Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#598819 - Thu Feb 24 2011 01:15 PM Interview with SilverMoonsong
Pagiedamon Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
Sypher
You've been at FunTrivia nearly as long as me - What brings you back every day to the site?

It's a combination of the people and the things I learn. My dad is the one who convinced me to join all those years ago - he said, "I think this is right up your alley!" I do believe he was correct. smile The mixture of personalities, cultures, backgrounds, education... it keeps it interesting, and that is what continues to bring me back every day.

Soozy_Woozy
Do you still enjoy editing on FunTrivia or do you have your moments when you feel that you need a break?

I DO enjoy it, but yes, I get those moments when I think "I've had enough!" Recently, skunkee went on vacation for two weeks which left me as the only crossword editor in the General category (which is the busiest). Of course, all the new authors decided that was the perfect time to submit a new puzzle! Everything I looked at needed 4-5 rounds of editing. I was SO happy when she came back. smile Even when you have rough patches like that, it's exciting when you see that same author who struggled through their first puzzle take everything they learned and give you a second or third puzzle that goes right online.

Something that I don't think anyone remembers is that I was the very first Music Editor, way back when the quiz side of things first started. It was VERY different back then. We didn't have all the guidelines in place - we had to make them up as we went along. I think I may have been the first editor to close a category to new submissions - I was getting all Britney Spears and N'SYNC quizzes, and OH MY, they were so bad! I was very happy (at the time) to turn it over to someone else.

skunkee
Your father is a legend to many of the longtime members here. I came onboard too late to have had the pleasure of knowing him. Is there some valuable life lesson that he taught you, that you feel willing to share?

Oh, there are so many things I've learned from my dad. He was the smartest man I've ever known. When I'm faced with something that I'm just not sure about, I have to ask myself how HE would have handled it. One of the many lessons I keep close to my heart (and brain) is, never lose your cool. If someone is ranting at you (specifically using foul language), you don't have to bring yourself down to their level. In fact, it's quite amusing to calmly reply to them using language that might actually make them use a dictionary to look up a word or two. wink He was very Irish, and taught me that you can tell someone to go to Hades so that they look forward to the trip!

Soozy_Woozy and skunkee
You are very passionate about your dogs and even have them as your avatar. How do your dogs influence your lifestyle? How many dogs have you got now? What are their names and breeds, and how long have you had them?

I actually only have one dog, but I also have 3 cats! Hoshi is my Siberian Husky, and he's a handful, for sure. He's almost 2.5, so he's still a very playful puppy. It's very much like having a rambunctious child. My cats are: Emaleth (Emmie) who is 13, Squeak is 10 and Tigger is 7.5. Emmie is a Chocolate Tortie and is very much Queen of the House. She and I are the only females in a houseful of men. Squeak is a Russian Blue, and Tigger is a Maine Coon/Somali mix.

I picked Emmie up from the pound when she was about 8 months old. She's been my baby ever since. I was given Squeak by an employee after we had to put one of our cats to sleep. I was actually at work when I got the call that they needed to put him down, and I couldn't leave. I just bawled my eyes out in the office, then went back to work. The employee told me her cat had just had kittens, and asked if I wanted one. A few weeks later, I got a little grey fuzzball.

Tigger is an interesting story. We were moving up to Raleigh from South Florida, and around 2am we stopped at an IHOP in Florence, SC for some food. I was driving the truck with the car trailer attached, and the hubby was driving the other car with the dog and two cats. When we came out of the IHOP, I heard this pathetic mewling coming from the car parked next to the truck. I looked around and saw this tiny little scrap of orange fur hiding in the wheel well of the car. He was so tiny, and starving. I coaxed him out, had the hubby run over to WalMart to get another kitty carrier, some milk and soft food, and we brought him home. He's now a happy, lovey, HUGE cat.

skunkee
You are on the road a lot for your work. Does that affect how you like to spend your vacations (i.e. would you rather take a vacation where a lot of travel, especially driving, is not involved)?

I don't mind driving TO my vacation (usually the mountains or the beach), but once I'm there, I'd rather not drive. Last year, however, we went to the mountains and were 'chasing' waterfalls. There is an area up in the mountains where there are about 250 waterfalls sprinkled over about a 2 county area. We got to see (I think) 14 of them (might have been a few more than that). Some were very easy to get to - right off the side of the road. Others we had to hike or climb to find. One of them (my favorite, actually) was simply horrible to get to! We had to climb straight up the side of the mountain about 50 feet, grabbing onto tree roots and such, then hiking in on an old logging trail about .5 miles through the woods. It was amazing! I did a LOT of driving that week, but it was worth it.

