Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 16 of 20 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 >
Topic Options
#1049920 - Sun Jun 22 2014 09:58 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
I finished Beware this Boy last night (read all in one day, so it was pretty good... also, I got nothing else done all day). It was very good but very unsatisfactory ending, for me. I was hoping the story would continue in the next book in the series, but the synopsis of it I read online doesn't suggest so. Darn, I hate loose ends.

#1050103 - Tue Jun 24 2014 12:54 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
HairyBear Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
*WARNING: Politics ahead!*

I picked up Ayn Rand's Philosophy: Who Needs It at the library today. The very first essay/speech/chapter lays out the basic construction of philosophy in brilliant fashion, and then goes on to explain how the whole liberal world view of today originated with Immanuel Kant, and then shreds Kant's philosophy to ribbons in two sentences. I get such a thrill every time I pick up Ayn Rand again because she explains in clear, concise, coherent fashion all the things I believe without being able to express nearly as well.

To finish the previous review of Florence King's book, the second half of the book wasn't nearly as funny or entertaining as the first half. I was disappointed, too, that she didn't get into more of how she became a conservative, how she became a misanthrope (her own description of herself), or how she became a writer for National Review.

#1050805 - Sun Jun 29 2014 05:02 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
I'm starting A Study in a Scarlet, the first Sherlock Holmes novel. I've enjoyed recent Holmes adaptations - the two modern-day set TV series and the Robert Downey Jr movies - and I thought why not give the original stories a go? I recently needed to purchase something to get an Amazon order past the free shipping threshold, and I chose to get the complete Sherlock Holmes collection, in two paperback volumes, for a very decent price. The only downside is that it's in two volumes only... The print is tiny!

#1050807 - Sun Jun 29 2014 05:19 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Oh, I hope you like them - I still remember exactly where I was when I first read "A Study in Scarlet". My mom had to call me three times for dinner.

The original stories are nothing much like the recent adaptations, but they have their own gas-lit charms.

#1050808 - Sun Jun 29 2014 05:29 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
I just finished "The Wolf of Wall Street" by Jordan Belfort (yes, the basis for the movie). It was...poorly written. Belfort, in my opinion, is about as close to the definition of a psychopath as you can get without actually killing anyone. The entire book is written in that tone as well, him being better, smarter, more handsome, etc than everyone else. Including his bragging about how much he can drink and how many narcotics he can use in a day. It got rather tiresome and repetitive. The writing is about what I'd expect from a teenage boy and really shows his lack of understanding of his own shortcomings and how he affects other people in his life.

Anyway, if that sounds appealing to you, give it a read. If not, avoid it. It's a shame he's making money from the book and the movie, given his disgusting history.

#1051091 - Tue Jul 01 2014 11:55 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
HairyBear Offline
Enthusiast

I read all the Sherlock Holmes stories and novels years ago, and I must say, while the short stories were in general marvelous, I thought the novels seriously defective. A Study in Scarlet wasn't so bad, but The Hound of the Baskervilles was terrible.

Thanks for the honest review, pyonir. I was surprised and somewhat disappointed to find out that the most successful businessmen are all psychopaths who don't kill people. Psychopaths who don't kill people also tend to have more children than the general population due to their charm and lack of remorse, and still worse news, psychopathy is an inheritable trait.

#1051329 - Thu Jul 03 2014 09:08 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: HairyBear]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
I just started 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak - so far it's excellent.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#1051332 - Thu Jul 03 2014 09:58 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: skunkee]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: skunkee
I just started 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak - so far it's excellent.

I'm about 3/4th of the way through it. I like the story, but don't really care for the format/style of the writing. Overall I get the appeal of it though...since the story is so strong.

#1051335 - Thu Jul 03 2014 10:19 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Yes I liked the story, but to tell the truth I never really understand the need to make the narrator be Death.

#1051833 - Mon Jul 07 2014 10:36 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: ren33
Yes I liked the story, but to tell the truth I never really understand the need to make the narrator be Death.

I was more annoyed with the interruptions (what I call them anyway, I'm not sure if there's a better term for it) where the narrator injects comments throughout the book.

#1054615 - Wed Jul 23 2014 03:27 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
I came across a little gem.
"When we were bad" by Charlotte Mendelson.
It very cleverly weaves a family and its troubles. It could only be a Jewish family and oh how well the writer knows the ups and downs. I loved it for its wit and its insight. A first novel, I think . I hope there are more.

#1056352 - Sat Aug 02 2014 05:09 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Well it obviously wasn't a first novel I looked her up, having so loved "When we were Bad". This one : "Almost English " is so much funnier . The other had some tragic elements. It is a while since I laughed aloud while reading. This one is set in a Hungarian family in London and is a scream. I really recommend her.

#1056430 - Sat Aug 02 2014 03:12 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Finished reading the "Wool" Omnibus from Hugh Howey. Found the book entertaining, interesting. I haven't read a lot of new Dystopian books, so can't really compare it to anything off the top of my head. I do like Howey's writing style, having also read "The Hurricane" from him. I'm planning on the rest of the Wool series, the Sand series and "I, Zombie" as well. I liked Wool mainly because it wasn't much of a science fiction based dystopia, more of a realistic based one. I'd recommend it to anyone that likes dystopian novels.

