Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#629266 - Sat May 28 2011 02:03 AM Name of quiz subcategory
lorance79 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Canberra A.C.T.Australia
Hi all.

I played "campaigns and elections" when it came up in the "Who's the Expert' game. As with each time I can recall playing, all the questions were about US campaigns and elections. OK, fair enough, it's a US dominated board so no foul.

I like this topic, so I thought I could write a few quizzes for campaigns and elections in other countries. But when I went looking for the category, I found that it was a subcategory of "US Government". So it's not possible to have a question about non-US elections in this game.

My guess is that it would be too hard to move the category out of US Government, and make it open to all countries. But could it be renamed to "US Campaigns and Elections" so that we at least know what to expect if we play the game?

Thanks,
lorance79

#629276 - Sat May 28 2011 02:37 AM Re: Name of quiz subcategory
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Rockhampton QLDAustralia
Lorance79, I played thinking it was about campaigns and elections world wide. Got a massive 4/15 because every question in the game I played was on US government.

The name should be changed so we know what to expect.

#629293 - Sat May 28 2011 06:52 AM Re: Name of quiz subcategory
rossian Offline

Loc: Merseyside UK
You can still write your quizzes, lorance. Just choose the government category for the country/ies you want to write about. There won't be a subcategory until there are enough quizzes to put in it. If you do enough you may have your own subcategory created just for you.

#629297 - Sat May 28 2011 07:05 AM Re: Name of quiz subcategory
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Indeed, you may find that there are already a couple of quizzes on that subject in the category for the country you want to write about. Then, your quiz could be the one that tips the balance and gets a subcat opened.

#629314 - Sat May 28 2011 08:28 AM Re: Name of quiz subcategory
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
I remember having seen somewhere that the tipping point is quite low. Three quizzes might suffice to open a subcategory.

#629327 - Sat May 28 2011 08:46 AM Re: Name of quiz subcategory
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow ScotlandUK
I have a subcategory with one quiz, presumably because the editors perhaps expect others to contribute in the future (it is a category for Dionysus within Greek Myth; I was surprised no one else had written about him!). My sister writes quite specialized literature quizzes, and has been given a subcategory with only two quizzes.

#629330 - Sat May 28 2011 08:56 AM Re: Name of quiz subcategory
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted By: reeshy
I have a subcategory with one quiz, presumably because the editors perhaps expect others to contribute in the future (it is a category for Dionysus within Greek Myth; I was surprised no one else had written about him!). My sister writes quite specialized literature quizzes, and has been given a subcategory with only two quizzes.

It could also be there were previous quizzes on the topic but those quizzes were taken offline.

In Television, if there's three or more, we generally create a subcategory. However, we only go through what needs new subcategories when we are done editing quizzes, so it's not all that often (and please don't ask! We'll get to them eventually.) smile

Editor for Television Category

#629340 - Sat May 28 2011 09:10 AM Re: Name of quiz subcategory
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
In Movies I go through periodically, and if a movie has two or more quizzes, made by at least two authors, then the film will get its own subcategory.

As LadyMacb says, though, please don't ask smile

Edited by spanishliz (Sat May 28 2011 09:11 AM)

#631979 - Mon Jun 06 2011 08:42 AM Re: Name of quiz subcategory
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Sydney ozdownunder
bump

this looks like a double post by the OP

#632243 - Tue Jun 07 2011 12:02 AM Re: Name of quiz subcategory
lorance79 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Canberra A.C.T.Australia
Excuse my double-posting. Login and viewing troubles frown

I'll have a go at writing some election-based quizzes for other countries (and try to rope in a few others to do the same) so maybe we can tip the magic subcategory number.

Of course, the issue remains that any new subcategories would have to be named "UK campaigns and elections", "Australian campaigns and elections" etc whereas the US remains the 'generic' category that needs no further specification. Which is still misleading if you come across the subcategory other than by drilling down from the US Government category, as well as implying that the US is 'default' or 'normal'. So my point remains about the name rather than the content of the subcategory.

#632362 - Tue Jun 07 2011 01:29 PM Re: Name of quiz subcategory
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia�USA�...
I would also welcome renaming the existing sub-category to show that it is US, for clarity.

Moderator:  agony