Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#602770 - Mon Mar 07 2011 07:07 AM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: Copago]
auntie1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Kingsville VIC Australia
MG; Daughter once took a small aquarium to school to house and study a white mouse, soon named "Souris". After earning her Certificate of Mousemanship I found that if I did not authorise the school to send "Souris" home with her, the mouse would have to be humanely destroyed.
Souris was a pleasant little critter, but a little plumper than I would have anticipated..... turns out daughter's schoolfriend had a mouse named Henry who occasionally shared Souris' lodgings because the innocent little girls thought the mice looked lonely.
The progeny were all males, and it did not end well!

Copago; The only time I ever tasted yabbies was in a heavenly dish which included Moreton Bay Bug and Marron (the crayfish, not the chestnut). For fear of disappointment, I won't eat them again unless I find the same delicious combination on offer.

#602813 - Mon Mar 07 2011 10:08 AM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: auntie1]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Lots of swans on a pond. Photo taken today while out riding:

#602830 - Mon Mar 07 2011 12:31 PM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: tellywellies]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
A view of Claygate from the park

UN IPCC

#602853 - Mon Mar 07 2011 03:07 PM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: satguru]
Gees63 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tyneside UK
Even though it has been a bright and sunny day today I am posting an indoor picture taken at Newcastle Discovery Museum

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Turbinia was the first steam turbine-powered steamship. Built as an experimental vessel in 1894, and easily the fastest ship in the world at that time, Turbinia was demonstrated dramatically at the Spithead Navy Review in 1897 and set the standard for the next generation of steamships, the majority of which were turbine powered. The vessel can still be seen at the Discovery Museum in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, while her original powerplant can be found at the London Science Museum.

Charles Algernon Parsons invented the steam turbine in 1884, and having foreseen its potential to power ships he set up the Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Company with five associates in 1893. To develop this he had the experimental vessel Turbinia built in a light design of steel by the firm of Brown and Hood, based at Wallsend on Tyne.
The Admiralty was kept informed of developments, and Turbinia was launched on 2 August 1894. Despite the success of the turbine engine, initial trials with one propeller were disappointing. After discovering the problem of cavitation and constructing the first cavitation tunnel, Parsons' research led to him fitting three axial-flow turbines to three shafts, each shaft in turn driving three propellers. In trials this achieved a top speed of over 34 knots (63 km/h), so that "the passengers aboard would be convinced beyond all doubt Turbinia was Charles Parsons' winning North Sea greyhound".
Demonstration

Parsons' ship turned up unannounced[1] at the Navy Review for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee at Spithead, on 26 June 1897, in front of the Prince of Wales, Lords of the Admiralty and foreign dignitaries. As an audacious publicity stunt, the Turbinia, which was much faster than all other ships of the time, raced between the two lines of large ships and steamed up and down in front of the crowd and princes with impunity, while easily evading a Navy picket boat that tried to stop her, indeed, almost swamping it with her wake.[2]
From this clear demonstration of her speed and power and after further high speed trials attended by the Admiralty, Parsons set up the Turbinia Works at Wallsend, which then constructed the engines for two turbine-powered destroyers for the Navy, HMS Viper and HMS Cobra, which were launched in 1899. Although both these vessels came to grief, for reasons not connected with the engines, the Admiralty was convinced. In 1900 the Turbinia steamed to Paris and was shown to French officials and then displayed at the Paris Exhibition.
The first turbine-powered merchant vessel, the Clyde steamer TS King Edward, followed in 1901. The Admiralty confirmed in 1905 that all future Royal Navy vessels were to be turbine-powered, and in 1906 the first turbine-powered battleship, the revolutionary HMS Dreadnought, was launched.
Turbinia was cut into two pieces when she was accidentally rammed by a ship being launched across-river from the south bank of the Tyne in 1927, but was restored in the 1960s, when she was put on display at Newcastle's Museum of Science and Engineering (later renamed The Military Vehicle Museum). Listed as part of the National Historic Fleet, Core Collection, in 2000, the vessel was the focal point of a year-long £10.7m redevelopment programme at Newcastle's Discovery Museum. The gallery around Turbinia was the first area to be refurbished, with the main part of the work involving raising the roof by one storey to create viewing galleries on three levels.

#602944 - Mon Mar 07 2011 05:44 PM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: Gees63]
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: South Carolina USA

Walking across a lock gate
Miraflores Locks, Panama Canal

#602954 - Mon Mar 07 2011 06:13 PM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: bhs63]
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
Our local theatre, where I am-dram...

#603146 - Tue Mar 08 2011 10:58 AM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: Quiz_Beagle]
Gees63 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tyneside UK
Blackfriars Newcastle

From Wikipedia
Blackfriars is a restored 13th-century friary in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, England. It is in the city centre
Early history
During the early years of the 13th century, orders of friars began to establish themselves in England. Newcastle came to have five friaries within its walls: Blackfriars (Dominican) established in 1239; Whitefriars (Carmelite) established in 1262; Austinfriars (Augustinian) established in 1290 (now the site of the Holy Jesus Hospital); Greyfriars (Franciscans) established in 1274 and the Trinitarians established in 1360. There was also the nunnery of St Bartholomew’s founded in 1086 near the present Nun Street.
The Dominican friary was founded by a wealthy Newcastle merchant, Sir Peter Scott. Friars differed from monks, in that worship featured less prominently in the daily routine of the friary. They were clerics who initially lived solely by begging, and they were mostly located in urban areas. They were therefore known as mendicant orders. The Dominican order was founded by St Dominic, also known as Dominic of Osma, shortly after 1200.
Dominicans were forbidden to own buildings and land, but such property could be held in trust for them. Such was the case with Blackfriars, which was situated in the north west of Newcastle just inside the city walls. The friary covered seven acres (2.83 hectares), but also had two gardens and four small closes that provided a small income.
During the 14th century, the friary accommodated royalty on more than one occasion. In 1334 Edward III of England and Edward Balliol, king of Scotland were present there, when Balliol did homage to Edward III for the kingdom of Scotland.
Reformation
During the Reformation begun by Henry VIII in 1536, the five Newcastle friaries and the single nunnery were dissolved and the land was sold to the Corporation and to rich merchants. At this time there were fewer than 60 inmates of the religious houses in Newcastle. The convent of Blackfriars was sold to the mayor and burgesses of Newcastle, who then leased it to nine of the town’s craft guilds, to be used as their headquarters. This probably explains why it is the only one of the religious houses whose building survives to the present day.

The guilds carried out extensive changes to adapt the cloistered buildings to their own use. This was carried out in the late 16th and early 17th centuries. Between 1709 and 1739 many further alterations were made, such as providing new windows and altering floor levels. Some of the guilds, such as the Tailors and the Cordwainers, moved out of Blackfriars for a while and subsequently returned. The guilds’ meeting houses in Blackfriars were well used until the 19th century. The guilds only met in them once a quarter, so that they were used for other purposes the rest of the time. Ground floor rooms often served as dwellings, either for people employed by the guilds, or for the needy, who lived there free of rent
Neglect and subsequent restoration
During much of the 19th century and into the 20th century, the buildings of Blackfriars were neglected and fell into an increasingly bad state of repair. In 1937 the Saddlers’ property was declared as unfit for human habitation.
Newcastle Corporation acquired Blackfriars in the early 1950s. At one time there appeared to be a possibility that the Dominicans might return to occupy Blackfriars, but this did not happen. The guild of Tailors, among others, continued to meet at Blackfriars until 1974.
Between 1975 and 1981, the buildings of Blackfriars were restored.
Blackfriars now
Only the buildings of the cloisters remain. In the Middle Ages the cloister consisted of an open garth, approximately 69ft (21m) square surrounded by a 10ft (3m) wide covered walk. The covered walk no longer exists. The friary church was at the north end of the cloister, but was demolished in the 16th century. The outline of the church can be made out in the grassy space that remains.

The buildings now house a range of craft workshops and a restaurant owned by Andy Hook with Head chef James Balloch. Blackfriars also houses an exhibition, which describes the history of Blackfriars. The large grassed courtyard contrasts with the busy city life that surrounds it.

The site is close to the most intact section of the old town walls.

#603169 - Tue Mar 08 2011 03:29 PM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: Gees63]
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ

Back to San Francisco again and "Alcatraz Clipper", the boat I travelled on to 'visit' Alcatraz.....

#603267 - Tue Mar 08 2011 04:28 PM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: Howie72]
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Today being Shrove Tuesday is Pancake Day, so here is a picture of my lunch - blueberry pancakes, at my favourite little bakery/restaurant downtown smile

#603297 - Tue Mar 08 2011 05:25 PM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: spanishliz]
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Buenos Aires
Argentina    ...
Hmmm, those pancakes look delicious, Liz! laugh The other day I made blueberry pancakes from scratch for the first time ever! They turned out really good. The only thing missing was maple syrup... but I can't find it anywhere over here frown

#603301 - Tue Mar 08 2011 05:53 PM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: minkpenny]
Champion Poster

I had to get people visiting from Canada to bring me maple syrup when I lived in Spain. I know how you feel smile

#603372 - Tue Mar 08 2011 07:38 PM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: spanishliz]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

I've always liked modern office blocks- there are very few groups of them over here until Canary Wharf went up in the 2000s, but Uxbridge here and Croydon more so are the minor versions at least.

UN IPCC

#603387 - Tue Mar 08 2011 09:05 PM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: satguru]
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

A llama plotting revenge...

#603477 - Wed Mar 09 2011 05:28 AM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: Quiz_Beagle]
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
And here I present Mr. Gibraltar

The Barbary Macaque from Gibraltar is the only monkey native to the European continent, it is Gibraltar's national symbol and they are thriving, there are more than 250 of them living in the Upper Rock area, although occasionally you will see some roaming around town. They are very friendly, and not afraid of people, and they are great thieves and sometimes can create a bit of havoc.

#603480 - Wed Mar 09 2011 05:55 AM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: szabs]
auntie1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Kingsville VIC Australia

One of my most welcome garden visitors is the New Holland Honey-eater.

#603484 - Wed Mar 09 2011 06:13 AM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: auntie1]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia

More sculptures by the sea.

#603486 - Wed Mar 09 2011 06:39 AM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: Quiz_Beagle]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Originally Posted By: Quiz_Beagle
A llama plotting revenge...

And after you whacked me so thoroughly in Knockout yesterday, we all know on whom revenge will be exacted! wink

#603501 - Wed Mar 09 2011 08:09 AM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: flopsymopsy]
zorba_scank Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mumbai India
Freshly plucked carrots

#603746 - Wed Mar 09 2011 05:24 PM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: zorba_scank]
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

After my score today, the Llama's Revenge probably happened :-(

Racing in the Solent...

#603786 - Wed Mar 09 2011 07:45 PM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: Quiz_Beagle]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Another newly discovered park only a couple of miles away in Queensbury (it's nothing to do with Kingsbury, they opened a station there and had a competition to name it, it was actually part of Stanmore till then). The poo bin is a necessary evil for photography and better getting in the way than treading in it without them.

UN IPCC

#603788 - Wed Mar 09 2011 08:32 PM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: satguru]
Champion Poster

This is a view of my sister's back yard at about five o'clock this afternoon. Most of the snow had been gone, then it snowed all afternoon...

#603858 - Thu Mar 10 2011 04:24 AM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: spanishliz]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
great photos! I thought you'd be out of the snow by now, Liz? Can't be long before the summer!

#603884 - Thu Mar 10 2011 08:07 AM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: Copago]
Champion Poster

Quote:
I thought you'd be out of the snow by now, Liz?

So did we! It has turned to rain now as it is quite warm (i.e. above freezing).

#603893 - Thu Mar 10 2011 10:14 AM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: spanishliz]
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

2007 - and the French advertise the World Cup with some nifty trompe-l'œil on the buildings around the city...taken from the Arc de Triomphe IIRC...

#603909 - Thu Mar 10 2011 11:58 AM Re: March Photo a Day thread [Re: Quiz_Beagle]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia

This sculpture is not attached to the building - it's an optical illusion created by the angle at which the photo was taken.

Edited by MotherGoose (Thu Mar 10 2011 11:59 AM)

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Copago, flopsymopsy