Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#654248 - Fri Sep 16 2011 09:25 AM I could use some help
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
I am having a problem where when I click a link a pop-up message appears saying "Internet Explorer can't open this site" then lists the web address and the next line after that says "Operation aborted".
It happens several times on a few sites, including twice when I tried to click "Play Timed" on the Mind Melt section here at FunTrivia.
I try clicking Back and then re-clicking a link, but often the same message appears. Same if I try re-typing the web address.
It's apparently a problem with my computer, but I don't know what it is. Can anyone help me?

#654345 - Fri Sep 16 2011 03:24 PM Re: I could use some help [Re: Buddy1]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Do you have Skype installed on your system? Do you use Internet Explorer 7?

If not IE7, what version?

I did find this:

Quote:
Problem: Operation Aborted error in Internet Explorer

Solution: In IE, Click Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced Tab and then uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions"... after you uncheck that option, restart your browser and try to cause the error. If the error goes away, it was an add-on. Now, once you know it is an add-on you can reanble add-ons and then disable them one by one in Tools -> Manage Addons to find the offending culprit. Specifically in my case it was a Skype plugin was causing this problem (probably the one that parses for phone numbers... I suspect that it started to parse before the page was loaded and hit a unhandled null exception on the DOM, just my theory though Stick out tongue).

source: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/...1-c805660921f8/

#654454 - Sat Sep 17 2011 09:22 AM Re: I could use some help [Re: pyonir]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

I don't have Skype. I have Internet Explorer 8.

#654545 - Sat Sep 17 2011 03:19 PM Re: I could use some help [Re: Buddy1]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
I have to laugh...Microsoft tells you to upgrade to IE8 because the problem no longer exists in IE8. :P source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927917

So much for that. I can't find much other than telling you to upgrade (which you already have). I did find one other possible solution, and that is to uninstall Adobe Flash and reinstall the latest version of Adobe Flash. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/fo...ff-7027836b3def

I would make sure my Flash is up to date which you can do quickly by visiting: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Then make sure Java is up to date here: http://java.com/en/download/inc/windows_upgrade_xpi.jsp

If neither of those work, I can't find anything more on the problem that doesn't pertain to blogging websites or tell you to upgrade to IE8. Perhaps upgrade to IE9? Perhaps asking here would yield better results: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Or if someone else here has more experience with this type of error, they can chime in. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

#654553 - Sat Sep 17 2011 04:06 PM Re: I could use some help [Re: pyonir]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

I unchecked the "Enable third-party browser extensions", restarted my browser, and the error is still there, so apparently that means it is not an add-on. Would following the advice in your previous post still work even though it is not an add-on?

#654559 - Sat Sep 17 2011 04:49 PM Re: I could use some help [Re: Buddy1]
Emma058 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario Canada
Perhaps a different browser. I use Mozilla Firefox and have had very few problems with it.

#654629 - Sun Sep 18 2011 07:15 AM Re: I could use some help [Re: Emma058]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
An easy thing to try is clearing the Temporary Internet Files. It sometimes helps. Another is to try resetting Internet Explorer (Internet Options > Advanced > Reset button).

The advice to install a second browser is good, even if it is only ever used for test purposes. Install either Firefox or Google Chrome, try the troublesome sites/pages and see if the problem still happens. If it does, then you'll know the problem is not with Internet Explorer but lies elsewhere

#654661 - Sun Sep 18 2011 10:29 AM Re: I could use some help [Re: tellywellies]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
It could also be a problem with contributions from more than one source. I think my trouble with IE8 is partly due to my slow internet connection in addition to IE8 demanding a lot of tuning. So, Buddy1, how do you connect to the internet? phone line, cable, fiber optic cable, wifi, other? Has your Internet Service Provider (ISP) recently up-graded their gateway software? I may go back to IE7 which tolerated my slow dial-up connection. I experienced a shut down reset request the other day and those are mostly Microsoft as a source (I allow auto-update from them). It seems some of my page load stalls have switched to just grinding down to slow but not halting and my 'page will not load' message like yours are fewer in number. So, another tactic is to bear with it if Microsoft is doing the tuning from their end and not telling us. After all, it's just aggrevating and not breaking any equipment to do the refreshing all the time. If you can tolerate the stuff for a while longer, it may be easier than messing with your controls and swapping software (Though the back up browser is okay if you have enough space on your PC.)

