Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#601705 - Fri Mar 04 2011 12:02 AM Re: How do players answer so quickly? [Re: BxBarracuda]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
If I'm looking at possibly being put on death row, I'll take the lawyer who finds the answers which will win my case rather than one who goes off the top of his head.

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#601720 - Fri Mar 04 2011 01:21 AM Re: How do players answer so quickly? [Re: cubswin2323]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
If we're equating playing games here with having your life on the line, we're taking this whole thing far too seriously. They're games - you win some, you lose some, some get rained out - or your server crashes in the middle of it all. Some people like to memorise things, some people like to develop skills at looking things up quickly. I take around 5 seconds per question even if I know the answer after seeing the first word, because my computer-manipulation skills aren't crash hot, which is why the Easy Game is not one in which I can make much contribution to my team's scores. But they put up with me.

#601745 - Fri Mar 04 2011 02:40 AM Re: How do players answer so quickly? [Re: cubswin2323]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Originally Posted By: cubswin2323
If I'm looking at possibly being put on death row, I'll take the lawyer who finds the answers which will win my case rather than one who goes off the top of his head.

And I'd rather take the doctor who can cure me quicker knowing the answer than the one who decides to Google the symptoms when I should really be getting into the O-R.

Again, it's not really possible to sway anyone on this matter. Some will Google and some will not. There's not really a right side and a wrong side here, and it's a non-issue which likely won't be looked into. Terry started this thread to clear up the question once and for all, but people don't seem to be too satisfied with the choice to let it lie.

Where did that dead horse go? confused

Edited by kyleisalive (Fri Mar 04 2011 02:41 AM)

#601787 - Fri Mar 04 2011 08:43 AM Re: How do players answer so quickly? [Re: looney_tunes]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Hope you enjoyed the chicken, and please tip the wait staff!

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#601860 - Fri Mar 04 2011 11:44 AM Re: How do players answer so quickly? [Re: cubswin2323]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I googled 'quick smarmy reply' and got: "That was chicken? I thought it tasted like Armadillo de Amarillo."

#601865 - Fri Mar 04 2011 11:52 AM Re: How do players answer so quickly? [Re: BxBarracuda]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
And let me just say that slow times can be due to slow connections, phones ringing, reading questions incorrectly and having to reread, or myriad other reasons. Some slow times are due to googling, but others are due to the reasons I've stated.

#601885 - Fri Mar 04 2011 01:18 PM Re: How do players answer so quickly? [Re: shuehorn]
Emma058 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario Canada
I couldn't agree more with you. I just had someone ring my doorbell while I was trying to finish a quiz. Let me tell you, my time was a bit longer.
Connections have also gone down. Had to have the cable company replace their line due to the squirrels gnawing on it.
Yep, many reasons for longer times.

#602026 - Fri Mar 04 2011 06:41 PM Re: How do players answer so quickly? [Re: mehaul]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

I'm ALL about smarmy MeHaul! C'Mon man! You know that about me from the Great Dave Team Search. Actuallly, I like to think of myself as more snarky rather than smarmy! I know you were kidding when you said to Alex about the "put up with Dave" thing! (fist bump) You're a TOTALLY great guy! Wish you were with us! I want you on my team. Please.

#602192 - Sat Mar 05 2011 12:09 PM Re: How do players answer so quickly? [Re: cubswin2323]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Originally Posted By: cubswin2323
Do you think lawyers have all their case law memorized when they are actually PRACTICING law? If that's the case, the paralegal profession would be in SERIOUS trouble!

Obviously not, but believe me coming from a legal family you never forget the cases you learnt at college when you need them. But they still have to prove it before they're allowed to practice. As for memory here if I haven't played a category for a while and see an old familiar question I may still forget the answer where greater minds will not. That edge makes quite a difference.

UN IPCC

#602204 - Sat Mar 05 2011 01:19 PM Re: How do players answer so quickly? [Re: kyleisalive]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Loc: California USA
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive

And I'd rather take the doctor who can cure me quicker knowing the answer than the one who decides to Google the symptoms when I should really be getting into the O-R.

These are my feelings too. I'll take the person who already knows what they are doing over the one who thinks they are as good as the rest.

Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Again, it's not really possible to sway anyone on this matter.

True, but I'd still like to understand the reasoning why some players need to Google. Is it a fear of looking bad? Could it be a desire some players feel to want to be able to keep up with the great ones? It might not even be a deep issue. It could be that they just don't like the color red. I need to know, Kyle. I love studying people and understanding why they do the things they do.

Edited by AntonLaVey (Sat Mar 05 2011 01:19 PM)

#602271 - Sat Mar 05 2011 03:17 PM Re: How do players answer so quickly? [Re: Anton]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
For me, Anton, it's not about looking bad, or trying to keep up, it's simply preferring to see green. Even if I get 10 in 200 seconds, and get a score of, you know, 400 points, I for some reason prefer that over 6 right in 50 seconds for 500. lol. I don't really know why, actually.

#602315 - Sat Mar 05 2011 04:12 PM Re: How do players answer so quickly? [Re: salami_swami]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
True, but I'd still like to understand the reasoning why some players need to Google. Is it a fear of looking bad? Could it be a desire some players feel to want to be able to keep up with the great ones? It might not even be a deep issue. It could be that they just don't like the color red. I need to know, Kyle. I love studying people and understanding why they do the things they do.

I have no issue with curiosity, it was more of a matter with the way you presented an argument about why Googling was bad in a thread explaining that nothing would/could be done about it. Since this is a feedback forum, it's fine to state an opinion about certain aspects of the site, by all means, but this one was kind of a done deal and dialectics may only lead some less-frequent readers into assuming that changes will be made.

Just trying to maintain order and prevent arguments where they're not needed is all.

#602375 - Sat Mar 05 2011 08:19 PM Re: How do players answer so quickly? [Re: kyleisalive]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
I think we've done this death; this discussion has gone on for 8 months.
Thread closed, and stickied to the top of the forum.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Terry