26, #19, #__, #__, #16 (GC2-20)
Who Am I? Editor since June 17, 2008 - June 30, 2013

#571410 - Tue Nov 30 2010 12:26 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
But that would givce the answer away. I think the point is not to make it too easy!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#572725 - Fri Dec 03 2010 07:33 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: skunkee]
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Illinois USA    
15. A statement that represents something in words

Your answer: literary composition

literary composition means "imaginative or creative writing"

The correct answer was verbal description

These seem to both match the definition.

Immortal #4, #8, #15, #18, #6, #6, #5, #5, #4, #7, #4, #12, #15, #48, #26, #19, #__, #__, #16 (GC2-20)

#573810 - Tue Dec 07 2010 04:22 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Athens Georgia USA            
This pairing seems a little too close...

------

Stepping_down

Your answer: changing to a lower state (a less respected state)

changing to a lower state (a less respected state) is the definition for "degradation"

The correct answer was the act of abdicating

#573962 - Tue Dec 07 2010 03:49 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: abechstein]
romeomikegolf Offline

Administrator

Loc: Rothwell Northants England UK 
6. A member of the House of Commons who is not a party leader

Your answer: backbencher

A backbencher is an MP who is not part of the ministerial team. It applies to both the party in power and opposition. It does not apply to anyone that is not a party leader. In UK politics a minister is not regarded as being a party leader.

Would the last person to leave the planet please turn off the lights.

#574045 - Tue Dec 07 2010 07:31 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
dino335 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Manhattan New York USA        
My complaint is regarding the Fun Trivia Dictionary used in the minigame-- the word "olio" was rejected. This certainly is a word found in most dictionairies, and is known to anyone who does crossword puzzles.

#574053 - Tue Dec 07 2010 08:33 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: dino335]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Originally Posted By: dino335
My complaint is regarding the Fun Trivia Dictionary used in the minigame-- the word "olio" was rejected. This certainly is a word found in most dictionairies, and is known to anyone who does crossword puzzles.

The 'dictionary' is quite unexpected at times. It does not contain some very common words (actinium, a fairly normal chemical element if not in everyday household use, was not there when I tried to submit it), almost no plurals or verb forms ending in -ed, not many ending in -ing, etc.), but it does contain some incredibly obscure words. It's all part of the challenge - you have to guess a word it knows, not just one you know!

#574265 - Wed Dec 08 2010 11:21 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
Play_a_joke_on
Your answer: subject to a palyful hoax or joke

Spelling error - playful

#574455 - Wed Dec 08 2010 10:40 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
Snake_oil - communication (writen or spoken) intended to deceive

correction - spelling of written

#574526 - Thu Dec 09 2010 05:10 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Illinois USA    
13. The act of committing a crime

Your answer: hold up

hold up means "rob at gunpoint or by means of some other threat"

The correct answer was perpetration

"Hold up" would seem to also fit the definition.

#575076 - Fri Dec 10 2010 09:41 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: dsimpy]
twosleepy Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: dsimpy
Sounds great. I'd pay $40 for that. Right now, in fact, if New York wasn't a bit far ... shocked (There's no smilie for hungry, so this one with the mouth open will have to do!)

There's a ton of items I didn't mention, and it's awesome! We only go on Mother's Day. You wouldn't be hungry after, believe me! :0)

And a new complaint... This one seems 100% unfair, as my answer is also correct. I'll admit I didn't know "abreact", but it shouldn't be paired with "bluster":

1. Discharge bad feelings or tension through verbalization

Your answer: bluster

bluster means "a violent gusty wind"

The correct answer was abreact

#575955 - Mon Dec 13 2010 01:49 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: twosleepy]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Here's another that seems a little too close:

------

Stop or halt

Your answer: abatement

abatement means "an interruption in the intensity or amount of something"

The correct answer was detain

------

In retrospect, a clue to "detain" would be the fact that "detain", "stop", and "halt" are all verb forms, as opposed to "abatement", which is a noun form. Nevertheless, I don't think WW is an appropriate place for options which turn mainly on the part of speech of a word -- there's much more of an emphasis on speed, which isn't particularly conducive to an in-depth evaluation of parts of speech.

That issue aside, I think a closer definition for "detain" is "hold back". The connotation of the word implies a temporary state; "abatement" has more of a connotation of stopping or halting than "detain".

#576761 - Tue Dec 14 2010 07:10 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: abechstein]
twosleepy Offline
Explorer

Once again, two words that should NOT appear together, and I even question the "correct" answer:

11. Loud and confused and empty talk
Your answer: mumbo jumbo

mumbo jumbo means "language that is unnecessarily difficult to understand"

The correct answer was palaver

I always thought "palaver" just meant talk, conversation. Not a happy camper here...

#577998 - Fri Dec 17 2010 02:42 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: twosleepy]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Not that this one is wrong, per se, but it struck me as amusing. Sure, I got it wrong because I just didn't read through all the options, and I could argue the correctness of my answer, but it's not worth it on this one. wink

------

6. Devil_dog

Your answer: a very evil man

a very evil man is the definition for "hellhound"

The correct answer was a member of the united states marine corps

#578316 - Sat Dec 18 2010 06:37 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: abechstein]
TinyDetail Offline
Participant

6. Brickbat
Your answer: a weapon that is thrown or projected

a weapon that is thrown or projected is the definition for "missile"

The correct answer was blunt criticism

From Free Online Dictionary:
brick·bat (br k b t) n. 1. A piece, especially of brick, used as a weapon or missile. 2. An unfavorable remark; a criticism.

brickbat - Definition of brickbat at YourDictionary.com
noun. a piece of brick, esp. one used as a missile; an unfavorable or critical remark

Define Brickbat at Dictionary.com
–noun 1. a piece of broken brick, esp. one used as a missile. 2. any rocklike missile. 3. an unkind or unfavorable remark; caustic criticism:

Just a note to say that the primary definition of brickbat fits the answer I chose, just saying.

~~TinyDetail

PS: When one is scrambling to stay in the monthly top ten for a badge, this kind of thing is frustrating, to say the least.

Edited by TinyDetail (Sat Dec 18 2010 06:38 PM)
Edit Reason: misspelling

#580587 - Tue Dec 28 2010 12:27 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: TinyDetail]
Tizzabelle Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
14. Broach

Your answer: a decorative pin worn by women

I got it right but it's wrong smile Brooch is a pin worn by women. Broach has several meanings including to bring up a subject for discussion for the first time.
Definitions as per the OED online and dictionary.com .

#580588 - Tue Dec 28 2010 01:13 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Tizzabelle]
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Illinois USA    
10 a reflex that expels intestinal gas through the anus

discharge
toad-in-the-hole
commercial traveler
discharge
flatus
materialization

I think this has come up in the past, but I don't recall the discussion. Obviously, the duplicate 'discharge' is not the answer, but should there have been a duplicate choice at all?

Page 23 of 50 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 49 50 >

Moderator:  Terry