Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#611971 - Sun Apr 03 2011 08:07 PM Translations. Trivia ornot?
fredsixties Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Staten Island
New York USA 
Quite often recently I've gotten a daily or hourly game question in a foreign language, that I'm supposed to translate into 4 optional answers in that very same language. I don't think this qualifies as trivia. Translation doesn't even fall within the definition of trivia. Many of my teammates feel the same way about this issue. I would say that translation questions don't teach anything unless you happen to be studying that language. Even English questions that ask to to give the meaning or definition of something aren't really trivia. Maybe there should be a special Languages catogory for those.

Edited by fredsixties (Sun Apr 03 2011 08:24 PM)

#611979 - Sun Apr 03 2011 09:45 PM Re: Translations. Trivia ornot?
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Loc: California USA
What is your definition of trivia? Here is the definition of trivia I agree with:

Definition of TRIVIA
: unimportant matters : trivial facts or details; also singular in construction : a quizzing game involving obscure facts

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trivia

Of course translations are trivia.

#611990 - Sun Apr 03 2011 10:18 PM Re: Translations. Trivia ornot?
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa
Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: fredsixties
Quite often recently I've gotten a daily or hourly game question in a foreign language, that I'm supposed to translate into 4 optional answers in that very same language. I don't think this qualifies as trivia. Translation doesn't even fall within the definition of trivia. Many of my teammates feel the same way about this issue. I would say that translation questions don't teach anything unless you happen to be studying that language. Even English questions that ask to to give the meaning or definition of something aren't really trivia. Maybe there should be a special Languages catogory for those.

I'm not sure why your team felt the need to post this twice in the forums, but I think the replies in the other thread pretty much spells it out. These questions ARE interesting to some players, and just because you (or your team) don't particularly like them doesn't make the trivia any more, ahem, trivial.

I would say that translation questions don't teach anything unless you happen to be studying that language.

Do the math questions really teach you anything unless you're studying math? Are the physics questions really necessary if you don't plan on pursuing a career in physics? A lot of people enjoy playing questions in unfamiliar territory because they like having the opportunity to learn a little something that they didn't know before. As long as the explanation in the interesting information sounds it out, there's no reason to exclude questions on foreign language.

#612027 - Mon Apr 04 2011 03:48 AM Re: Translations. Trivia or not?
fredsixties Offline
Enthusiast

New York USA 
I actually was not aware that another teammate had posted on the same topic only minutes before I did. Anyway, here's Webster's definition of trivia.
Definition of TRIVIA
: unimportant matters : trivial facts or details; also singular in construction : a quizzing game involving obscure facts.
Not sure if translating a phrase from a foreign language fits these parameters but I guess that could be said about other questions on FT as well. To each his own I guess.

Edited by fredsixties (Mon Apr 04 2011 03:53 AM)

#612031 - Mon Apr 04 2011 06:17 AM Re: Translations. Trivia ornot?
richicago Offline
Participant

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA         
And when you consider the quiz to be a "Lemon" you rate it accordingly.

#612039 - Mon Apr 04 2011 07:06 AM Re: Translations. Trivia ornot?
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted By: richicago
And when you consider the quiz to be a "Lemon" you rate it accordingly.

But don't do so if you simply don't like the topic.

Editor for Television Category

#612043 - Mon Apr 04 2011 07:23 AM Re: Translations. Trivia ornot?
richicago Offline
Participant

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA         
Lady Caitriona: Sorry, we weren't aware more than one player could put forth the same opinion. We just felt that the more players who honestly object to a situation, the better chance it would have to be considered by editors. Sorry if we offended you

#612044 - Mon Apr 04 2011 07:49 AM Re: Translations. Trivia ornot?
fredsixties Offline
Enthusiast

New York USA 
If you notice, I expressed the possibility of putting these types of questions in their own catergory, for those who enjoy them. I still believe that by defintion, translation of a foreign language is not trivia. These question pop up in some of the speed quizzes and they probably should not be included in those mixes. Another example is a question which asks you to subtract one Roman numeral from another and write it in the same form. Why should a question like this appear in the FITB quiz when timing is everything?

#612045 - Mon Apr 04 2011 08:27 AM Re: Translations. Trivia ornot?
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa
Ontario Canada
I actually was not aware that another teammate had posted on the same topic only minutes before I did.

The time-stamps on these two threads are four hours apart.

#612049 - Mon Apr 04 2011 09:00 AM Re: Translations. Trivia ornot?
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
If you notice, I expressed the possibility of putting these types of questions in their own catergory, for those who enjoy them. I still believe that by defintion, translation of a foreign language is not trivia. These question pop up in some of the speed quizzes and they probably should not be included in those mixes. Another example is a question which asks you to subtract one Roman numeral from another and write it in the same form. Why should a question like this appear in the FITB quiz when timing is everything?

Terry has previously said it's fair because all the players are getting similar/the same questions.

In addition by your definition, most everything on this site isn't trivia. So you object to most every question on this site?

Editor for Television Category

#612050 - Mon Apr 04 2011 09:00 AM Re: Translations. Trivia or not?
fredsixties Offline
Enthusiast

New York USA 
It seems that you are more concerned with why there are two posts than with actually discussing the subject objectively.

#612056 - Mon Apr 04 2011 10:07 AM Re: Translations. Trivia or not?
longcoolwoman2 Offline
Participant

Loc: Rogers Arkansas USA     
I encouraged my teammates (Fred and Rich) to come to the Forums to post their concerns about language questions in the timed games. It would seem that was a mistake. While one may not agree with the content of the thread, I see no need to rudely point out that there were duplicates. A polite explanation of the rules of posting would have sufficed.

#612073 - Mon Apr 04 2011 11:55 AM Re: Translations. Trivia or not?
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
I don't think mentioning that there is a duplicate thread and posting a link to it is rude. LadyCaitriona mentioned it because there is not much point in players contributing to this thread things that may have already been discussed in depth in the other one. Just because someone doesn't agree with you it doesn't mean they're being rude.

I think answering a language question without having any knowledge of that language is akin to answering a question about a book I've never heard of - it's going to be a complete guess anyway, but it still has a place not only on the site, but also in the timed games. With a language question, it should apparent quickly if you know the answer or not, so I don't see how it differs much from other questions in the timed games. It's not like math questions where you have to work them out. You pretty much know them or you don't, in general.

#612075 - Mon Apr 04 2011 12:15 PM Re: Translations. Trivia or not?
longcoolwoman2 Offline
Participant

Loc: Rogers Arkansas USA     
I did not state where I stood on the matter, so your reasoning about me finding the comment rude because we were not in agreement does not apply.

Moderator:  agony