Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#662257 - Wed Oct 19 2011 02:39 PM Possible "Team Founder" designation?
Gheelnory
No longer registered

Now that the site has been here for a good number of years, there are probably cases in which a Team Leader would like to pass the leadership along to another member (for any of a number of reasons).

But it seems rather hard on people who are altruistic enough to give up the Leader status, to have to go back to being 'merely a member'...would it make sense, only in the case of teams of substantial age (seven years, maybe, or five years), to give the person giving up the Leader position the status of 'Team Founder'...?

This would be a rare situation, as for all teams that have been around the chosen number of years (say, seven) only a small number would have a Leader who wants to stay on the team, yet sees the team's best interests as being served by letting another take on the Leader duties.

There could be a badge. A couple of possible examples, to give the general idea:

...or...

This might turn out to be the rarest badge of all!

...Just an idea (and I apologize if I've failed to post it in the correct place).

#662262 - Wed Oct 19 2011 02:47 PM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: ]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
I imagine it would just encourage people to found a team, and have friends join it for the sake of a badge... The point of a team is that you all work in the best interests of a team and it's not about self! :P

#662266 - Wed Oct 19 2011 02:51 PM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: reeshy]
Gheelnory
No longer registered

Yes, that's why I specified 'team must be seven years old'(or five years old or whatever makes sense). It would have to be a case of the Leader giving up the leadership, too...if they took it back, they'd lose the Founder badge--in order to prevent 'gaming the system.'

And as far as "it's not about self"---I agree. I just think it's a shame that someone who's self-sacrificing enough to give up the Leadership (if they can no longer perform the duties as they feel they ought) has to go back to being an ordinary member. The Team Founder designation would at least preserve some of the team history and give recognition where recognition is due.

Edited by Gheelnory (Wed Oct 19 2011 02:54 PM)

#662281 - Wed Oct 19 2011 03:55 PM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: ]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Oh, I see. I'm sorry, I missed that sentence! It's an idea that might work. In any case, your designs are very nice!

#662390 - Wed Oct 19 2011 10:52 PM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: reeshy]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
I like the idea,paying a tribute to long time leaders and founders.
Anybody else think it might be feasible and workable?

#662409 - Thu Oct 20 2011 12:47 AM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: reeshy]
Gheelnory
No longer registered

Originally Posted By: reeshy
In any case, your designs are very nice!

Thanks! I do love messing around with my Photoshop Elements. ^_^ (And of course if Terry wanted to use any design I might post here in general, I'd be happy to donate it.)

#662410 - Thu Oct 20 2011 12:50 AM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: george48]
Gheelnory
No longer registered

Originally Posted By: george48
I like the idea, paying a tribute to long time leaders and founders.

Thanks; I just wanted to add that I never intended this idea to represent loads of extra work for Terry. If it were limited to Team Leaders who met BOTH criteria (1, had given up the Leadership, and 2, had led their team continuously for seven years or five years or whatever period seems best) then the number of people involved would be small.

#662441 - Thu Oct 20 2011 07:07 AM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: ]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
I agree with the idea broadly, and with the notion that the team leadership should have been for a considerable period. I think 5-7 years though is rather steep - I doubt (with few exceptions) that it's in most teams' interests to have the same leader for 5 years or more. Two years is a substantial length of time in 'FT life' and feels about right to me to qualify for the badge.

(It's also about the length of time I've been a team leader, but the two are entirely coincidental cool)

I like the badge designs too, but there seems to be some fudging about 'founding' a team and 'leading' it for 'x' years. I get the sense we're talking about the badge being for leading the team for a long period, even if you didn't originally establish the team, and therefore the term 'founder' seems inaccurate.

#662459 - Thu Oct 20 2011 08:23 AM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: dsimpy]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Our Team already fits into that situation. Our Team Founder is still an active member of the team, but she gave up the reigns a couple of years ago, due to time constraints. We call her our first or original fearless leader, and our current leader is the leader. Both positions deserve recognition.

#662465 - Thu Oct 20 2011 09:06 AM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: shuehorn]
stedman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London England UK         
I made a suggestion a few months ago that anyone who has been a Team Leader for more than 12 months should be allowed to keep the Team Leader badge.

At one time, anyone who handed over to a team-mate was allowed to keep the badge, but this privilege was removed to stop teams handing the position round on a weekly basis until everyone had it.

However, the change was not retrospective, so there are quite a few ex-leaders out there who were allowed to keep the badge. My proposal was meant to be a fair and reasonable compromise, recognising substantial contributions only.

Sadly, my suggestion was not adopted, although I still think it is worthwhile.

#662568 - Thu Oct 20 2011 03:03 PM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: stedman]
Gheelnory
No longer registered

It does sound as though two separate groups, possibly both worthy of recognition, might be under discussion:

--The person who founded a team, put it together, and led it for some number of years (to prevent gaming the system, the number of years should be...well, I'd think at least two, though more would make sense, too), and

--A person who handled Team Leader responsibilities and duties for some period of years.

The first could be "Team Founder" and the second, perhaps, "Leader Emeritus" or "Past Leader" or "Former Leader".

Again, if Terry were to find this idea worthwhile, it would make sense for the period of years required to qualify to be fairly large--it should be a rare designation, not a common one. I'd be in favor of Team Founder status being reserved for those who've given up the Leader position (after a certain number of years of service), with the Founder badge going away if the person takes back the Leadership. Similarly with any potential Leader Emeritus badge--it would go away if the person took back the Leadership.

For me this is about recognition of years of work--and about the fact that currently, if the founder of a team gives up the Leader position after years of work, there is no recognition of their years of service visible on their Profile.

With proper restrictions, some sort of recognition program such as suggested in this thread could be implemented without becoming a cynical exercise in badge-gathering.

#662573 - Thu Oct 20 2011 03:23 PM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: ]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I could be wrong, only Terry knows the answer, but it is possible that the software isn't programmed to store the date of when a person formed a team in which case this wouldn't be feasible. Perhaps the date is stored, but if it wasn't thought to be required then there would have been no point in holding that information. I am just speaking as an ex-programmer, not basing it on what is actually stored and not stored at Funtrivia.

#662663 - Fri Oct 21 2011 09:25 AM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: sue943]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Of course the caveats Sue mentions are certainly possible restrictions to being able to put this type of recognition in place, but if they end up not being a problem, I would welcome the type of badges that Gheelnory has mentioned. Some of our teams are true communities of friends and recognizing years of dedication to those sub-groups would be a nice addition to FT.

#662674 - Fri Oct 21 2011 12:04 PM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: shuehorn]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Does the candidate for this badge still have to be member of the *same* team? I would think so, but it has not yet been brought up.

The candidate for such badge should still be active on the site: I feel it is a bit awkward to bestow a badge on someone who left FunTrivia.

#662717 - Fri Oct 21 2011 03:41 PM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: JanIQ]
Gheelnory
No longer registered

These are good questions; I hadn't thought about the question of someone who founds a team then leaves and is still active on FunTrivia on another team. However, I'd think that if we add in the "certain number of years since founding of the team" criterion, there would probably be few who'd qualify. (My personal reaction: the Founder badge should be restricted to those still playing on the team that they founded.)

As for records of the date a team was formed...I have no idea. I'd think that would exist in the database, but my guess and five dollars will buy you a cup of Starbucks coffee (in other words, I'm no expert!)

If the founding date does exist in the database, but the name of the founder does not: if the date is more than (say) five years in the past AND all team members who've been on the team since, say, the first six months all agree that So-and-So was the person who started the team...then maybe that would be solid-enough information for this purpose. Remember that it would also have to be the case that that agreed-upon founder wants to give up the leadership and also stay on the team. For how many teams would all these factors come together? (I'd guess: not many.)

#662723 - Fri Oct 21 2011 03:51 PM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: ]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Badges are all awarded automatically and are programmed in, it isn't a case of someone checking criteria then awarding a badge.

#662927 - Sat Oct 22 2011 03:41 PM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: sue943]
queproblema Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Kenny Lake Alaska USA     
First, I admit I haven't studied every word of this thread, but I've read most and skimmed the rest.

This seems like a great idea.

My team went down the tubes when the leader could no longer lead but would not resign. Maybe if she could have had this "emeritus" badge she would have let go.

#663023 - Sun Oct 23 2011 11:41 AM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: queproblema]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
The trouble with suggesting "universal" badges, is that the first reaction of several folks here is "what's in it for me?". If the answer is nothing, then they're "agin it" or want to overcomplicate the criteria until they've bored everyone and then nothing at all happens with the (initially) good idea. It's sort of like "well if we can't ALL win the Nobel Peace Prize, then it needs to be done away with" lol.

But that attitude doesn't negate the fact that certain people should be recognised for the things they have accomplished.

I personally love the suggestion. It doesn't even have to be a badge that everyone has a chance at (of which there would be very few in any case - and justly so). Terry has mentioned the ability for teams to award their own badges and I'm patiently waiting for HIS criteria on what those would entail : )

#663260 - Tue Oct 25 2011 08:57 AM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: Jakeroo]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Sorry if I'm repeating things here; but there is a lot of words and I'm tired so I skimmed.

Instead of a completely new badge, I would like to see a slight tweak in the team leader badge. As it stands now, a player loses the badge if he steps down as leader.

Now, the volunteer badge will remain on the profile forever if an editor steps down.

My suggestion is this...

I have been team leader for well over a year, and a team leader for a while before that before it was handed over; and eventually back to me. Now, I understand that the reason the badge is taken away if you are not the leader is to prevent people from passing around leadership to give 100 people the badge.

However, this hardly seems fair to those who have legitimate reasons to step down, but have led a team for several years. I would like to implement a solution to this.

As it stands, the requirements for the badge are to be leading a team currently.

I would like to change this to leading a team currently, OR have led a team in the past for at least a years time. If you have led a team for a year, the badge becomes permanent. This will solve BOTH issues. The issue of simply NOT giving up leadership because you want to keep your badge that you've had for x years.... AND the issue of giving to someone else simply to give tons of people the badge. This would take 10 years for a very small team to all have the badge, and is hardly worth the time.

That way a long-time leader of a team still gets an "honorary badge" of having been so diligent with leading a team for so long, even if he is no longer the team leader.

Thoughts?

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#663264 - Tue Oct 25 2011 09:11 AM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: salami_swami]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
I agree. Are you wearing your sensible head today?

#663288 - Tue Oct 25 2011 12:00 PM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: dippo]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
Agree.

(cutting down on words)

#663295 - Tue Oct 25 2011 01:49 PM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: dsimpy]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
A flaw I find in the Founder's Badge is that many teams are started when two people decide to open a franchise. They share all the work to get the team running but the FT rules require a single leader so the founder scenario neglects to honor the second individual. Maybe an 'original member' or 'Ground Breaker' (with a backhoe badge image) rather than Founder would work. Any recently 'formed by a couple' teammers care to opine? (not visciously round about of course.)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#663296 - Tue Oct 25 2011 01:57 PM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: mehaul]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
I would also like to add in a note about my confusion of why 20 active members are required for the team leader badge. It takes five to score in Heroes, 6 in TvT, so why the 20 number for that badge? The great thing about Funtrivia is that it celebrates teams both large and small, yet that badge does not seem to reflect that mentality. Our relatively new team has accomplished many milestones, heck, we were third overall last month, so it seems like great things can come in smaller packages and that should be reflected in the team badges.

Edited by bubblesfun (Tue Oct 25 2011 02:01 PM)

#663297 - Tue Oct 25 2011 02:04 PM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: mehaul]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Originally Posted By: mehaul
A flaw I find in the Founder's Badge is that many teams are started when two people decide to open a franchise. They share all the work to get the team running but the FT rules require a single leader so the founder scenario neglects to honor the second individual. Maybe an 'original member' or 'Ground Breaker' (with a backhoe badge image) rather than Founder would work. Any recently 'formed by a couple' teammers care to opine? (not visciously round about of course.)

I'd like to second mehaul on this one. TVC was co-founded by Alex (bubblesfun) and I. Since TVC has been founded, we've both been captains for at least 3 months each since we started in late January. As far as picking just one, I don't know if you could for TVC.

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#663299 - Tue Oct 25 2011 03:17 PM Re: Possible "Team Founder" designation? [Re: cubswin2323]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

I agree with Salami that the sensible thing would be to simply allow the Team Leader to remain after a certain time period has passed. I'm not sure what could be done for teams such as TVC though, but it'd be nice if multiple leaders could be recognized for their work: at a stretch, the two of you could hold the badge for the 12 months and pass it on. This wouldn't be taking advantage and getting the badge for free in your case!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Terry