Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#620147 - Fri Apr 29 2011 12:54 AM Trivia, to learn trivia?
SFA_52 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Australia
I look at the top players on this site, and I wonder how they got such a wide variety of knowledge. Maybe they love popular culture, and have amazing memories? It's difficult to imagine. Most people seem to soak up trivia naturally, but in eighteen years I can't say I've learned much.

As one whose interest primarily lies in the Brain Teasers and Video Games categories, I'm in the worst possible demographic with regards to performance in all the hourly and daily competitions and what have you on FunTrivia, but I don't want that! I want to get the most out of this place. I'm considering exploring the site's quizzes, one subcategory at a time, to learn things through trial and error, however much it'd mutilate my statistics.

Does anyone here have any advice for someone who wants to learn about whatever there is to learn about, without spending endless hours researching and memorising?

#620153 - Fri Apr 29 2011 02:07 AM Re: Trivia, to learn trivia?
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Memory and repetition is huge here. Some of the top players have been here quite a while and especially in the hourly and daily games the same questions start appearing often. The new question game has helped immensely in getting new content in the games as has the quiz writing challenges.

Personally, I've learned a lot just playing the daily and hourly games consistently, over a long period of time. I've been here over 3 years and still consider myself a below average player. But when I started I was terrible. I kept playing and reviewing the questions I missed, and eventually I found myself learning. As sad as it sounds, I notice it the most while watching "Jeopardy!" on TV. I like the show and have for a while but really didn't know many of the answers. I find myself knowing a lot more of the answers and the only thing that has changed is I started playing here at FunTrivia.

I think what it boils down to is a thirst for random knowledge and facts, with the desire to learn them and the patience to let your mind get used to the types of questions and repetition. I'm sure some of the better players will chime in with a lot better advice, but that's my two cents worth.

I should note that there are certain categories I'm still extremely terrible at, but I also don't have much of a desire to learn them (Religion and Video Games in particular). I can answer the basics one or two questions at a time, but generally avoid some hourly games when certain topics come up.

Welcome to the site though SFA 52!

Edited by pyonir (Fri Apr 29 2011 02:10 AM)

#620183 - Fri Apr 29 2011 08:32 AM Re: Trivia, to learn trivia?
SFA_52 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Australia
Thanks for the insight. I suppose repitition and exposure is the right idea.

No need to welcome me; despite this forum account being brand new, my FT account was made in 2005~

#620213 - Fri Apr 29 2011 02:33 PM Re: Trivia, to learn trivia?
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Hope others will chime in as well. I know some of the people that have been here longer than me can articulate better advice as well.

In that case, welcome to the forums side of the site! :p

#620292 - Fri Apr 29 2011 05:20 PM Re: Trivia, to learn trivia?
postcards2go Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York City USA
Originally Posted By: pyonir
Hope others will chime in as well. I know some of the people that have been here longer than me can articulate better advice as well.

Pyonir, I think you have articulated it very well smile

I would add that if someone is looking for a 'study guide', playing several private tournaments is a good way to go. The subject matter can be quite diverse, with all questions coming from the FT main site. They not only help with learning specific questions/answers, but they help with timing... learning to play just a bit faster. There are no FT points earned, but I find them to be good practice.

Most private tournaments are open to anyone, and welcome new players.

http://www.funtrivia.com/private/

#620316 - Fri Apr 29 2011 07:33 PM Re: Trivia, to learn trivia?
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Pyonir, postie is right, once I'd read your reply it was pretty well complete. I (and a few of the top players I know here as well) avoid certain categories as only a handful of even the best quiz players in the world (ie Kevin Ashman and the latest winner of Mastermind winner's series) can cover their worst categories well enough to fill most areas. If you can avoid them you'll still do well if you are good on your best ones and reasonable on the average, and if not then it probably means you're playing hard core and everyone's in the same boat there as none of us can memorise that many categories as we'd be playing as long as it takes to beat the monster quiz.

But apart from the new question and obscure type quizzes where everyone is playing by knowledge alone, you do get most others simply by constant repetition. I went back to the global after missing a couple and fell apart at div. 8 as they had finally got enough new questions at the required level to lose the memory advantage. That solely depends on enough people writing new quizzes which then get played enough to get the % right results to allot to the relevant division. Divide that by the categories and some get far more written in them than others, and will see how sci-tech for instance seems to keep similar questions, along with animals, presumably because they don't get as many as general or some others. But overall I'd simply say persistence is the key to rising on the tables here, as the speed increases as well as you learn to scan answers on familiar questions and questions quickly enough to work out what they want without having to read a few lines fully. You only pick that up with lots of practice.

#620322 - Fri Apr 29 2011 08:11 PM Re: Trivia, to learn trivia?
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Loc: California USA
Originally Posted By: satguru

But apart from the new question and obscure type quizzes where everyone is playing by knowledge alone, you do get most others simply by constant repetition

Outside of those games you mentioned, are you sure everyone plays by knowledge alone?

Edited by AntonLaVey (Fri Apr 29 2011 08:13 PM)

#620356 - Fri Apr 29 2011 11:15 PM Re: Trivia, to learn trivia?
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
Originally Posted By: AntonLaVey
Outside of those games you mentioned, are you sure everyone plays by knowledge alone?

I don't play with only knowledge. I also use guessage and flukage. That's how I won my Obscure Researcher badge. One of my answers was an educated guess and another was total flukage, That method can work for me in many other games too.. most of the time it doesn't but I have a one in four chance in most questions. wink

#620360 - Fri Apr 29 2011 11:36 PM Re: Trivia, to learn trivia?
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: Tizzabelle

I don't play with only knowledge. I also use guessage and flukage. That's how I won my Obscure Researcher badge. One of my answers was an educated guess and another was total flukage, That method can work for me in many other games too.. most of the time it doesn't but I have a one in four chance in most questions. wink

You're still playing with only your mind. Have you ever played TVT, for example, and came across a question you didn't know the answer to and looked it up?

#620365 - Sat Apr 30 2011 12:47 AM Re: Trivia, to learn trivia?
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Yes, people use Google as well. Do threads always need to devolve into a Google argument thread? It's gotten a bit old.

#620380 - Sat Apr 30 2011 03:48 AM Re: Trivia, to learn trivia?
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
SFA, are you interested in broadening your knowledge base, or in getting better at the games? There's some overlap, but the methods used would change depending on what you are after.

If you're mostly concerned with doing well at Funtrivia games, then, yeah, go for the repetition. Play all possible games, and it will get easier and faster.

However, if you are more interested in learning, my suggestion would be to play actual quizzes on just about any subject that sounds even remotely interesting. Read all the info, and if anything there ignites your interest, google it and read more. Having the answers in context,and actually learning something about the subject, will make it easier for you to remember details.

Speaking strictly for myself, the idea of playing the hourlies every hour until I've got the questions memorized and can breeze through them strikes me as about as appealing as hitting myself repeatedly with a hammer. Once I start recognizing the questions in a game, that's when I stop playing that game.

#620512 - Sat Apr 30 2011 10:43 AM Re: Trivia, to learn trivia?
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: pyonir
Yes, people use Google as well. Do threads always need to devolve into a Google argument thread? It's gotten a bit old.

The OP needs to know that some of the players who seem to be top players didn't earn that spot. If you or someone else wants to reply to this by saying Googling is a skill, don't bother. It's a lie.

#620536 - Sat Apr 30 2011 11:55 AM Re: Trivia, to learn trivia?
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
You're still playing with only your mind. Have you ever played TVT, for example, and came across a question you didn't know the answer to and looked it up?

Nah. I don't want to play every round like it's an exam or I'm doing an school assignment. What ever knowledge I gain from FT is by osmosis and repetition. My scores may not always be great but my times are pretty consistent. smile

#620545 - Sat Apr 30 2011 12:08 PM Re: Trivia, to learn trivia?
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
I learn from FT and everywhere else by repetition. I'm studying for exams right now (third year of a BSc) and for that I read and read and read. Then try to reproduce notes without looking. It's the only way I can learn. smile I too am one of those who see no gratification in using other sources. People say they don't want it to be like an exam, but at the same time, why are those who do use other sources desperate for good scores, if not for show? No idea. Anyway, I guess the key is to have fun, otherwise things aren't going to stick - in school and uni etc., it's mostly the subjects you enjoy most that you're good at!

