Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#597537 - Sun Feb 20 2011 10:16 AM Happy February from Alberta
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Just thought I'd share today's weather report with anyone who is feeling logy and depressed. You could always come to "brisk" central Alberta.

Forecast

Issued: 5:00 AM MST Sunday 20 February 2011
Wind chill warning in effect.

Today:
Sunny. Wind south 30 km/h. High minus 21. Wind chill minus 46 this morning and minus 36 this afternoon.

Tonight:
Clear. Wind south 20 km/h. Low minus 25 with temperature rising to minus 22 by morning. Wind chill minus 37.

Monday:
A mix of sun and cloud. Clearing late in the afternoon. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 11. Wind chill minus 32.

#597539 - Sun Feb 20 2011 10:53 AM Re: Happy February from Alberta [Re: agony]
Daymare Offline
Explorer

Wow!

Thanks for the weather forecast.

While I would love to visit/move to central Alberta, I don't have enough clothes to layer as much as would be required in order to go outside.

How in the world do you manage?

#597544 - Sun Feb 20 2011 11:26 AM Re: Happy February from Alberta [Re: Daymare]
agony Offline

Administrator

Those who have to be outside for long periods - people with outdoor jobs, say - have proper clothes. Cars have internal block heaters, to keep engines from freezing solid - you have to plug these in, so this time of year all cars will have an electrical cord hanging from under the hood. Schools stay open in almost all weather, but the kids have recess inside when the outside temps are colder than minus 20 including windchill (all temps are in Celsius, though when it's this cold, it doesn't make much difference - minus 40 is the same either C or F).

Most of us don't go outside more than we must when things are this extreme; we scurry from house to car. My dog's walk this weekend has been to get the mail - about sixty yards. Just about everybody owns decent winter gear, even if we don't always wear it. A parka, good boots, heavy mitts... The homeless population in the winter is pretty small.

My husband had an outside job - he worked in the oil patch, which is very active in the winter as it's easier to get to remote locations when the ground is frozen. He wore long johns under his jeans, a sweater over his t shirt, insulated full body coveralls, a heavy parka, a down filled hard hat liner, thinsulite filled mitts over work gloves, and, sometimes, a balaclava. The dangerous part was when they were working with water - you really do not want to get your clothes soaked at minus forty. Something to keep in mind when you are complaining about the high price of gasoline...

#597546 - Sun Feb 20 2011 11:37 AM Re: Happy February from Alberta [Re: agony]
Daymare Offline
Explorer

I don't complain about the price of gas. It is what it is.

I just turned up the heat in the house. For some reason, I suddenly was cold....lol

You are a brave group of people.

Are you looking forward to Spring? smile

#603720 - Wed Mar 09 2011 04:55 PM Re: Happy February from Alberta [Re: Daymare]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Spring in Alberta doesn't arrive until either April or May. This "season" is really just another 3 weeks of "bad sledding" until "summer" arrives, followed by the first frost two months later LOL.

I'm not sure I'd consider us "brave", however. The older I get, the more I believe we're either "too set in our ways to move", "can't afford to move", or "too stubborn/dumb to move" or "can't move at all" LOL.

Agony: as a firefighter, hubby can attest to the dangers of working with water in low temps, but the oil patch boys are exposed to it for much longer periods. The pay is relatively good, but I personally couldn't do the job!

#611366 - Sat Apr 02 2011 07:39 AM Re: Happy February from Alberta [Re: Jakeroo]
agony Offline

Administrator

Well, it's technically spring here now, but a long long way from tender fronds peeking out of the soil.

March was a difficult month, lots of snow and some very low temps. Even though temperatures have been closer to seasonal the last two weeks, it's still very much winter around here.

Snow is 18 inches - 2 feet deep in most places, and not light fluffy snow that will melt in a day. This is hard pack which has been here since mid November. It's getting soft now, but there is still just so darn much of it.

I was out in the playground yesterday, which of course has been pounded down hard by little feet all winter. I was sinking in about four inches with every step - very very hard to walk. And every now and then I'd step someplace not so pounded flat, and go in up to my knee. It wasn't as bad for me as for one little guy I was with, though - he's 20 months old, and for the most part he could walk on top of the snow because he's so light. Except for when he'd go through, and then he was waist deep - stuck, of course, and when I'd wade over to rescue him, his boots would come off and stay at the bottom of the hole when I'd lift him out.

If temps continue high for the weekend (we're getting in the mid-high 40's F in the daytime) we should be seeing some bare patches by Monday. Until then, I think I'll stick to the pavement.

#611379 - Sat Apr 02 2011 10:03 AM Re: Happy February from Alberta [Re: agony]
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, MalagaSpain
Agony I do feel for you, and the little guy!

Weather forecast here in sunny southern Spain for the past few days has been up to 25C, summer is nearly here, went sailing this morning for the first time this year, but the water was still a tad cold for comfort.

#615993 - Sat Apr 16 2011 05:23 PM Re: Happy February from Alberta [Re: szabs]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TXUSA
And to think I've been over 30C already three times now!

#616000 - Sat Apr 16 2011 06:36 PM Re: Happy February from Alberta [Re: dg_dave]
agony Offline

Administrator

We had a couple of nice weeks, and the snow was melting pretty well. Then it snowed on Wednesday, and a little more each day since. It's snowing hard right now outside my window.

#619008 - Mon Apr 25 2011 04:59 AM Re: Happy February from Alberta [Re: agony]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
wow. I look at snow and think it looks beautiful in the pics that some post in the photo a day thread but it must get old pretty quick!

#619315 - Tue Apr 26 2011 06:49 AM Re: Happy February from Alberta [Re: Copago]
agony Offline

Administrator

Well, it certainly gets old well before April! Almost all gone now, just some dirty piles in north facing corners.

My neighbour decided to shovel the snow away from the foundations of his house, so when it melts he won't get water in the basement. Fine, and a good idea - except for where he put that snow. Yup, just over the fence and next to MY foundation! I get a little flooding every year with or without his snow, so I'm not wildly angry, but still ....

Moderator:  bloomsby