Rules
Terms of Use

Page 81 of 122 < 1 2 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 121 122 >
Topic Options
#1046493 - Tue May 20 2014 05:02 AM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
Gil_Galad Offline
Explorer

Loc: Greece
I think it would be cool if there was a "Twenty categories" challenge, for those who have quizzes in the top half in all categories. The specific series already gives 3 full badges, so it could simply be a mini.

#1046499 - Tue May 20 2014 07:40 AM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Actually, Terry says (with right) that we shouldn't have that one. It could lead to quite a few not so great quizzes being written in the hopes of squeezing one into the top half in a category the player just isn't that proficient.

If this were to happen at all, we'd have to set the bar significantly higher (e.g. Pangalactic) to ensure that only players who can produce quality quizzes in all categories would want to attempt it.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Tue May 20 2014 08:29 AM)

#1046503 - Tue May 20 2014 08:32 AM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
Gil_Galad Offline
Explorer

Aye, that's true. But the same is true for "Fifteen categories", although that one leaves a little room.

#1046505 - Tue May 20 2014 08:55 AM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
The fifteen doesn't force the player into their absolutely weakest categories, which makes a huge difference.

#1046506 - Tue May 20 2014 09:07 AM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: WesleyCrusher]
stedman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London England UK         
I agree with Wes (and Terry) about this.

I don't see why there has to be a badge for everything, anyway. I set myself the challenge of writing a quiz in every category, and I'm quite happy with the personal satisfaction it gives me, without needing a badge as well.

#1046508 - Tue May 20 2014 09:28 AM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
Gil_Galad Offline
Explorer

Of course there doesn't have to be a badge for everything. But there have been expansions to other badge series in the last year, so I suggested this one. Since it's not going to be done, there's no point in dwelling on it.

#1046722 - Wed May 21 2014 03:21 PM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Yup-- 20 Categories shows up in a lot of pages of this recommendation thread, just to round out the set. I'm of the side that isn't gung-ho for it. Some people can't be bothered to know anything about Video Games or Religion or Sports or Celebrities or what-have-you, and forcing them to research a topic they abhor or have little-to-know interest in whatsoever will often come through in the submission. wink

Besides, Pan-Galactic's got us covered. smile

Not to mention plans for authoring rewards. I still recommend playing through AinA. There are lots of adventures to be had. wink

Edited by kyleisalive (Wed May 21 2014 03:22 PM)

#1046952 - Fri May 23 2014 12:44 AM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
I'm not quite sure I understand the objections to this.

If the quizzes aren't up to standard then they wont get past the editing stage and put online would they?

Not sure if I could write in a couple of them but its a big achievement for those who can and worthy of some reward I would think.

#1046955 - Fri May 23 2014 01:28 AM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
looney_tunes Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
As Kyle mentioned, there is already a challenge in the Authors Lounge to write a quiz in each category that gets sunglasses or is an editor's choice - the Pangalactics Challenge. It goes even further, and required that the quiz be written for an Authors Lounge challenge or used a Player Author Challenge title. The reward is seeing your name on the list, and the satisfaction of knowing that it was done. Compared to that, a badge for 20 categories doesn't seem as impressive as it does in vacuo. (Not that I would refuse a badge if offered one, of course. It's just that the challenge is there even without any badge.)

#1047792 - Sun Jun 01 2014 07:30 AM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
nautilator Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I count 37 titles under Black and White -- has one of the quizzes been taken down?

#1047919 - Tue Jun 03 2014 04:38 AM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: looney_tunes]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
Originally Posted By: looney_tunes
As Kyle mentioned, there is already a challenge in the Authors Lounge to write a quiz in each category that gets sunglasses or is an editor's choice - the Pangalactics Challenge. It goes even further, and required that the quiz be written for an Authors Lounge challenge or used a Player Author Challenge title. The reward is seeing your name on the list, and the satisfaction of knowing that it was done. Compared to that, a badge for 20 categories doesn't seem as impressive as it does in vacuo. (Not that I would refuse a badge if offered one, of course. It's just that the challenge is there even without any badge.)

The trouble with this is that not everyone frequents the Authors lounge and a lot of people dislike writing topics that are given to them - they prefer to chose their own quiz topics smilee

#1047930 - Tue Jun 03 2014 01:42 PM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Midget40]
looney_tunes Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Originally Posted By: Midget40
Originally Posted By: looney_tunes

The trouble with this is that not everyone frequents the Authors lounge and a lot of people dislike writing topics that are given to them - they prefer to chose their own quiz topics smilee

Any author seriously interested in writing for all 20 categories should certainly visit the Lounge to see a whole range of interesting activities that might inspire them. Quite a few allow you to choose your own topics - selecting any Player Author Challenge title (of which there are quite a few, with constant additions!) would make your quiz qualify for the PanGalactic Challenge. And there are a number of challenges within the Lounge that offer players a selection of titles, any one of which can be used as a springboard for a quiz. The latest one, starting a few days ago, will offer a new challenge theme twice a week. The current one is to write a quiz with the word "Head" or "Tail" in the title. Or, if you prefer to be given a set area,Kyle is looking for some new quizzes about China. Then there are 195 countries on the Bus Ride which are all interested in new quizzes on their geography, history, native flora and/or fauna, sports, holiday traditions, tourist attractions, foods, or whatever takes your fancy (shameless plug for my particular pet project). smile

#1048594 - Wed Jun 11 2014 01:05 PM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Ok, new category "Topic Mash" games are now available for gold members for testing.

To get to them go to most category pages. If there are enough quizzes in ANY category (down deep even in the topic structure), a "Topic Mash" game will be available at the top of the page.

GMs can score unlimited Topic Mash games each day, but each has to be in a different topic.

#1048596 - Wed Jun 11 2014 01:38 PM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Just tried one. I like it. smile

#1048597 - Wed Jun 11 2014 01:40 PM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Ill eventually add links at the end of playing to the quizzes the questions came from, and a list of suggested "other topic mashes" that may be of interest

#1048598 - Wed Jun 11 2014 01:48 PM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
Lottie1001 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Westmorland UK
Thanks for a great idea, Terry.

Are the quizzes only going to be available in the 'game' format, or will we be able to play them as HTML quizzes, too?

#1048600 - Wed Jun 11 2014 02:05 PM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
AlonsoKing Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Brugge, Belgium
Just played two mash games. Worked perfectly. Seems like a lot of fun.

Originally Posted By: Terry

GMs can score unlimited Topic Mash games each day, but each has to be in a different topic.

But you can play a topic and then a subcategory of that topic you've just played.

#1048602 - Wed Jun 11 2014 02:21 PM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

"But you can play a topic and then a subcategory of that topic you've just played."

Yes these are different topics.

"Are the quizzes only going to be available in the 'game' format, or will we be able to play them as HTML quizzes, too?"

It's tied to the interactive interface, so no HTML quizzes. The untimed version will be coming though, for those who don't like timers.

#1048630 - Wed Jun 11 2014 08:55 PM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
MikeMaster99 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
I've just tried 'mashing' too. I really like it! I presume the questions are drawn randomly from all quizzes within that (sub)category, hence the level of difficulty of the 'mash' set will approximate the overall level of difficulty of all the quizzes? So mostly 'easy' quizzes in that (sub)category will result in a mostly easy 'mash set?

#1048631 - Wed Jun 11 2014 10:47 PM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
MikeMaster99 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
And of course, a very large version (say, 25Q) has to be called.... 'The Monster Mash' :-)

#1048632 - Wed Jun 11 2014 11:25 PM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: Terry
Ok, new category "Topic Mash" games are now available for gold members for testing.

To get to them go to most category pages. If there are enough quizzes in ANY category (down deep even in the topic structure), a "Topic Mash" game will be available at the top of the page.

Fantastic idea. Love it!

#1048638 - Thu Jun 12 2014 12:28 AM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
Nammage Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
Topic Mash is fun.

-Nam

Edited by Nammage (Thu Jun 12 2014 12:30 AM)

#1048642 - Thu Jun 12 2014 01:02 AM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA

I had fun with the quizzes I tried too. I tested in Animals first and the first question was about cats.
laugh

#1048653 - Thu Jun 12 2014 04:05 AM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
Hi Terry,

Sorry but I think I am noticing a glitch in the mash quizzes: do you remember when the new format was introduced there was a glitch that sometimes made the multiple choices appear before there was time to read the question? I think the same glitch is happening. The time between the question appearing and the four answers appearing seems to vary and seems sometimes to be almost immediate.

Just a heads up!:)

These mash ups are very addictive!

#1048655 - Thu Jun 12 2014 04:58 AM Re: New round of badge additions! [Re: Terry]
James25 Offline
Explorer

Loc: The Netherlands
I like the new mashups. It is sort of building your own Expert game. It worked fine for me.

Page 81 of 122 < 1 2 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 121 122 >

Moderator:  Terry