Edit: The Tellywellies Internet Options pathway is from the pulldown 'Tools" menu on the browser's task bar.

Edited by mehaul (Sun Sep 18 2011 10:33 AM)

#654744 - Sun Sep 18 2011 07:54 PM Re: I could use some help [Re: mehaul]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

How do I tell how I connect to the Internet? It's probably not phone lines, since my family uses the phone when I'm on-line. How do I determine if my Internet Service Provider recently up-graded their gateway software?

Originally Posted By: tellywellies
An easy thing to try is clearing the Temporary Internet Files. It sometimes helps. Another is to try resetting Internet Explorer (Internet Options > Advanced > Reset button).

What exactly does the Reset button do? I did read what it said but it still didn't make sense. What is considered a "temporary file"? What exactly is a browser add-on?

#654793 - Mon Sep 19 2011 12:07 AM Re: I could use some help [Re: Buddy1]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
You can have two phones operating off one line. How to tell how you're connected? What does the modem port on the back of your computer connect to? Wall plug. wall cable jack, USB device right on the PC port? Do you pay a bill to someone for Internet access?
ISP changes usually are noticable by new presentation/look to the launch page (Or, find their Help menu and check "about..." which will give version and maybe date of it)

When you have hiccups, have you tried pressing <ctrl/alt/delete> to activate your task manager? If so, have you agreed with its request to forward the error info to Microsoft?

#654853 - Mon Sep 19 2011 10:04 AM Re: I could use some help [Re: mehaul]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

The modem port on the back of my computer connects to a wall plug.

Edited by Buddy1 (Mon Sep 19 2011 10:05 AM)

#655743 - Thu Sep 22 2011 04:39 PM Re: I could use some help [Re: Buddy1]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

I have recently come across another problem in my attempt to correct my first problem.

When I try to go a website I have often visited in the past, there is an error message that says "This webpage cannot be found". I doubt it's a problem on their end, since it has been down for several days and they usually leave a message when the site would be down. Also, this problem started when I clicked "Tools" then unchecked "Enable third-party browser extensions". I re-checked "Enable third-party browser extensions" hoping that the problem would go away but it didn't. (Both times I restarted my browser as the instructions requested.) I believe the checking/unchecking was the only thing I did between visiting this site before and trying to visit it again. Assuming something I did caused the problem, any idea on how it can be fixed?

#655807 - Thu Sep 22 2011 11:17 PM Re: I could use some help [Re: Buddy1]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Did you try seeing how things are in another browser?

Edit: Just noticed your question about resetting and clearing the Temporary Internet files. Resetting takes Internet Explorer back to all its default settings. You may have to set up a few preferences after this but resetting can cure problems. For instance, IE9 behaved very strangely for me whem I first upgraded from IE8 but using the Reset button cured it.

Temporary Internet files: When you visit any web site, images such as banners, avatars and any other image content are downloaded to your computer and stored in a place called the 'Temporary Internet Files' folder. If you re-visit a site (as is the case with this one), the browser will use these cached images for displaying in web pages rather than downloading them from the Internet again. This speeds up page display.

The trouble is that, over a period of time, the cache can become bloated. There is no more room for files, or there are so many in there that the browser has trouble finding them. This can cause problems with the browser. The first thing to try in case of strange behaviour is to try emptying the Temporary Internet files. It might not provide a cure but it's worth doing anyway.

Click on IE's 'cog' icon and go to 'Safety > Delete browsing history'. Make sure the options look like this and then click the Delete button.

You will have to log into sites again after doing this.

Edited by tellywellies (Fri Sep 23 2011 12:14 AM)

#656505 - Sun Sep 25 2011 07:29 PM Re: I could use some help [Re: tellywellies]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

How do I change browsers?

#656679 - Mon Sep 26 2011 06:33 PM Re: I could use some help [Re: Buddy1]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Download one and install it. A browser is just a computer program designed to displlay the Internet.

Editor for Television Category

#664544 - Sun Oct 30 2011 10:11 PM Re: I could use some help [Re: ladymacb29]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Have you done a hard (cold) boot since you changed your settings?

Moderator:  ladymacb29