Howey is an interesting story/rise to fame as well. From a short story, self published to a movie coming out next year directed by Ridley Scott. By all accounts it'll be a massive blockbuster film. I haven't seen any actors attached to it yet, though.

#1056612 - Sun Aug 03 2014 02:59 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying. The brother is taxing my patience, I tell you.

#1056628 - Sun Aug 03 2014 04:12 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Dangerous Women" an anthology of short fiction from the people who brought us the "Warriors" anthologies, Gardner Dozois and George RR Martin. Typically excellent stuff - these are wonderful anthologies with a fantasy s/f slant, though other genres are represented. Quite a few historical fiction writers in this one. Everyone will find at least one story they find outstanding in this collection, and if you like fantasy and s/f, you're certain to find more than one.

#1056967 - Tue Aug 05 2014 08:25 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Online   content

Administrator

At the same time as the above, I'm also working my way through "Where Joy Resides", a collection of writings by Christopher Isherwood. I really love Isherwood - a camera he is indeed, and one which sees everything. I suspect he was a very uncomfortable person to actually know - you'd know that he was noticing all those little things that the rest of us don't, or at least pretend not to.

I see that this collection includes "A Single Man" which I have not yet read, just seen the movie. I don't know if I'll have the strength - the film nearly finished me.

#1057276 - Wed Aug 06 2014 01:40 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
HairyBear Offline
Enthusiast

Almost finished with Creating Love by John Bradshaw. Life-changing. Literally life-altering.

#1061036 - Sat Aug 23 2014 04:20 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
TriviaFan22 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Texas USA
Christian Ethics by Norman Geisler

Pascal's Wager by James A. Connor

i briefly started but stopped to finish up on "Pascal..."

Singled Out by Bella DePaulo. I have to finish one more before I return to that And I start school Monday so my reading hours will be cut short tremendously.

#1061086 - Sun Aug 24 2014 04:09 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

About 3/4 of the way through the "Shift" omnibus by Hugh Howey. I like it much better than "Wool". "Shift" is a prequel he wrote after "Wool". He shows you the origins of the story that occurred in "Wool" and even introduces the back story of a few characters he didn't expand on in the first omnibus.

#1061468 - Tue Aug 26 2014 06:48 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

I'm sure many of you have read "Don Quixote". I just can't get into it. I'm only on Chapter XI, so does it start slow? Is it pretty consistent throughout? I'm trying to decide if I should stick with it...or scrap it now.

#1062317 - Sun Aug 31 2014 01:47 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Have just finished "When the Wind Blows" by Raymond Briggs, a graphic novel for adults and not the sort of thing I would usually have opted for in the bookstore.

It's an easy read, it took me maybe 30 minutes to get through it. My interest had been sparked by a song I heard which was written after the singer had read this book, and I was intrigued. Having finished the book, I was then intrigued to look up the "Protect and Survive" pamphlet that had been issued to households in the UK in the 80s, and generally read up about the background setting. There was an animated movie made also, and the discussions linked to it on the imdb site make for interesting reading. The whole experience is pretty chilling!

A very disturbing novel most particularly because of the charming cartoon-images (same style as Briggs' other well-known work, "The Snowman"), the exaggeratedly eccentric yet ever-trusting and innocent main (& only) characters, and the contrasting underlying truth and horror of what Nuclear fall-out really could mean.

A great experience altogether!

Edited by Santana2002 (Sun Aug 31 2014 02:29 AM)
Edit Reason: to add links

#1062337 - Sun Aug 31 2014 05:18 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
Great review. I found that book (and film, and play) so sad and scary; and just as you said, the contrast between the trusting couple and the horror of fall out is so effective.

I've seen the corresponding Irish pamphlet (hang all your sheets out of the windows to deflect the blast, and hide under a table), it was printed with the centre pages upside down which didn't inspire too much trust. And then there were the iodine tablets distributed to every household - 6 per house - seems fair, it is not as if Ireland is known for large catholic extended families or anything, 6 shall be ample. smile

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/iodine-tablets-sent-to-irish-homes-55898.html

Edited by Chavs (Sun Aug 31 2014 05:19 AM)

#1062343 - Sun Aug 31 2014 05:59 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

I was wondering why I didn't remember receiving the iodine tablets, until I looked at the date. I had emigrated at that stage ...

The couple in the book were so over-the-top silly, the sad part is that the exaggeration is not really that far off the mark. How many thousands of us would similarly blindly follow governmental advice thinking that they were acting in our interests, not realizing that the hidden agenda is to actually make the life of the ruling body after fallout, easier? And this applies not just to fallout but to many other aspects of life in a democratic republic.

It was definitely a thought-provoking read!

#1062346 - Sun Aug 31 2014 06:45 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
This may be a silly question, but what was the iodine for?

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1062356 - Sun Aug 31 2014 09:06 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

To protect against radiation sickness.

"KI (potassium iodide) is a salt of stable (not radioactive) iodine that can help block radioactive iodine from being absorbed by the thyroid gland, thus protecting this gland from radiation injury.

The thyroid gland is the part of the body that is most sensitive to radioactive iodine."

From here.

Page 16 of 20 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 >

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom