Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#629329 - Sat May 28 2011 08:53 AM Geography Quiz Question
darthrevan89 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Texas USA
I would like to write a quiz on state symbols of Texas. But, in searching through the geography category, I can't find any other quizzes dedicated solely to the symbols of any one state, just a few questions sprinkled here and there in more general quizzes. And all of the quizzes in the "USA - Names & Symbols" category are on multiple states.

Would such a quiz as I have in mind be allowed? If so, would it belong in the Texas subcategory? And, while I'm asking, what's the policy on duplicating question topics in Geography? (For instance, if someone has already asked what the state flying mammal is, could I shift the question around and reuse that particular symbol in a question?)

Thanks for any help! smile

#629335 - Sat May 28 2011 09:00 AM Re: Geography Quiz Question
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
There's a Flags and Symbols subcategory in World: http://www.funtrivia.com/ql.cfm?cat=497

Are there other similar quizzes there?

Editor for Television Category

#629345 - Sat May 28 2011 09:37 AM Re: Geography Quiz Question
darthrevan89 Offline
Mainstay

Hmm, thanks for the suggestion Ladymacb, but I don't see anything there like what I'm going for. The kind of symbols I mean are state trees, state birds, state nuts, state flowers, etc. There are several quizzes like that in Geography, just none dedicated to a single state without some "general" state trivia mixed in.

#629461 - Sat May 28 2011 02:18 PM Re: Geography Quiz Question
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Maybe Mixed USA, under General? http://www.funtrivia.com/ql.cfm?cat=19335

There are quizzes on individual states in there, maybe you could check them out and see what kind of questions they ask.

#629521 - Sat May 28 2011 07:26 PM Re: Geography Quiz Question
darthrevan89 Offline
Mainstay

Thanks for the link Guitargoddess, I don't see anything there either though. Honestly, I was really looking to branch out into a new category, if it doesn't fit in Geography I'm not really motivated strongly enough to follow through with the idea (hopefully that doesn't sound terrible lol?). If I get bored enough I may still write the quiz and let it go where it may, I just didn't want to risk its being rejected completely! wink

#629530 - Sat May 28 2011 08:03 PM Re: Geography Quiz Question
looney_tunes Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia
That kind of topic can be included in a Geography quiz, but I think it squeezes in under the 'not more than a few of these' allowance. They are really about culture rather than Geography unless you word the question so that it is a geography-based question rather than one about the culture of the place. My quiz on the national symbols of Bangladesh was written for World (Asian Cultures). That said, a Geography editor could advise, given specific questions, as to their suitability. They would also be better placed than any other category's editors to advise on the best subcategory (which can always be changed if they think the final quiz fits better in a different place). It looks to me as if either Texas or USA - Names & Symbols would work. Sometimes there are several subcategories that would be possible, and the 'best' one depends on the exact orientation of your questions. The aim is to place it where future players might be likely to look for it.

Duplication of questions is never allowed. However, duplication of subject matter is another thing. You could probably write an entire quiz on whatever animal is the state flying mammal, so asking a different question about it than what has already been asked shouldn't be a problem.

#629668 - Sun May 29 2011 08:13 AM Re: Geography Quiz Question
darthrevan89 Offline
Mainstay

Okay, thanks Looneytunes! That answers my questions. I'll keep the advice in mind and decide how to proceed.

#629916 - Sun May 29 2011 05:57 PM Re: Geography Quiz Question
Pagiedamon Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
Darthrevan89, I don't see why the quiz wouldn't work. You can submit it to USA - Names & Symbols. Take a look at a few of the posted quizzes if you want. smile (I edit in Geography).

#629946 - Sun May 29 2011 07:50 PM Re: Geography Quiz Question
darthrevan89 Offline
Mainstay

Thanks Pagiedamon! That's what I shall do, then. Unless I chicken out (again) lol. Anyways, I appreciate all the help!

Moderator:  agony