Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#665350 - Thu Nov 03 2011 12:06 PM Re: FunTrivia Book Club - October 10th [Re: Christinap]
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama USA
Originally Posted By: Christinap
I wonder if he felt that by casting off the identity he was using at any one time and taking up another one he was also casting off the deeds that that personna did, so the revenge wasn't done by the real him, it was done by the "other" him, who he put aside when he was done.

I like that idea!

To me though it also supports the idea that he thinks he is above it all--that he can cast off what the "other" him did and have no remorse.

#665556 - Fri Nov 04 2011 08:26 AM Re: FunTrivia Book Club - October 10th [Re: Dagny1]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
It certainly allows him to disassociate himself from his own actions and retain what he views as the core integrity of his "real" self.

#665603 - Fri Nov 04 2011 11:59 AM Re: FunTrivia Book Club - October 10th [Re: Christinap]
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
So, seeing that he was a direct accessory to murder, you think that absolves him of the blame?

#665665 - Fri Nov 04 2011 06:16 PM Re: FunTrivia Book Club - October 10th [Re: LeoDaVinci]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

No, I don't think it absolves him of blame, but I think he thinks it does. Each personna sees their actions as completely justified and right. Righting a wrong, dispensing justice in the good old "eye for an eye" method Then that personna sheds its skin, like a snake does, and moves on to the next one. With each personna change the deeds of the one before are forgotten, absolved, done by someone else. It's never the "real" him that does them because that person never actually does anything and is therefore blameless.

#666277 - Sun Nov 06 2011 07:53 PM Re: FunTrivia Book Club - October 10th [Re: Christinap]
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Just now getting a chance to report a "sighting".

On last week's Person of Interest, the student was reading The Count of Monte Cristo. It must have been abridged though, because the prop wasn't nearly as fat as mine, lol.

#668930 - Fri Nov 18 2011 01:44 PM Re: FunTrivia Book Club - October 10th [Re: Dagny1]
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
So why do we end up invariably feeling like Monte Cristo is in the right and the rest are in the wrong if they've all committed crimes?

#668981 - Fri Nov 18 2011 03:57 PM Re: FunTrivia Book Club - October 10th [Re: LeoDaVinci]
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: LeoDaVinci
So why do we end up invariably feeling like Monte Cristo is in the right and the rest are in the wrong if they've all committed crimes?

Because he's so likeable? wink

For me, it is probably because he was plotted against in the beginning and quickly gained my sympathy. The plotters gained my distrust and enmity. I don't think I could ever have come around to having sympathy for them. But I was pulling for Dantes from the beginning, first to get out of prison, then . . . . etc.

#669086 - Sat Nov 19 2011 05:35 AM Re: FunTrivia Book Club - October 10th [Re: Dagny1]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

I think Dagny is right. We are immediately sympathetic towards Monte Criso because of what is done to him, we sympathise with his wish for revenge - I mean havn't we all wanted revenge for something at some time or another. As a character he is intensely human, with problems, feelings and motivations we can all empathise with. The plotters on the other hand represent everything we are against and again we can relate to them on the level of we would want bad things to happen to them if we were Monte Cristo.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom