Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#584379 - Sat Jan 08 2011 08:27 AM The World's Longest and Shortest Airline Flights
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
Because you're just apoplectic to find out how you can maximize your time on an airplane, right? We covered this a while back, but things keep changing: planes keep getting bigger, stronger, and faster, routes change based on demand and somehow, we keep increasing our tolerance for being locked up and pressurized like pringles in a can. Fortunately, the world's many airline nerds have already done the technical legwork--we just had to fact check:

* At present, the world's longest non-stop commercial flight is Singapore Airlines SQ21 from Newark Liberty (EWR) to Singapore Changi International (SIN) clocking in at a whopping 18 hours 50 minutes! Thankfully, the huge all-business-class Airbus A340-500 and world-famous in-flight service makes the halfway-around-the-world jaunt from New Jersey quite bearable. (In that same time, you could drive from Newark to Kansas City.)
* The world's shortest regularly-scheduled, non-stop commercial flight is on Scotland's Loganair, from the island of Westray (WRY) to Papa Westray (PSV) in the Orkney Islands, clocking in at a meager 2 minutes (so I'm guessing there's no beverage service).There are plenty of other super short commercial flights all over the world, mostly inter-island and commuter connections. The Caribbean's LIAT flight between the islands of St. Kitt's (SKB) and Nevis (NEV) is scheduled at 15 minutes long but rarely takes more than 5 minutes from take-off to landing.

#621145 - Mon May 02 2011 07:57 AM Re: The World's Longest and Shortest Airline Flights [Re: vendome]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I just looked to see the time it is supposed to take from this island where I live to the next island and the quoted time is 20-25 minutes but I find that hard to believe, I am sure it is only about ten minutes - heck, you can see it on a clear day!

When I was checking the times I used a website offering cheap flights (haha) and for some bizarre reaason they were offering a much more expensive option which took 6 hours and 30 minutes, via a London airport!

#621163 - Mon May 02 2011 08:49 AM Re: The World's Longest and Shortest Airline Flights [Re: sue943]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Sue - you might enjoy looking at some of Google Maps' failures - just google "Google maps fail" and you should find a bunch.

Editor for Television Category

#621379 - Mon May 02 2011 06:22 PM Re: The World's Longest and Shortest Airline Flights [Re: ladymacb29]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
As so many British railway lines were closed in the 60s there are plenty of journeys now between towns of around 10 miles apart where I have actually seen tickets sold (ie rather than using buses or taxis) where people have travelled from places like High Wycombe to Reading (about 15 miles) via London (total journey around 65 miles) or Brighton to Uckfield (around 20 miles) via East Croydon (total trip around 50 miles). This is only a small sample of similar journeys made every day, as well as many supermarkets who sell 'local produce' often driven hundreds of miles from the farm nearby to their main warehouse and back there the next day. This is common practice in the food industry and shows how prices are built up and time utterly wasted by all authorities large and small. It's not just restricted to air flights but commonplace in every single area of transport where they think they can get away with it.

UN IPCC

#621841 - Wed May 04 2011 07:35 AM Re: The World's Longest and Shortest Airline Flights [Re: satguru]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Well, living as I do in a rather sparsely populated part of the world (relatively speaking) it's not a question of "where they think they can get away with it", but simple logistics. If I want to travel by public transport from my town to the next town to the north, about 60 km away, I have to go to the city to our west, 200 kms, and then the 200-kms back east again along another highway to that town. There would be no economic sense in running a train or bus line between these two towns, as most days nobody would ride it - you can't get by on two or three passengers a week. Trains and buses run along corridors, not crossways to them.

Those of you who live in places populated enough to justify a grid of transportation should be grateful that you have those options.

#621891 - Wed May 04 2011 11:13 AM Re: The World's Longest and Shortest Airline Flights [Re: agony]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
My point wasn't the existence of the system or otherwise, but the choice not to take one of the direct alternatives. London and most of England (though not Scotland and Wales) still have a very intensive rail and bus system compared to most places, so there should actually be no need to take a train to and from an interchange five times the distance where a bus would get you there directly. But as I collected train tickets I saw examples where it was no slower to get a direct bus (besides the much longer wait at times) and a lot cheaper but people still took the train. I don't know if the train charge by actual mileage rather than where the station is (I suspect they do) and if so a cab probably wouldn't have cost a lot more either. If there was literally no alternative we would be forced into such ridiculous routes (many a result of minor lines being closed en masse in the 60s) but in England there nearly always is one. Bus routes usually spring up automatically to fill gaps for rail closures so anywhere large within about 20 miles away would normally be possible on a direct trip albeit often at intermittent intervals.

UN IPCC

#621974 - Wed May 04 2011 03:20 PM Re: The World's Longest and Shortest Airline Flights [Re: satguru]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I know that this is true - that is, I know it intellectually.

As an Albertan, though, I find it hard to really believe in such an interconnected world. Of the top of my head, I can think of three nearbyish towns where there is not only no convenient access by mass transit, there is no access at all. You either drive there or have someone drive you, or walk 20 to 40 km. The idea that you could fairly conveniently take a bus or a train from a small town to another small town not on the same main artery is a lot like, oh, quarks, or imaginary numbers. I know that they exist, but I can't quite get my head around them.

Moderator:  bloomsby