#621386 - Mon May 02 2011 07:39 PM Re: Trivia, to learn trivia?
tim10001 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Concord
  California USA   
SFA 52, I would say just play quizzes here as much as you are comfortable with. Don't worry too much about comparing yourself to others, because no matter how proficiant you are able to get, there will always be someone who is better. The repetition thing is real, it does get easier to correctly answer questions after you have seen them once of twice before, but to me that gets kind of boring after awhile. Basically the contest becomes not what you know, but rather how quickly you can read it and answer. That's really the reason I stopped playing the global challenge after the first two or three tournaments, too much repetition, that and it is a immense commitment time wise.

Basically there is no magic formula for becoming a better player here. Just play as much as you want, but try not to go overboard. Live life. Stay curious. Maybe take a speed reading course. Eventually you will become a better player if you stay around long enough. I think the most important thing you can do here is to have fun. Once it becomes a chore, or you feel you are spending so much time here that may affect other areas of your life, just turn off the computer and go do something else.

Oh, one more thing. You may want to try writing some quizzes here if you haven't already. Sometimes you can learn a lot more about a particular subject by writing a quiz rather than by just playing one. And it's also a nice way to give back to the site and the community here.

#621844 - Wed May 04 2011 07:59 AM Re: Trivia, to learn trivia?
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Originally Posted By: satguru

But apart from the new question and obscure type quizzes where everyone is playing by knowledge alone, you do get most others simply by constant repetition

Of course not, but that is up to them as it's not breaking the rules. But it took me ages when I tried it as a test and as the time penalties have mainly been increased to stop the 15/15s in 264 seconds winning hopefully it won't allow many people top placings through it any more.

Technically it wouldn't be possible to stop people googling anyway, as you can hardly track every search engine used while playing, but unless someone's got a team of staff using other computers with them it has got to cause a delay per question, a few can be found in seconds but others at the opposite extreme only raise the original quiz question from here. When that happens it is pretty close to looking up the answers in the back of the maths book, it looks good when marked but you've learnt nothing in reality. Everyone knows they're there but not many do it after the first time when they realise this.

Edited by satguru (Wed May 04 2011 08:00 AM)

#636401 - Thu Jun 23 2011 09:55 PM Re: Trivia, to learn trivia?
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
I suspect that there are VERY few "googlers" who can answer questions more quickly than someone who already knows the answers. I would "think" that in most cases, one's score would seriously suffer from googling, so I honestly don't understand why it keeps being brought up time and time again. There are always one or two exceptions to any rule of course : )

While I admit to googling for the Obscure Researcher badge, I don't do it very often anywhere else, because quite frankly, it doesn't do me any good lol. I'm naturally a slow player in any case as a) I need to read the entire question (unlike cheech and chong I didn't take Evelyn Wood's Spedredding course LOL - yes, sadly, that's how old I am) and b) something happened to my eyes after I turned 50 and I can't move the screen far enough away from me to read it clearly any more, despite the fact that my arms are already pretty much dragging on the ground ~~~). If I play TVT or Heroes and manage 15/15 in less than 80 seconds, I've had a PHENOMENAL day (for me).

As for "learning trivia", I would imagine that it's like "learning" anything else (by rote) or teaching your muscles to do certain things: reps reps reps : )

That being said, I honestly don't feel I learn very much (that is important to ME, aside from a half decent score) from playing timed games. I HAVE learned lots of cool stuff (that I consider interesting/valuable) from playing untimed quizzes and often get carried away exploring related links/info that I would never have looked into if I hadn't played the actual quiz.

In any case, Pyonir is a sensible sort and summed things up rather well I thought.

Moderator:  TabbyTom