Sypher
You list bowling as a hobby - is that ten-pin or green bowls? If ten-pin, what is your highest score and what type of bowler are you? (straight, hook etc.)

Ten pin! smile I used to play on a league, but with the job I have now, I really can't do it anymore. My highest score was 196 (so I'm not a competitive bowler, but not horrible, either).

I tend to throw a fairly straight ball, but the ball I have now was drilled especially for me and how I throw. Our pro shop is run by a former Pro Champion. He had me throw a few balls so he could see how I bowled, asked if I wanted to continue throwing a straight ball or have a hook, and then he took several measurements of my hand and fingers. He drilled the ball off-center for me so I can throw the ball the same way, but have it hook. Awesome, eh? smile

Sypher
Another one of your hobbies listed is music - If you could play any instrument and then go into a recording studio...who would you like to record with?

Oooh, music isn't just a hobby, it's a passion. I've been singing since I was 5, learned how to read music in first grade, and taught myself to play piano when I was 12. I was a Music Education major in college, and had to take classes on all the instruments, so I can play a little bit of many instruments. smile In Brass I had to learn Trumpet (hated it) and Trombone (loved it). Woodwinds class was Clarinet (hated), Saxophone (loved) and flute (loved). Strings class was Double Bass (hated) and Cello (LOVED). I loved Percussion - we spent one class on the Drum Kit, then the rest of the semester we got to play with every type of percussion instrument imaginable.

If I were going to record, I'd have to choose Voice (singing is my first love). I don't know if I could choose one person to record with, however. I think my absolute *hero* is Julie Andrews, so I'd have to record with her before she had the botched surgery (I do believe I cried the day I heard they ruined her vocal chords). If I were to choose someone current, perhaps Josh Groban. He is SO talented. I've had a little musical crush on him since he was about 17.

My favorite instrument that isn't *me* would be the Cello. When I had strings class, I took to the Cello like a fish to water. The sound it produces is so gorgeous, there's just nothing else like it. If I were able to play, I would want to record with Alasdair Fraser. If you get a chance, check him out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTbrbLC4q_U

Soozy_Woozy
Your mountain bike seems to be very important to you. When did you first start riding and have you had any scary moments whilst riding on it?

I haven't been riding that long - just under a year now. I started as part of my exercise regimen and loved it so much that I'm training for some big rides (and I've actually bought a rather expensive road bike!). The Tour de Femme is in October and I'm training for the 100km ride. This is a women only benefit ride for the Lance Armstrong Livestrong Foundation as well as the local Rex Hospital Angel Fund. The link for last year's ride is here: http://www.letourdefemme.org/

Scary? Oh yes... although I've only had one bad crash. I went down on old railroad gravel and tore myself up pretty badly. Then I got up, dusted myself off, and rode 17 miles. I'm a tough cookie. laugh I don't do crazy stunts, though, so no really horrible crashes while flying down the side of a mountain.

Copago
How much do you cycle a week? What are you goals with it and what do you do instead in bad weather?

I was doing around 20 miles a day before the weather turned nasty, and riding 4-5 days a week. The weather is getting nicer again, so we'll be heading back outdoors again, very soon. I can't wait! I mentioned above that I'm training for a 100km ride (Le Tour de Femme). There are other rides I'd like to take part in - 24 hours of booty is a big one - you can ride 200-300 miles over the course of 3 days. I'll have to work hard to prepare for that one!

My cycling partner has an extra bicycle trainer (if you aren't familiar with them, you can put your bike on it so you can ride it like a stationary bike). I put a picture of our "Bicycle Torture Chamber" on my Facebook page. Two bikes up on the trainers, with a Sufferfest training video on the computer. Riding the trainer is almost as boring as walking on a treadmill, but it's really necessary to get through the winter without turning into a slug.

Copago
What are some tips you would give to having a healthy lifestyle?

The biggest thing I can tell you is, if you are starting out overweight, PLEASE make sure you work with your doctor. Get clearance before you start any type of exercise program. Your doctor can tell you how hard you can exercise so you won't hurt yourself. It also gives you some feeling of accountability. I had to weigh in once a month with my doctor for 6 months. It's amazing how motivating that is!

Second - get an exercise buddy! It really works. I have an amazing cycling buddy, and he told me just the other day that I actually inspire him. If he didn't have me, he would probably skip his exercising/training more than half the time. Heck, I know I would do the same! Knowing that he will be waiting for me motivates me, and you all know that showing up is half the battle, right?

Third - learn how to eat properly. I have to eat 5-6 smaller meals a day, and I have lots of food allergies. During winter I have to eat a little less because I'm exercising less. In summer I exercise more, so I'm burning calories faster, and I have to eat more. You need to talk with your doctor or a nutritionist to work out a proper meal plan.

Gatsby722
I know you're a fan of "American Idol", and I'm always glad to share discussions about it with you. Let's pretend the theme of tonight's show is "Songs That Inspired SilverMoonsong". What are one or two tunes you definitely hope one of the contestants pick to sing? And why?

Oooh, singing! YAY! Hmmm... only one or two? Oh heck.

*think* *think* *think*

This is a tough one, actually. There are songs I like to sing, songs that are requested I sing, songs I enjoy listening to (which aren't always the ones I can sing), etc.

Different songs inspire me in different ways at different times, so I guess I can only give you the songs that inspire me *for now*.

"Hallelujah" by k.d. lang - This is a gorgeous song, and this is the absolute BEST version, ever. If you can find a video of her performing it at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, do so.

"To Where You Are" by Josh Groban - This one is very personal for me. If you have ever believed that someone was "watching over you," you should give this one a listen. Have a tissue handy.

(And here's the odd one of the day)
"Beloved" by VNV Nation - this one isn't so much for the music, it's all about the lyrics. If you read it first, then listen, you might understand why I love this one so much.

Gatsby722
Yay! The Oscars are coming up (and I'm pretty sure you're a fan of those, too!). So? What's it going to be: "The Social Network" or "The King's Speech" named Best Picture? If the decision was entirely yours, which would you choose? And, of course, why?

I'm hoping it will be "True Grit". I'm a HUGE fan of the Coen Brothers, and of all the movies on the list, this is the one I want to see most. I've heard amazing reviews about the movie in general, and about Jeff Bridges, specifically. Did I mention I LOVE the Coens? One of my favorite movies EVER is "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?"

If I had to choose from the two you mentioned, I would definitely go with "The King's Speech". I haven't seen either one, but from the buzz I've heard, it's a great movie. It also has Colin Firth and Bellatrix LeStrange (I mean Helena Bonham Carter!). How could you go wrong?

skunkee
What's the best movie you have seen this year?

Actually, the last movie I saw (in the theatre) was Harry Potter, and I think prior to that was Avatar. I don't go very often because it's SO expensive. I try to catch a movie here and there on DVD or on TV when they show them. The next movie I know for certain I'll go see in the theatre is... Harry Potter!

Of the movies I've seen NOT in the theatre this past year, I think "Zombieland" has to be my favorite. I don't know when it was actually released, but I saw it last summer and absolutely LOVED it.

Gatsby722
Congratulations! You've been contracted to write a cookbook about your favorite foods! It's gotta be a *themed* one, though. I'm wondering what that theme would be, what the title of the book might be and what delicious photograph of a representative dish would appear on the cover of it.

I was going to say CHOCOLATE, but that was more of a gut reaction. smile I think I would have to do a cookbook on healthy, home-cooked meals. When prepared fresh, even a lasagna can be (sort of) healthy. Using lean ground beef or even better, ground turkey (skip the fatty sausage!) and low-fat, skim-milk cheeses will make a huge difference. Making your own sauce from fresh tomatoes (from your local farmers' market) is also far better than buying canned sauce. I also make a mean home-made chili and one-heck-of-a Shepherd's Pie.

I have NO idea what the title could be... any suggestions from the Peanut Gallery? Om Nom Nom? laugh

For the picture, perhaps a slice of that lasagna, hot from the oven, all ooey-gooey and melty. Yum!

Thanks to all who took part.

#598840 - Thu Feb 24 2011 02:40 PM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: Pagiedamon]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Great interview, SilverMoon. So it said that your dad is a legend to long time members... I am obviously not long-time-member-long-enough, so I have no idea who this is. Care to let me know? smile

#598845 - Thu Feb 24 2011 03:05 PM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: salami_swami]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
Originally Posted By: salami_swami
Great interview, SilverMoon. So it said that your dad is a legend to long time members... I am obviously not long-time-member-long-enough, so I have no idea who this is. Care to let me know? smile

I can tell you that one, ss (Yes, I have been around that long). His FT name was Gunslinger, and there was a tribute to him at one point in time.

#598851 - Thu Feb 24 2011 03:21 PM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: dg_dave]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Great interview! Really made me realize how little I knew about you, SMs, compared to most of the rest of the staff!

Your job came up a few times in the questions/answers, so I'm curious - what do you do?

#598870 - Thu Feb 24 2011 03:44 PM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: guitargoddess]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Very interesting interview, I enjoyed it immensely.
It prompted me to look up Gunslinger's posts. I remember him, we all loved him above all for his fairness. This comes out time and time again, how quick he was to respond to people in trouble, upset, puzzled, whatever. This is from my own experience and it is obvious that he was helping all over. I could not find any instance where he judged. Only where he suggested and calmed things down. What a great guy. We miss him still.

