Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#667947 - Mon Nov 14 2011 03:33 PM Re: Fall 2011 New Tv Season [Re: ladymacb29]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
I checked out the pilot for "Hell on Wheels" on AMC. It was okay...some bad parts, some okay parts, a couple decent parts. I'll give the next couple episodes a shot, but if they don't improve in acting, story and the cliches; I'll be abandoning it.

#667976 - Mon Nov 14 2011 05:09 PM Re: Fall 2011 New Tv Season [Re: ladymacb29]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
Sypher, read the Dresden files books, they are far better than the show ever was. I agree, last week's "Grimm" wasn't as good as the first two. It happens I suppose. I couldn't bring myself to watch "Allen Gregory". From the previews it just seemed bad.

#668313 - Tue Nov 15 2011 06:40 PM Re: Fall 2011 New Tv Season [Re: rayven80]
Sypher Offline

Loc: East London
England UK    
I'll check out those books. I didn't even know they existed.

#668610 - Wed Nov 16 2011 11:47 PM Re: Fall 2011 New Tv Season [Re: ladymacb29]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Wow, I finally watched Allen Gregory. What a bad show. So bad it bordered on offensive in its lameness.

#670126 - Thu Nov 24 2011 01:57 AM Re: Fall 2011 New Tv Season [Re: bubblesfun]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton Ohio USA              
I thought that this article was kinda cool smile, not to mention being in step with the holiday (and all that ...) ~

25 Reasons To Give Thanks For TV This Year

#674095 - Sun Dec 18 2011 04:34 AM Re: Fall 2011 New Tv Season [Re: Gatsby722]
StarfishTwo Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge Tennessee USA      
Here I am coming late to the party again ~ much as I do in real life. But it took me forever to get caught up on new TV this fall. Due to a changed work situation, I can't watch any primetime TV in person anymore, so I am now getting 99% of my TV viewing via the internet. This enabled me to wait and watch when it was convenient ~ and also to read what all of you have said before deciding what shows to check out. Then, of course, I had to catch up on all those missed episodes. But I am now currently up-to-date, and actually at the moment am completely without anything new to watch.

First and foremost, I am completely obsessed with "American Horror Story"! I'm thinking this one might need a thread of its own ~ there is so much going on there to discuss. The last 2 episodes in particular were particularly compelling. They might be paying homage to many horror movies, but in my opinion, they are doing it better than the majority ever have.

"The Walking Dead" was a treat after so long a wait. Too long a wait, really ~ they are lucky so many of us stuck around waiting for so long. I've seen a lot of complaints on the internet about too much "soap opera" and too little zombie action this season. But I really have to disagree. Zombie killing is fine in a feature film, but one can't base an entire television show around nothing but trying to kill all the zombies. Now we have to wait til February to see the fallout from the barn executions. Feels like forever, but at least it's not a year and a half this time. (Not watching television shows on the night they premiere has some disadvantages -- a great big freakin' thanks to whoever posted the pic of Zombie Sophia emerging from the barn right there on the Google news page to spoil the whole thing for me! I would much rather have been surprised!)

I've picked up "Suburgatory" based on Gatsby's recommendation. It's no "Modern Family" but I've enjoyed the characters as they've developed. I'm still having a really hard time buying Tessa as a teenager. The episode featuring her 16th birthday nearly killed me, as I only discovered at that point that I was supposed to be buying the fact that this character was a mere 15! They couldn't find an actual 16 year old actress anywhere on the planet to play this role? Still, as long as I pretend this person is the most mature 16 year old on Planet Earth, this show and I get along just fine.

I'm also watching "Once Upon a Time", which is fairly entertaining, but not one of those shows that I can't wait to see what's going to happen next. I keep up with it but it's usually at the bottom of my viewing list.

I tried "Terra Nova" but found the storyline a bit too episodic for that sort of show. The ratings weren't stellar, and I was a bit afraid of getting "FlashForward-ed", so I've let that one go for now.

Still watching and thoroughly enjoying "Modern Family", but really don't watch anything else from prior to this season (unless you count "The Walking Dead"). So I guess I would have to declare the fall 2011 season a success ~ at least at my house.

#681437 - Sun Jan 15 2012 11:42 PM Re: Fall 2011 New Tv Season [Re: StarfishTwo]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton Ohio USA              
Had to pop in to this one and say (hardly a surprise!) congratulations to Jessica Lange for her Golden Globe win for "American Horror Story" smile. Note: I'm sure she's reading this, so saying that seems especially urgent wink. Also to "Modern Family" (Best Comedy Series) and Peter Dinklage (Best Supporting Actor for "Game of Thrones"). I'm unfamiliar with "Homeland", since it's a premium channel show, but I'm told by excellent sources that it is insanely good ... so congrats to them, too! I won't be peevish (too much) and get all carried away with Kelsey Grammer winning - I saw one episode of "Boss" and one was way enough, in my opinion. Enough said about that, though. Maybe it got better?

#824854 - Wed Sep 19 2012 10:38 AM Re: Fall 2011 New Tv Season [Re: Gatsby722]
BxBarracuda Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bronx
New York USA     
I am not thrilled that a show I was really hoping for "Last Resort", which stars a favorite actor or mine, Andrew Braugher, is slated for an 8 o'clock start time.

I fear it's either geared for a different audience then I fit into, even though the premise and previews wouldn't suggest that, or it will not get near as many viewers in that time slot.

#824964 - Wed Sep 19 2012 04:02 PM Re: Fall 2011 New Tv Season [Re: BxBarracuda]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Originally Posted By: BxBarracuda
I am not thrilled that a show I was really hoping for "Last Resort", which stars a favorite actor or mine, Andrew Braugher, is slated for an 8 o'clock start time.

I fear it's either geared for a different audience then I fit into, even though the premise and previews wouldn't suggest that, or it will not get near as many viewers in that time slot.

It's doomed being in that time slot. Against Big Bang Theory and XFactor? Really? I still have no idea what the show is about, and early indications seem that that show won't last no matter the time slot.

However, I too am a huge Andre Braugher fan. Just wish he'd find a series that stays on the air. I really dug the show "Thief" when that was on...but didn't last past a season. He was simply brilliant in "Homicide" and even in his minor role on "House".

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong