Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#638865 - Mon Jul 04 2011 09:18 PM Interview with Guitargoddess
Pagiedamon Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
LeoDaVinci
You live in Canada's capital, lesser-known than many Canadian cities. What makes Ottawa amazing?

This is kind of a tough question. I love the city and don't want to live anywhere else, but it's hard to 'sell it' as an amazing place since, unless you're really into politics, there's not that much going on here, nor much to see unless you like boring old buildings. What I like about Ottawa is that it's *big enough* but it's not a big bustling city like Toronto or Montreal. We don't really hurt for anything like shopping, services, plenty of opportunity for fun, etc. and there's an extremely diverse culture here like the bigger cities (one of my favourite things), but it's quieter and more friendly, I think. I like that balance between big city and quieter town, especially out here in the suburbs where I live.

Pagiedamon
Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? Married, single, or in a relationship? Pets?

I'm just me, no kids, no husband, no boyfriend, no girlfriend, no nothing. Currently still living in my parents' house, but hoping to change that in the fall. I decided to stick around here through the summer since my parents are gone for all of July, might as well live here for free! No pets either, my mom will not have any animals in the house, but may change that as well once I move out.

bloomsby
What do you do in real life?

I currently work as a help desk officer with the team that manages the electronic human resources data system at Citizenship and Immigration Canada. It's OK but honestly, I don't really care about it. Not my thing. Took the first job that was offered to me after being unemployed for six months. If I do stick with government work in the long term though, I'm at least glad that CIC is the department that I got into. I don't care about HR, but the department's mandate and a lot of other areas of the department sound interesting, so hopefully someday I can do something more directly related to immigration or citizenship work, or even the foreign service (at missions [embassies] all over the world, attracting and processing immigration stuff). You need top secret security clearance to work in the foreign service though and I don't currently meet the requirements for that!

LeoDaVinci
Where was the most interesting place you've travelled to? Where are the top places on your travel wish-list?

I really haven't travelled extensively. The furthest I've been was to the Dominican Republic for a high school grad trip in 2005. Since I pretty much just spent the week sitting at a bar, I'm not sure I'd say it was 'interesting', but it was a good time! Some other trips that come to mind are trips to Disney World and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Not anything out of the ordinary, but good times! In the future I'd like to see Europe, but the sites that are more of interest to me, rather than the typical tourist stuff like the Eiffel Tower and Coliseum. I'd love to the see things like the Vimy memorial and concentration camps; my friend just came back from a Euro-trip and from looking through her pictures, the most interesting ones to me were from her tour of Dachau. I'd also like to see more of Canada. I've only been out East once or twice and never been West.

LadyCaitriona
Your FT profile mentions that you're an avid reader and a writer. What are some of your favourite books? What do you write?

I must confess that I don't read nearly as much as I used to... I used to read one or two books a week but right now I really don't remember what the last book I finished was. I think it was towards the end of my schooling career when I had so many books I had to read, I never wanted to look at a book in my free time, and I got into a pattern of relying more on TV and internet for keeping myself occupied. That said, I like murder mystery thriller type books (like James Patterson or John Sanford) as well light-hearted girly books (like the "Shopaholic" books). I also want to someday get through a lot of my school books that I didn't quite make time for when I was supposed to. A lot of them sound interesting but I just wasn't able to really read them in depth when I had so many things to read at once.

For writing, I just like writing. I sometimes just write what I'm thinking, I used to write more short stories and poems, that kind of thing. Quizzes, of course! I have ideas for stories or even whole novels in my head, but to date I haven't been able to organize my ideas into writing. I start and then lose interest quickly, or I just can't express myself on paper as well as in my own imagination. Chronic writer's block! Someday I'll write a book, hopefully. And I like to do something involving writing for a living, I think, I've always enjoyed writing. I even liked writing research papers for school (good thing, since I was a history major), I just didn't like having four or five all due the same week.

bloomsby
Could you tell us about your screen name?

Not much to tell, really. When I registered on FunTrivia in the summer of 2003, I was just starting out with trying the guitar (after having played piano and clarinet for a few years) and I was enthusiastic about it!

LeoDaVinci
How long have you been playing guitar? What kind of music do you prefer playing?

As above, I started around 2003 but I honestly don't play much anymore. It never really 'took'; I didn't ever really get good. That summer (2003) I started taking guitar lessons from a guy I was kind of involved with, so you can imagine that they weren't the most productive and informative 'lessons'. I think being able to play by ear is really important for guitar, and I just don't have the ear for that. Piano I was good at, but always needed the sheet music. I do still pick up my guitars and play a little something every now and then, and sometimes try to follow from books and tutorials. I'd like to get back into it, take a group lesson just for fun maybe. I like playing contemporary stuff, acoustic mostly, from rock-ish genres. I liked playing more mainstream stuff when I was really into piano too, was never much for the classical stuff, I bought sheet music of popular songs and played that, even for recitals. I can play pretty much the entire Backstreet Boys' album "Millennium" on piano smile

Pagiedamon
I know you enjoy watching TV. What are your five favorite shows of all time?

Ooh very tough! It sounds kind of lame, but I am a big TV watcher. I like lots of different shows, narrowing down a top five is really hard. I think I would say: "The Simpsons" (more classic than current, of course), "Friends", "Trailer Park Boys", "Criminal Minds", and... "Grey's Anatomy", maybe. I feel like it's not as great in recent years, but first couple of seasons I really enjoyed.

bloomsby
How did you discover Funtrivia and what were your first impressions of the site?

I'm pretty sure I first found it by googling for Backstreet Boys trivia (I was a ridiculously huge BSB fan back in the day...) many years ago, and kept coming back to play all the other trivia as well, and finally created a profile. I don't remember my first impressions, but I must have liked it! I do remember thinking it was cool to be able to post my own quizzes and liked that the quizzes here, even back then, weren't as dumb as the ones on many other sites (like, "WhAt SpIcE gIrL aRe YoU?!?!? lololol").

bloomsby
You have written an impressive array of quizzes (about 196, I think, with 30 or so ranked in the top one thousand). What kinds of quizzes do you most enjoy writing?

I really enjoy writing the more difficult-to-write quizzes, as I am very pleased when I finally finish one and it's turned out well (presuming I've kept an interest in the material as I went along. Sometimes I lose interest a bit around question 6 and then it's tough to finish off... but in that case, I still enjoy seeing if it's well received, after I thought 'well that wasn't my best'). I also like when I finally write a quiz that I originally had the idea for quite awhile before it finally came to fruition. And sometimes I really like writing the simpler ones, like mixed lyrics quiz. They're nothing special and I don't expect them to get high ratings, but they're enjoyable to write, and as a player I like those kinds of quiz even though there's 100 others just like it.

LadyCaitriona
Looking through the list of quizzes that you've authored, I noticed that you have a lot of pop culture quizzes, but there are also a few quizzes on aspects of Canada's criminal justice system. What inspired those?

Most of my non-entertainment related quizzes (I do have at least one in every category!) were inspired by various classes I took and subjects studied. For example, I wrote a quiz about the Steven Truscott case, which I studied for a grade 11 law class. I hadn't even heard about it before that class and thought it was an interesting case. My Criminal Anthropology quiz (steadily been one of my highest rated quizzes) was written while I was taking a third year class in Social Deviance.

LeoDaVinci
What do you find most challenging as an editor? What do you find most rewarding?

For most challenging, I guess sometimes it's being patient with brand new quiz writers, which we seem to get a lot of in TV (I'd guess that categories like Movies and Music also get a lot of first timers) or just being in disbelief at things that get submitted -- sometimes it's like, "really, why would you think this is ready to go online?!" But I am very patient in nature, especially in situations like this (I didn't last five years in customer service by being impatient... and serving internal clients at my current job is just as bad [public servants are not the smartest bunch sometimes!]) so it's not *too* challenging. It's also sometimes a bit challenging to restrain myself from trying to basically re-write the quizzes because I think it'd be better. On the other hand, it's really rewarding to get messages of thanks and appreciation from the authors once their quizzes finally get online, especially if it was from someone who was really struggling and I was starting to get frustrated with. I think a lot of the editors would agree with that!

bloomsby
Unless my memory is playing tricks on me – which is always possible, at one time you used to get taken to task for asking – how shall I shall put it? – rather risqué questions. How does it feel to be on the other side of the fence?

Haha your memory is not playing tricks on you! It's not that I try to be risqué or shocking on purpose (despite what some people might think, I think), I just sometimes need to be reined in. Pretty much nothing at all shocks or offends me, so some instances were things that I truly felt were perfectly acceptable or that I thought I'd brought down enough to appropriate level, but of course some things that don't bother me at all bother other people a great deal and sometimes needed to be taken to task for not remembering that. I also often use the "if I studied it in school, it's OK" kind of rule to determine if something is appropriate, but that's certainly not always the case for a family site, depending on when in school I studied it.

On the other side of the fence, it hasn't been too challenging for me. Most quizzes in TV are fairly straight forward with nothing *too* risqué for the most part, but I do sometimes have a tendency to really question myself about what to accept or not, since I know my own track record isn't great. So I may ask sometimes a great deal of "What do you think about accepting this...?" questions to fellow editors.

LeoDaVinci
When you're not editing on FunTrivia, what would you rather be doing?

I really don't do much else in my spare time. I guess I would rather have more of a social life and interesting things to do sometimes! As much as I love the internet for a lot of reasons, I am entirely too dependent on it for entertainment. More specifically than that, I'm not sure!

bloomsby
What are your interests and hobbies?

I don't have many. Baking would probably be my biggest hobby and I've dabbled in cake decorating as well by taking a couple of classes, but I'm not great at it. Other than that, I'm interested in the usual, like music and movies and stuff. I also have 'phases' of interests sometimes and like reading up on those for awhile... things like certain historical periods, and I was in to psychedelia for awhile... as mentioned above, I am interested in writing as well, but seem to have perpetual writer's block.

Pagiedamon
Who has been the biggest influence in your life--and why?

I'm not really sure... my parents, I suppose, but not necessarily in a good way. I went to university straight out of high school because they said I had to, without having any idea of what I want to do with my life, and really didn't enjoy it overall. Out of university, I got a public service job because they wanted me to... when they were my age it was the greatest thing they could hope for with the pay and benefits and all that, and they think I'm crazy that I'd rather do something I care about than sit at a desk bored out of my mind for the next 30 years, just for the dental benefits. I don't think I have a better answer than that.

bloomsby
If you were unexpectedly to win or inherit a fortune, say ten million Canadian dollars, how do think that would affect your life?

It would affect my life greatly. The money itself wouldn't cause happiness, I know that, but with financial security, I'd enjoy my life more and ultimately be happier, I think. I could quit my job that I don't care about and be secure while figuring out what I do care about. And I could do something that I find more fun and enjoyable if not worried about making enough money.

Thanks to all who participated.

#639176 - Wed Jul 06 2011 02:27 PM Re: Interview with Guitargoddess [Re: Pagiedamon]
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
Many thanks for answering all those questions. smile I hope you didn't find us intrusive.

"I must confess that I don't read nearly as much as I used to..." Yes, I can certainly empathize with that. I've heard the view that reading other than that essential for work tends to fall off perceptibly at some stage after graduation from college/uni.

I do hope you manage to visit Europe and view some of the more 'off-the-beaten track' places of interest to you, but there is so much to see ...

#639193 - Wed Jul 06 2011 03:28 PM Re: Interview with Guitargoddess [Re: bloomsby]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Not intrusive at all smile I like talking about myself tongue

Oh I know there's so much to see in Europe.. too much, almost! Most people I know who go spend a couple days in one place and move on to the next city. I think I'd prefer to take a few trips and concentrate on place/country each time.

#639206 - Wed Jul 06 2011 04:31 PM Re: Interview with Guitargoddess [Re: guitargoddess]
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
Agreed about tourism. I tend to take things at a leisurely pace and spend several days in one place if I think there is plenty to see. In 2000, when visiting Bulgaria, I spent 4-5 days in Plovdiv, for example. Then, in 2002 and 2003 I spent a long time in Sibiu and Sighisoara (Romania) - both highly recommended for visits if you want to go that far east.

#639315 - Thu Jul 07 2011 06:33 AM Re: Interview with Guitargoddess [Re: bloomsby]
BxBarracuda Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bronx
New York USA     
Nice interview.

Have you, or would you ever, list Fun Trivia Editor on a job resume and why or why not?

#639368 - Thu Jul 07 2011 02:43 PM Re: Interview with Guitargoddess [Re: BxBarracuda]
guitargoddess Offline

I haven't ever yet, but maybe - depends what the job is for! Probably not in the near future as most of what I've been applying for is other government positions and they want very specific information presented on resume and cover letter, so I don't think listing FT editing experience would really fit in most cases. But if I ever apply for something else, I might. I had thought about putting it on my application to Bachelor of Education programs, but I didn't end up applying.

#639424 - Thu Jul 07 2011 05:30 PM Re: Interview with Guitargoddess [Re: guitargoddess]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
Have you, or would you ever, list Fun Trivia Editor on a job resume and why or why not?

I've done it! laugh

#639647 - Fri Jul 08 2011 08:57 PM Re: Interview with Guitargoddess [Re: kyleisalive]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Quote:

I've done it! laugh

Me too! It's not on there anymore (lack of space) but it's something I still mention when asked about my hobbies and interests.

I liked what you said about going back and making more time for books you were assigned in school that (for good reasons, I'm sure!) you weren't able to spend as much time on as you (or your teachers?) would have liked. I confess that I never finished reading Brave New World in 11th grade. Later I got around to wondering how it ended... I bought it, read it, and I'm still confused about the ending I guess. Maybe I should have paid more attention in the class. grin

And I remember working with you on your "Love, Guidedly" quiz. Excellent quiz--I highly recommend it--but I recall that it was originally submitted with a more shocking title, and there was an amusing bit about an elephant that made me laugh hysterically but which unfortunately wasn't entirely appropriate for the site. wink

Editor for Humanities and Movies

#639678 - Sat Jul 09 2011 06:29 AM Re: Interview with Guitargoddess [Re: LadyCaitriona]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
Originally Posted By: LadyCaitriona
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Quote:

I've done it! laugh

Me too!

Me three! I was applying for an editorial job (which I got) and it seemed appropriate to include.

Very interesting interview. Thank you.

#639698 - Sat Jul 09 2011 09:21 AM Re: Interview with Guitargoddess [Re: LadyCaitriona]
guitargoddess Offline

Originally Posted By: LadyCaitriona

And I remember working with you on your "Love, Guidedly" quiz. Excellent quiz--I highly recommend it--but I recall that it was originally submitted with a more shocking title, and there was an amusing bit about an elephant that made me laugh hysterically but which unfortunately wasn't entirely appropriate for the site. wink

Yeah that's probably the biggest example of a too risqué quiz! I think, to me anyway, what I originally submitted wasn't all that bad if you looked at each question individually, but as a theme, a lot more iffy. And I mean, come on, I could have made it a lot worse! That's an example of like I said in the answer to that question in the interview, having thought I'd already toned it way down. If that "Love" challenge thread is still kicking around in the Author's Lounge you'll see that I expressed doubts about the appropriateness before I even started writing! (Kyle encouraged me, blame him.) The original title was just borderline I think... what I wanted to change it to before 'guidedly' was a bit more shocking (but funny!)

I remember Brave New World being confusing as well, or maybe just odd. Ever read Perfume: The Story of a Murderer? It was assigned to me for a third year "Senses and Social Situations" class (for which the final essay assignment was "Analyze the book. 20-25 pages. Go.") The whole thing was strange, I read it with a lingering 'wtf' thought, but then the ending took the confusing weirdness to a whole new level!

#639748 - Sat Jul 09 2011 11:43 AM Re: Interview with Guitargoddess [Re: guitargoddess]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:
I remember Brave New World being confusing as well, or maybe just odd. Ever read Perfume: The Story of a Murderer?

Loved 'BNW', wrote a paper on it about three years ago. Clever book (better than '1984'). Never read 'Perfume', but I have the movie. You're right. It's weird.

Quote:
for which the final essay assignment was "Analyze the book. 20-25 pages. Go."

There is nothing worse than an essay with that at the top (excluding one that simply says 'Discuss:'. wink

Quote:
Kyle encouraged me, blame him.

Seems normal. smile

#639754 - Sat Jul 09 2011 12:05 PM Re: Interview with Guitargoddess [Re: kyleisalive]
guitargoddess Offline

Ha I had the same prof for a similarly-themed second year class (about social interactions and such) the year before and the final assignment in that class was "Choose a song lyric and analyze it. 20-25 pages." Before that year, I never would have thought I'd be writing an academic paper about Dashboard Confessional! Same prof said for the final exam in that class "It'll probably really help if you're drunk or stoned". On the final exam for the third year class, one question was two or three lines quoted from "Don't Stop Believin'" with "Analyze" tacked onto the end. Nice prof though, handed out As left and right because he thought it would annoy the faculty dean.

He said that the movie version of "Perfume" was a lot more terrible than the book. I haven't seen the movie (meant to when it was on the movie network) but I'm unsure how a book that's all about smells translates well to a movie... did the movie have a, um.., rather uninhibited, wild ending, as the book did?

#639822 - Sat Jul 09 2011 08:08 PM Re: Interview with Guitargoddess [Re: guitargoddess]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

I wrote a paper about BNL's 'Brian Wilson' two years ago. smile

Quote:
did the movie have a, um.., rather uninhibited, wild ending, as the book did?

To put it simply, yes.

#644912 - Thu Aug 04 2011 07:50 AM Re: Interview with Guitargoddess [Re: kyleisalive]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Quote:
I've heard the view that reading other than that essential for work tends to fall off perceptibly at some stage after graduation from college/uni.

This is all too sadly true, but I'm finding that I've reached a point in my life where the amount of reading I do has increased again.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

Moderator:  Pagiedamon, romeomikegolf, sue943