#598881 - Thu Feb 24 2011 04:46 PM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: ren33]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Originally Posted By: ren33
I remember him, we all loved him above all for his fairness. This comes out time and time again, how quick he was to respond to people in trouble, upset, puzzled, whatever. This is from my own experience and it is obvious that he was helping all over. I could not find any instance where he judged. Only where he suggested and calmed things down. What a great guy.

This is very much the truth. For those of you who didn't know Gunslinger, he was definitely an integral part of what FT is today.

Look here for a memoriam to Gunslinger (I knew I could find it!)

#598887 - Thu Feb 24 2011 05:24 PM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: dg_dave]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I never knew GunSlinger myself, but I did know how important he was around here. I had read about him where dgd has mentioned before. I just didn't know he was SilverMoonSong's father!

#598941 - Thu Feb 24 2011 07:28 PM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: dg_dave]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
Originally Posted By: dg_dave
This is very much the truth. For those of you who didn't know Gunslinger, he was definitely an integral part of what FT is today.

Look here for a memoriam to Gunslinger (I knew I could find it!)

Thanks for finding that! I hadn't realized it was no longer up at the top of the forums.

#598942 - Thu Feb 24 2011 07:35 PM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: guitargoddess]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Originally Posted By: guitargoddess
Great interview! Really made me realize how little I knew about you, SMs, compared to most of the rest of the staff!

Your job came up a few times in the questions/answers, so I'm curious - what do you do?

Since I only edit crosswords, there are many of the editors who don't know me at all unless I've edited their puzzles.

For now, I'm a truck driver. I haul beer and wine for a local distributor from the warehouse down to the distribution center near Wilmington, NC. What I drop off gets delivered to all the beaches (restaurants, stores, etc.) and Camp Lejeune. I'm trying to get back into the warehouse in a management position so I can get myself back on a regular schedule, and so I don't have to be on the roads at night with all the truly horrible drivers (I see some AMAZING things, and wonder how people get their license!). I also don't like driving in really bad weather, but people MUST have their beer! grin

#598943 - Thu Feb 24 2011 07:55 PM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: SilverMoonsong]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Cool!

#598956 - Thu Feb 24 2011 10:17 PM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: guitargoddess]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Thanks DG_Dave, I read it through yet again and had tears yet again , this after -is it-8 years?

#598961 - Thu Feb 24 2011 10:35 PM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: ren33]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I don't dare read it again, because, even though I never knew GunSlinger, I read it when I first joined the forums. I remember tearing up, and so I won't read it again. I'm not one for sad things.

#599023 - Fri Feb 25 2011 04:24 AM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: ren33]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Thanks DG_Dave, I read it through yet again and had tears yet again , this after -is it-8 years?

Close enough - 7 1/2 years. I can't read it either. I just bawl my eyes out.

#599033 - Fri Feb 25 2011 05:53 AM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: SilverMoonsong]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
A really interesting interview. Sadly, I never got to "know" Gunslinger, he died not long before I decided to join the Forums part of Funtrivia, but I know how important he is to everyone who had the pleasure of knowing him.

#599055 - Fri Feb 25 2011 07:17 AM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: JaneMarple]
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Great interview.

I so very nearly met Larry in the flesh when I went to Atlanta, he was hoping to visit you Kelly then meet me but alas it didn't happen.

#599079 - Fri Feb 25 2011 10:22 AM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: ren33]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

I didn't mean for it to make people cry, but wanted people to find it again since it's not on the forums page anymore. frown

#599169 - Fri Feb 25 2011 03:46 PM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: sue943]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Originally Posted By: sue943
Great interview.

I so very nearly met Larry in the flesh when I went to Atlanta, he was hoping to visit you Kelly then meet me but alas it didn't happen.

I think I remember that. I wish you had been able to meet him. He was an amazing man. I still miss him.

#599722 - Sun Feb 27 2011 08:58 AM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: SilverMoonsong]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Great interview, SM. And you are so right about lots of horrible drivers out here. We so often go to Camp Lejeune that next time I'm there and having a beer, I'll think of you. laugh

Edited by ClaraSue (Sun Feb 27 2011 09:00 AM)

#599764 - Sun Feb 27 2011 12:06 PM Re: Interview with SilverMoonsong [Re: ClaraSue]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Originally Posted By: ClaraSue
Great interview, SM. And you are so right about lots of horrible drivers out here. We so often go to Camp Lejeune that next time I'm there and having a beer, I'll think of you. laugh

Cheers! smile

Moderator:  Pagiedamon, romeomikegolf, sue943