Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#656529 - Mon Sep 26 2011 01:26 AM Railroad sign request
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I don't think I've ever posted here in all these years, but, I'm looking for a picture of a railway sign warning people that there are three trains. Many years ago, my father witnessed an accident and I managed to find a woman who'd also been a child that day as well and it was several family members who perished in that accident. he remembers a distinct sign that had a number that changed depending on the number of trains.
The newspaper account didn't mention the other trains, but he knows what he saw and, that the sign indicated it. The woman's family received no compensation for the loss of the four people and a passenger who were going to pick grapes after working on the fruit trees.

This would be US, but, if you have one from another country I'd like to see it. The year of the event was 1939.

I need to specify that it is not a crossbuck type sign, but one with a number and lights that flash.

Normally the signage says, 'three track' but I haven't found anything else.

Thanks in advance.

#656642 - Mon Sep 26 2011 03:04 PM Re: Railroad sign request
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
The nearest I have seen is one that I'll be walking past tomorrow, but it only warns of two trains, and doesn't change. If memory serves it shows someone crossing the track after one train has passed, but about to be hit by the second, going in the opposite direction. I'll have my camera with me tomorrow if you'd like to see that one.

#657632 - Fri Sep 30 2011 12:15 PM Re: Railroad sign request
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Thanks Liz, that's the one you see now and a good start but, this one actually blinked or had a number or trains sign on it. It was very unusual in those days. The reason I'd like to find a picture of it is that, the people all perished and it's haunted my father as well as the lady whose family perished. The news reports don't even mention the number of trains, only one train. I think there might have been a bit of a hushup. The family isn't bitter about this, but they did say that they never received any compensation and wondered if there had been a warning. My father said there was a sign blinking as well as indicating three trains. So it would be nice if we could find this to show them.

In France there's a standard sign that says something similar but I don't think there's an actual sign with moving parts. (Un train peut cacher un autre).

I've tried E bay and collectors and railway museums but still to no avail.

#664614 - Mon Oct 31 2011 11:29 AM Re: Railroad sign request
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
perhaps Satguru might know, he's quite an expert on signs.

#664659 - Mon Oct 31 2011 03:24 PM Re: Railroad sign request
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
The state department of motor vehicles would have been giving driver's exams back then. One requirement to get a license would have to have been able to read Railroad Crossing signs and information. If the State of California has an archivist attached to the dept. of motor vehicles, an old instruction booklet may have your answer. Beyond certifying train engineers (which may have been a Federal job) the driver license might be the only place it was legislated as mandatory to documant a discussion of the signage.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

Moderator:  TabbyTom