Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#650105 - Sat Aug 27 2011 03:41 PM LED Monitor Screen Shwoing Up White ...
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
In the last two days or so my monitor screen has suddenly taken to showing up as white (or flashing white and black) when I start up my computer from cold after switching on at the wall ... So far, I've managed to get it working by switching it off and re-starting.

Is the monitor due for replacement? It is a little over four years old. I'd be very grateful for advice.

#650120 - Sat Aug 27 2011 06:00 PM Re: LED Monitor Screen Shwoing Up White ... [Re: bloomsby]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
LED or LCD? The difference would be important I would think.

Is it getting worse each time? or has it been the same each time?

Double check all cables for cuts or breaks and unplug and plug back in all cables as well, making sure they are secure.

If it seems to be getting worse and all the cables are fine, my guess would be the monitor is failing. Might be able to get more specific if you post make and model of your screen as well.

Do you have another monitor to plug into your computer to make sure it's the monitor and not the video card/graphics card? That would help too.

#650138 - Sat Aug 27 2011 07:05 PM Re: LED Monitor Screen Shwoing Up White ... [Re: pyonir]
bloomsby Offline

Many thanks. smile

1. LCD (not LED) - sorry.
2. Model: Suyama MJ7CNA (17")
3. The problem seems to be about the same each time, but only started very recently (2-3 days ago).
4. All cables secure. (The problem only occurs after switching on at the wall).
5. I don't have another computer to test the monitor.

#650148 - Sat Aug 27 2011 08:01 PM Re: LED Monitor Screen Shwoing Up White ... [Re: bloomsby]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Try plugging it into a different power supply/wall outlet/mains. Also if it has its own AC to DC power supply, see if a friend has one of the same output values. The manner of failure does indicate like an intermittent power source. (Since it's LCD, I'm guessing LapTop and then for sure the external AC to DC power supply is notorious for failing) A valid reason for the problem going away after a short time is that during the time the supply is on in its on/off life, it is getting a charge onto the internal laptop battery which then provides an uninterupted supply and from then on you'd miss seeing the cycling of the power supply itself.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Aug 27 2011 08:23 PM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#650163 - Sat Aug 27 2011 09:57 PM Re: LED Monitor Screen Shwoing Up White ... [Re: mehaul]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
My assumption would be a failing power board, probably caused by bad capacitors. I had a TV that would do that, then when you switched it off and back on, it would work. it started to get to the point where we'd have to turn it off and on numerous times to get it to finally work...then it didn't work at all. Do you have the monitor plugged into a surge protector of some type? If not, then I would almost guarantee a failing power board and possibly blown capacitors.

You could also try and bring the monitor to a friends house and testing it on their computer to see if the result is the same. Or if you are handy with electronics you could pop the case open and see if any capacitors are bulged out or burn marks on any boards. Repairs probably wouldn't be worth it given the price of new monitors now days. Most monitors have a 2 or 3 year warranty, so at 4 years you wouldn't be violating any warranties.

I couldn't find much info on that particular monitor and the issue you are seeing. Most of the problems with the monitor are a burned out back light...which would show up by the screen going black but seeming to operate fine (no blinking power lights or anything). Some say that if you shine a flashlight onto the screen when it's black and running, you can see the image that way, and you'd know it was a back light. That's about all I could find though...as it seems Suyama isn't even in business anymore (now referred to as another name).

#650188 - Sun Aug 28 2011 02:11 AM Re: LED Monitor Screen Shwoing Up White ... [Re: pyonir]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Forget the battery if not a laptop monitor. I found a posting that backs pyonir's capacitor posting. It is from Kioskea.net about a monitor that goes blank shortly after turn on, especially in the second paragraph:
Answer
+112
Report Plato1123 Apr 14, 2010 5:48am BST
If your LCD display is turning itself off due to aging capacitors, an easy work around is to turn the brightness down! Brightness goes down, display draws less juice, and you can at least use it. As it warms up you should be able to gradually turn the brightness back up, although probably not all the way.

Sometimes this problem manifests itself as a display that turns itself off after a few seconds or will turn itself off and back on over and over again.

Source link:
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-18984-monitor-going-black-after-2-seconds

#650198 - Sun Aug 28 2011 06:52 AM Re: LED Monitor Screen Shwoing Up White ... [Re: mehaul]
bloomsby Offline

Many thanks to you both. I'll try the things you suggest.

#650251 - Sun Aug 28 2011 03:36 PM Re: LED Monitor Screen Shwoing Up White ... [Re: bloomsby]
bloomsby Offline

The problem seems to be that the capacitors are not retaining the charge. If I leave the monitor plugged in at the wall when it is off there is no problem.

Again, many thanks.

Edited by bloomsby (Sun Aug 28 2011 03:37 PM)

#650256 - Sun Aug 28 2011 04:20 PM Re: LED Monitor Screen Shwoing Up White ... [Re: bloomsby]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

One thing that stays up and running in the modern TV is the remote control circuit. Have you had any trouble with that circuit or device? After four years, it may need fresh batteries in the remote.

#650417 - Mon Aug 29 2011 03:03 PM Re: LED Monitor Screen Shwoing Up White ... [Re: mehaul]
bloomsby Offline

Thank you. I change the batteries on my TV remote control device about every two years.

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29