Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 7 of 16 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#951368 - Sat Nov 24 2012 01:50 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: pyonir]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"More Baths, Less Talking" - the latest installment of Nick Hornby's collections from his "Stuff I'm Reading" column. As always, lots of books on the lists that sound intriguing, and which I've never heard of. Some of them at least are bound to turn up here in future. I'm off now to the library webpage to do some ordering.

#951583 - Sun Nov 25 2012 06:27 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: pyonir]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
I'm reading John Connelly "The Lovers". One of his Charlie Parker series. Despite the fact that they are so very very dark I do like these books. They are well written and quite compelling despite the subject matter.

Agony, I've never read "The Friends of Eddie Coyle", but you've piqued my curiosity on it now so it's next on the list to read.

#951606 - Sun Nov 25 2012 08:35 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Christinap]
agony Offline

Administrator

I hope you like it. And if you don't, well, it's short.

#954453 - Sat Dec 08 2012 01:22 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Child that Books Built - a Life in Reading" bu Francis Spufford.

A very personal exploration of his childhood addiction to reading. He's got some interesting things to say about the role of story, and there was considerable nostalgia in the descriptions of the "Children's Hardcover Fiction" section of the library. For the most part, the story of his journey wasn't very similar to mine, but there was enough similarity that this book has got me thinking about the book-addicted child I was, and what I got from it, what I lost because of it, what it was all about. If you were one of those kids who dived into books head first, you might find this interesting.

#954455 - Sat Dec 08 2012 02:06 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Santana2002]
sisterseagull Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
I am currently reading Grimm's Fairy Tales and The Iliad of Homer

#954512 - Sat Dec 08 2012 05:40 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: sisterseagull]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Just finished "Nam-Sense: Surviving Vietnam with the 101st Airborne" by Arthur Wiknik. It was an interesting read. Wiknik isn't your typical Vietnam Vet/author, he spends more time trying to get out of things, than being in the middle of them. It's not a blood and gore war book, nor all that negative, except in regards to officers in his platoon/company. Just another take on the war from a draftee that didn't want to be there at all.

#954591 - Sun Dec 09 2012 10:53 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: pyonir]
agony Offline

Administrator

"American Rust" by Philipp Meyer.

Set in the rubble of Pennsylvania steel country - something bad happens, and it all goes downhill from there. This is the only thing I've ever read by Meyer; he's got a filmmaker's eye and a great ear for dialogue. 100% authentic characters.
This would make a great movie, though a grim one.

----------------------
pyonir, that sounds good, I'll check it out.

#954903 - Tue Dec 11 2012 09:04 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
papo2228 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Buenos Aires Argentina       
I'm reading a very funny novel by Herman Wouk, the author of "The Caine Mutiny". It´s called "Don´t Stop the Carnival". It´s set on an imaginary Caribbean island and tells you about the hard problems a New yorker had to manage a hotel.

#955510 - Fri Dec 14 2012 10:30 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: papo2228]
agony Offline

Administrator

I remember reading that one years ago - it was indeed a lot of fun.

Just finished Roger Ebert's "Great Movies III". This is the last in this series, and seems to be more of a "Great Directors" as several of the essays are about all of a lesser-known director's work, rather than just one movie. I've got a half dozen of the movies coming now from the library, so they'll end up on the other list over the next few weeks.

#955952 - Mon Dec 17 2012 09:36 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
The first book in a series about H.I.V.E., the Higher Institute for Villainous Education. Not normally something I would read, but the review sounded good--and the ending makes you want to jump right into the next one. Hillarious at spots, and in all very well-written.

#956107 - Tue Dec 18 2012 06:54 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Jazmee27]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I finally got around to start "V is for Vengeance" by Sue Grafton. Since she started the series, beginning with "A is for Alibi", I've read them all up to this point. But it's been so many years since the first one and I've forgotten a lot of the stories, if I started the series over again, it'd be like starting anew.

#956117 - Tue Dec 18 2012 08:22 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ClaraSue]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
I ought to go back to them. I sort of got bored by about M.

#956121 - Tue Dec 18 2012 09:31 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Offline

Administrator

I think I've read up to T. The series has varied in quality over the years, a bit - I really liked how fresh and breezy she was in the first few books, but all this stuff about her family doesn't do much for me.

In one of Lawrence Block's "Burglar" books, they are discussing the series as if it had finished its first round through the alphabet and was starting again - AA is for Battery, BB is for Gun, CC is for Rider, etc. Pretty funny.

#956339 - Wed Dec 19 2012 09:49 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Have just picked up 'The Hobbit' for the umpteenth time. I want to read it again after seeing the movie.
On kindle I am making my way through the grafton books again. I too got bored with them before, but I think it was around K.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#956517 - Thu Dec 20 2012 11:42 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: skunkee]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Just finished “Fang” last night—it’s one of the books in the “Maximum Ride” series. Apparently, I read two out of sequence, because I was given them in that order: “Fang” follows the events in “Angel,” or so it would seem, because some things seem… there are certain gaps otherwise.

Now I’m reading “White Cat,” the first book in the “Curse Workers” series (or trilogy—I don’t know which). I’ve just started, but the beginning has Cassel sleepwalking in the middle of the night, resulting in his being trapped on the school roof.

#956545 - Thu Dec 20 2012 03:14 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Jazmee27]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Could I remind people to give author's names? I for one have never heard of those. I suppose you don't mean Jack London books?

#956583 - Thu Dec 20 2012 06:08 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
I think it's James Patterson. At least, that's what Google says.

#956636 - Thu Dec 20 2012 11:06 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: LeoDaVinci]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Thanks. I think of London when I see "Fang", now I think about it it is "White Fang" isnt it'? But we still need to let people know authors' names when recommending books, eh?

#957645 - Thu Dec 27 2012 01:59 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
davaltd Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Michigan USA
I am currently reading Inheritance.

#957703 - Thu Dec 27 2012 06:32 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: davaltd]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Welcome davaltd! Tell us what you think of "Inheritance". Who wrote it and what is it about?

#957791 - Fri Dec 28 2012 07:00 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Offline

Administrator

Been reading quite a bit as I haven't been sleeping, and don't have good internet access right now.

Dennis Lehane's "The Given Day" = second try at this one, first time I couldn't finish as it was all a bit too grim and political. This one is probably only readable if you are a bit of a leftie.

"Nocturne" Ed McBain. A solid 87th Precinct novel.

"A Far Cry from Kensington" Muriel Spark. I'd only ever read "Miss Jean Brodie" from her before, but I think I'll check out a few more - this was odd but good.

"Let the Great World Spin" Colum McCann - what can I say about this -magical novel, highly recommend it. Beautifully written, full of love and pain, rich and textured.

"Trust Your Eyes" Linwood Barclay. Barclay writes pretty good thrillers in the Harlen Coben tradition - a normal guy gets caught up in seemingly inexplicable events, and eventually finds out something about his own life. This one has an intriguing premise but, meh. Don't like the main character much, so found it hard to care.

#957825 - Fri Dec 28 2012 11:50 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Finished “The Ruins of Gorlan” last night, and can’t wait to pick up the second one.

Also started “I’ll be Seeing You,” and am having trouble really getting into it. Perhaps I’ll start another book and finish that first, then come back to it…

#957919 - Fri Dec 28 2012 06:19 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Jazmee27]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
You are again reminded to please give some details of the book you are mentioning , like the author, setting , why it might interest others etc. The idea here is to share information on books, not to make a list Thanks.

#957933 - Fri Dec 28 2012 09:07 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

OK… I’ve finally gathered my thoughts—at least, I think I have.

“I’ll Be Seeing You” is rather complicated… there’s a medical mystery having to do with… hmmm… how can I say this without giving an ything away? Well, the broad topic, I suppose, would be pregnancy. Then, there’s a more personal mystery surrounding one of the characters (trust issues, betrayal, that sort of thing), and somehow these two stories fit together (I have a ways to go, so I’m struggling to understand how they can).

And I have actually started another book, because I want to make some room on my bookshelf. Disturbing topic, of a sort, but I’ve always been into history (and, for some reason, slavery’s always intrigued me). The title is “They Called Themselves the K.K.K.” Contains interviews and narratives that, at times, are difficult to read or invoke strong emotions (including disgust and offense), so this is definetly not for everyone. (I’m not too far into the story yet, so I haven’t reached where the Organization’s created—but it looks like I’ll get there in the second chapter.)

#958037 - Sat Dec 29 2012 11:06 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Jazmee27]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
I am rereading the Harry Potter books. I finished the second last night so I start my favourite this evening when I go to bed.

Page 7 of 16 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom