Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#588613 - Sat Jan 22 2011 05:09 PM Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Everyone, I am quite excited! Sue has kindly said that we can have a new forum for the Roll of Honour in Photo-a-day. So I opened it with Satguru as first recipient.
Please have a look . The Roll of Honour!
You may post here if you think someone deserves a place in there, or to comment on the Roll of Honour.

Edited by ren33 (Sat Jan 22 2011 05:13 PM)

#588615 - Sat Jan 22 2011 05:23 PM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: ren33]
auntie1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Kingsville VIC Australia
Thanks to Ren for the Roll of Honour and to Sue for allowing it.

Congratulations to Satguru, a very worthy inaugural winner.

#588626 - Sat Jan 22 2011 06:27 PM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: auntie1]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
This is a really nice idea.

I'd like to congratulate Satguru (he's a team member after all!!)

I'd also like to nominate the following, in NO particular order, just as I'm thinking of them... (I must emphasise that this VERY short list is for "starters" only, since there are so many really great participants, I'll have more to add later):

1. Tellywellies
If not for him, this link might not be here. His photos and "imaging" are always a pleasure. And besides, I love a man with a sense of humour : )

2. MadMags
Her absolutely incredible photos were the reason I kept coming back here for more. She was (and I'm only saying "was" because she hasn't been here 'recently') always supportive and encouraging to ALL members, whether they were oldies or newbies. A very positive influence here, in my mind

3. Zorba
Because she has made me live "vicariously" through her pictures.

4. Szabs
My personal "travel guide" (if wishes were horses...)

5. Shelley
Not because she's from my country, but because her photos are pro quality and ALWAYS interesting. Long term participant as well.

I could go on, but I'd like to leave room for other folks to voice their accolades. Maybe we could have a monthly/quarterly poll of 20 participants, or something similar? ?

Edited by Jakeroo (Sat Jan 22 2011 06:47 PM)
Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows.

Pope Paul VI

#588641 - Sat Jan 22 2011 09:39 PM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: Jakeroo]
zorba_scank Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mumbai India
Nice idea, Ren and good choice on picking David. I've always enjoyed the typical English photos he posts. Even though I've been to London 4-5 times, there's no way I'd be able to 'see' so much of it without his pictures.

Thanks, Jake. It's this forum which got me interested in photography. smile

I miss MadMags' photos. When I went to Cuba recently, the brightly painted houses were just like the ones in her photos of Costa Rica and they reminded me of her.

#588737 - Sun Jan 23 2011 01:52 PM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: zorba_scank]
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
This ia a lovely idea Ren, some of the pictures in here are incredible, and although I havent posted many lately (due to loosing my camera early last year, but got a new one for Chirstmas - yay smilee)I shall be posting more regularly again. I love looking in here as often as I can, as you really do get to travel the world and see so many different places. Dave is a great choice showing us daily London life.

Thanks Jake, with pleasure I will continue being your personal "travel guide".

I miss MadMags as well, does anyone know anything of her, I have tried to PM her, but it says her mailbox is full.

Edited by szabs (Sun Jan 23 2011 01:52 PM)

#588756 - Sun Jan 23 2011 03:44 PM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: szabs]
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Buenos Aires Argentina       
What a great idea, Ren! Congratulations to David smile His pictures are always lovely and thanks to him I feel like I know a bit of London, even if I've never been there.

I've wondered where MadMags has been as well. I miss seing her pictures on the Photo-a-Day thread.

#588787 - Sun Jan 23 2011 06:44 PM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: minkpenny]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Congratulations to David!

I'm yet another one who wonders what has become of MadMags and who misses seeing her pictures.

I think that both Ren and Copago deserve a mention on the Roll, for their hard work and their photos as well. I love zorba's pics of India, as well as many others.

#588793 - Sun Jan 23 2011 07:02 PM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: spanishliz]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Thanks everyone, it was a wonderful surprise to see this today, I started taking photos on a very old box Brownie at 8, was given an old Kodak and colour film a year later, and went unlimited when I got my first digital in late 2005 and could take as many as I liked and just print the best but see them all. I'm now up to over 11,000 on my Flickr account, including all my British scenes from the past and some of my late grandpa's slides.

The number of changes and lost views recorded by everyone every time a photo is taken only becomes apparent a few years later when frequently you've forgotten what was there before until you see it again. I'd always rather see an actual picture of somewhere local I remember than try and do it in my head only. Many old road signs I've taken since I found my first by chance in 2008 (surprising considering how many we had then) are now gone and would be lost to memory had I not got in, and shops and buildings I took since I got the camera are now conspicuous by their presence when I see the photos and realise they are no longer there in reality. This is combination of history and art, and am now working on covering as many spots on the map as possible for www.geograph.org.uk , now Streetview allows me to locate old photos exactly which is required to be added. I have spent every day adding them the last month as it's been cold and dark outside and added over 1000 since Christmas Eve and now planning my trips to cover new areas when it gets lighter.

I've seen so many local places I'd never seen before myself as before digital tended to reserve the camera for holidays and specific views locally, but now looking for new views every time I go out and still finding them. My photos are also sorted into subject matter and added hundreds of outstanding houses to groups I've taken over the last 30 years for instance.

I'd have to think and go through some old months for all my own recommendations, but already said the member before me (to use parliamentary language wink ) is my personal favourite as I like both suburbia and N. American (ie both countries) road scenes. Britain has fewer straight roads than just about anywhere in the world (I have read many road maps in my lifetime from A-Z worldwide) and being able to look out of my window and see for miles in a straight line, as I could in Manhattan, is something we will rarely manage on this island so record as many examples as I can.
Anyway Sara, you have made my day, it is a great opportunity to be able to post our photos here now and share them with everyone we already know and are yet to, and like the member gallery being able to see parts of other people's worlds here as well as some of their faces gives a fascinating picture around each one.

UN IPCC

#590335 - Sun Jan 30 2011 12:08 AM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: satguru]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
As you may have seen, Spanish Liz is the next on the Roll of Honour. It was not difficult to give reasons for the choice. Liz has always delighted us with her pets and her daily life in both Spain and then Canada. She has always been supportive and appreciative, commenting on the photos in here and encouraging people. Thanks Liz and well done!

#590387 - Sun Jan 30 2011 01:22 PM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: ren33]
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Buenos Aires Argentina       
Congratulations to Liz smile Her pictures are a beautiful, I love it when she posts pictures of her pets. Precious is adorable!

#592379 - Sun Feb 06 2011 07:23 AM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: minkpenny]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I am delighted to see that it is our dear TW this week, very well deserved. Without him this forum wouldn't have got off the ground, he did so much and has been, and continues to be, very helpful to members.

Thanks Martin.

#593066 - Tue Feb 08 2011 12:02 AM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: sue943]
zorba_scank Offline
Prolific

TW has been such a big help to newcomers here. When I first started posting, I didn't even know how to resize my photos. Within a few minutes, he sent me a detailed and very helpful PM and got me going. Thanks again. smile

#594902 - Sun Feb 13 2011 07:51 AM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: zorba_scank]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
I think lots of us agree with you he is a great help to all
This week I am delighted to name the newest recipient , although by no means new to our forum -Mother Goose. Thanks Carole!

#595935 - Tue Feb 15 2011 07:36 PM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: ren33]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Funny? I was just reminded to add my favourite photo and found the thread was locked, so as this is still open will add it here. This was one of the first photos I took with the new digital camera in winter 2005 and until I walked along the road looking I'd never even seen these houses near Golders Green as they were behind a hedge. Anyway, better late than never.

UN IPCC

#597142 - Sat Feb 19 2011 05:49 AM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: satguru]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Ooops, sorry Dave! Better leave it here I am bound to mess it up if I try to move it!
Its a lovely one.

#597143 - Sat Feb 19 2011 05:50 AM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: ren33]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Jakaroo
Thankyou.
This week
It's You!

#597220 - Sat Feb 19 2011 10:48 AM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: ren33]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I'm "IT"? (looks around for someone else to tag lol).

Speaking of which, may we nominate you and Sue? I realise it's unlikely either of you would select yourselves, but you both deserve to be at the top the list!

Seconders?
Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows.

Pope Paul VI

#597239 - Sat Feb 19 2011 11:13 AM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: Jakeroo]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I'll second those nominations!

Great pick this week, by the way smile

#597347 - Sat Feb 19 2011 03:26 PM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: spanishliz]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Answer? Not an option. Neither I nor Sue post many pics and I just juggle in here. You guys deservr it for all your support .

#598329 - Tue Feb 22 2011 11:58 PM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: ren33]
auntie1 Offline
Enthusiast

I'm a relatively new contributor, and I can't fault your choices so far!

#598958 - Thu Feb 24 2011 10:20 PM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: auntie1]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Thanks Auntie. I am pretty sure you will approve of the next one too.
Quiz Beagle!

#601272 - Thu Mar 03 2011 08:10 AM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: ren33]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
This coming week I want to honour Zorba_Scank!
I am constantly amazed at the variety, scope, arrangement light and colour.
I am in awe of your talent
The one of the doorway this week had me gasping.
Thanks so much for your input and your loyalty!
(Now ,please, go down and take a picture of the Parsi Dairy Farm in Mumbai, just for me!)

Edited by ren33 (Thu Mar 03 2011 08:14 AM)

#601713 - Fri Mar 04 2011 12:19 AM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: ren33]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Excellent choice! I love Zorba's photos - always very interesting. smile

#601752 - Fri Mar 04 2011 06:18 AM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: Copago]
auntie1 Offline
Enthusiast

Likewise - Sharon is a window on the world for stay-at-homes like me.

#601845 - Fri Mar 04 2011 11:21 AM Re: Suggestions , comments on Roll of Honour [Re: auntie1]
zorba_scank Offline
Prolific

Thanks so much. smile I do like posting pictures of the places I travel to but more than that, your comments have made me look at everyday things in a new way and appreciate my city more.

Ren, I had no idea any one on these forums had heard of the Parsi Dairy! I'll definitely go around and take a pic, it's not far from where I live. I graduated from St. Xavier's just around the corner.

The Honour Roll is locked right now so I'll come and post there later. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Copago, LeoDaVinci, ren33